Coronavirus

Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Gozit
Lol, would have loved to be able to be in England and go to the pub, that was the whole point of this conversation I can't go as I don't have enough leave between work and school to go on a vacation AND self-isolate when I return.

If the restrictions continue into 2021 it will be a question I have to ask myself do I want to travel and accept the self isolation or refrain from travel.

I work in an office where unfortunately had to listen to it all day until I got my own office. Now i have a bluetooth speaker to my iPhone.
Reading online about the weekend pub openings it sounds like it was a disaster but that may just be media hyde. People haven't been able to go to a pub for months so on day 1 a cabal of critters descended on pubs quaffing euro lager and generally behaving like 16 year olds who don't have experience drinking alcohol.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Here is a list of departures from Pearson today

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures

There is nothing stopping you from travelling to any of these places. When you arrive at your destination you would be subject to the current procedures and isolation if required. On return exactly the same. So go ahead travel what is stopping you?
The 14 day period of isolation upon return ... even if I cut the trip short to accommodate it I wouldn't have enough time without eating into my studies. And i've been told I will have some on campus obligations when it comes to school.

I am not really a home body so the thought of not being able to leave the house for 14 days doesn't sit too well, though I do know people who could do it no problem.

As I said in an earlier post if the restrictions keep getting extended it will be something I have to weigh the desire to travel vs the dislike of the self isolation period. As you say there are plenty of places you can go not having to self isolate upon arrival (actively encouraging tourism) but it is the restriction coming back that is the problem.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yes, it's shit when you can't do what you want to. I'd say that since the start of this pandemic most of us, including me, have had to give up things that are very precious and immensely important to us, moments that we'll never get back. I believe it's how we react, and act, in the face of these losses that defines us.

I had to give up seeing my family this year, as have many others. For all I know depending on how COVID goes in California, my visit last year in 2019 could be the last time I see one of my parents. If my mom catches it, I am not entirely confident she would survive due to health issues she has, my dad probably more likely to survive as he is in better health but still high risk age group, and chances are I wont be able to visit family until at least 2021 possibly 2022 depending on how things go, regardless of age group we have all more or less given up things in our life we can never get back.

Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yes, it's shit when you can't do what you want to. I'd say that since the start of this pandemic most of us, including me, have had to give up things that are very precious and immensely important to us, moments that we'll never get back. I believe it's how we react, and act, in the face of these losses that defines us.
Agreed.

I'm not exactly sure what the answer is. It does suck for everyone and for those of us who feel an intense anger and are less passive about the situation it is very hard to place the misplaced anger, especially when people respond with "Well people are dying so we need to focus on that." which only makes people more upset as their issues aren't being validated.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 7:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
.... I had to give up seeing my family this year, as have many others. For all I know depending on how COVID goes in California, my visit last year in 2019 could be the last time I see one of my parents. If my mom catches it, I am not entirely confident she would survive due to health issues she has, my dad probably more likely to survive as he is in better health but still high risk age group, and chances are I wont be able to visit family until at least 2021 possibly 2022 depending on how things go, regardless of age group we have all more or less given up things in our life we can never get back.
Exactly, ..... and me too. My father died 14 years ago, but mother is of an age where she could quite possibly die in the next 18 months even if she doesn't get cononavirus, especially as she has a heart condition necessitating a pacemaker. And in the event of her catching coronavirus and things heating up again in the UK (enough cases to put the hospital under stress for bed space), she is also in the age range where she would likely not be placed in an ICU if someone younger needed the bed.
.... I'm not exactly sure what the answer is. It does suck for everyone and for those of us who feel an intense anger and are less passive about the situation it is very hard to place the misplaced anger, especially when people respond with "Well people are dying so we need to focus on that." which only makes people more upset as their issues aren't being validated.
Maybe when you are 30 years older, you will come to see that your "issues" really aren't. They are, in the grand scheme of things, trivial annoyances, and were it not that we are all living in an unprecedented period of peace, when there is no risk of you being conscripted and sent to fight, and generally a low risk of you otherwise dying prematurely, I think you would already realise that.

So how about you look at it this way: 30+ years from now nobody will care about what happened at your prom or graduation (or whatever event you currently think is "important"), or whether you had one, or not, but they might ask you what you did during the 2020-21 coronavirus pandemic? I hope you can say more than "I had a tantrum because I wasn't allowed to go to the beach".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 6th 2020 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's already been a few months, with no end in sight...travel restrictions have been extended to 31 August and probably will be again. This summer is a write off for travel, clubs, anything fun that is typically enjoyed by people my age. our national holiday was basically naught.

It's more then "Just a few months." At best it will be an entire year before restrictions are fully lifted in Canada, i.e. pre-pandemic, no social distancing, no masks, no limits, no public health restrictions.

