Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:57 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
whats the job you do.
were going under oh gasfitter plumber skills, i did the application didnt use an agent no need let me know what your applying for on your visa any help i can give just ask ok. and as for bournemouth wouldnt know my way there lol dont go any further than newcastle town centre.x keep in touch like your attitude

lesley
HI i dont work at the moment, applying through hubby being a chippy.

we found we didnt know where to start, so paid a agent £1800 to do the whole process if i need help i will give you a shout, i wish i knew you before coughing up that money,

however it has been a nightmare trying to sort the skilled assesment out with an agent let alone without...just had a reply from him today asking us what he needs for the visa process, like birth certs etc, and cis vouchers dont think we have them as they have all gone to the tax office.....makes my head spin....

..just drive south as far as you can get right at the bottom just make sure you dont keep going or you will end up in the sea ha ha......still waiting for you to squeeze in the case....i wonder what customs will think you probably would suffocate have you thought about that one!!!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 2:59 pm
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by blowfly
I live in Queensland, you sound starry eyed to me. BBC wanted down under, what a pity it in't more real. Good Luck though and I hope it fulfills your dreams.
you obviously dont like it as much as hoped why did you go there in the first place:and why dont you come home!!

Last edited by graciebluecat; Feb 2nd 2007 at 3:31 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:13 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
HI i dont work at the moment, applying through hubby being a chippy.

we found we didnt know where to start, so paid a agent £1800 to do the whole process if i need help i will give you a shout, i wish i knew you before coughing up that money,

however it has been a nightmare trying to sort the skilled assesment out with an agent let alone without...just had a reply from him today asking us what he needs for the visa process, like birth certs etc, and cis vouchers dont think we have them as they have all gone to the tax office.....makes my head spin....

..just drive south as far as you can get right at the bottom just make sure you dont keep going or you will end up in the sea ha ha......still waiting for you to squeeze in the case....i wonder what customs will think you probably would suffocate have you thought about that one!!!!!
lol mad woman that you are, you will be applying for skilled independent then 136 same as us tr assesment wasnt that bad for us was done in under 3 weeks, only sent certified copies of nvq,s for hubbies trade ie gasfitter plumber and reference from employer so dont worry too much visa application the most bloody papeerwork ever but as ive said give me a shout or pm me no probs lesley
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
lol mad woman that you are, you will be applying for skilled independent then 136 same as us tr assesment wasnt that bad for us was done in under 3 weeks, only sent certified copies of nvq,s for hubbies trade ie gasfitter plumber and reference from employer so dont worry too much visa application the most bloody papeerwork ever but as ive said give me a shout or pm me no probs lesley
hi lesley gracie mad woman ere' HAHA the trade assesment we had to do 5 refs from employers andy put in one ref that he had done a conservatory and mixed the cement etc,thought it would be good explaining he could do more than just wood,

but agent took it out of ref and said it would of got refused .As a chippie they can only work with wood, even though andy was showing he could do all the work assosiated with building a wooden conservatory the visa people would of thrown it out....little things like that hey it took me 2 months to sort all of them out and take to ex employers to sign its been a bit of a headache.

if that was bad god hep me with the visa app......i dont recon we will get it .
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
#1. I have not as yet started a post on this site.

#2. I have never stated that I found a British curry here.I was giving my opinion on restaurants I have been to.

#3. If ALL the 'poms' were in Perth, why do you see many more members on this site who live in Q'land, NSW, Victoria, Adelaide, Darwin, Tas?

We also spent two 1 month reccies in Australia. Living here is very different. I have never once said I don't like Australia and have NEVER said it was 'awful. You obviously read things that aren't there and cannot state facts.

