Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Webbie
... or how about Total Network Solutions v Östers IF (Sweden) ?
(Wrecksum racehorse ground - July 29th)

This is one of our adoptive clubs and I'll be throwing in an occasional fixture from them on the Prediction League.

Very decent website they've got too:
http://www.saints-alive.co.uk/index.php
TNS are in the *takes breath* Vauxhall Masterfit Retailers Welsh Premier League.
*phew*

Have a look at the second player on the main page.
Center forward and pie eater is my bet.
Prefer Colwyn Bay, they had this gorgeous barmaid who had great legs when we went there a year or two back in the FA Trophy. And they have a wall in their club bar signed by the immortal Jarzhino.

Last edited by doctor scrumpy; Jul 14th 2004 at 6:51 am.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:49 am
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Virtual pint to anyone who knows where TNS home ground actually is....
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Tone
Virtual pint to anyone who knows where TNS home ground actually is....
Wales
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:56 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Wales
Think you'll find it's in Oswestry, which unless I'm much mistaken is in England.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NOT the most impressive 'stadium' in Wales, but not bad for a village the size of Llansantffraid (population just over 1,000).
The Recreation Ground, usually referred to as Treflan, is bang in the middle of the village - just turn off the A4393 opposite Wynnstay Stores.

From their own website
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:11 am
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

And is behind the Community Centre....

Total Network Solutions FC
Recreation Ground,
Treflan,
Llansantffraid SY22 6AE
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I am much mistaken then.

maybe TNS (the company, not the football team) is from Oswestry
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:12 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Prefer Colwyn Bay, they had this gorgeous barmaid who had great legs when we went there a year or two back in the FA Trophy. And they have a wall in their club bar signed by the immortal Jarzhino.
I've been there !

(Colwyn v Barrow when they were in the Northern Prem)
Nice drive to get to the place.
But we turned them over 3-nil and their fans turned over our car - literally.
Came out of the bar after a celebratory few after the game and the car was on it's roof !
maybe TNS (the company, not the football team) is from Oswestry.
TNS used to be Oswestry. (After a brief scan of their history) They went tits up and then TNS were formed:
http://www.saints-alive.co.uk/history_oswestry.htm
But they swallowed up Llansantffraid before becoming TNS :
http://www.saints-alive.co.uk/history.htm

Correction on their UEFA cup match - the 29th July at Wrexhumm is the 2nd leg.
1st leg is on 15th July in Sweden.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ended up watching DC United 1-1 Nottingham Forest last night at RFK. Superb tailgate before the game when some DC fans laid on free beer & free hot dogs for visiting fans. Forest fetched about 300 over from the UK.

Trouble is can you imagine trying to tailgate at some of the UK grounds in the middle of winter ? Not a bad game, but if DC were that good, they would have overwhelmed Forest. DC in the middle of their season, Forest in pre season training after all.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:14 am
@matthewb76

Taken from a suderland site

----------

Dear Sir,

Following the recent announcement regarding the vacancy for the job of Netherlands Football Coach, I hereby wish to put myself forward for the position.

Not only do I believe that I have the necessary skills and experience to fill the post, but I feel that I would bring with me a host of methods & ideas currently never seen on these shores, but indeed that are proving hugely successful in other parts of the world.

My track record in management speaks for itself and although I have been out of the game for some time I still feel that I have a lot to offer as an international football coach. Amongst my most notable achievements in the game include the English Third Division championship, Second Division title and promotion to the Premiership via the play offs in successive seasons with Swansea City & Scunthorpe (CM3 01/02), as well as promotion with Hull City and Rushden & Diamonds and Champions League football with the aforementioned clubs.(CM4)

My man-management skills are second to none - something which I feel will certainly come in useful following the rather unsavory incidents that have plagued the Dutch national in major tournaments including the recent European Championships in Portugal.

I have many friends and admirers in the game and belief that having built up an excellent reputation over the years. I am very well respected, not only in the UK, but throughout (some other parts of) Europe too. As a keen follower of football in the North East of England I have watched the likes of Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink, Ruud van Nistlerooy, Mario Melchiot, Bobby Petta and Wim Jonk on a regular basis and recently I met Gazza in a book shop (He’s a nice bloke, often misunderstood).

Although my playing career was cut short – a little bit like Marco Van Basten’s – I used to practice the Cruyff turn in my back garden, could head the ball like Gullit and could cover 20 yards quicker than you can spit in Frank Rjkaard’s dreads. I also had pet rat called Neeskens when I was a lad.

I hope you will consider my application for this position and look forward to hearing from you. One final point that I feel may enhance my application is that I plan on bringing with me as my head coach, a man with European experience in France, Spain, Italy, and England, a man with ‘fresh’ ideas who will revolutionize the structure of coaching at all levels in this great footballing nation, a man with 20 odd caps for England and for whom the compensation to Coventry City would surely be the best £3m pounds you will ever spend..but we’ll talk more about Adrian Heath at the interview.

Kind Regards,
Jarvis x

Dear Mr Jarvis,

On behalf of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbal Bond (KNVB) we thank you of your interest in the position of National Voetbal Coach.

After much consideration it has been decided that unfortunately we will not be inviting you for an interview on this occasion. The KNVB received much interest from many strong candidates from around Europe for this position and felt that your experience may be better suited to an advisory role, possibly outside of the Netherlandse.

We would like to wish you well in seeking your future role in football and once again we thank you for your interest in the Dutch National Side.

Please take the opportunity to apply for a reservation at our international coaching programme taking place in Ziest in August 2004. For additional information contact the KNVB Academy via e-mail: [email protected]

The Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbal Bond also wish to make clear that they have no interest in recruiting Mr. Heath in any capacity either at this time however we do of course politely wish him good fortune in his current role with Coventry City.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Very funny!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:50 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Thwowing his toys out of the pram:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/3895549.stm

Shearer makes quit threat

Alan Shearer has told Newcastle United he may quit the club unless he is assured of a regular place in the team during the next Premiership season.
"If the manager said I wasn't going to be a regular I'd have to consider things," said the Newcastle captain.

"I don't want my last season to be an anticlimax. I want to play as much football as I can in my last season."

Strikers James Beattie, of Southampton, and Barcelona's Patrick Kluivert have been linked with a move to Newcastle.
No one man is bigger than the team.
He should be left on the bench for a couple of games to eat a bit of humble pie.

Actually I think he was last season and he pouted about that.
Come on Shearer - you are not the messiah.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:53 am
@matthewb76

Let him quit then...........
He isn't gonna earn a week anywhere else what he earns at Newcastle, and what does he need regular first team footy for? it's not like he's in the hunt for an intl place with England.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:19 am

Today's five minute challenge:

Who's Who (The Who)
State of Quo
Too Rex
Flamin Slade
A Fixx Of Seagulls

These are the names of actual tribute bands, but I want everyone to create some new ones.

Here are my entries:

ZYX (ABC)
Red Hot Silly Beggers
Doomtown Brats
Heysham Crap (Fleetwood Mac) [Northern joke there]
Durrum Durrum

Works better with two or three worded bands.

The gauntlet glove has slapped. Do you accept the challenge ?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:40 am
@matthewb76

Saw a cracker a few months ago on a British site.
George Formby Heavy Metal tribute

Banjovi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.