Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:39 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

I get the impression with more than a few episodes that people involved really have no clue about emigrating but just fancied a jaunt Down Under to have a look about. Surely they should be featuring people who are giving it serious thought, not folk put off by the colour of the tiles in the kitchen or the first whiff of a crying relative?? It seems very much liked a wasted opportunity for people who could really have benefitted from a reccie rather than people who don’t even know from the get go if they have ANY chance of affording to live there, surely that’s the the first thing you would consider before thinking any further about emigrating? Suppose if the Beeb are paying for it then it’s a free trip, nothing to lose!

Agh!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:53 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Have to agree (sorry if the couple are on here), but that wasn't just editing, they both knew from the outset that he wouldn't earn the sort of money he was earning here as a Senior Manager in his family business.

Because of this he didn't really seem to give it a chance, it was very frustrating watching this programme. I really felt sorry for the woman, she so wanted to do make the move.
I felt for her too esp when she said she'd stay with him whatever but...then burst into tears. Although still young he didn't seem to have much vision or sense of adventure & seemed quite set in his ways. Sounds like he's going to have to buy her a nice big house here as part of his penance!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JoolsB
I felt for her too esp when she said she'd stay with him whatever but...then burst into tears. Although still young he didn't seem to have much vision or sense of adventure & seemed quite set in his ways. Sounds like he's going to have to buy her a nice big house here as part of his penance!

yeh, i did feel sorry for her today, i know how she feels, i have never felt like i belong here - its hard to explain but i know what she meant.

at least all of us going through the process are agreed with our OH's - must be awful wanting to go and your OH not wanting to
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Location: At the moment Lichfield, Staffs. Hopefully Adelaide June/July 08
Aussiebound is an unknown quantity at this point

On todays episode (15/01/08) i knew within the first 5 minutes of the program that he would choose the UK, don't really see the point in sending families that aren't really that serious about going but just want to have a look. It's like getting a free holiday with a film crew, such a wasted oppertunity, as so many other families could have benefitted ie, families that have made their mind up about going but can't afford a reccie
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

seashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really niceseashelle33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by joshort
HI Paris,

I just googled it Wanted down under, went on the BBC website and there was a link looking for applicants, there was a web address and phone number, although I ncever heard anything back, I wote and left a message. you may have better luck!

cheers

Jo

if you still cant find it ill give to you over here, if thats OK.. (im newish to all this.. not sure what you can and cant post ect)
Would it be possible for you to post the link where you registered interest? or PM it to me if you rather. I'd love to do it.

Cheers
Michelle
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Aussiebound
On todays episode (15/01/08) i knew within the first 5 minutes of the program that he would choose the UK, don't really see the point in sending families that aren't really that serious about going but just want to have a look. It's like getting a free holiday with a film crew, such a wasted oppertunity, as so many other families could have benefitted ie, families that have made their mind up about going but can't afford a reccie
Totally agree with you.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:14 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I just couldn't understand that he would stay in the UK against his wife and his daughters wishes. I mean surely if you do it for the kids! I guess majority doesn't rule in his family.

And the other thing is he would have a fall back plan - ie give it a good go for a couple of years and if it doesn't work out, move back to the UK and go back working for the family - easy peasy I would've thought. Most families don't have the option of that.

It was only the second time I have watched this - but not sure of the show's fomrnat really as I don't think it gives anyone much of an idea really. Do the people have a choice in where they go? And crikey are the houses in Perth expensive! Suppose it is a good excuse for a cheap show - some flights and a few free estates agents viewing and then chop it all together...

Having said that I plan to keep watching.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

grays is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Totally agree with you.
It was a bit bizarre watching the show today. The house they were provided with in Mindarie was the very same house we rented for our trip last year and we thought it was fantastic. Ok, it was a bit souless, but it was only a rental after all. He just wasn't interested from the start. A real shame for her. It always makes me laugh when they comment "Oh, it's very open plan" Have any of these people even looked at Aussie houses on the net ? What are they expecting ?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I just couldn't understand that he would stay in the UK against his wife and his daughters wishes. I mean surely if you do it for the kids! I guess majority doesn't rule in his family.

And the other thing is he would have a fall back plan - ie give it a good go for a couple of years and if it doesn't work out, move back to the UK and go back working for the family - easy peasy I would've thought. Most families don't have the option of that.

It was only the second time I have watched this - but not sure of the show's fomrnat really as I don't think it gives anyone much of an idea really. Do the people have a choice in where they go? And crikey are the houses in Perth expensive! Suppose it is a good excuse for a cheap show - some flights and a few free estates agents viewing and then chop it all together...

Having said that I plan to keep watching.
I actually had sympathy with him. He was consistent about the job, realistic about his opportunities and had put 13 years into the business. Sure he might seem unadventurous by most people on this site, but emigrating is not for everyone. It was just sad they had such different views on life.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deano66
I actually had sympathy with him. He was consistent about the job, realistic about his opportunities and had put 13 years into the business. Sure he might seem unadventurous by most people on this site, but emigrating is not for everyone. It was just sad they had such different views on life.
I actually had sympathy with her, and believe she genuinely thought that if she got him out there, he might change his mind. Sadly I think you are right and he was consistent, but he couldn't see past his little family job...which clearly would still be there if he tried Oz and returned after a couple of years. I think if you are going to emigrate or at least entertain the idea, it isn't all about the money, the lifestyle isn't always about the money!

She was desperate to move there and he, to say the least, is reluctant! I know how that feels, i didn't grow up in UK and have been desperate to move to OZ or NZ for years, OH is very English and until recently wouldn't even entertain the idea....now however he is very keen and we are actively looking into it.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

He was set for life and could offer long term security for his family? Family business waiting for him to take over and a job he loves???? Why would he want to risk that?
She didn't like living in UK (or "that country" in her words).
I can see why he didn't want to go! Can't say he was set in his ways more like he took a sensible review and hadn't made his mind up prior to leaving. Aus is a nice dream for lots of people but at the end of the day it's a risk.

Liked the quotes on Perth becoming a ghost town due to droughts, think that'll stop the housing boom
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I believe their baby daughter chewed the card on most of the decision bits, hardly a decisive decision either way in my opinion lol.
I think you'll find it was daughter
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FIZZYMOON
I wish they would do an episode for single people....
I dont mean 'backpackers' or young 'whippersnappers' but older people (like me! ) who want to do this desperately but are worried about starting alone in a new country.
I think that probably the main reason they focus on couples/families is that they like the tension that emigration will inevitably bring to relationships. Many of these programs seem to focus on the happy partner/homesick partner angle and the bust ups that this brings.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:49 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
He was set for life and could offer long term security for his family? Family business waiting for him to take over and a job he loves???? Why would he want to risk that?
She didn't like living in UK (or "that country" in her words).
I can see why he didn't want to go! Can't say he was set in his ways more like he took a sensible review and hadn't made his mind up prior to leaving. Aus is a nice dream for lots of people but at the end of the day it's a risk.

Liked the quotes on Perth becoming a ghost town due to droughts, think that'll stop the housing boom
Sure I see his point about job security etc but he is only young and as another poster said surely his father would have let him back in the business if things really didn't work out in Aus?

Perhaps he should have said no to the whole Wanted Down Under trip in the first place. Taking part must have got his wife's hopes up and made her want to go even more when he had no intention of leaving UK from the start
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

What I can't understand is how he would get enough points to go as a skilled migrant...he did not have a trade or profession that is in demand....the only visa he could go fior would be an employe sponsored visa, which is a 4 year temporary visa.....has any one got any thoughts on this....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.