If we had a crystal ball that said on Sept 1st this would be over and we can go back to normal I wouldn't leave my house from now until then. But we don't, and with the way things keep getting extended and extended I don't have much faith that it will.

Asking someone to give up being a 21 year old, give up their college grad, prom, etc IS actually quite a lot, because my generation will NEVER get those moments back.
It's definitely hard for young people. Perhaps not those milestone events specifically, but life in general. It's hard to know how the pandemic will progress. I don't have any answers but, personally, I don't find your frustration mis-placed.

Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I bet your had to 'lick road w'tongue' every morning.
Luuuxury.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Luuuxury.
Probably one of my favourite skits along with this one:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2q1ojy
Old Jul 6th 2020, 10:17 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I’m pissed off and probably will regret writing this but Gozit, while you are bleating about your previous lost opportunities and inability to travel because of those pesky quarantine rules. Some of us are facing the real possibility that we will NEVER get to see close family members again because selfish idiots can’t bring themselves to stay indoors.
if everyone just stayed at fricken home for a few weeks this would be OVER. But all the special snowflakes who can’t possibly do that mean this will go on and on
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:48 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

The 14 day period of isolation upon return ... even if I cut the trip short to accommodate it I wouldn't have enough time without eating into my studies. And i've been told I will have some on campus obligations when it comes to school.

I am not really a home body so the thought of not being able to leave the house for 14 days doesn't sit too well, though I do know people who could do it no problem.

As I said in an earlier post if the restrictions keep getting extended it will be something I have to weigh the desire to travel vs the dislike of the self isolation period. As you say there are plenty of places you can go not having to self isolate upon arrival (actively encouraging tourism) but it is the restriction coming back that is the problem.
The reason it keeps getting extended is because there are so many exceptions and people ignoring the requirements and putting others at risk. The answer is to for everyone to lockdown for 2 weeks and stop with the me, me, me attitude
Old Jul 7th 2020, 3:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Ok I’m pissed off and probably will regret writing this but Gozit, while you are bleating about your previous lost opportunities and inability to travel because of those pesky quarantine rules. Some of us are facing the real possibility that we will NEVER get to see close family members again because selfish idiots can’t bring themselves to stay indoors.
if everyone just stayed at fricken home for a few weeks this would be OVER. But all the special snowflakes who can’t possibly do that mean this will go on and on
Old Jul 7th 2020, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
The reason it keeps getting extended is because there are so many exceptions and people ignoring the requirements and putting others at risk. The answer is to for everyone to lockdown for 2 weeks and stop with the me, me, me attitude
Oh yeah because that worked so well the first time didn't it? Just stay home for 2 weeks they said, it will be all over before you know it! Poppycock unless you are inferring all 37 million Canadians stay home for as long as it takes, no ifs or buts, no excuses, no food shopping, medical trips, no essential work trips, nadda! And then when we are done and have erradicated it completely from CANADA lets open up everything and let out friends south of the border in.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:24 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see where things go regarding Canada and international travel over the next few months. Right now we have this strange situation whereby Covid in Canada has passed its peak and looks more like the current state of affairs in Europe but America seems to be getting worse. As a result, Canada has extended its travel ban for visitors until 21/07 and quarantine regulations until the end of August.

The question is, would Trudeau's government have the guts to act more like Europe and begin relaxing travel restrictions for certain countries but not the US or will the current acts be perpetually renewed until America gets its shit together and the US/Canadian borders can finally return to normal?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It will be interesting to see where things go regarding Canada and international travel over the next few months. Right now we have this strange situation whereby Covid in Canada has passed its peak and looks more like the current state of affairs in Europe but America seems to be getting worse. As a result, Canada has extended its travel ban for visitors until 21/07 and quarantine regulations until the end of August.

The question is, would Trudeau's government have the guts to act more like Europe and begin relaxing travel restrictions for certain countries but not the US or will the current acts be perpetually renewed until America gets its shit together and the US/Canadian borders can finally return to normal?

IMO Trudeau would show guts by continuing the lockdown, not lifting it. Canada hasn’t been hit by the virus as badly as many other countries per % of population. IMO the borders should be kept closed for the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:42 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO Trudeau would show guts by continuing the lockdown, not lifting it. Canada hasn’t been hit by the virus as badly as many other countries per % of population. IMO the borders should be kept closed for the foreseeable future.
You can do that by all means and that certainly seems to be the route that Australia and New Zealand are taking but I think you then need to be very well prepared for the number of jobs and livelihoods that will be destroyed as a direct result.

Additionally, unless you want to be the next North Korea, it generally isn't feasible to wall yourself off from the outside world forever. The 'nobody ever goes in, nobody ever goes out' policy might have worked for Willy Wonka but it's rarely the way forward in a modern and globalist economy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.