Coronavirus

Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by bats
In olden days, pre corona, we medical professionals used to wear regukar masks to protect the parient from us and n95 masks to protect ourselves from the patient. Patients and visitors were asked to wear a mask if they had a cough or cold. Proven infection control measures. Why do some of you think it's any different now when it's even more important?
because some think they are more superior/knowledgable/invincible whereas in reality they are ignorant/selfish/vulnerable.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
because some think they are more superior/knowledgable/invincible whereas in reality they are ignorant/selfish/vulnerable.
Many seem to think that some combination of religious belief and knowledge of perceived conspiracy theories trumps science, medical science, and statistics.

One of my favourite observations at the moment, in arguing with covidiots, is that "128,000 people [or whatever the current number is] in the US weren't killed by a conspiracy theory."
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Many seem to think that some combination of religious belief and knowledge of perceived conspiracy theories trumps science, medical science, and statistics.

One of my favourite observations at the moment, in arguing with covidiots, is that "128,000 people [or whatever the current number is] in the US weren't killed by a conspiracy theory."
Do you have the energy to argue with such people? What's the point?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you have the energy to argue with such people?
Not really, I just throw out a barbed or snarky comment or two for my own amusement.

Examples:
When told to "Do my own research", I replied "I have done my own research, and continue to do so, and have concluded that your view point is profoundly ignorant of the facts."

In response to a "Give me freedom or give me death" trope: "Those two things are not mutually exclusive! LOL"

And in response to a random assertion that coronavirus test kits are contaminated with coronavirus to further speread the disease: "Ah yes, another twist to the Grand Coronavirus Conspiracy Theory!"

What's the point?
Are you Mrs P?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you are an agent of the conspiracy, spreading disinformation to help Bill Gates and the New World Order oppress the free world!
I like to think so.

oh, I did read that COVID was caused by the heavy metals in the flu vaccine. Seemed obvious to me.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by bats
... Oh, I did read that COVID was caused by the heavy metals in the flu vaccine. Seemed obvious to me.
Which is probably the most ridiculous slur on the reputation of heavy metal since Tipper Gore was running the PMRC.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, I just throw out a barbed or snarky comment or two for my own amusement.

Examples:
When told to "Do my own research", I replied "I have done my own research, and continue to do so, and have concluded that your view point is profoundly ignorant of the facts."

In response to a "Give me freedom or give me death" trope: "Those two things are not mutually exclusive! LOL"

And in response to a random assertion that coronavirus test kits are contaminated with coronavirus to further speread the disease: "Ah yes, another twist to the Grand Coronavirus Conspiracy Theory!"

Are you Mrs P?
As much as I like the US, some Americans would drive me mental.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:56 pm

As much as I like the US, some Americans would drive me mental.
I agree, and I only maintain my sanity in the presence of some, by nodding and smiling, and ignoring some of them entirely.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:17 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I'm seeing something wrongly here, but....we are in the middle of a pandemic, the like of which has never been seen. I did in fact meet my husband during an outbreak of bubonic plague whilst paddling through a very shallow foot bath of dubious looking antiseptic on a border...but...I followed the rules and lived another day. Why in heavens name would anyone think that this is anything other than chaos and bad planning on the part of the US? They are becoming infected because they can't even wait a few weeks, they have been the architects of their own problems. What is this guff about face masks? I don't like wearing them...they make me hot and sticky! Poor me! The other person on the other side of my mask doesn't need to be worried about me...give the other person a break? It's only good manners!
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have the energy to argue with such people? What's the point?
Are you Mrs P?
An old favourite.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF
I'm sure I'm seeing something wrongly here, but....we are in the middle of a pandemic, the like of which has never been seen. .....
..... In anyone who is alive to day's lifetime. The Black Death and the Great Plague were worse, much worse. The jury is still out on whether the flu pandemic of 1918-1921 was worse.
.... I did in fact meet my husband during an outbreak of bubonic plague whilst paddling through a very shallow foot bath of dubious looking antiseptic on a border...but...I followed the rules and lived another day. Why in heavens name would anyone think that this is anything other than chaos and bad planning on the part of the US? They are becoming infected because they can't even wait a few weeks, they have been the architects of their own problems. What is this guff about face masks? I don't like wearing them...they make me hot and sticky! Poor me! The other person on the other side of my mask doesn't need to be worried about me...give the other person a break? It's only good manners!
The seeds of the problem in the US is that the US constitution guarantees, certain specific rights for individuals, which are basically freedoms from being told what to do by the government, and those rights are absolute, there is no "except if there is a global pandemic" clause.

So the restrictions to try to reduce the numbers of cornavirus infections in the US, that have been most successful, most widely implemented and observed in the US, are public safety restrictions on restaurants, hotels, and theatres, which require public safety inspections and certificates to be allowed to operate. But while some states have tried to close churches, and in fairness most US churches have taken the hint and closed, when a few churches have challenged in court the right of a state government to close a church, the churches have invariably won - on the basis that the US constitution guarantees the rights of citizens to practice their religion without any restriction by the government.

Other things that have been successfully closed in the US are parks, beaches and other public spaces - if the city owns the park then the city can close the park.

Then there is the matter of the US lunatics who sincerely believe that the state and federal governments are out to get them, to take their rights and liberties and force them into government run servitude. There is no hope of trying to rationize with such people, but while the hard liners are relatively rare, I would say that perhaps 20% of Americans have some degree of sympathy for such ideas and thoughts, and the non-mask-wearing loonies and the crowds in parks and on beaches are drawn from that 20% of the population.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 1st 2020 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

there was an American on TV last night who said they would not wear masks because ‘God will save us’.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

there was an American on TV last night who said they would not wear masks because ‘God will save us’.
He will once they get to Heaven
Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:56 pm

there was an American on TV last night who said they would not wear masks because ‘God will save us’. ....
I thought he had already been "saved".

God didn't care enough to save this idiot though, or it was just God calling him home?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 1st 2020 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 10:06 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

..... In anyone who is alive to day's lifetime. The Black Death and the Great Plague were worse, much worse. The jury is still out on whether the flu pandemic of 1918-1921 was worse.

I do apologize​​​​...These were far worse...this was just a scary blip that I lived through, my father was a little boy in the flu pandemic...people did grow to shake hands etc after this too. This too will pass...eventually, one hopes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.