Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Wikiposts

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:54 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Originally Posted by mono
So your conclusion is essentially that those who profess to not like Australia are basically inventing their displeasure for sport?

Of course - because it's simply not possible that anyone could genuinely dislike somewhere so magically fantastic.
No Mono mate, go back and reread my post.

we could all accept someone not liking the Army. Not everyone does. the points are fairly valid:

Crap pay, postings that suck, Wally officers, junk kit, and some of the other members of the defence force do leave something to be desired.

What no one could understand is why they stayed in. They guys actually signed on for more of the same. Like the Courage beer drinker of my youth.

If Australia is so unpleasant (and I accept that it is for many) then why are they still here.

It’s a fair question mate, and no one seems to give an answer, other than vague “its not so easy to go home”.

Trust me mate, it is. It’s a damn sight easier to go home than it was to get here.

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:57 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I suspect it's Badger
Bloody typical of a Legionaire...

If its not on your throat its on an ass.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason why you are completely unable/unwilling to clarify what your post meant and thus which view you agreed with? Why are you preferring to have an argument? Struggling to work that out.
Wot? Actually, I'm not in the mood for an argument. Make what you will of my response to your earlier statement.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:01 am
Not allowed opinions.

Back to the topic, before the mods notice the argy bargy:

Who thinks Germany will bail out Greece?

Who thinks if Greece defaults (can it?) will it bring about another Lehman Bros global economic crisis?

Who thinks the Euro will fall apart after this debacle?

Who thinks the USA will pressure Germany to rescue Greece, because its shaky economy wont stand another collapse?

Will Britain get dragged into paying for the bailout (non Euro but EC member)?

Will Britain suffer from the situation?

Your starter for 10.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:04 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
No Mono mate, go back and reread my post.

we could all accept someone not liking the Army. Not everyone does. the points are fairly valid:

Crap pay, postings that suck, Wally officers, junk kit, and some of the other members of the defence force do leave something to be desired.

What no one could understand is why they stayed in. They guys actually signed on for more of the same. Like the Courage beer drinker of my youth.

If Australia is so unpleasant (and I accept that it is for many) then why are they still here.

It’s a fair question mate, and no one seems to give an answer, other than vague “its not so easy to go home”.

Trust me mate, it is. It’s a damn sight easier to go home than it was to get here.

What if people have work/business commitments in Australia they cannot drop lightly? What if one's partner is from Australia? What if one has grown up children you wish to stay for one reason or another? What if one's health is not up to it?

There are infinite reasons why one cannot go back EASILY.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:06 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Wot? Actually, I'm not in the mood for an argument. Make what you will of my response to your earlier statement.
Sorry mate, your post ''Some people just choose to live their lives like that'' didn't really make it clear what you were actually saying by virtue of the fact that the post you appeared to be replying to presented a number of scenarios. I was simply, and perfectly politely, asking ''some people just choose to live their lives like what?''

You seemed reluctant to provide clarification and instead chose to be obtuse for no apparent reason.

That's how it appeared. Sorry.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:15 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the topic, before the mods notice the argy bargy:
Who thinks Germany will bail out Greece?

I do. Whether they should or not is moot. Someone will have to rescue Greece keeping it local will be better than bringing in the IMF

Who thinks if Greece defaults (can it?) will it bring about another Lehman Bros global economic crisis?

Yes it can default. It'll bring pain but not a global economic crisis. As previously said Greece's economy is smaller than a lot of German states. I suspect Greece's economy is smaller than Lehman Bros' was (but I haven't done research to back that up).

Who thinks the Euro will fall apart after this debacle?

I don't. Greece is a small cog in the wheel. It would be like the US dollar falling apart because Arkansas got into too much debt.

Who thinks the USA will pressure Germany to rescue Greece, because its shaky economy wont stand another collapse?

I think Germany has the balls to tell the US to fug off.

Will Britain get dragged into paying for the bailout (non Euro but EC member)?

Maybe. I can't see how the UK could stump up the money or the guarantees at the mo.

Will Britain suffer from the situation?

Maybe. Probably but could temporarily strengthen the £ as a safe haven.

Your starter for 10.

Not for sale. I need it to start the car.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:16 am
Not allowed opinions.

What if people have work/business commitments in Australia they cannot drop lightly? What if one's partner is from Australia? What if one has grown up children you wish to stay for one reason or another? What if one's health is not up to it?

There are infinite reasons why one cannot go back EASILY.
Mate,

If the left the jails doors unlocked everybody would be out in a flash. Wouldn’t matter if it was dinner time, raining outside, or they didn’t have clean undies and a packed bag. The beggars would be running out the gates like Olympic sprinters.

Any that stayed behind and used the dinner time, rain, undies or packed bag excuse really must prefer jail, even if they don’t admit it.

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:18 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Not for sale. I need it to start the car.
so when i saw you hunched over in the garage jiggling something in your hand, it wasnt a crank handle?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:19 am
Banned

Mate,

If the left the jails doors unlocked everybody would be out in a flash. Wouldn’t matter if it was dinner time, raining outside, or they didn’t have clean undies and a packed bag. The beggars would be running out the gates like Olympic sprinters.

Any that stayed behind and used the dinner time, rain, undies or packed bag excuse really must prefer jail, even if they don’t admit it.

Totally ridiculous analogy.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:24 am
Not allowed opinions.

I do. Whether they should or not is moot. Someone will have to rescue Greece keeping it local will be better than bringing in the IMF

Good point, I have been wondering about the IMF. They normally impose strict conditions on any bailout – they were pretty brutal on the UK when we had to do it in 76.

I am not sure how the IMF could do that to Greece alone, as the conditions are normally on currency, which would be the Euro, and would affect everyone else.

Interestingly the following just came in:

“At the request of the EU Commission and at the invitation of the Greek authorities, a fund staff member is in Athens this week to provide assistance to an EU Commission team," an IMF official said in a statement.”
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:25 am
Not allowed opinions.

Intended as a light hearted joke momo.

Relax mate, put you feet up, take a beer out of the fridge and tell my about how sh1ty my home is.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mate, your post ''Some people just choose to live their lives like that'' didn't really make it clear what you were actually saying by virtue of the fact that the post you appeared to be replying to presented a number of scenarios. I was simply, and perfectly politely, asking ''some people just choose to live their lives like what?''

You seemed reluctant to provide clarification and instead chose to be obtuse for no apparent reason.

That's how it appeared. Sorry.
Okay, a misunderstanding. What I meant was people just choose to live their lives like that: A lifestyle choice, always complaining, never happy - no matter where or what their circumstances are. In a nutshell: whingers.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:31 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

chill out momo, you are getting yourself worked up over nothing.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:35 am
Not allowed opinions.

Meanwhile, yesterday the European Commission said Monday that there was no plan to provide financial aid worth over 20 billion euros (27.3 billion U.S. dollars) to Greece.

"There is no such plan because Greece has not requested a single euro in financial aid," commission spokesman Amadeu Altafaj told a daily press conference in Brussels on Monday

Comments anyone?

Is 20 billion euros enough?

note that it is from the EU, NOT from the Eurozone, meaning Britain is part of that 20 Billion.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.