Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Originally Posted by mono
Is anything ever superior in quality to anything in Australia??!!

Surely not!!
Of course it is, to many people it could be near 50-50.

There are very few people who are 100% one sided, if any.

Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
Australia is no longer a place for people from UK council estates to realise their dreams.Some of the defensive remarks indicate a sense of cognitive dissonance..
Every city in every country has rough areas.
I spent the weekend in the Scottish Highlands. I saw castles ,dolphins ,red kites under bright blue skies and ate delicious food.
The services I received were of a far superior quality than I ever experienced in Oz
I see spaces before commas....

All this chat about defensiveness. At the end of the day there are people who do well in Australia - never forget that - regardless of whether it allows them to escape their council home or whether it works for them. I think it is more restrictive, quite sad, that people don't believe this is possible. I wonder who are the victims sometimes, the people nursing their sores.

But if people are better off in the UK - go get it..
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:55 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Of course it is, to many people it could be near 50-50.

There are very few people who are 100% one sided, if any.
Well, 50-50 is the reality.

Those who think it's like 95% Australia, 5% UK (and admit it - there are people who think that on BE) are the ones that are really annoying.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:56 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I see spaces before commas....

All this chat about defensiveness. At the end of the day there are people who do well in Australia - never forget that - regardless of whether it allows them to escape their council home or whether it works for them. I think it is more restrictive, quite sad, that people don't believe this is possible. I wonder who are the victims sometimes, the people nursing their sores.

But if people are better off in the UK - go get it..
Not everyone bases their life around ''where will I be richest?'' or ''where will I get a bigger house?''

Lots of people return to the UK because they simply much prefer it to Australia.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
I spent the weekend in the Scottish Highlands. I saw castles ,dolphins ,red kites under bright blue skies and ate delicious food.
The services I received were of a far superior quality than I ever experienced in Oz
I spent my honeymoon in the Scottish highlands. The food was shit and the people were ******s.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by renth
I spent my honeymoon in the Scottish highlands. The food was shit and the people were ******s.
Which means that Kevin747 is wrong??

By your logic, my belief that Australia is crap cancels out your belief that it's great.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm shocked . When ML decends to name calling it means that things are really getting heated
It's okay. I was just returning serve. Do unto others as they do unto you - As they say.

At least the infernal tango seems to be having a rest

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 21st 2010 at 10:53 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone bases their life around ''where will I be richest?'' or ''where will I get a bigger house?''

Lots of people return to the UK because they simply much prefer it to Australia.
Who said anything about money or houses(!) I said better off - as in the better place for them to be. Of course, you and I know that for some disadvantaged people, the step up that Australia gives them, or used to give them, and still may, is all they've ever wanted. I've always said I don't knock some migrants even if I don't share their aspirations or dreams. If they want to knock Gordon Brown etc then that's their lookout if they end up in Boganville. New money or whatever - good for them.

You'll never hear me yacking about how big my house is (it's not) or how much money I earn - I did once ask a question about tax though and a few 'battlers' took issue. (I've often said that I am not as unfortunate as some and am fairly financially stable due to a low mortgage and that Australia actually bought us years.)

I agree with you. And most people would if they had any sense. That different places do well for different people -even with similar interests - now that's what I find interesting(!)
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Those who think it's like 95% Australia, 5% UK (and admit it - there are people who think that on BE) are the ones that are really annoying.
There are also those who are totally opposite: 5% Australia, 95% UK, aren't there...

But the ones who are really wrong are the ones who just like to blame everyone for something.

Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Most people actually base it around where they are happier.

The problem is when some people can't accept that another person can be happy, in a country that they aren't happy in...

Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which means that Kevin747 is wrong??
By your logic, my belief that Australia is crap cancels out your belief that it's great.
Naturally. BE summed up in a nutshell. So really, the people that can allow themselves a small smile are the ones happy with their lot. This is an end state and philosophy, if simple, I feel forced to conclude most of the time. Anything else is a distraction and results in the usual arguments which take over most of these threads. Why do we keep discussing them - it's the very stuff of said philosophy.

