British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong May 25th 2014 2:16 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 11275174)
I dunno... I have a dog and when we go on holiday she goes to a host family to stay and I also act as a host family so have dogs come to stay with me when their owners are on holiday.

From my experience of the way my dog is both when she goes off on holiday and when she comes back, along with how the dogs are that come to us on holiday (perfectly relaxed and happy - never yet seen one come anything close to 'pining') I actually would have no qualms about re-homing a dog (with a suitable family) if that was necessary.

But - each to their own - no right or wrong thing to do :)

It's hard on older dogs to be rehomed.

One of the reasons I am still in the U.S. is because of my pets. I had four when I first came to this forum and wanted to take them all back - which meant lots of savings and a delay in moving. Four years later, I have two now - two died in the interim. I think many here know how much I yearned to go back but I would not - could not - leave my pets behind. I love them dearly and they love me just as much.

This year, all being well, all of us will go home.

dunroving May 25th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11275061)
Thanks so much for the lovely welcome everyone :) Places like this are gold, aren't they? I'm fairly active on the Oz forum, not that I'm particularly useful! I mainly just try to give new arrivals, and those going home, a bit of advice about Oz stuff.

Fish and Chips, I'm probably going to sound silly but I don't think Murphy (dog/friend) would be able to handle the long haul flights. As uncommon as it is for the breed, he's always been terrified of traveling in cars, and that's with one of us with him to (trying to) reassure him. Trips to the vet, even when he's not sick and just going for immunization shots, are such an ordeal for him. He trembles violently and froths at the mouth. We used to get a vet that did home visits but then a vet opened closer to us, so we walk him there now. It takes about half an hour each way so our vet always gives us the earliest appointment in summer, and we take water so he can have a drink on the way.

I hope everyone's had a bit of sunshine today (literal and metaphorical) :) The looong, hot WA summer has finally given up the ghost and we're getting chilly nights and cool days. And rain, blessed rain! Water is more precious than gold here.

If it's of any use Suzy was of a similar temperament. Any time she was on a "moving surface" she would tremble and drool. When she was in the back of my truck cabin on longer trips, she'd wedge her butt against the back of the cab and plonk her chin on the armrest/in my "lap". Imagine what several hours' worth of dog drool in my "lap" looked like by the time we erached our destination!

Anyway, despite her seeming dislike of travel, she successfully travelled by car/truck (both inside, and in a kennel in the back), by train, by ferry, and most importantly, three plane flights across the Atlantic. I can understand you feeling protective of Murphy but dogs can surprise us at what they can survive.

Whether to transport a pet with you when you move is a very personal decision and varies depending on the situation. If Murphy likes your brother and your brother likes him, leaving him behind may be for the best (and I wouldn't judge you either way), but if you really want him with you, I'd say don't let the idea of a long haul flight put you off.

spouse of scouse May 25th 2014 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11275186)
If it's of any use Suzy was of a similar temperament. Any time she was on a "moving surface" she would tremble and drool. When she was in the back of my truck cabin on longer trips, she'd wedge her butt against the back of the cab and plonk her chin on the armrest/in my "lap". Imagine what several hours' worth of dog drool in my "lap" looked like by the time we erached our destination!

Anyway, despite her seeming dislike of travel, she successfully travelled by car/truck (both inside, and in a kennel in the back), by train, by ferry, and most importantly, three plane flights across the Atlantic. I can understand you feeling protective of Murphy but dogs can surprise us at what they can survive.

Whether to transport a pet with you when you move is a very personal decision and varies depending on the situation. If Murphy likes your brother and your brother likes him, leaving him behind may be for the best (and I wouldn't judge you either way), but if you really want him with you, I'd say don't let the idea of a long haul flight put you off.

Thanks dunroving (and windsong and rebs) :-)

Dunroving, I can well imagine the state of your lap after several hours of doggy drool :lol: We'll be living in a flat, for practical and necessary reasons so not good for a dog - but it's not really that, we really do feel that he would be incredibly distressed for 2 flights totaling 24 hours. I know that most pets survive the process but whether we're right or wrong, knowing Murphy as we do we just can't subject him to it.

I agree that it's very much a personal thing, whether to take your pet/s with you or rehome and also agree that there's no wrong or right decision. I saw a thread once when a woman who'd had all sorts of personal and financial problems was going back to her home country and talking about the best way to rehome her dog to a loving family. While some people were supportive and gave her good suggestions, others ripped her to shreds. Quite unnecessary and very upsetting :(

There's only two choices for us. We could rehome Murphy with one of Bill's sons - he was 23 and living at home when Murphy arrived as a puppy, and he was 30 when he moved out a couple of years ago. He's also in and out several times a week so he's one of 'Murphy's people'. He's a good lad and we know he'd look after Murphy, but he works full time so Murphy would be on his own all day. I know that's not the end of the world, but he's a people dog and is stuck like glue to either Scouse or I all day.

