Coronavirus

Old Apr 3rd 2020, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dave_j
This pandemic, as time from the Spanish Flu pandemic, very simplistically demonstrates is a one in a century event. But this really is a probability and there's nothing to prevent a new viral pandemic ocurring next year, or even now.
This virus attacks lung function and has highlighted the need for mechanisms that assist lungs to absorb oxygen, in this case the much vaunted ventilator.
There's no way to know what useful piece of technology will be needed the next time nature decides to take on the human species.
What is evident is that the virus needs to spread from individual to individual in order to generate a 'pandemic'.
It's not clear to me why low tech items like face masks and gowns haven't been stockpiled in sufficient quantity to provide protection to medical staff during a period that would be defined by a long term pandemic.
These items aren't particularly exciting, but they have been shown to be absolutely necessary in excessive quantity.
If I still lived in the UK I might wonder why disgusting amounts of money have been wasted on a pair of useless aircraft carriers, nuclear powered submarines etc etc, when there's a real need for simple things like a few buildings full of beds that can be used in an emergency. This failing isn't confined to the UK alone. Like the current pandemic, it infects political decision making worldwide.
"Ahhh.." I hear you say, "Nobody saw this coming, so there's nobody at fault."
But this isn't true. We have armies of people who game play the next world war in order to anticipate the needs therefrom and this is driven by the profit motive under the false guise of protecting the population. Where were those game playing experts examining the next global health threat?
I suspect that there existed a small army of Joe Bloggs's shouting from the rooftops of their sheds in the UN that they'd seen evidence of the pandemic starting but such news doesn't win elections or fatten wallets and was ignored.
but if there were warehouses full of stockpiles of this stuff, and no pandemic would there be questions/investigations/condemnation of the waste of NHS resources on unnecessary equipment when people are dying on waiting lists, etc?

After all if the national emergency was of a diffferent nature we might be decrying the running down of our armed forces.

Although there was someone on R4 yesterday who had been involved in a large government’war game’ about a pandemic. He was surprised how little action had been taken as a result of that.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 7:30 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
but if there were warehouses full of stockpiles of this stuff, and no pandemic would there be questions/investigations/condemnation of the waste of NHS resources on unnecessary equipment when people are dying on waiting lists, etc?
After all if the national emergency was of a diffferent nature we might be decrying the running down of our armed forces.
Although there was someone on R4 yesterday who had been involved in a large government’war game’ about a pandemic. He was surprised how little action had been taken as a result of that.
Such expenditure shouldn't affect the NHS spending. It would be a strategic preparation for a health emergency.
Unlike the military fighter jet or latest missile, a gown is a gown, there's no need to invest in the newest gown available.
These ideas aren't new. When I was young I remember there being an Isolation Hospital nearby, a realisation that some diseases carried social risks and the local authority was prepared for it. However the advent of immunisation etc meant that such amenities closed.
I wouldn't worry about funding for the military, there's too much cash involved to 'run'down' their slush fund.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 7:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This pandemic, as time from the Spanish Flu pandemic, very simplistically demonstrates is a one in a century event. But this really is a probability and there's nothing to prevent a new viral pandemic ocurring next year, or even now.
This virus attacks lung function and has highlighted the need for mechanisms that assist lungs to absorb oxygen, in this case the much vaunted ventilator.
There's no way to know what useful piece of technology will be needed the next time nature decides to take on the human species.
What is evident is that the virus needs to spread from individual to individual in order to generate a 'pandemic'.
It's not clear to me why low tech items like face masks and gowns haven't been stockpiled in sufficient quantity to provide protection to medical staff during a period that would be defined by a long term pandemic.
These items aren't particularly exciting, but they have been shown to be absolutely necessary in excessive quantity.
If I still lived in the UK I might wonder why disgusting amounts of money have been wasted on a pair of useless aircraft carriers, nuclear powered submarines etc etc, when there's a real need for simple things like a few buildings full of beds that can be used in an emergency. This failing isn't confined to the UK alone. Like the current pandemic, it infects political decision making worldwide.
"Ahhh.." I hear you say, "Nobody saw this coming, so there's nobody at fault."
But this isn't true. We have armies of people who game play the next world war in order to anticipate the needs therefrom and this is driven by the profit motive under the false guise of protecting the population. Where were those game playing experts examining the next global health threat?
I suspect that there existed a small army of Joe Bloggs's shouting from the rooftops of their sheds in the UN that they'd seen evidence of the pandemic starting but such news doesn't win elections or fatten wallets and was ignored.
Misinformation like this video killed lots of people. People still don't believe it's real.