Who is on a slightly stickier wicket - people arguing their right to be happy, or people arguing their right to be morose? It baffles me - still....let me tell you what I think - I'd rather be happy..and I'd rather that everyone was too.

(Did I just imply you weren't? Dear me..!.)
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is when some people can't accept that another person can be happy, in a country that they aren't happy in...
I think you've just described half of BE!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely be tempted by the most free time combined with available disposable income. I'm certain Aus fits that bill for me at present.... mostly because I've a steady job and am well established. Not happy with my spare time though.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Most people actually base it around where they are happier.

This is the real issue and always has been - based on my argument that ultimately people aim for optimism not sadness in their lives - unless they are plain weird of course. I can well accept that someone may not be happy in a country - but I don't know how they got to that stage. As long as I don't know, (and I can never know) it's academic.They might say that we don't believe they can be unhappy - but I always say we have solved aspects they haven't so can think clearer on the issue - but I do believe them.

The funny thing is, most sane people on this forum will quite happily accept that for some people the UK is the answer. There has been a definite move away from the complete rose-tinted brigade we saw 6 years ago. I am not sure that recent complainants know this.... The FX rate, the cost of living for some, the anti-God squad movement of the last few years - actually subsiding now the Chief Lieutenants have pulled out - has beaten it out of the regular posters. The times when people slate the UK tend to be when there is discussion of very specific UK traits which probably *are* a bit crap - (and into the bargain, two for the price of one - BOGOF even - duplicate the Australian situation). Or someone getting on a soapbox.

Hang on - genuine question - why is it annoying though - because it goes against every intellectual sensitivity or facet of reasoning you may have? I'd say that the people who debate these arguments whichever way they come at the debate - are incredibly similar.

As for 50-50 - never seen it quantified, really?! 50-50 would be cool - but how can you put a figure on it? I mean there are people who seem to think it is 5pc Australia, 95pc UK: I mean people DO say things like - people who like Australia MUST be wrong, or deluded - or that everyone (moreorless) who ever moved to Australia is fooling themselves - people do say that - and that can't be right, no sane person would say that.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
This is the real issue and always has been - based on my argument that ultimately people aim for optimism not sadness in their lives - unless they are plain weird of course. I can well accept that someone may not be happy in a country - but I don't know how they got to that stage. As long as I don't know, (and I can never know) it's academic.They might say that we don't believe they can be unhappy - but I always say we have solved aspects they haven't so can think clearer on the issue - but I do believe them.

The funny thing is, most sane people on this forum will quite happily accept that for some people the UK is the answer. There has been a definite move away from the complete rose-tinted brigade we saw 6 years ago. I am not sure that recent complainants know this.... The FX rate, the cost of living for some, the anti-God squad movement of the last few years - actually subsiding now the Chief Lieutenants have pulled out - has beaten it out of the regular posters. The times when people slate the UK tend to be when there is discussion of very specific UK traits which probably *are* a bit crap - (and into the bargain, two for the price of one - BOGOF even - duplicate the Australian situation). Or someone getting on a soapbox.

Hang on - genuine question - why is it annoying though - because it goes against every intellectual sensitivity or facet of reasoning you may have? I'd say that the people who debate these arguments whichever way they come at the debate - are incredibly similar.

As for 50-50 - never seen it quantified, really?! 50-50 would be cool - but how can you put a figure on it? I mean there are people who seem to think it is 5pc Australia, 95pc UK: I mean people DO say things like - people who like Australia MUST be wrong, or deluded - or that everyone (moreorless) who ever moved to Australia is fooling themselves - people do say that - and that can't be right, no sane person would say that.
50-50 as in the amount of good and bad in each country equates to basically the same. Neither is actually better or worse, only different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.