Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Wikiposts

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:25 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Originally Posted by Wol
>>I am a soldier, even now as an Inactive reservist, although I haven’t been a Private for a long time. I take it you don’t have any military experience. Or perhaps you were in the Cadets.<<

Perhaps it's me, but the aggressive tone of your posts in different threads suggests you would have been better staying under arms <g>.

I try so hard not to be aggressive.

It tends to come out when people tell me how I should feel about a country.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:31 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

So, the economies of the world are faltering, Greece is about to collapse into a mire of unemployment, the GBP is gradually becoming worthless.

In other news - Sue is looking good in her avatar pic...

Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:37 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
So, the economies of the world are faltering, Greece is about to collapse into a mire of unemployment, the GBP is gradually becoming worthless.

In other news - Sue is looking good in her avatar pic...

On the Greece front, there are some interesting points made in these blogs…. Well worth a read:

• In Greece, the strikers have included customs officers and tax collectors: workers who not only enjoy special tax free allowances and early retirement on big pensions, but also include in their ranks some of the most notoriously corrupt officials in Greece, known for their willingness to take bribes in order to allow the wealthy to avoid paying their taxes (a big reason why Greece is broke).

• The public sector workers were striking, among other things, against plans to increase their retirement age from 61 to 63 (when many European countries are talking about raising it from 65 to 67).

http://worldfocus.org/blog/2010/02/2...mic-woes/9850/
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and how very condescending of you. So middle class.
Exactly the opposite . I'm from a council scheme in the west of Scotland.The suggestion from otool was that King Edward cigars and Johnnie Walker leant an air of sophistication.
They are relatively poor quality products marketed to entice people like him who feel that they by consuming those products they have achieved success.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Ok Kev, you earn more in the UK than you did here.

And that proves what exactly? I earn more in Jakarta than I earn here. Its called 35% hardship post allowance. Is that why you earn more in the UK?

(That’s a joke by the way – the UK isn’t a hardship posting, but JKT is and I charge a 35% margin for being there, even though I love the place).

I am a soldier, even now as an Inactive reservist, although I haven’t been a Private for a long time. I take it you don’t have any military experience. Or perhaps you were in the Cadets.

Soldiers don’t fight for loyalty. They fight for their mates, and sadly in many cases to stay alive. As I was told during officer training, an Officers job is to get soldiers into harms way, and an NCOs role to get them back out alive. This is how wars are fought.
Thanks for the milatary history lesson. I've never been in any of the armed forces-nor would I ever want to be. I like to be my own man to much.
Sadly the forces are just fodder for politicians.
I don't find hunting a particularly atttractive pastime either.
The supposed meritocracy that Australia offers serves I believe to bring people to the centre rather than encourage the best and brightest. That is why I prefer the British class system with all its faults to the false equality that Australia boasts.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:57 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by kevin747
Exactly the opposite . I'm from a council scheme in the west of Scotland.The suggestion from otool was that King Edward cigars and Johnnie Walker leant an air of sophistication.
They are relatively poor quality products marketed to entice people like him who feel that they by consuming those products they have achieved success.
You are making a few assumptions there Kev, but feel free.

I bought the BL and the cigars on my last trip, duty free. I don’t smoke cigarettes, and cant handle a lot of beer. A couple and I have had enough. But I have a addiction to cigars, and smooth whiskeys.

But hey, don’t let me spoil your illusion of me. Perhaps you think I should stick to meths and roll your owns, preferable made out of dogends from the gutter.

On the other hand, if you think black label is a poor quality whisky and King Edwards are poor cigars, what the hell do you drink and smoke.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

On the Greece front, there are some interesting points made in these blogs…. Well worth a read:

• In Greece, the strikers have included customs officers and tax collectors: workers who not only enjoy special tax free allowances and early retirement on big pensions, but also include in their ranks some of the most notoriously corrupt officials in Greece, known for their willingness to take bribes in order to allow the wealthy to avoid paying their taxes (a big reason why Greece is broke).