Old Apr 3rd 2020, 9:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...If I still lived in the UK I might wonder why disgusting amounts of money have been wasted on a pair of useless aircraft carriers, nuclear powered submarines etc etc, when there's a real need for simple things like a few buildings full of beds that can be used in an emergency.....
As indeed would most people But then they'd go and vote for the party that wouldn't prioritise things that way because they'd be misled about the party that would.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 9:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The US is now projecting total deaths at 100-200,000 (heard 240,000 too) although that does imply a 'end date'. I can't say I've seen a similar such projection for the UK. I've heard "we're hoping to keep deaths below 20,000" but no real range. Anyone know the Canada equaivalent?
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 9:57 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As indeed would most people But then they'd go and vote for the party that wouldn't prioritise things that way because they'd be misled about the party that would.
Investing for possible emergencies should be apolitical.
I'm no better than any other. Like most, if not all, voters I haven't been shouting about impending pandemics, but then I've not offered myself for a position of governmental responsibility.
We hear time and again from political leaders that the first responsibility of government is to protect the nation and this argument is used to spend vast amounts on the bright shiny things. History will note that no political party paid it any attention because it didn't enter the national consciousness, but that's no excuse.
And, yes, I'm speaking from hindsight. Perhaps this'll learn 'em though.

Last edited by dave_j; Apr 3rd 2020 at 9:59 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The US is now projecting total deaths at 100-200,000 (heard 240,000 too) although that does imply a 'end date'. I can't say I've seen a similar such projection for the UK. I've heard "we're hoping to keep deaths below 20,000" but no real range. Anyone know the Canada equaivalent?
Ontario says their projected models show 3,000 to 15,000 people dying, and that is just one province. Not sure if Canada has a projected model for the country as a whole.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ions-1.5519575

"Provincial health experts say they expect COVID-19 could kill 3,000 to 15,000 people in Ontario over the course of the coronavirus pandemic, the ramifications of which could last up to two years."
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

BC Ferries is laying off 1,400 people and cutting service, they have seen massive drop in demand.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-bay-1.5521120

They are also cutting a pretty major route.

"A statement Friday said BC Ferries is seeing an 80 per cent drop in passengers due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To save money, the corporation said it is suspending service on the Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay route linking West Vancouver and Nanaimo for 60 days."

City of Vancouver is going to provide meals and cleaning services to 21 SRO's in an effort to prevent an outbreak within the DTES.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...dtes-1.5521008
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

53 new cases, 4 more deaths, for a total of 35 deaths now, number of patients in hospitals has dropped.

4,399 acute care beds available for COVID-19 patients
largely because they cancelled 11,276 non-urgent elective surgeries between March 17 and April 2.

498 active cases.

641 recovered cases.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...alls-1.5509133

Vancouver convention center should be ready for patients if needed soon, the province may not need to even use it, but better to have it set up and ready rather than wait until its needed, very proactive on the part of the government.

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-...-by-wednesday/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 4th 2020 at 12:28 am.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 1:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Investing for possible emergencies should be apolitical..
But it's not. As we have seen.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 1:30 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
53 new cases, 4 more deaths, for a total of 35 deaths now, number of patients in hospitals has dropped.

4,399 acute care beds available for COVID-19 patients
largely because they cancelled 11,276 non-urgent elective surgeries between March 17 and April 2.

498 active cases.

641 recovered cases.

We are so lucky here, those numbers are good. Fingers crossed we can stay at under 100 new cases per day.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 3:25 am
Account Closed

This guy is an idiot. BC Solicitor General even called him an idiot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6777373/b...site-hospital/

My question is if he thinks this is a hoax/doesn't exist, why does he wear a mask in parts of his video?
Old Apr 4th 2020, 3:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This guy is an idiot. BC Solicitor General even called him an idiot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6777373/b...site-hospital/

My question is if he thinks this is a hoax/doesn't exist, why does he wear a mask in parts of his video?
I cannot watch the vid. Are we sure its not his underpants ?
Old Apr 4th 2020, 6:44 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario says their projected models show 3,000 to 15,000 people dying, and that is just one province. Not sure if Canada has a projected model for the country as a whole.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ions-1.5519575

"Provincial health experts say they expect COVID-19 could kill 3,000 to 15,000 people in Ontario over the course of the coronavirus pandemic, the ramifications of which could last up to two years."
There seems to be a lot of reduplicated effort at dealing with something like Covid at the provincial rather than national level. That's quite a broad range Ontario has come up with.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 7:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BEVS
I cannot watch the vid. Are we sure its not his underpants ?
Nah, it was really a mask...ha ha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.