British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong Jun 8th 2014 12:46 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11292637)
Islandwoman and Windsong I hope you see a solution.
I understand Islandwoman the housing situation because I share your discouragement at finding a house that is affordable. I also compare the prices of what you could pay for a home in the US but I wouldn't swap places. I would stay in Dawlish. You will find something.

Windsong you are in a situation were you could gamble. Can you get a rush on your replacement passport?

Cheers

Unfortunately not, Cheers. I don't believe they do rushes on expired passports for expats. I will be contacting an MP over there, though. Three months wait is a national disgrace!

cheers Jun 8th 2014 2:27 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11292664)
Unfortunately not, Cheers. I don't believe they do rushes on expired passports for expats. I will be contacting an MP over there, though. Three months wait is a national disgrace!

So when are you going? Next week maybe?

windsong Jun 8th 2014 2:30 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11292725)
So when are you going? Next week maybe?

By mid-July. :) I really have to hustle now to get the pets prepped, get their airline carriers, etc. I am still in shock! I will have to go in on my US passport and have my friend send the dogs the next day. I hate to do this but I have no choice. I can't take them with me when I am using my US passport because having pets with me makes it obvious I am staying.

cheers Jun 8th 2014 2:34 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11292727)
By mid-July. :) I really have to hustle now to get the pets prepped, get their airline carriers, etc. I am still in shock!

Wow I envie you even though I realize it's not the time table you wanted.

windsong Jun 8th 2014 2:39 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11292730)
Wow I envie you even though I realize it's not the time table you wanted.

Well, it is assuming, of course, I can still stay with my half-sister. I have to call her tomorrow to find out. Her computer needs repair apparently so no emails. I wrote to her five weeks ago but have had no response. Fingers crossed!!

At this point, I don't know how I feel. Yes, I do! Scared stiff! Also concerned because I have to try to stay calm and do all the preparation in only four weeks. Yikes!

cheers Jun 8th 2014 3:05 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11292732)
Well, it is assuming, of course, I can still stay with my half-sister. I have to call her tomorrow to find out. Her computer needs repair apparently so no emails. I wrote to her five weeks ago but have had no response. Fingers crossed!!

At this point, I don't know how I feel. Yes, I do! Scared stiff! Also concerned because I have to try to stay calm and do all the preparation in only four weeks. Yikes!

OK so just think of the good stuff.

windsong Jun 8th 2014 3:33 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11292745)
OK so just think of the good stuff.

You are absolutely right, Cheers! After all I have been through this year, I can get through this - and, besides, there's all good stuff at the end of it! :D Can't wait to touch the green, green grass of home! ;)

islandwoman120 Jun 8th 2014 7:08 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11292758)
You are absolutely right, Cheers! After all I have been through this year, I can get through this - and, besides, there's all good stuff at the end of it! :D Can't wait to touch the green, green grass of home! ;)

I don't get the dog situation: surely if you are entering the UK on a non-UK passport (even though you do hold a UK passport which is expired) how will your dogs enter? Are they being sent to your sister's care?

islandwoman120 Jun 8th 2014 7:11 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11292637)
I understand Islandwoman the housing situation because I share your discouragement at finding a house that is affordable. I also compare the prices of what you could pay for a home in the US but I wouldn't swap places. I would stay in Dawlish. You will find something.

Cheers

The housing situation IS a national disgrace. The fact that there are ex-council houses for sale in the £200K price range makes my blood boil, when the housing lists are so long. They do happen to be amongst the best built places, with the largest gardens which adds to my fury as I want a garden but my conscience fights me all the time when I see these types of properties on the open market.
Now do you want to talk about the wheelie bins or the dog poo? I am in the mood to take this on verbally again.....

between two worlds Jun 8th 2014 8:39 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 11292857)
The housing situation IS a national disgrace. The fact that there are ex-council houses for sale in the £200K price range makes my blood boil, when the housing lists are so long. They do happen to be amongst the best built places, with the largest gardens which adds to my fury as I want a garden but my conscience fights me all the time when I see these types of properties on the open market.
Now do you want to talk about the wheelie bins or the dog poo? I am in the mood to take this on verbally again.....

Yes, the housing situation is so difficult. When we were looking for flats here in Gloucestershire, my husband made the mistake of looking in the US to see what he could get there for the same money--it is agonising!! You have to WANT to be in UK to make this extra cost worth it.

Wheelie bins RUIN the look of so many pretty streets, it is a great shame.

Dog poo--actually here the problem is not nearly as bad as it was where we lived in France, so that is less of an issue for me.

dunroving Jun 8th 2014 9:22 am

By mid-July. :) I really have to hustle now to get the pets prepped, get their airline carriers, etc. I am still in shock! I will have to go in on my US passport and have my friend send the dogs the next day. I hate to do this but I have no choice. I can't take them with me when I am using my US passport because having pets with me makes it obvious I am staying.

I don't see why your US passport would be a problem in this situation. For one thing, you will go through passport control before you pick up the dogs. For another, you are a UK citizen (didn't someone say you can actually enter on an expired passport - or something similar?).

