British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

sallysimmons Aug 14th 2011 11:20 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9558143)
About 15 years ago Liverpool University set up a Scousers Mailing list, that was my first foray into social networking when I got my first PC. We have kept on and off correspondence over the years (the list was shut down some time ago) more off than on to be honest but with the emergence of Facebook, some online friendships were resurrected.

Well today I am going into south Liverpool to meet up with 3 of the ladies for the first time, one lives in Australia (Jenny) and is over here on holiday, the other 2 are local (Mags and Brenda), we will all meet at a pub for lunch together with about 6 of Jenny's friends, I am looking forward to a fun day. :thumbsup:

Oh how great! I hope the day is fun and that some of the friendships turn into lasting ones! Don't do anything I wouldn't. Low bar but still ...

cheers, for women you could add breast cancer to that list (not just dairy but animal fat in general) and Alzheimers for male and female. There's a book called 'The China Study' that's a real eye opener when it comes to eating animal fat - beware, once you read it it's hard to go back to butter, milk and meat.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 14th 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9557911)
Sallysimmons...Everytime I drink milk I will think of breastmilk yuk. Shall have to purge my mind of that thought.:ohmy:

Me too, I was eating a bowl of cereal when I read that, somehow it didn't taste the same after reading it that way :lol:

Gabgoeshome Aug 14th 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9557815)
Well yes, that's what it is. It's the milk a cow produces to feed its baby, just like a woman produces milk to feed her child. Only these cows are kept artificially producing milk for their whole lives.

Once I stopped and thought about it, I realized it can't be good for us. The nutrients in cow's milk were designed to feed calves so they grow up to be healthy cows. Surely adult humans have different nutritional needs that a baby cow? Anyway, just the thought of what it is is gross enough to put me off. I'm not drinking anyone's breast milk. LOL!

Yes, I know what you mean :) just that its not really breast milk is it? ...cows have udders.

I agree with you though, cows milk *is* for baby cows...just wish I could find an alternative.

Rice milk is the only 'milk' I can stomach as an alternate drink ...sometimes...;)

Beedubya Aug 14th 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9558538)
Oh how great! I hope the day is fun and that some of the friendships turn into lasting ones! Don't do anything I wouldn't. Low bar but still ...

cheers, for women you could add breast cancer to that list (not just dairy but animal fat in general) and Alzheimers for male and female. There's a book called 'The China Study' that's a real eye opener when it comes to eating animal fat - beware, once you read it it's hard to go back to butter, milk and meat.

Oh wow what a great day I just had. :thumbsup: There were about 12 of us and we all had a carvery lunch. :thumbsup:

The only people I "knew" were those off the former Scousers list but we all of us just got on so well with everbody else. I am arranging with the Scousers list ladies who live here to visit Southport soon to meet up with another lady Marge, who lives there and who is getting on a bit. I had only met one of the ladies (Brenda) twice before on my visits home and she is lovely, she even said I could stay at her place for the night!!

Don't worry Sally, I was as good as gold. :angel_smile:

cheers Aug 14th 2011 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9559234)
Oh wow what a great day I just had. :thumbsup: There were about 12 of us and we all had a carvery lunch. :thumbsup:

The only people I "knew" were those off the former Scousers list but we all of us just got on so well with everbody else. I am arranging with the Scousers list ladies who live here to visit Southport soon to meet up with another lady Marge, who lives there and who is getting on a bit. I had only met one of the ladies (Brenda) twice before on my visits home and she is lovely, she even said I could stay at her place for the night!!

I think that Marge was from the Edge Hill area and her husband is a retired school teacher. If it is the same one she has two daughters.

Beedubya Aug 14th 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9559239)
I think that Marge was from the Edge Hill area and her husband is a retired school teacher. If it is the same one she has two daughters.

Oooh sounds familiar Cheers, but it has been soooo long ago I have forgotten, do you remember Mags (still lives in Huyton, social worker married to Eddie) and Brenda now lives in Ormskirk with her husband Arthur.....

Celticspirit Aug 15th 2011 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9558143)
About 15 years ago Liverpool University set up a Scousers Mailing list, that was my first foray into social networking when I got my first PC. We have kept on and off correspondence over the years (the list was shut down some time ago) more off than on to be honest but with the emergence of Facebook, some online friendships were resurrected.

Well today I am going into south Liverpool to meet up with 3 of the ladies for the first time, one lives in Australia (Jenny) and is over here on holiday, the other 2 are local (Mags and Brenda), we will all meet at a pub for lunch together with about 6 of Jenny's friends, I am looking forward to a fun day. :thumbsup:

Cheers you may remember some of the names from when you were on the list too?

How fun!!

Celticspirit Aug 15th 2011 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9558971)
Yes, I know what you mean :) just that its not really breast milk is it? ...cows have udders.

I agree with you though, cows milk *is* for baby cows...just wish I could find an alternative.

Rice milk is the only 'milk' I can stomach as an alternate drink ...sometimes...;)

I only drink or use almond milk. Its not quite the same but has similar values for calcium and vitamin D.

Gabgoeshome Aug 15th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9559794)
I only drink or use almond milk. Its not quite the same but has similar values for calcium and vitamin D.

Do you know what lol? I have no idea why I wrote rice milk...

Its actually almond milk that I drink too... I must be going mad:confused:

Its actually quite creamy isn't it?

Celticspirit Aug 15th 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9560382)
Do you know what lol? I have no idea why I wrote rice milk...

Its actually almond milk that I drink too... I must be going mad:confused:

Its actually quite creamy isn't it?

It is creamy and tastes like it would be higher in calories but it is actually lower than 2% cows milk.

jasper123 Aug 15th 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9555965)
hey Rodney, check out the University of the Third Age:

http://portsmouthu3a.org.uk/

:)

Thanks Elvira,
Im going to give them a call :)
Rodney.

jasper123 Aug 15th 2011 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9559234)

Sounds like fun Barb ----- how come you didn't invite me? :)

Beedubya Aug 16th 2011 6:50 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9561699)
Sounds like fun Barb ----- how come you didn't invite me? :)

You would have been overwhelmed by all the female energy Rodney. :D

Beedubya Aug 16th 2011 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9560889)
It is creamy and tastes like it would be higher in calories but it is actually lower than 2% cows milk.

Can you drink it in tea or coffee? I will look out for this in the supermarket, can you even get it over here???

sallysimmons Aug 16th 2011 11:38 am

I haven't seen Almond milk in the UK (doesn't mean it's not there, just that I haven't come across it).

I know you can get soy milk there, which is what I drink. It's a little sweeter and creamier than cow's milk and you can buy a light version that's lower in calories. If you use it in tea, you need much less of it than regular milk otherwise the creaminess overwhelms the tea.

I think it tastes nicer than cow's milk and it's definitely better for you.