Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:02 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by fraser
Good for you. But not for the prices they were quoting.
I assume you're in WA then Bridie? I've only ever seen a wood frame house build way down south. Ours is double brick too, can't say much for the plastering though, it's shocking! I would doubt very much you could build a house here for £50,000 either. The lowest we've seen for years here had a basic starting price of over $200,000.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Ours worked out in the end just under $172K (still in shock that it was actually under budget...!)

Most of them in this neck of the woods are double brick, only seen one wood framed house go up so far on our estate... seems different states do differnet things as most other people I've spoken to in other states have wood framed too....
$172! My goodness. When was that?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just outside Bunbury

I agree, dont really see how you could build a house for $50K around here.... particularly since a lot of the developments have restrictions on them that a house has to be at least so many sq mt area and have double garage/carport, that type of thing.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
$172! My goodness. When was that?
We signed the contracts back in October 2005 and building just finished before this Christmas (had a huge delay with getting the title for our land which, at the time we signed up with the builder, hadnt even been developed yet! Building itself only took about 6 months)

used Content Living, plus we have to pay more down here than Perth becuase it's classed as "country"!!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:13 am
'In limboland'

Yes, just outside Bunbury

I agree, dont really see how you could build a house for $50K around here.... particularly since a lot of the developments have restrictions on them that a house has to be at least so many sq mt area and have double garage/carport, that type of thing.
Ahh, 2005. That accounts for it,because we look in the weekend papers 'New Homes' section every week, just to keep up with prices of land and building, and I know I haven't seen anything for that price up here in ages. Crikey, you can't even get a block of land for under $400,000 in this suburb now!

Have you finished your new home, or do you still have the floors etc to do.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Feb 2nd 2007 at 4:15 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

We had to do our own flooring and painting, builder's just tooo expensive for this
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:17 am
'In limboland'

We had to do our own flooring and painting, builder's just tooo expensive for this
Most people do all that once they've moved in or when they get the keys. But some also forget that to actually 'finish' a home adds on approx. $50,000 or more.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Ours hasnt been as much as that, but we got a bargain with our tiles
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:05 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Under your avatar it says LOCATION......not state of mind. Location doesnt mean how you are feeling at the time, get over yourself.

In regards to this prog, which is, after all, what this thread is about, I have downloaded the Perth ones, and found them to be quite odd. One family was put in a rental house south of Rockingham, yet the job the guy had was well on the way to Yanchep, how does that make any sense. It seemed to be all the usual guff, with precious little content or helpful information for potential migrants. Typical UK TV to be honest. At the start of the Perth show the presenter does the intro yet Melbourne is quite obviously behind her in the background.

Excuse me? Do you know me? I will put what I like thank you. Have you read other members locations? Do they all give a location? No!

As regards to this thread, I was not the one who went off topic.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Feb 2nd 2007 at 5:51 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:55 am
Just Joined

musicangel1712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
a regular capper uploads the whole week in one go on a saturday.
Thanks for that where about it is uploaded to?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:56 am
Just Joined

a regular capper uploads the whole week in one go on a saturday.
Can you pm me there full username so i can send them a pm?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by musicangel1712
Thanks for that where about it is uploaded to?
you need to be a member of uknova to do it. www.uknova.com
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

paul18 is an unknown quantity at this point

[

Hi Have been watching the program and it is great and it has got my family and I talking about moving to oz.Where do we start and what are the costs of getting out there?
I am a joiner and my wife is a bookkeeper so I think we should find work o.k.

Thanks Paul
QUOTE=HOPPITY;4243953]Hi I Am New To Thi Site So Wanted To Say Hello To You All
Good To See Some Of You Already Know About This Programme, Are Any Of You On It? We Are The Jones Family Who Went Out With The Bbc In August To Film Our Bit In Brisbane/gold Coast, We Are Just Waiting Confirmation From The Bbc To Find Out When It Will Start (january Sometime Towards The End So I Was Told) Will Keep You All Informedwhen Know. Hope You All Enjoy It......

Sarah
Bedfordshire[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

you need to be a member of uknova to do it. www.uknova.com

Many thanks for the info!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Paul. I'm still kinda new to the site, but been wanting to move to Aus for just over 3 years. The best way to start is to look at what visa's are available, and which one suits you. If you're looking for a permanent move then you will probably want a skiilled workers visa.

There's a lot of sites with info about the visa's and some will give you a free test to see if you get enough points. You currently need 120 points. I think some states do sponsorship which i think gives you an extra 10 points, but I don't know how you go about that.

Here's the aussie immigration website;
http://www.immi.gov.uk

Here's a good site where you can search for your job and it will give you some useful info;
http://www.acacia-au.com/occupation-search.php

and here's a good visa assessment website (although may be a bit outdated gives you a good idea of how many points you're likely to get)
http://www.how2immigrate.net/austral...sment-form.htm

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.