For another, what's to stop you saying you are bringing the dogs back, leaving them with your sister, having a holiday, returning to the US, and will return on your UK passport at a later date? Non-UK citizens bring dogs into the country all the time ... so even if you were only a US citizen, why would that stop you bringing your dogs to leave with your sister?

During your "holiday", you can apply for your UK passport and the question is then moot... surely?

It seems like you are over-complicating things, but I could be wrong about any of what I said above.

srqtoldn Jun 8th 2014 10:26 am

Hi Tina

I thought I would just let you know that when I returned to the UK in November 2011, I travelled on my US passport, which meant filling out a landing card for the UK, but also carried my expired British passport. When going through immigration I showed both my expired UK passport as well as the US one, and was lucky as the officer allowed me to go through as if I had just travelled on a British passport, and handed me back the landing card with my passport, which meant no restrictions whatsoever. I did mention that I was moving back permanently.

Good luck in the upcoming few weeks.

Sue

formula Jun 8th 2014 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11291744)
Lots of celebrations all around the South Coast, especially from Portsmouth to Wey mouth where many of the ships and troops involved left from, there were also celebrations at Bletchley Park, where the code breakers not only deciphered the German codes, but used 5th columnists to send messages to the Germans that the invasion was to be at the Cap de Calais, a very sucessful ploy as it diverted a huge amount of German forces and armour there, and even in October '44 they were still there waiting for the invasion that never came. It shows how good the false messages were, and how good the agents were that got them believed. people working at Bletchley were sworn to secrecy about thier roles for 25 years. It wassn't till 1974 that the role Bletchley had during the war was fully explained.

A trip to Bletchly Park is a good day out and very cheap as the entrance fee gives an annual pass. Engineers have also rebuilt The Bombe that was designed by Gordon Welchman and Alan Turing (the father of the modern day computers) to help decipher the 157,000,000(?) combinations of the daily enimga code. http://www.ellsbury.com/enigmabombe.htm Named the Bombe in honour of the Polish mathmaticians who first worked out how the German enigma code could be cracked.

There are also details and photos of the Royal Navy ships and men on them who captured the first enigma machine. Normal practice was for the Germans to flood their U-boat before jumping overboard, the allies would then collect those sailors and ram the u-boat as it sank. On this occasion the captain of the u-boat didn't sink it properly and it was going down slowly. The order to ram the u-boat was called off by one RN captain when he realised what an opportunity this offered and young British sailors were diving into the sea to board the u-boat. The German captain saw the Brits swimming to his vessel and tried to swim back to it to make sure it did sink, but he never made it.

It's staggering to see how many young British sailers gave their lives trying to get the daily codes and enigmas machines off sinking U-boats. There are life stories and pictures of some of those men, in the huts at Bletchley.

Also a good section from the pigeon society in Hut 4. Once the Germans realised how useful messenger pigeons were (and people on the coastine of the UK shot down the hawks they sent up to kill our pigeons) they used them too. There was a fine in the UK if you shot a pigeon, but a reward if you shot a hawk.

The pigeon breeders got up to lots of tricks too i.e. they would capture German pigeons and replace them with one that looked like it, then drop that pigeon in a special pigeon partachute (one on display at Bletchley) over Germany, so that it was too tired to fly home and would follow German pigeons to a German coup. Then when the Germans used that pigeon again, it would fly to it's coup in the UK with the german message:D

dunroving Jun 8th 2014 11:57 am

Originally Posted by srqtoldn (Post 11293005)
Hi Tina

I thought I would just let you know that when I returned to the UK in November 2011, I travelled on my US passport, which meant filling out a landing card for the UK, but also carried my expired British passport. When going through immigration I showed both my expired UK passport as well as the US one, and was lucky as the officer allowed me to go through as if I had just travelled on a British passport, and handed me back the landing card with my passport, which meant no restrictions whatsoever. I did mention that I was moving back permanently.

Good luck in the upcoming few weeks.

Sue

This thread addresses the possibility of entering the UK on an expired UK passport:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642808

- It's 5 years old so still needs further research, but there are several links that may add further detail.
- I also used Google and found loads of sources addressing the same question issue (e.g., simply Googling Can I enter the UK on an expired passport). Might be worthwhile using Google as well as asking BE'ers to answer the question, especially as there seems to be some urgency about the situation..

windsong Jun 8th 2014 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11293077)
This thread addresses the possibility of entering the UK on an expired UK passport:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642808

- It's 5 years old so still needs further research, but there are several links that may add further detail.
- I also used Google and found loads of sources addressing the same question issue (e.g., simply Googling Can I enter the UK on an expired passport). Might be worthwhile using Google as well as asking BE'ers to answer the question, especially as there seems to be some urgency about the situation..

Thanks, Dunroving. I read the thread at the link you posted and will also Google this.

I am confused about why I cannot enter the UK as a visitor on my US passport and simply renew my UK passport when in the UK. I will have my pets with me and I know it looks suspicious but surely I could simply be visiting and taking my dogs to live with my relative over there. Surely, someone must have done that at some point in time.

I thought of having my friend take my dogs over. She is a US citizen and there is no dual citizenship issue with her. After I thought of that idea, I thought well why can't I do the very same thing? It is so confusing.

I don't want to end up in jail over there simply because my passport is expired and nor do I want to return to the USA. I am really worried about this.