Coronavirus

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

I live in SW Ontario which has acres of greenhouses growing fresh vegetables.
The industry itself employs about 8000 seasonal workers mostly from Mexico who are housed in what are basically bunkhouses.
They live in close proximity to each other and when they are at work, they are much too close for comfort.
These seasonal workers are the victims of more than 75% of the reported cases of the virus in the area.
The situation is so dire that the Health Unit (not before time) started on site testing at these places.
One greenhouse has just been tested and the results show 191 (yes 191) workers has tested positive.
You would need a convincing argument to lead me to think that masking and social distancing is not essential to control this pandemic.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:27 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
I live in SW Ontario which has acres of greenhouses growing fresh vegetables.
The industry itself employs about 8000 seasonal workers mostly from Mexico who are housed in what are basically bunkhouses.
They live in close proximity to each other and when they are at work, they are much too close for comfort.
These seasonal workers are the victims of more than 75% of the reported cases of the virus in the area.
The situation is so dire that the Health Unit (not before time) started on site testing at these places.
One greenhouse has just been tested and the results show 191 (yes 191) workers has tested positive.
You would need a convincing argument to lead me to think that masking and social distancing is not essential to control this pandemic.
These guys are all over the news this morning, and some of them are saying there are many undocumented workers that aren't getting tested because they're scared of being deported. One said that he and a friend who both tested positive were quarantined in a motel and nobody brought them any food or other supplies at all, and they weren't even contacted during that time. I hope things are better in the Okanagan.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting if you like statistics, ages of people, etc., COVID19 positive cases (confirmed) Ontario - https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/conf...6-7d8647f43350
Many of the under 20 and 20+ year olds appear to have CC - i.e. Close Contact - as the way they caught it... depending on where they live.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 2nd 2020 at 3:50 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
These guys are all over the news this morning, and some of them are saying there are many undocumented workers that aren't getting tested because they're scared of being deported. One said that he and a friend who both tested positive were quarantined in a motel and nobody brought them any food or other supplies at all, and they weren't even contacted during that time. I hope things are better in the Okanagan.
It's not as bad in BC but BC took some early precautions after a small outbreak at a plant nursery, the first 2 weeks after arriving in BC from Mexico, the workers are put into Vancouver area hotels, provided, food, healthcare, and other supports they may need, their employer is required to pay their wages during the 2 week period, but the province covers the other costs, so far since BC started this method, 2,800 workers have gone through with 23 testing positive in quarantine.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-19-outbreaks/

Housing on the farms after quarantine is still an issue due to most being small, crowded and not possible to socially distance.

" the B.C. government has organized and paid for quarantine services for migrant workers who arrive in B.C. to take seasonal farm jobs. The employers must pay wages during this time. So far, 2,800 people have been housed in Vancouver-area hotels, where they are provided meals, health care and other supports during their two week isolation. Of those, 23 have tested positive for COVID-19 while in quarantine."

My wife took a walk up commercial drive this morning, seems several businesses that existed in February no longer do, empty store front with for lease signs up. Guess they didn't have the funds to keep going through this.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 2nd 2020 at 6:58 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 3:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Mandatory quarantine extended until end of August.

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Breath of fresh air reading that. The Canadians really do have it right, clear concise direction and healthy fines for non compliance. So simple and effective. Lucky you, living there.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
An old favourite.

Let's face it though, if people weren't so convinced that others were wrong, social media including forums would collapse
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 4:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone here reading this going for a pint tomorrow morning?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...laxed-12020362
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 4:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

A bit early for me. Will rock up at 8 am for some brekky.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
Breath of fresh air reading that. The Canadians really do have it right, clear concise direction and healthy fines for non compliance. So simple and effective. Lucky you, living there.
Varies quite a bit across Canada, I'd be a little wary about parts of Ontario and Quebec due to high case numbers.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
I don't see any more of a risk taking a holiday to a country with lower COVID cases/rate of transmission then Canada. But if I were to go the government would have to pay a month of CERB since I wouldn't be able to work due to the mandatory quarantine. So there's that.

I don't like being at home for long periods though, so I won't be travelling until that requirement is lifted. It is a little upsetting though given that many places are opening to Canadians. The EU did say it expected countries to which it has opened borders to reciprocate for EU citizens.

I was hoping they would announce 'safe countries' to travel to. Maybe after 31 August.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gozit
I don't see any more of a risk taking a holiday to a country with lower COVID cases/rate of transmission then Canada. But if I were to go the government would have to pay a month of CERB since I wouldn't be able to work due to the mandatory quarantine. So there's that.

I don't like being at home for long periods though, so I won't be travelling until that requirement is lifted. It is a little upsetting though given that many places are opening to Canadians. The EU did say it expected countries to which it has opened borders to reciprocate for EU citizens.

I was hoping they would announce 'safe countries' to travel to. Maybe after 31 August.
Easier to manage and control a virus the less people are moving about the world.

My guess, Canada will keep the 14 day quarantine in place, but "open" the border to some countries, but the 14 days will be kept to discourage travel to Canada.

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Will be leaving it a few days at least - a semi local pub to me has been doing takeaway draft/draught beer which I've picked up twice on walks by 1 litre sealed container, ordered in advance, contactless card machine, gets left on a table for you to pick up - has been working quite well and scratches the itch for decent beer.

As for watching everyone get out of control, get way too close and a huge queue for the toilets - no thanks, i might venture in for a drink on a random wednesday when its an empty pub a week or 2 from now.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 6:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Easier to manage and control a virus the less people are moving about the world.

My guess, Canada will keep the 14 day quarantine in place, but "open" the border to some countries, but the 14 days will be kept to discourage travel to Canada.
"easier" doesn't go together with how much of an actual risk it poses though.

Absolutely I would have no problem self isolating if I was mad enough to travel to or transit parts of US, UK, Brazil, etc. But to travel to my tiny Malta with 39 cases, 9 deaths, no community transmission? I should not have to self isolate on my return if not experiencing symptoms.

Other countries are relaxing this rule and have the same level of COVID-19 as us, why aren't we doing the same? I think you are right Jsmth, it is just 'easier' for the government...which unfortunately isn't that great of an excuse. But there isn't much you can do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.