Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Depends how you assess 'doomed'. The UK is continuing its gentle slide from global powerhouse to mid-rank European nation. It's been happening for decades but the current economic problems it faces are major and look to have the potential to be fairly long term.... much as it pains me to say so.
You are being very negative. Things will be much more positive when Gordon Brown gets elected for another term.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:05 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creepycrawley

The point is that some of those who think that the UK is currently ''doomed'' think that positivity is ''stupid'' (that was your word, wasn't it?).
Mate, I don’t want to harp on about this (and I don’t want the mods threatening to ban me) but my opinion is this:

The OP clearly said: “Positive attitude makes money”

If you want to prove to me that they didn’t, then please go ahead.

You might want to throw in your interpretation of Backagens comment , but its just your interpretation. No more and no less.

I didn’t respond to your interpretation, and to be honest I don’t give a flying fig about your interpretation of what someone else clearly wrote. You may recall that you have already doubted my reading/comprehension skills – do I really need your interpretation of what other posters quite clearly write?

So: Backagen wrote: “Positive attitude makes money”, and that is what I am responding to.

In my opinion this is incorrect. I would say “Positive action makes money”.

Having a positive attitude about losing 10Kg wont make it happen, but running 15k each morning with a 35Kg pack sure will.

Do you agree?

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Feb 20th 2010 at 5:19 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:30 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

And for the record, some of that positive action for the UK might include:

1. Downsizing the defence force to that of a local “self defence only” capacity – probably 50,000 personnel total. Possible merger with France or Germany.

2. Dramatic cut back government spending, especially in the welfare areas.

3. Increase the retiring age to 68

4. Increase income tax by at least a further 10%

5. Stop all migration, except where the applicant will clearly make a strong financial contribution to the country (strong being at least 3x that of a comparable current citizen)

6. Charge annual tax on overseas British Passport holders (they may not ever have been to the UK, and pay no tax, yet use the services of the citizenship).

7. Reduce corporate tax and provide incentives to overseas companies to open in the UK.

8. Remove all minimum wage restrictions, and make industrial action over pay illegal

9. Cut back on the EU contribution (Did Blair undue the agreement made by Thatcher?)

10. Enforce compulsory tertiary education – or no benefits.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
And for the record, some of that positive action for the UK might include:

1. Downsizing the defence force to that of a local “self defence only” capacity – probably 50,000 personnel total. Possible merger with France or Germany. Hate to see it, but its a possible.

2. Dramatic cut back government spending, especially in the welfare areas. Catch 22 at the moment. Increased unemployment pushes up Gov spending

3. Increase the retiring age to 68. Almost certainly going to happen

4. Increase income tax by at least a further 10%. Not a hope if you mean increase the basic tax rate by 10%.

5. Stop all migration, except where the applicant will clearly make a strong financial contribution to the country (strong being at least 3x that of a comparable current citizen). I would agree with that one... and it would be a vote winner as well.

6. Charge annual tax on overseas British Passport holders (they may not ever have been to the UK, and pay no tax, yet use the services of the citizenship). Not sure how it would be enforced, but yeah, go for it.

7. Reduce corporate tax and provide incentives to overseas companies to open in the UK. Agreed... but again difficult at the moment with the need to service that gigantic debt.

8. Remove all minimum wage restrictions, and make industrial action over pay illegal. Nope. Don't agree with that. Too many lousy bosses around for that to fly. Probably against 'Human Rights' act as well.

9. Cut back on the EU contribution (Did Blair undue the agreement made by Thatcher?). No idea what the current contributions are so can't comment with any degree of relevance.

10. Enforce compulsory tertiary education – or no benefits. Absolutely. 100%
My views in red mate.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:09 pm
Not allowed opinions.

My views in red mate.
Wooops yes, the income tax bit is misleading. I meant increase the income tax revenue by 10% - not stick a further 10% on tax, which would just persuade people to stop working at all.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Wooops yes, the income tax bit is misleading. I meant increase the income tax revenue by 10% - not stick a further 10% on tax, which would just persuade people to stop working at all.
Right, that's fair enough then.... and something they should already be planning... though nobody will own up to it. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:33 pm
Not allowed opinions.

My views in red mate.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rs-rights.html

Sad, sad, sad........

Think positive.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:40 pm
Not allowed opinions.

UK's contribution to EU budget to double by 2013 – study
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2007...fx3801653.html
“The study, based on recent estimates, says the UK will make net annual contributions of almost 6.5 bln stg in the years 2011 to 2013, double the average figure from 1997-2006, reflecting a smaller rebate and weaker receipts”

Place in EU 'to cost UK 60% more'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8219344.stm
“The UK's net contribution to the European Union will rise by almost 60% next year, the Treasury has said. The cost of membership will rise to £6.4bn - equivalent to about £260 per UK household - from £4.1bn in 2009/10.”

Think positive......
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rs-rights.html

Sad, sad, sad........

Think positive.
I should be shocked... the real sad thing is that I'm not.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

“The study, based on recent estimates, says the UK will make net annual contributions of almost 6.5 bln stg in the years 2011 to 2013, double the average figure from 1997-2006, reflecting a smaller rebate and weaker receipts”

“The UK's net contribution to the European Union will rise by almost 60% next year, the Treasury has said. The cost of membership will rise to £6.4bn - equivalent to about £260 per UK household - from £4.1bn in 2009/10.”

Think positive......
... worth every penny !!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:50 pm
Not allowed opinions.

I should be shocked... the real sad thing is that I'm not.
Which is exactly my point. Nice positive thoughts don’t fix this sort of crap.

Positive action does.

No one seems to care in the UK anymore. Even my parents seem to have given up.

Haranguing people on this site for being doom and gloom merchants doesn’t fix things, methinks some people would do better lobbying for action in the UK than popping up all over an expat site picking arguments.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Which is exactly my point. Nice positive thoughts don’t fix this sort of crap.

Positive action does.

No one seems to care in the UK anymore. Even my parents seem to have given up.

Haranguing people on this site for being doom and gloom merchants doesn’t fix things, methinks some people would do better lobbying for action in the UK than popping up all over an expat site picking arguments.
Agreed.

I can see some merit in the 'positive thought' angle. At the start of this latest downturn I postponed having a new kitchen installed. I decided to keep my hands in my pocket because I was unsure of the coming storm.... if everybody had kept those positive thoughts going that we had before the GFC, I would have still have had that kitchen installed twelve months ago. My little decision, the result of 'negative thoughts', is just the sort of action that deepens the downturns.... but I would agree that you can't just think your way out of a deep shithole, you need to start climbing.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

My views in red mate.
"3. Increase the retiring age to 68. Almost certainly going to happen"

What do you mean "almost certainly"? The plan is already being executed.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

6. Charge annual tax on overseas British Passport holders (they may not ever have been to the UK, and pay no tax, yet use the services of the citizenship).
What services are they? I don't think I'm entitled to any services any more (above and beyond what any tourist could get) despite the humongous amount I paid in tax when I was there.

Just in case you're referring to the state pension. Remember that is something that is specifically paid for, so is not a gift of the state.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

Think positive......
I don't know if it is still true but the UK used to pay less than Germany and France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.