Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 12th 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Brilliant episode, I loved Cairns when I visited, its so laid back and tropical.
I hope you two settle and you evenually find the job you want Ruth.
Good luck

Ju & Mike
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:13 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Can't believe so many people watched it! And am so grateful for all your kind comments. We were really surprised to get on as we were a couple and they seem to concentrate on families probably because families have more dilemmas to deal with than young couples. It will be hard to leave our friends and families but its hard for everyone and we're really lucky that we have so much support from our friends and families there's no way they'd stop us going.

My Dad is recovering from his surgery and can travel which is great, he's just about to go to Asia for a month on a tour the lucky thing! So he'll be out to stay pestering us in no time, they're even planning it already" And when the foxcubs come along they'll be no stopping them!

It is annoying that they play the same bits over and over again, probably because we only said a couple of negative things!!! We're very postive people and always look for the postive but are also realistic and lucky that we had a the chance to really check out Cairns before the permanent move.

Thanks again for your support and feel free to ask any questions you like, I know they didn't cover everything on the programme!

Best of luck with your moves

xxxx
hi, im in the uk at the moment on holiday i watched the show when you and your hubby were on it cairns looked lovely we are in perth been in oz 2.5 years

just want to say goodluck with it all!!!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:18 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
"there's nothing wrong with our lives in the UK"

That line is really starting to annoy me. . . .

why even think of moving then?

Maybe it was just for the free holiday???
Do you have to have something wrong with your life in the UK to consider emigrating then? I know we aren't trying to escape anything bad - we lived in York, kids were in good schools, lived in a good area, OH had a good job - but when he was offered a job out here in Brisbane we jumped at the chance, didn't want to spend the rest of our lives wondering 'what if'

But yeah, having watched the programme before we left (OMG 3 days in Oz now), we wondered if a lot of them didn't just want a free holiday. They'd have had to offer me a lot longer than a blooming week though

Lynne
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

simonp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Thank you for your kind comments. We were worried about how we'd come across because after all they show 45 minutes but take over 200 hours of footage and sooo much was left out/edited out!

We were very lucky to be given the opportunity to go and revisit Cairns and answer all the questions we had regardng the move, believe me when I say we have researched this pretty damn well, my note taking is legendary! We now have our visas and once the house is sold we'll be moving to Cairns, much to the disappointed of my boss who keep trying to bribe me to stay, yes I do work too! They showed all the lovely negative aspects of work in Cairns for marine bios, what they didn't show was that last time I was in Cairns I worked as a marine bio on one of the boats, I got the job within 24 hours of being in Cairns and I got paid more than Adam so that is what I'm planning on doing again. It is great knowing that Adam already has a job lined up for when we arrive and it takes the financial pressure off.

We so fell in love with the first house largely because it was so much more beautiful that we thought we'd ever afford so to be told we could was great, we actually saw another mortgage advisor when we were out there, they didn't show that either, you said my work on the boats without a contract was fine, phew! They pretty much don't do small houses out there so why not stetch yourselves and get the best that you can afford? The one in Yorkeys Knob was really down, they didn;t show the half of it, we were told it would cost at least $100k to do it up which would make it more expesive that the second house that was brand new so why would we go for that! Initially Yorkey's Knob was where we wanted to go but the flight path put us off as there were planes over head every 15-20 mins and were too loud for my liking but other than that its gorgeous but well probably go with Kewarra Beach and build our own home as its cheaper!

Finally there is nothing wrong with our lives in the UK but we know that we can improve our lives, lifestyle and future for our foxcubs by moving to Oz, so why would not want to do it?

Thanks again for all your support and I hope you all have successful moves and fantasic lives down under

Ruth & Adam
xxxx
Ruth/Adam
We are heading off to Adelaide in April, and we enjoyed the look of Cairns so much, that we intend to take our 1st Aussie holiday there

Will the company help Adam with regard to taking the registration exams for an electrician ?

When do you think you will get out there for good ?

Si
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Hi guys... I've read loads of these threads... Full of Why I hate England and Why I want to go back to England 'cause all is not rosey! All I can say is my wife and I ping ponged between the two places 10 years ago. First time we came over for sun, sea, big house and lifestyle etc etc. and it all went tits up! 10 years later upon our return (unfinished business!)...... and its WONDERFUL, I now have an absolutely fantastic job, my girls are in private school (So cheap here compared to the eliteist systems in the UK - Besides we could never of afforded it back home) We never use the credit card to exist or to just to get through the month/holidays. We always have money in the bank - and can save! We live a wonderful lifestyle we could not possibly afford back home in England. Both are great countries. Both with their own trials and tribulations. I would advise you don't get swamped with the notion that life is much better here... its just different! Its not Eutopia! We're here for a good time not necessarily a longtime (We are having our house built here as I speak however) But thats not to say I want to move back to the UK either. One final thing. Meat and fruit might be cheaper - but omg food generally is much more expensive here...especially bread as pointed out by the many contributors! Horses for courses my friend....Horses for courses
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:23 pm
Bird

Clair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the roughClair and Darren Kleba is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by behappi22
Hi Sarah,

Hope you're all enjoying your new life in Aus, have been watching the programme and will look out for you. We are looking to move to Aus this year, in process of getting visas and are looking at Brisbane. Can you offer any advice, places to live? What process you went through? How quickly the process was for you? Any information you could advise would be great.

