Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by PHATS
wow - just watched Thursdays show around the rural Brisbane area ! To buy land costs around £80,000 however this is the bit that got me! In the UK I can't get a house built for less than £130,000 plus land! In Australia it would cost from £50,000 + land!

Don't you guys think its so sad? The UK is tiny in size compared to Australia in terms of logistics. Moreover we have around 60 million population compared with Australia 20 million and yet it costs us over double on everything! Way too much greed going on!

Food in this country has become so expensive. Clothes and other items are way too high. I just came back from a trip in the USA and was blown away by how many pairs of shoes my wife purchased for one pair here - 5 pairs for £70! Don't ask... can you believe it five pairs! I now need to have an extension built ready for the clothes to go with her shoes - just kidding babes :-)
Im sorry but it is not cheaper here, please don't move for that reason you will be disapointed.Land is dearer in the UK because of theres not a lot of it. It is more available here I don't know about cheaper.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:03 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
HI again i guess i am lucky as sister has got me a big discount as she works for emirates...only in the early stages of application dont know if passed the skilled assesment???....me too checking everything about oz,will be good to check it out for real will let you know if it lives up to my expectation.....you are so right that life is too short,I will try and find some space to squeeze you in..come down to bournemouth for a fitting !!!!
whats the job you do.
were going under oh gasfitter plumber skills, i did the application didnt use an agent no need let me know what your applying for on your visa any help i can give just ask ok. and as for bournemouth wouldnt know my way there lol dont go any further than newcastle town centre.x keep in touch like your attitude

lesley
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

I dont think you fully undersand what i am saying.I have noticed you have started and written on a lot of posts ref moving back to the uk !!!....you live in perth for a start isnt that where all the poms go.....and one of your posts state about finding British curry in perth!!!!!...............I think you think I am writing about you......perhaps you dont like alot of things about oz as much as britain...thats up to you, i am off to either queensland or adelaide.Not perth.......I am going to australia in 5 days maybe then i will get a shock and see how awful it is and my ozzi syndrome !!!!!!will just vannish. ......i will visit jobs, schools, people who are english living there....estate agents and get a feel for the place just think in queensland i can buy a beautiful large house with land instead of struggle living in a small ex council house, also the job offers for carpentry there is £14.50 per hour a bit better than £ 8.50 here hey......and you wonder why i want to move ....

I live in Queensland, you sound starry eyed to me. BBC wanted down under, what a pity it in't more real. Good Luck though and I hope it fulfills your dreams.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:38 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you fully undersand what i am saying.I have noticed you have started and written on a lot of posts ref moving back to the uk !!!....you live in perth for a start isnt that where all the poms go.....and one of your posts state about finding British curry in perth!!!!!...............I think you think I am writing about you......perhaps you dont like alot of things about oz as much as britain...thats up to you, i am off to either queensland or adelaide.Not perth.......I am going to australia in 5 days maybe then i will get a shock and see how awful it is and my ozzi syndrome !!!!!!will just vannish. ......i will visit jobs, schools, people who are english living there....estate agents and get a feel for the place just think in queensland i can buy a beautiful large house with land instead of struggle living in a small ex council house, also the job offers for carpentry there is £14.50 per hour a bit better than £ 8.50 here hey......and you wonder why i want to move ....
#1. I have not as yet started a post on this site.

#2. I have never stated that I found a British curry here.I was giving my opinion on restaurants I have been to.

#3. If ALL the 'poms' were in Perth, why do you see many more members on this site who live in Q'land, NSW, Victoria, Adelaide, Darwin, Tas?

We also spent two 1 month reccies in Australia. Living here is very different. I have never once said I don't like Australia and have NEVER said it was 'awful. You obviously read things that aren't there and cannot state facts.

Oh, and I don't 'wonder why you want to move'. The thought never crossed my mind actually. It's just you're gushing posts about life in Oz when you have never been here, let alone lived here, that made me wonder what you were expecting and how you could compare the way you do.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Feb 1st 2007 at 11:42 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:43 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
#1. I have not as yet started a post on this site.

#2. I have never stated that I found a British curry here.I was giving my opinion on restaurants I have been to.

#3. If ALL the 'poms' were in Perth, why do you see many more members on this site who live in Q'land, NSW, Victoria, Adelaide, Darwin, Tas?

We also spent two 1 month reccies in Australia. Living here is very different. I have never once said I don't like Australia and have NEVER said it was 'awful. You obviously read things that aren't there and cannot state facts.

Oh, and I don't 'wonder why you want to move'. The thought never crossed my mind actually. It's just you're gushing posts about life in Oz when you have never been here, let alone lived here, that made me wonder what you were expecting and how you could compare the way you do.

Perhaps your location gives people the impression you might not like it where you are?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:47 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Perhaps your location gives people the impression you might not like it where you are?
Oh yes, and why would that be?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:50 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, and why would that be?
In purgatory?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:51 pm
'In limboland'

In purgatory?
...and?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:14 am
Living the Dream!

...and?
the place where you make up for your sins before you go to heaven
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:21 am
'In limboland'

the place where you make up for your sins before you go to heaven
I'm not a sinner!lol

Purgatory also means to be in a "state of torment, pain or distress". That was me personally at the time I put that on there, not Perth or WA.

I love your avatar btw.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:50 am
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blowfly
I live in Queensland, you sound starry eyed to me. BBC wanted down under, what a pity it in't more real. Good Luck though and I hope it fulfills your dreams.
and oh what a wonderful dream we all had before we came.

Good luck to everyone who's coming here, I truly hope it works out for you all.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Far better materials used in the UK, Oz houses are wood with a brick veneer.
Not all of them, ours is double brick with proper plaster on the walls!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:34 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Purgatory also means to be in a "state of torment, pain or distress". That was me personally at the time I put that on there.
Under your avatar it says LOCATION......not state of mind. Location doesnt mean how you are feeling at the time, get over yourself.

In regards to this prog, which is, after all, what this thread is about, I have downloaded the Perth ones, and found them to be quite odd. One family was put in a rental house south of Rockingham, yet the job the guy had was well on the way to Yanchep, how does that make any sense. It seemed to be all the usual guff, with precious little content or helpful information for potential migrants. Typical UK TV to be honest. At the start of the Perth show the presenter does the intro yet Melbourne is quite obviously behind her in the background.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:37 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Not all of them, ours is double brick with proper plaster on the walls!

Good for you. But not for the prices they were quoting.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Good for you. But not for the prices they were quoting.
Ours worked out in the end just under $172K (still in shock that it was actually under budget...!)

Most of them in this neck of the woods are double brick, only seen one wood framed house go up so far on our estate... seems different states do differnet things as most other people I've spoken to in other states have wood framed too....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.