Reload this Page >

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: aaa

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
An ex army blanket hand painted to look like a cross between a tea towel and something Marylyn Munroe would wear, does NOT constitute the national dress of those wonderful people north of the border.
Doesn't cost 500 quid for an ex army blanket!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Interesting – a few years ago the big worry was Japan owned everything. The book (and to some extent the movie) Rising Sun gave some bitter examples of how Japan was buying up the USA at bargain basement prices.

Now its the Chinese.

A few years ago I was at Army Staff college. During one lecture I intimated that the USA had won the Vietnam war. Everyone laughed, and the Directing Staff asked me how I worked that out. I pointed out that just as War is an extension of diplomacy by another means, so to is commerce an extension of war by another means too. The Americans lost the land battle but won the financial war. Vietnam held out its hand for US aid, and US investment in good old USD.

I also said that maybe modern warriors carried laptops and had MBAs.

We just spent 20 years giving MBAs to Chinese in our business schools. When I did mine over half the class came from mainland china. Now they are coming back…..
Sorry I edited my above post. What do you think of that theory?

JTL
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:21 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
They might sell off their trillions of dollars of US Bonds that they've saved up.

Edit: What if they sold off their trillions of US bonds, so that they could improve their own populace financially and infrastructure and productivity?

The US would go bankrupt and revert back to the backwater it was, just growing corn.

China would explode selling tons of consumer products to chinese with labels on them saying 'Made in China'.

I for one welcome our new overlords. (simpsons joke)

JTL
I used to have this very simplistic theory that a country is either:
  • Poor but full of rich people
  • Rich but full of poor people.

Marxism stuffed the theory, by managing to produce poor countries full of even poorer citizens, but to some extent the theory still holds true.

China right now is a rich country full of poor people. In theory if the people become affluent they will demand a lifestyle that will reduce the wealth of the country. Overseas holidays, taking wealth back out of the country, cars, with overseas oil taking away money. That sort of thing.

The problem is China is a new phenomenon. In the past there has been trade between nations. Americans bought German cars, Germans bought Japanese stereos, and Japanese bought American jeans. A trade merry go round.

China isn’t like that. Because it is the first true global economy nation, It makes just about everything.

German car? The bloody thing is made in China.
Japanese stereo? Chinese made.
Levi jeans? Yep – made in China.

So the newly affluent Chinese aren’t going to reinvest in the wealth of the deposed nations. They are going to buy local goods.

This isn’t something economists thought of when all this open tariff trade started.

What will happen is – we will hit the skids, and they will have a bloody good lifestyle. When the manufacturing price goes up THEY will increase pro rata and the good will remain in sync with their earnings. But to us the price will skyrocket. Of course we will then start to rebuild our manufacturing base, but it will have to be cheaper than China, so they will be the big rich nation.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:27 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aaa

Originally Posted by kporte
Doesn't cost 500 quid for an ex army blanket!
You paid $500 for one?

Twice I could have had one for nothing, and didn’t take up the offer.

Grandfather was in the Black Watch. As a kid I remember his kilt hanging behind a door in the junk room of his house. One day he asked me if I wanted it. I said no. Apparently he threw it out that day.

Years later I was in a regiment that had pipes and drums. As 2IC of the support company (to which the band was a part) I had the right to wear a kilt, and the QMS told me to go and get one out of the pile in the stores. I never bothered.

I regret both, but naturally regret my Grandfathers the most.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:52 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Right, that's fair enough then.... and something they should already be planning... though nobody will own up to it. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
The 10% tax increase comment was based upon this:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8521587.stm

Tax receipts dropped 11.8% compared with January last year, when the government was able to repay £5.3bn.

Hence my comment about needing to lift taxation by 10%.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
What's the story behind the bitterness? I take it you returned to the UK?
No bitterness. I had a house to return to in a lovely part of Scotland. I got to do a fair comparison. I found Australia very inferior to the UK at its best.
I do miss a couple of things, but found it second rate.
It's only my opinion-I find too many to be deluded.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:51 am
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kevin747
No bitterness. I had a house to return to in a lovely part of Scotland. I got to do a fair comparison. I found Australia very inferior to the UK at its best.
I do miss a couple of things, but found it second rate.
It's only my opinion-I find too many to be deluded.
I think Australia is often quite scruffy looking & run down (people from 'modern' Perth always contest this - clearly have never been anywhere else) - certainly unless you are in a Westfield complex in Victoria you are likely to be in a very old and tatty shop. It's very clear that an awful lot of buildings have had literally NO money spent on them since 1956.

The medicare system is not that great and prescriptions are expensive here - as someone with a chronic condition I know. A lot of great treatments aren't even available here because the low population and government bureacracy means that drugs companies simply don't bother with a lot of stuff here. I have that from a healthcare professional, by the way.

The beaches where I am are okay but nothing spectacular - and that's meant to be one of Australia's big bonuses.

Melbourne and it's suburbs are nothing amazing - just another urban area. Fail to see why living here is better than living in Bath or York.

Each to their unfathomable own, I guess.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by creepycrawley
Each to their unfathomable own, I guess.
Absolutely....

Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne and it's suburbs are nothing amazing - just another urban area. Fail to see why living here is better than living in Bath or York.
A more valid comparison would surely be something like Birmingham or Glasgow?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:43 am
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of

Didn't want to go too far as the Aussie lovers can't cope when you even hint that you might think that Australia is slightly overrated, let alone when you come out and say ''it's no better than Birmingham''.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:47 am
Account Closed

Didn't want to go too far as the Aussie lovers can't cope when you even hint that you might think that Australia is slightly overrated, let alone when you come out and say ''it's no better than Birmingham''.

For God sake don't say that... there would be a mad rush to the oxygen cylinders to cope with a mass attack of hyperventilation
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:49 am
Not allowed opinions.

I think Melbourne and Birmingham is a pretty fair comparison city for city.

Until you look at the financial state of the country each city resides in.

Until the tide goes out you don’t know who is wearing underwear.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:55 am
Banned

I love the way that the UK bashers just move from one thing to another depending on what seems to befit the moment.

It might be the EU one month, then we can move on to immigration being the big evil when we get bored of the EU thing, afterwards we can progress onto the economy when that's the issue of the moment and then recycle them forever more, one at a time. It's great!

I wonder which one of the old chestnuts it will be next for slapphead a tool, doomandgloom and friends? High population, perhaps? Or will they just go for the perennial favourite the weather?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Arrrrghhhh.. my eyes !!

I've just had a vision of hundreds of naked, pasty, Brummies down at
Weston-super-Mare.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:05 am
Not allowed opinions.

I think Australia is often quite scruffy looking & run down (people from 'modern' Perth always contest this - clearly have never been anywhere else) - certainly unless you are in a Westfield complex in Victoria you are likely to be in a very old and tatty shop. It's very clear that an awful lot of buildings have had literally NO money spent on them since 1956.

The medicare system is not that great and prescriptions are expensive here - .
Mate, fair is fair.

you think Melbourne is run down and the shops have had no money spent on them. That’s called wise spending. It’s the opposite to the UK, where they are living on the lamb, And borrowing to do so.

Someone is going to have to pay that debt. When they do, that shiny shop doesnt look quite so good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.