Oh, and I don't 'wonder why you want to move'. The thought never crossed my mind actually. It's just you're gushing posts about life in Oz when you have never been here, let alone lived here, that made me wonder what you were expecting and how you could compare the way you do.
you know what ever !!!

it wasnt a post on here but on another post,i have looked up your user name and all the post you have evr loked at or written on,alot are posts to do with moving back to uk!!!!!...you havent said you dont like oz, but you are so negative about it to do with people moving, if they would have a better life there than here in uk good luck...

yes lots of brits move to oz all over, but isnt it 80 %(statistics) of british living in perth or am i just wrong yet again in your eyes.

maybe you should look to why i want to move then you would realise i woud have a better life for my kids there.than here in the uk and people like you try to put me off ....No i have nevr been to oz, but done enough research thankyou...

.and if i can live in a better area than i do. I live in a council area for gods sake its all i can afford here in expensive south of england,i be able to buy a house for less than the ones here have a better life for my kids...

..tell me why to so many brits move and they havent even been there, perhaps like me they choose to move for a better life.......wdu is a good programme to show different reasons for the move i would say alot would never make it and settle the ones who will seriously miss their family or had a better life in the uk,the family on the sydney show hairdreser had a beauitiful home here good business hair dressers , and they perhaps wouldnt have the same life there especially if she took on a employed position as a barber. they still picked oz.though....different lives create different experiences......my life would be better in oz thats that.

Last edited by graciebluecat; Feb 2nd 2007 at 5:10 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
If you believe that, you're seriously mistaken.

They are worse the materials are of lesser quality. Why else do you think it's cheaper to build here when materials are no cheaper to buy, you figure it out.

If you wanted a house built to the same spec as the UK you'd be looking at twice the price.

The joists are half the size, the windows are cheap and let in draughts and rattle in the wind. You only get one layer of bricks compared to two in the UK.

No central heating, just cheap nasty hot air which we don't even put on.

Nothing is square, everything is "within tolerence".

There's a reason the houses are cheap.
no not seriously mistaken. i live in a two year old uk house and speak from experience. and every structure is built "within tolerance" anywhere. not saying the houses in oz aren't as bad or even worse, but lets not rosy tint about good old british standards. you also have to consider the difference in room sizes etc and the need for uk houses to withstand severe temperature variations. you're comparing apples with oranges here. likewise if you wanted a uk house built to the same dimmensions as an oz house, "twice the price" wouldn't touch it
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

you obviously dont like it as much as hoped why did you go there in the first place:and why dont you come home!!
You know nothing of my situation at all. I am indeed coming home. Take your rosy glasses off ,you may end up with egg your face mate!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:57 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

It's not always as simple as that, a lot of us would be home now but have commitments here and have to raise a lot of money to get back. As Blowfly said, good luck to you, it's not nice going through all that crap and finding your dreams shatter once you get here
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

you know what ever !!!

..tell me why to so many brits move and they havent even been there, perhaps like me they choose to move for a better life........
They chose to move for what they HOPE will be a better life... its not guaranteed. About 30% go home again within a short period of time

wdu is a good programme to show different reasons for the move.
WDU is entertainment.. its not real... its a TV show.. it has no more basis in fact than Eastenders.

Nobody is trying to stop you from coming.. you wouldn't listen to us anyway.. just try and be a little more realistic in your expectations.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
They chose to move for what they HOPE will be a better life... its not guaranteed. About 30% go home again within a short period of time

WDU is entertainment.. its not real... its a TV show.. it has no more basis in fact than Eastenders.

Nobody is trying to stop you from coming.. you wouldn't listen to us anyway.. just try and be a little more realistic in your expectations.
I dont know what to expect from living there all iknow is i dont have anything holding me here.....i dont know your circumstances at all and looks like you do not know mine....I am looking for positive things on here as i am looking to emigrate no i do not live there,and i have not experienced it yet...you are right.......but hopefully i will find it everything i hope please tell me why you would rather come home people fill me in,......maybe it will help me understand the pit falls the show does show problems people may face.in my opinion it does.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:44 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what to expect from living there all iknow is i dont have anything holding me here.....i dont know your circumstances at all and looks like you do not know mine....I am looking for positive things on here as i am looking to emigrate no i do not live there,and i have not experienced it yet...you are right.......but hopefully i will find it everything i hope please tell me why you would rather come home people fill me in,......maybe it will help me understand the pit falls the show does show problems people may face.in my opinion it does.
In all honesty - and this is coming from someone who's firmly in the 'I love it here' camp - it doesn't give you much idea at all of what living here is really like. I don't know your circumstances at all, what visa you're applying for, etc... But if you really want to know what issues some people have then the Moving back to the UK forum is a good place to start... Be warned though, some of it's not very pretty... but forewarned, forearmed and all that... and anything that can help you not becoming one of the 30% returnees can only help... Good luck...
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from all the obvious things that can go wrong.. no job, poor wages, cost of living, all of which could be said about the UK as well, you may simply find that when you start living here that you hate it.. its that basic. Its not home.. things that really shouldn't bother you start driving you mad..

