Coronavirus

Old Jun 29th 2020, 6:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Maybe I should have used the "illusion of free healthcare" or a "non privatised healthcare" (not that thats true either)

I wasn't suggesting that someone would be worse off in a none NHS society.
My only issue was with your assertion that the NHS is "free". It isn't.

I am fully aware that a free NHS has a cost to every person whether they use it or not, and much of that cost is absorbed as profit rather than used to deliver treatment. .....
I have no idea what you mean by that, and I suspect that you don't either - other than perhaps "profit is bad".
Old Jun 29th 2020, 6:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My only issue was with your assertion that the NHS is "free". It isn't.

I have no idea what you mean by that, and I suspect that you don't either - other than perhaps "profit is bad".
Ditto, no idea.

Old Jun 29th 2020, 6:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Apologies for resurrecting a relatively old comment. This came up in my feed today and, while talking about a completely different issue, the sentiment holds true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TVLEaqqdI
This guy has a Phd in tripe. Managed about a third today before his non-sequiturs baffled me.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Bored? You are YouTubing in overdrive today Bristol.
It's caretaker's fault. He posted a good one and there were a bunch of similar ones on the same page.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's caretaker's fault. He posted a good one and there were a bunch of similar ones on the same page.
Whoa, back up there, big shoots. I accept no responsibility for anything coming out of your isp address.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Maybe I should have used the "illusion of free healthcare" or a "non privatised healthcare "(not that thats true either).

‘Free at the point of service’ is a better term IMO.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Apologies in my head i know exactly what i mean, and half the time i type it out as it is in my head, I think i try and shorten messages excessively so as not to write war and peace. "excessively absorbed as profit by private companies" is what I originally typed although after shortening it and rereading it was like " yea i'm still making the same point" For my point on the "free" NHS I originally typed free to use, although Jerseygirl above almost definitely has the correct definition - even if I was partially trying to say it appears free.

My take on it is that as a public service, there shouldn't be excessive profit, whilst any of the private companies used to fulfil contracts on those services will make profit, they shouldn't be profiting off it to the extent they are.

Take painkillers for example, supermarkets in the UK can sell them for circa 2p a pill, the supermarket is making a profit selling them in colour printed boxes of 16. the end user buying them at 30p a pack has no bulk buying power etc.

The same companies that are supplying the supermarkets supply the NHS, in huge bulk, often in much higher pack quantities, can forgo colour printed boxes etc - but charge the NHS over 15p a pill.

So whereas for £1 I could in theory get 50 painkillers, bought from a retail shop, where the person purchasing the goods has no bulk buying power etc. but a government body buying millions if not billions per year can only get 6/7 for that £1, someone somewhere is profiting excessively.

Should mention those figures are pure item costs, by the time the NHS prescribe or dispense such pills the cost is more like 25p a pill.

Last edited by Stumpylegs; Jun 29th 2020 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 9:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

‘Free at the point of service’ is a better term IMO.

Most readers insert that for themselves, rather than believing in the tooth, and bones, and organs, fairy. Free at the point of service healthcare is cheaper across the population. It's not reasonable to complain that it's poor value for you, as Pulaski does, because you're not sick and so have low premiums under a commercial system. The person having the million dollar operation on the taxes of the well under a FATPOS system isn't really winning. The person not having an operation because there's only a commercial system isn't winning either.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't soak your face masks in lysol.

I only come up with these ideas because someone I know in real life keeps doing such things.

Not sure whats worse sticking lysol wipes into the nose or soaking masks in it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 29th 2020 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

John Tory, Mayor of Toronto is recommending a bye-law making the wearing of masks in indoor public places (shops, businesses etc) mandatory from July 7th.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 2:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

John Tory, Mayor of Toronto is recommending a bye-law making the wearing of masks in indoor public places (shops, businesses etc) mandatory from July 7th.
Masks are for Liberal's

Old Jun 30th 2020, 2:48 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

seeing signs like that actually makes me quite happy, of course all those [people must be "pro choice" in the abortion debate then....
Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:01 pm
Yo

Western governments have really messaged this mask thing wrong. The should draw a parallel with drink driving regulations, excess alcohol is prohibited not because the driver might smash his own car up, but because he might injure others. This concept of social responsibility (over a minor infringement on individual freedom) needs to be promoted somehow.

Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Western governments have really messaged this mask thing wrong. The should draw a parallel with drink driving regulations, excess alcohol is prohibited not because the driver might smash his own car up, but because he might injure others. This concept of social responsibility (over a minor infringement on individual freedom) needs to be promoted somehow.
I think the analogy with drunk driving is a little strong but take the general point. Plus I find in North America it isn’t nearly as much a social taboo/punished sufficiently as it is in UK.

It’s hard for the government to take the high ground with this after they refused to mandate vaccination for all children in the public school system.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Jun 30th 2020 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If it really was beneficial, they would make it mandatory. When they don't, it gives the impression that the benefits are not that great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.