The other choice is to delay our move until - it's hard to even write it! - until Murphy's no longer with us. It's in the 'too hard' basket for now :unsure:

dunroving May 25th 2014 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11275206)
Thanks dunroving (and windsong and rebs) :-)

Dunroving, I can well imagine the state of your lap after several hours of doggy drool :lol: We'll be living in a flat, for practical and necessary reasons so not good for a dog - but it's not really that, we really do feel that he would be incredibly distressed for 2 flights totaling 24 hours. I know that most pets survive the process but whether we're right or wrong, knowing Murphy as we do we just can't subject him to it.

I agree that it's very much a personal thing, whether to take your pet/s with you or rehome and also agree that there's no wrong or right decision. I saw a thread once when a woman who'd had all sorts of personal and financial problems was going back to her home country and talking about the best way to rehome her dog to a loving family. While some people were supportive and gave her good suggestions, others ripped her to shreds. Quite unnecessary and very upsetting :(

There's only two choices for us. We could rehome Murphy with one of Bill's sons - he was 23 and living at home when Murphy arrived as a puppy, and he was 30 when he moved out a couple of years ago. He's also in and out several times a week so he's one of 'Murphy's people'. He's a good lad and we know he'd look after Murphy, but he works full time so Murphy would be on his own all day. I know that's not the end of the world, but he's a people dog and is stuck like glue to either Scouse or I all day.

The other choice is to delay our move until - it's hard to even write it! - until Murphy's no longer with us. It's in the 'too hard' basket for now :unsure:

I think that all makes sense - many dogs rehome successfully with people they never met (as much as our egos won't accept it, they do adapt to life without us). If Murphy knows Bill's son, all the better.

I forgot to add that Suzy also travelled by canoe! That was a complete disaster, long story for another post (currently in Toronto Airport about to board my next flight). Suffice to say she kept capsizing the canoe trying to jump out and we eventually had to swim to shore and walk about 5 miles through snake-infested woodland to re-join our expedition group! She and I had a few adventures over the years ...

Suzy lasted until she was almost 15 years old - I know it's a tough subject to think about, but would you postpone moving for 6 years (or longer)?

I wonder how dogs do with Skype ....

spouse of scouse May 25th 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11275234)
I think that all makes sense - many dogs rehome successfully with people they never met (as much as our egos won't accept it, they do adapt to life without us). If Murphy knows Bill's son, all the better.

I forgot to add that Suzy also travelled by canoe! That was a complete disaster, long story for another post (currently in Toronto Airport about to board my next flight). Suffice to say she kept capsizing the canoe trying to jump out and we eventually had to swim to shore and walk about 5 miles through snake-infested woodland to re-join our expedition group! She and I had a few adventures over the years ...

Suzy lasted until she was almost 15 years old - I know it's a tough subject to think about, but would you postpone moving for 6 years (or longer)?

I wonder how dogs do with Skype ....

I like the sound of your Suzy! I'm sure it was no laughing matter at the time, but I couldn't help smiling when I read about her canoe shenanigans, and the aftermath! Lucky you loved her so much, the scamp :lol:
I really don't know the answer to your question :( Although I know it has to be faced. I would wait if it was just me involved - which is a bloody silly thing to say because if it was just me involved I wouldn't be going at all!

I worry for Bill, out of a tribe of 13 kids there's only him and one brother left. There was three but one passed away late last year. Bill flew back home twice and spent a lot of time with him and his other brother last year. It's not just that he wants to go back, I think he needs to.

Just saw the bit about dogs and Skype! Hahaaa! When Bill was working offshore I'd put the phone to his ear - it wasn't food so he wasn't interested :-)

cheers May 25th 2014 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 11275074)
Ha Ha Ha ----------------------- I should be so lucky!!!!! ;)

On the pay check thing, I used to love those little brown envelopes with the money in, when I left school at 15 in 1960 my pay was £2.10s in envelope I got two one pound notes and a 10 shilling note, and the next year I got a raise of one shilling and sixpence and so there was a little silver in there too,
The last time I worked in UK was 1974 that was the year I started my life in USA
and we still got paid in cash in envelope,

Everyone remember I had to cancel my flight to Texas cause my 95 year old Mum had another fall at home after her accident playing bowls, so I ddidn'tthink it a good Idea to leave, so I have no plans at moment to reschedule my trip, not this year though!!!!

Im amazed at how many pages I had to go back to catch up with all the posts, it took a lot of reading, reminds me of the old days in 2009 when I joined this thread :)
And so many new posters breathing life into this thread ------- to all of you please keep breathing :thumbsup:

Take care,
Rodney.

You have been gone off the list for a long time and this is all you have to say.........................:lol:
Hows Mom?
Is your now Texas friend still in the UK?
How the weather? I've heard its been hot and then I see you have rain???

Cheers

dunroving May 25th 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11275256)
I like the sound of your Suzy! I'm sure it was no laughing matter at the time, but I couldn't help smiling when I read about her canoe shenanigans, and the aftermath! Lucky you loved her so much, the scamp :lol:
I really don't know the answer to your question :( Although I know it has to be faced. I would wait if it was just me involved - which is a bloody silly thing to say because if it was just me involved I wouldn't be going at all!