Enjoy
Jacqui
Hi Jacqui,

We're moving to Brizzy at the end of the month! getting really nervous now! the kids are looking forward to it more than us now We got our visa cos the OH is an electrical fitter and so he'll be doing that when we get there! We've got friends in Brizzy and they said it is georgeous there so we'll go and have a look around and make our own minds up. All in all it took 15 months which is a bloody long time to say the goodbyes!! One more party and then its all over! What made you look at Brizzy?? Do you have any kids?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Is there going to be a show on Brisbane this series?? Seems to be mainly New Zealand at the moment
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyR
Is there going to be a show on Brisbane this series?? Seems to be mainly New Zealand at the moment
Hi Andy,
Apart from Cairns there doesn't seem to be any Queensland ones. BUT next Wednesday, 23rd Jan, "Wanted Down Under Revisited" starts. This as the name suggests revisits the families who were on last year's series. The first one is the Warner family.

Taking a quote from the radio times website:

"Nadia Sawalha catches up with previous Wanted Down Under families. Last year, the Warner family from Oxfordshire were considering moving to Queensland's capital, Brisbane. Bob had been dreaming of emigrating for years, and teacher Libby was wanted down under because of the Australian skills shortage. But teenager Emily was reluctant, to say the least. So 12 months later, where are they now?"

The second programme is the Larner family who go to Perth - he's an electrician and on Friday its the carpet fitter going to the Gold Coast. I know the following Monday's is the family of 5 who go to adelaide - he's a mechanic named Jamie.

I don't know what's on Tuesday yet because the Radio Times website only gives the details for the next two weeks.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
Hi Andy,
Apart from Cairns there doesn't seem to be any Queensland ones. BUT next Wednesday, 23rd Jan, "Wanted Down Under Revisited" starts. This as the name suggests revisits the families who were on last year's series. The first one is the Warner family.

Taking a quote from the radio times website:

"Nadia Sawalha catches up with previous Wanted Down Under families. Last year, the Warner family from Oxfordshire were considering moving to Queensland's capital, Brisbane. Bob had been dreaming of emigrating for years, and teacher Libby was wanted down under because of the Australian skills shortage. But teenager Emily was reluctant, to say the least. So 12 months later, where are they now?"

The second programme is the Larner family who go to Perth - he's an electrician and on Friday its the carpet fitter going to the Gold Coast. I know the following Monday's is the family of 5 who go to adelaide - he's a mechanic named Jamie.

I don't know what's on Tuesday yet because the Radio Times website only gives the details for the next two weeks.

Hope that helps.

Mark
29th January is the Whelan Family who came to Perth. I know the couple well so it is worth watching.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:37 am
Jo short

joshort will become famous soon enoughjoshort will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by parisessex3
Hey Jo

How did you manage to contact the show? I tried to do the same thing after but couldnt find an email addy on the BBC website.

Thanks

Paris
HI Paris,

I just googled it Wanted down under, went on the BBC website and there was a link looking for applicants, there was a web address and phone number, although I ncever heard anything back, I wote and left a message. you may have better luck!

cheers

Jo

if you still cant find it ill give to you over here, if thats OK.. (im newish to all this.. not sure what you can and cant post ect)
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:43 am
Jo short

joshort will become famous soon enoughjoshort will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DONOVAN
Hiya Jo

We will be on end January I think it is called Wanted down Under "revisited" but don't hold me to that, and yes we are still here and loving it, so looking forward to the feedback on the second show!!! where are you in Hemel?, we used to live in Slippers Hill and loved it, then b4 moving to Oz we lived with my husbands parents in Pimlico.

Sarah x
Hi Sarah,

We live in Boxmoor in Hemel, but i dont know slippers Hill ?? so im glad your loving it, where did you end up living? we are not sure where to go, we have friends doing a rekki at the moment as they were living in perth but wasnt 100% on it there, so we chat over MSN and they are heading for QL, possibly a suburb out side brisbane.. and as soon as we get out visa's we are joining them... soooo much to look forward to..cant wait, we dont have any children yet but be bringing our little Jack russel Archie

any info welcome

thanks

Jo x
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:08 pm
starting again.....

FIZZYMOON will become famous soon enough

I wish they would do an episode for single people....
I dont mean 'backpackers' or young 'whippersnappers' but older people (like me! ) who want to do this desperately but are worried about starting alone in a new country.
I regretted not going 10 yrs ago and have now made the decision that its now or never! Got some money behind me, no family to have to 'consult' with and have seen a job similar to mine here with the emergency services in Cairns so will be going for it.
It would be good to hear from people that have set up on their own, smaller properties? things to do? places to go or to avoid?

Congratulations to those of you that have already made the move, Good luck to those of you going through it at the mo, and I hope to make some great friends on here.....!!!!

Fizzzzzzzzzz xxxxxxx
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:53 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm..sorry but was today's another freebie holiday?

Really felt for her, but think they knew from the start it wasn't gonna happen!

Ems x

Last edited by smiling4; Jan 15th 2008 at 3:55 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiling4
hmmmm..sorry but was today's another freebie holiday?

Really felt for her, but think they knew from the start it wasn't gonna happen!

Ems x
I thought that too. That bloke was NEVER going to leave his family firm. What made me laugh was the way he looked down his nose at those houses which were SO much nicer than their UK house.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Have to agree (sorry if the couple are on here), but that wasn't just editing, they both knew from the outset that he wouldn't earn the sort of money he was earning here as a Senior Manager in his family business.

Because of this he didn't really seem to give it a chance, it was very frustrating watching this programme. I really felt sorry for the woman, she so wanted to do make the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.