• The public sector workers were striking, among other things, against plans to increase their retirement age from 61 to 63 (when many European countries are talking about raising it from 65 to 67).

http://worldfocus.org/blog/2010/02/2...mic-woes/9850/
They sound like fine upstanding members of the European Union who are participating in the way it is expected of them. I am sure the likes of Kinnock and his mates in Brussels will do their utmost to help them out.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:07 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Thanks for the milatary history lesson. I've never been in any of the armed forces-nor would I ever want to be. I like to be my own man to much.
Sadly the forces are just fodder for politicians.
I don't find hunting a particularly atttractive pastime either.
The supposed meritocracy that Australia offers serves I believe to bring people to the centre rather than encourage the best and brightest. That is why I prefer the British class system with all its faults to the false equality that Australia boasts.
I wouldn’t join the Army Kev, you might not like it.

I agree about cannon fodder for politicians. Personally I wouldn’t let anyone go into politics unless they had been on the defence force. In fact I wouldn’t allow people to vote either. If you don’t have the guts to put you neck on the line for the country, you shouldn’t be controlling it. But that just me.

I don’t find many people who support the English class system. Ever heard of the Bullingdon Club?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club

My father describes them as a bunch of upper class twits.

You might want ot google some of its members , or look here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ullingdon-club

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4985718.ece

but hey, if you support them its cool by me.

Go for it mate. Apply to join.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:10 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by NedKelly
They sound like fine upstanding members of the European Union who are participating in the way it is expected of them. I am sure the likes of Kinnock and his mates in Brussels will do their utmost to help them out.
Bit rough on the Krauts, who are having to stay working until 67, and bail out the Greeks, who retire at 61.

I am glad my taxes don’t go to support this rubbish.

Is Kinnock the old Welsh Windbag still alive? What about Arthur Scargil....?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Bit rough on the Krauts, who are having to stay working until 67, and bail out the Greeks, who retire at 61.

I am glad my taxes don’t go to support this rubbish.

Is Kinnock the old Welsh Windbag still alive? What about Arthur Scargil....?
Kinnock is still alive, still sucking of the taxpayers together with him and his Mrs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...avy-train.html

Don't know about Arthur Scargill, probably retired on a juicy index linked final salary pension somewhere warm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are making a few assumptions there Kev, but feel free.

I bought the BL and the cigars on my last trip, duty free. I don’t smoke cigarettes, and cant handle a lot of beer. A couple and I have had enough. But I have a addiction to cigars, and smooth whiskeys.

But hey, don’t let me spoil your illusion of me. Perhaps you think I should stick to meths and roll your owns, preferable made out of dogends from the gutter.

On the other hand, if you think black label is a poor quality whisky and King Edwards are poor cigars, what the hell do you drink and smoke.
Check your own posts before accusing me of making assumptions about you.Forget the chip on shoulder stuff too.
I smoke occasionally and wait for it; I like the occasional roll up.
I do prefer Islay malts and for cigars-Romeo y Julieta or Punch.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Kinnock is still alive, still sucking of the taxpayers together with him and his Mrs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...avy-train.html

Don't know about Arthur Scargill, probably retired on a juicy index linked final salary pension somewhere warm.
you appear to be one of those ex pats who believes the Daily Mail. Why don't you try the Express .The international version is great for those kidding themselves on in the colonies
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:34 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Check your own posts before accusing me of making assumptions about you.Forget the chip on shoulder stuff too.
I smoke occasionally and wait for it; I like the occasional roll up.
I do prefer Islay malts and for cigars-Romeo y Julieta or Punch.
Interesting you mention both Malts and Romeo and Juliets.

I find single malts a bit too peaty, hence my drinking of blended whiskeys. I guess it just taste, and I do drink the odd one, but I always taste it. Maybe its just a preconception in my mind.

I was given some R&Js once, and they made me really sick. I felt like a 12 year old, throwing up over a cigar.

I have avoided them ever since. But I did enjoy them.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

you appear to be one of those ex pats who believes the Daily Mail. Why don't you try the Express .The international version is great for those kidding themselves on in the colonies
Are you suggesting that the DM doesn't print the truth?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interesting you mention both Malts and Romeo and Juliets.

I find single malts a bit too peaty, hence my drinking of blended whiskeys. I guess it just taste, and I do drink the odd one, but I always taste it. Maybe its just a preconception in my mind.

I was given some R&Js once, and they made me really sick. I felt like a 12 year old, throwing up over a cigar.

I have avoided them ever since. But I did enjoy them.
No problem.I like Grouse or VAT 69 as a blend.No hard feelings. I must go as I meet my son on a Friday for lunch.
No it's not a gentleman's club-but the Shish Mahal curry shop in Glasgow
Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.