I worry for Bill, out of a tribe of 13 kids there's only him and one brother left. There was three but one passed away late last year. Bill flew back home twice and spent a lot of time with him and his other brother last year. It's not just that he wants to go back, I think he needs to.

Just saw the bit about dogs and Skype! Hahaaa! When Bill was working offshore I'd put the phone to his ear - it wasn't food so he wasn't interested :-)

6 years is a long time to postpone a major life move like returning to the UK. A lot can happen in 6 years. I came back in 2006 (nearly 8 years now) and a lot of water has pased under the bridge in that time.

As for being a "scamp", Suzy's vet in NC and also in Scotland described her as "neurotic" (she was a rescue dog). In many ways she was (quite nervous in some situations) but in other ways she was much calmer than most dogs - never one of those dogs to keep pestering you, or obnoxious towards other dogs. She also adapted well from being an "out in the back yard all day" dog to "cooped up inside all day with two visits from the dog walker" dog. She was the best friend a person could ask for.

When I retire (maybe 4 years, fingers crossed) I will get another rescue.

[p.s. Now in Philly - thank goodness for free airport wi-fi!]

jasper123 May 26th 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11275351)
You have been gone off the list for a long time and this is all you have to say.........................:lol:
Hows Mom?
Is your now Texas friend still in the UK?
How the weather? I've heard its been hot and then I see you have rain???

Cheers

Hi cheers,
Mums getting much better thanks to the physio therapists coming around every day to put mum through her exersises, she has progressed from her walking frame to a walking stick, and her appetite has returned to normal, she is gradually learning to look after herself rather then relying on me for everything,
yesterday it was a lovely day, blue skies and sunshine and I got Mum outside in the garden for the first time in over 2 months, and together we were pulling out all the weeds, we had fun doing it too, then after that we sat on the garden bench and enjoyed the sunshine and listening to the birds sing and admiring our garden,
Today though its raining quite heavy, but I love it!!! I love the constant change in our skies, the white patchy clouds that turn into dark clouds in minutes, a perfectly blue sky that can change into a cloudy sky in 10 or 15 minutes, rain one day, sunny the next, a week of rain then a few days of sun,
Lovely!!!!!
Art my friend had to return to the States early cause he had a family emergency, but it was nice having him stay with us while he was here!!!
Take care cheers,
Rodney.

NiHao May 26th 2014 11:37 am

Spouse of Scouse,

What a wonderful story of how you and your husband met and fell in love! Just beautiful.

On the topic of your dog. One of my good school friends moved to Oz with her family, they had a beautiful golden retriever who they really adored but who they did not want to put through the stress of the trip. Money was no issue it was purely that they didn't want to put her through it. So she came to live with us, we did a trial run she did great and so it was agreed she would become ours. Absolutely wonderful, wonderful dog who we loved just as much as her first family. It was really hard for her first family to leave her but they had the comfort of updates from us and they knew it was the right thing for her. I saw first hand that as long as a dog is loved and well cared for by whoever they are with they do great!

Do what you know is right for your dog, whether that be to bring or re-home you and your husband are the ones who know what would be best :)

NiHao May 26th 2014 11:37 am

Jasper123,

Glad to hear your Mum is doing better :)

between two worlds May 26th 2014 11:49 am

Great update and wonderful story, Spouse of Scouse! So glad you have joined us here!

I agree with those who say it is fine to leave the dog with someone he knows and likes, and you certainly shouldn't wait six years or however long to get back to Liverpool....

Rodney, great to hear about your Mum's continued excellent recovery.

Yes, I too love these changeable skies!!

trottytrue May 26th 2014 8:44 pm

spouse of scouse....We have dog that loves to go rides in the car likes to stick her head out of the window and would probably do very well taking the trip to the UK but our daughter has a dog that is so nervous you only have to jingle the car keys and he runs and hides. He gets in the car and shakes all the time till he gets to the destination and he has been known to throw up. . I dont think he would do well moving to the UK. If your dog has somebody he can stay with and is happy with them then I think your fine.

trottytrue May 26th 2014 8:47 pm

Jasper123....So glad to hear that your Mum is progressing so well with the summer weather coming she will feel even better. Just to get out and about even if its only small trips. Sorry about Art not being able to stay but at least you got to see him. Are you able to get out again or are you still concerned about leaving your Mum alone.

trottytrue May 26th 2014 8:48 pm

Cheers...Do you remember the girl who moved back to the UK and posted till a few months ago, I know she wasnt well and had been having health problems cant seem to think of her name.

trottytrue May 26th 2014 8:52 pm

I dont know about the rest of you but do you think it would be a good idea to set up a thread for people who are thinking of leaving the UK instead of going back. I think we could be a great deal of help to them. I see posting from others so excited about leaving the UK and I just wish we could give them the bigger picture but only if theywanted it. If I had had the internet and read some of the posting from just a few of you I would definately have thought twice before leaving.