Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Wikiposts

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Originally Posted by mono
50-50 as in the amount of good and bad in each country equates to basically the same. Neither is actually better or worse, only different.
Good...so another chapter in the forces between good and evil draws to a close....

And I ain't sayin which ones are the evil guys. Ends in people chucking their teddies out of their prams and going for an Oscar.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:44 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Naturally. BE summed up in a nutshell. So really, the people that can allow themselves a small smile are the ones happy with their lot. This is an end state and philosophy, if simple, I feel forced to conclude most of the time. Anything else is a distraction and results in the usual arguments which take over most of these threads. Why do we keep discussing them - it's the very stuff of said philosophy.

Who is on a slightly stickier wicket - people arguing their right to be happy, or people arguing their right to be morose? It baffles me - still....let me tell you what I think - I'd rather be happy..and I'd rather that everyone was too.

(Did I just imply you weren't? Dear me..!.)

(Mate)

Looking at it from an unbiased perspective, it does seem that some people either arrive here somewhat unwillingly, eg on the coat tails of a partner or family. It seems that this brings out a degree of animosity towards Australia that maybe they would not have had.

I sometime wonder if they are as negative about Australia in discussions with their partners – and if they are, how the partners handle the negativity. Maybe the discussions don’t happen, maybe they do and the partner shrugs it off.

Either way, its not pleasant to see fellow countrymen in distress.

Another alternative is people who move here, and then find themselves financially trapped for one reason or another. I would have thought that if they had managed the major migration one way, going back, where a support network of family and friends exist, must be easier.

I do harbour a feeling that some people are trapped purely by pride. No one wants to return and tell family and friends “I couldn’t make a go if it”.

If pride keeps people here, then they have no right to be bitter.

This isn’t attacking anyone, just a personal observation.

But what does annoy me, is the waste of good visas by people who arrive here without really thinking about it, and they spend time rubbishing Australia and wanting to go home.

For every Englishman living here unhappily, I can find you 1000 good people in Asia who want to make a new life here. These are people who live in conditions far harder then in either the UK or Australia. They are denied the chance, as others take the opportunity and then turn bitter about it.

Just my thoughts.

Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:54 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone bases their life around ''where will I be richest?'' or ''where will I get a bigger house?''

Lots of people return to the UK because they simply much prefer it to Australia.
Indeed, and good luck to them.

But why do we have people living in Australia - for extended periods of time, returning to the UK for holidays etc, and still complaining bitterly about how unhappy they are here?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
(Mate)

Looking at it from an unbiased perspective, it does seem that some people either arrive here somewhat unwillingly, eg on the coat tails of a partner or family. It seems that this brings out a degree of animosity towards Australia that maybe they would not have had.

I sometime wonder if they are as negative about Australia in discussions with their partners – and if they are, how the partners handle the negativity. Maybe the discussions don’t happen, maybe they do and the partner shrugs it off.

Either way, its not pleasant to see fellow countrymen in distress.

Another alternative is people who move here, and then find themselves financially trapped for one reason or another. I would have thought that if they had managed the major migration one way, going back, where a support network of family and friends exist, must be easier.

I do harbour a feeling that some people are trapped purely by pride. No one wants to return and tell family and friends “I couldn’t make a go if it”.

If pride keeps people here, then they have no right to be bitter.

This isn’t attacking anyone, just a personal observation.

But what does annoy me, is the waste of good visas by people who arrive here without really thinking about it, and they spend time rubbishing Australia and wanting to go home.

For every Englishman living here unhappily, I can find you 1000 good people in Asia who want to make a new life here. These are people who live in conditions far harder then in either the UK or Australia. They are denied the chance, as others take the opportunity and then turn bitter about it.

Just my thoughts.

I'd agree with all that. The first situation would be painful. Moving away from the deeply personal, what I find interesting are the people who say that x is only achievable in y. Is it? So what about Case A, B and C? Who's wrong? (Who gets to judge?) The winners write the history - or the whistle-blowers?

I'd like to meet most of the truly negative people. I reckon a lot of information would come out in the wash within minutes, depending on the candour of the person. Infact, also I believe that some of the issues would turn out to be ridiculously circumstantial, (but not trivial by any means) and very, very personal too : eg. abuse, (G put us on to that one), divorce, relationship breakdown, reliance on booze, smokes, loss of reputation, problems at work, unfortunate decisions, disability, family breakdown, children not settling at school, educational problems, skill mismatches, social adjustment ....nothing to do with the fact that Australia gets hot at all..or what can be bought in the supermarket...or how many buildings there are over 150 years old. Occasionally (rarely) posters open up and it can make for sobering reading. You're an ex serving member of the Armed Forces - you would have seen it all and dealt with, and counselled accordingly.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But why do we have people living in Australia - for extended periods of time, returning to the UK for holidays etc, and still complaining bitterly about how unhappy they are here?
I honestly believe that people really could uproot if they really wanted it.

Might take time, and a bit of planning of course, just like the move out in the first place.

After all, if jobs and money is good - it could be viable.

There might be a bizarre situation where although friends and family is missed, and aspects of UK life craved for, that the finances are quite good here, (after 10 years say) and that there is a comfort zone of sorts. it might be the comfort zone that is the issue. If no comfort zone, what to lose? In the final analysis, of course.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:10 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it's time for a group hug again (())
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Giv' us a kiss...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Giv' us a kiss...
I'm off.................

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Is anything ever superior in quality to anything in Australia??!!

Surely not!!
Yes, minimum chips!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I see spaces before commas....

All this chat about defensiveness. At the end of the day there are people who do well in Australia - never forget that - regardless of whether it allows them to escape their council home or whether it works for them. I think it is more restrictive, quite sad, that people don't believe this is possible. I wonder who are the victims sometimes, the people nursing their sores.

But if people are better off in the UK - go get it..
I have
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
I spent my honeymoon in the Scottish highlands. The food was shit and the people were ******s.
It might have been out of your price range or quite possibily the people were less than impressed with you-Redneck!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creepycrawley
The right skills? So if you are a sparky earning big bucks then it's all good?

I earn fairly well and have two degrees, mate.

Can't afford anything more here than I could in the UK.
Why do you need 2 degrees? The fact that you chose the wrong one to start with and then progressed to do a second one, which again got you no further might point some people to the conclusion....

Keel
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are happiest when they are moaning. I am sure that when they lived in the UK they were moaning about things.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:48 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
I spent my honeymoon in the Scottish highlands. The food was shit and the people were ******s.
Perhaps they were just reflecting back your attitude?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:54 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Giv' us a kiss...
Slap bottoms maybe! But kissing's for girls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.