Coronavirus

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B
This is how I am dealing with it where I live.

If I am outside in a small crowd of less than 30, I'm not worried. No mask and not really concerned about being 2m apart.
If I am inside, a small shop for example, no mask but I do social distance and turn my head away when social distancing isn't possible, small aisles for example.
If I get my haircut or visit the dentist, I will do whatever they tell me to do. No questions asked.
I haven't been to a restaurant yet so I'm not sure what I will do there, hopefully sit outside.
I wear a mask when the business requires it, so far its only been the barber and medical lab that has. I try to wear one in Wal-Mart and Super Store, on a typical day day when we are there picking orders its not possible to social distance, people don't care and nobody follows the arrows on the floor, its the wild wild west.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This is more or less what BC has been doing, the initial restrictions (which were still far less restrictive vs say Ontario, and parts of the US) kept the curve low and to a point where the hospitals were never overwhelmed, and once we had consistent falling of new cases and hospitalizations they started lifting various restrictions, phase 3 will see just about everything else reopened, although I wont be surprised if they keep the cap on gatherings to 50 as we have had some outbreak clusters linked to family gatherings, people tend to not take precautions with their family as they would with strangers.

But again we never saw super strict lock down or restrictions other places had.

BC now is doing the managing game, keep the cases to keep hospitalizations low, as long as we don't see massive increases in new cases/hospitalizations I imagine we will not need to go back to phase 2 or phase 1 restrictions.

BC is pushing for longer border closures though, especially with the US, bulk of our early cases are European strain imported from Eastern Canada and strain from US mostly Washington State, so BC government isn't keen on seeing mass influx of travel into BC from outside of BC yet,
Agreed. I'm not saying we should be accepting tourists, but the government should be considering somewhat relaxing the 14 day quarantine for those who already have a right to enter Canada if they have not travelled to a high risk area in the last 14 days.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 6:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
To those that act as if coming within 2 metres of someone will cause them to explode. What is your proposed plan? To remain isolated at home until they find a vaccine (bearing in mind there isn't a vaccine for AIDS yet) and to have those that cannot work from home receive funds from the government until then?

Those jurisdictions that have, supposedly, been the ones whose examples others should follows (Germany, South Korea) are now experiencing spikes too.

I am genuinely interested.
It's not so much exploding I'm worried about as being stuck on a ventilator for a month, and possible death. I find that something of a disincentive.

Coronavirus is moderately infectious, less than measles, but more than the seasonal flu. If I were under 30, I might be a bit more flippant about it, but with age comes wisdom. Generally, speaking.

​​​​​South Korea and Germany have advanced testing and tracing regimes, and are not averse to wearing masks. Direct comparisons are false comfort.

​​​​​
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's not so much exploding I'm worried about as being stuck on a ventilator for a month, and possible death. I find that something of a disincentive.

Coronavirus is moderately infectious, less than measles, but more than the seasonal flu. If I were under 30, I might be a bit more flippant about it, but with age comes wisdom. Generally, speaking.

​​​​​South Korea and Germany have advanced testing and tracing regimes, and are not averse to wearing masks. Direct comparisons are false comfort.

​​​​​
there is also growing concern about the permanent damage it is doing to the lungs to consider...in both the young and old.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

If I am outside in a small crowd of less than 30, I'm not worried. No mask and not really concerned about being 2m apart.
If I am inside, a small shop for example, no mask but I do social distance and turn my head away when social distancing isn't possible, small aisles for example.
If I get my haircut or visit the dentist, I will do whatever they tell me to do. No questions asked.
I haven't been to a restaurant yet so I'm not sure what I will do there, hopefully sit outside.
Exactly the same here. I think many people are looking at it along these lines now. went to opticians last week, was asked to wear a mask, so I did. Haven't been to a pub or restaurant yet.... but that will happen this week... my local has an extended patio area, so will see what the modus operandi is there.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
there is also growing concern about the permanent damage it is doing to the lungs to consider...in both the young and old.
Don't be such a pessimist, that's only if the damage to the heart, liver, or kidneys doesn't kill them. It isn't certain the lung damage will kill them. I've had chemical burns to my lungs, lead poisoning, plus all the usual acquired and inherited heart, stroke, and cancer threats. As before, I put on the mask before going into the store and remove it after, and sanitize on the ways in and out. If I go visit my frail old sister in BC I'll have to quarantine for a while just in case.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I try to wear one in Wal-Mart and Super Store, on a typical day day when we are there picking orders its not possible to social distance, people don't care and nobody follows the arrows on the floor, its the wild wild west.
Agreed, which is why I have only been there once since mid March. It was an utter shambles, and not only for the actions of the public - one employee approached me unannounced and stood by my shoulder - I was at a self scan kiosk and she had decided that I needed assistance.