the heat, the humidity, the flies, the driving, the lousy choice in the shops.. all of these things, and more, really shouldn't be that important but they become important when your unhappy... and until you try it for yourself you will never know how its going to work out.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Apart from all the obvious things that can go wrong.. no job, poor wages, cost of living, all of which could be said about the UK as well, you may simply find that when you start living here that you hate it.. its that basic. Its not home.. things that really shouldn't bother you start driving you mad..

the heat, the humidity, the flies, the driving, the lousy choice in the shops.. all of these things, and more, really shouldn't be that important but they become important when your unhappy... and until you try it for yourself you will never know how its going to work out.
TRUE and thankyou for your point at least you explain what you dont like....if there is no job t go to poor wages and other things you have experienced sure i agree with you,

but for me i want to try it, and carpenters are in demand out there unlike here ,all the polish have been aloud in and they work for £5 per hour,have taken all our jobs good on them for wanting to work, i blame the government, they do not put their own people first..kids here are getting worse than ever uk has gone to pot big time ,no first time buyers interest rates are hiking and lots of people already been reposessed.....i dont know how long you been out there, but maybe you forgotton how bad the uk is..

.my husband has been offered twice the wage in oz to uk.as a carpenter..we struggle to pay our morgage here,surley the cost of living cannot be as high as here in the south uk.

It obviously hasnt worked for you.I am used to flies as horrible as they are i went to yugoslavia as a kid 12 times as my mum was from there i loved the weather,got used to flies.....i hate the cold cant bear it i have reynards syndrome where my hands go blue due to cold weather...

...i just hope it is for us, i know its not for evry one, but just because it has not worked for you does not mean it doesnt work for everyone, if its 30% of brits come home 70% stay well that sounds promising to me......if i hate it in queensland i wll move somewhere else in oz i will not come back to the uk.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:29 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
no not seriously mistaken. i live in a two year old uk house and speak from experience. and every structure is built "within tolerance" anywhere. not saying the houses in oz aren't as bad or even worse, but lets not rosy tint about good old british standards. you also have to consider the difference in room sizes etc and the need for uk houses to withstand severe temperature variations. you're comparing apples with oranges here. likewise if you wanted a uk house built to the same dimmensions as an oz house, "twice the price" wouldn't touch it

Yes you are seriously mistaken. Of course twice the price wouldn't touch it because they use better materials.

No rosy tint here, just cold facts.

For an example the wood they use here wouldn't pass British standards as it is half the size.

The reason why houses are cheaper here is because they use cheaper materials and less of them, this isn't an opinion it's a fact.

But don't let the small matter of a fact get in the way of a good old UK dig.

Before anyone tells me to go home if I don't like it, well I do like it.

But I don't have to walk about with rose tints on to do so.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rodders39
In all honesty - and this is coming from someone who's firmly in the 'I love it here' camp - it doesn't give you much idea at all of what living here is really like. I don't know your circumstances at all, what visa you're applying for, etc... But if you really want to know what issues some people have then the Moving back to the UK forum is a good place to start... Be warned though, some of it's not very pretty... but forewarned, forearmed and all that... and anything that can help you not becoming one of the 30% returnees can only help... Good luck...
Thankyou i will have a good read...more info the better.my circumstances we as a family of 6 concsisting of 2 adults and 4 kids, have applied for the skilled visa (carpenter).....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.