Lowe's isn't much better and I try to only go there in the morning or the evening or late afternoon, after the pros have been and gone early in the morning, and before or after the peak retail traffic.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Don't be such a pessimist, that's only if the damage to the heart, liver, or kidneys doesn't kill them. It isn't certain the lung damage will kill them. I've had chemical burns to my lungs, lead poisoning, plus all the usual acquired and inherited heart, stroke, and cancer threats. As before, I put on the mask before going into the store and remove it after, and sanitize on the ways in and out. If I go visit my frail old sister in BC I'll have to quarantine for a while just in case.
I didn’t say lung damage would kill...I said it was permanent.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

That's me too.

I have been to restaurants, both when they were limited to 50% capacity and since that has been raised to 100%.

Someone has to keep these business going.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... If I am outside in a small crowd of less than 30, I'm not worried. No mask and not really concerned about being 2m apart.
If I get my haircut or visit the dentist, I will do whatever they tell me to do. No questions asked. .....
I wear a mask when the business requires it, .....
Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
..... went to opticians last week, was asked to wear a mask, so I did. .....
The problem with this "I'll use a mask, but only when told to" approach is that the main benefit to wearing a mask is to stop you transmitting the (asymptomatic) disease to others, so "everyone else" is the primary beneficiary of your mask, and therefore mask-wearing is something that works far better for everyone only if everyone does it.

From my perspective I try to avoid being anywhere near someone (in a grocery, or occasionally Lowe's, as those are about the only places I go at the moment) who isn't wearing a mask - i.e. not "as close as 6ft", I mean avoid them entirely, so not enter an aisle where I see someone without a mask, and usually walk away from if I see them coming towards me, and never loiter anywhere near them even if that means I have to circle back later. Non-mask weares are obviously unconcerned and therefore IMO are at a much greater risk of catching/ carrying the disease.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I didn’t say lung damage would kill...I said it was permanent.
I read your post, don't worry. I just wanted to point out that massive damage to multiple organs has been reported since people started getting really sick. Doesn't get much more permanent than fatal (and lung damage is the thing that's been killing most of the covid victims). Luckily lungs, hearts, kidneys, livers, are all transplant possibilities these days, but of course if 2 or 3 of your organs are shot you aren't much of a transplant candidate.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

​​​​​
I haven't made direct comparisons and I anticipate that, unless a vaccine is found soon, all jurisdictions will end up with similar numbers, once age of citizens, health of citizens, density of population, climate, etc, is all accounted for.

It appears to be deadly to a very low percentage of populations and, once it all shakes out the various lockdowns will be deemed to have been inappropriate by the vast majority of the world's citizens. I am not one that subscribes to the whole "Saving one life is worth any economic sacrifice" version. I appreciate that others may disagree.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 8:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
. Non-mask weares are obviously unconcerned and therefore IMO are at a much greater risk of catching/ carrying the disease.
If I lived in Miami I would be concerned and I would wear a mask, but my province has a population of 5m and there are 16 new cases. I may change my mind if the cases start sky rocketing, but until then, I can be careful without a mask.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 9:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. There's so much we don't know about this disease, and there's very little dissent amongst health professionals that it is serious. It just seems like the general public (and a few choice national leaders) want to belive differently.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wal Mart has the self check out cashier approaching everyone to ask about applying for the Wal Mart master card and buy they won't take no for an answer.

Most of the store visits are for online app deliveries otherwise I would avoid the stores but one has to earn income somehow and right now shopping for these apps is quickest way to some income.

Stores could do more but of course they don't want to hire enough staff to direct customers and as you say often the store workers are just as bad if not worse than customers.

But it's not spreading quickly as it was and I was surprised the various protests over the last month here didn't lead to a spike. We seem to be averaging around 10 new cases per day give or take and under 200 total active cases, few in hospital but time will tell.

The focus as far as I can tell for restrictions in BC wasn't so much to save lives but to just keep hospitals from ending up like NYC or Italy.

I also think having a consistent message in BC from one person and politicians largely stepping back and letting the health officials do their jobs played a role and some luck, our spring break is later vs back east and as soon as BC saw a spike the government took action. That early action likely kept the spread low.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, which is why I have only been there once since mid March. It was an utter shambles, and not only for the actions of the public - one employee approached me unannounced and stood by my shoulder - I was at a self scan kiosk and she had decided that I needed assistance.

Lowe's isn't much better and I try to only go there in the morning or the evening or late afternoon, after the pros have been and gone early in the morning, and before or after the peak retail traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.