Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:43 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mojo

Originally posted by ducatiandy
15 years ago tomorrow Glasgow Rangers signed Mo Johnston from the clutches of their arch rivals, Celtic:

Does anyone know why this was such a big issue?

What was the last interview Mojo had before he was paraded as Rangers new wonder boy, what was it he said?

Who was the Rangers player/manager at the time?

Why oh why did he role his shorts up like a big poof?
He said something like Celtic were the only club he ever wanted to play for. He had played for Celtic for a few years in the mid 80s before moving to Nantes. On his return to Scotland he'd been expected to re-join Celtic. As I recall he'd been even been photographed in a Celtic top before Souness stepped in. So the Tims felt betrayed and the huns were outraged that a Catholic was playing for them. Cue outrage and burning of Ibrox season tickets.

I'm slightly surprised that, as a Rangers fan, you don't know more about this topic. Nowadays it seems Rangers have more Catholics playing in their team than Celtic do.

Re Celtic's lack of signings, I think its more to do with the lack of affordable prospects, not arrogance. They're struggling with finding enough money in their biscuit tin to get a suitable replacement for Larsson. Unfortunately there are also rumours that MoN's wife is seriously ill, and that he might be quitting the club to look after her.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DaveC
He said something like Celtic were the only club he ever wanted to play for. He had played for Celtic for a few years in the mid 80s before moving to Nantes. On his return to Scotland he'd been expected to re-join Celtic. As I recall he'd been even been photographed in a Celtic top before Souness stepped in. So the Tims felt betrayed and the huns were outraged that a Catholic was playing for them. Cue outrage and burning of Ibrox season tickets.

I'm slightly surprised that, as a Rangers fan, you don't know more about this topic. Nowadays it seems Rangers have more Catholics playing in their team than Celtic do.

Re Celtic's lack of signings, I think its more to do with the lack of affordable prospects, not arrogance. They're struggling with finding enough money in their biscuit tin to get a suitable replacement for Larsson. Unfortunately there are also rumours that MoN's wife is seriously ill, and that he might be quitting the club to look after her.

Do know just asking the question like trivia, pub quiz sort of idea on the net.

Where did you hear the MoN rumour? Any truth in it?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Pub Quiz.

1. Which team were the last to win a FA Cup game at the Victoria Ground in Stoke on Trent. (you'll all guess the team.........) who scored the goals.

2. Which 'City' in Britain is the smallest to have a league football team.

3. True or false, true or false......... Leeds are shit?

4. Why did Plymouth Argyle away strip go from white to orange 2/3 season ago, and now this season become white again?

answers on a postcard?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:53 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies, that wasn't clear to me.

I've read that rumour on a couple of SPL team chat sites. There has been nothing in the press to my knowledge. I hope that there is no truth to it, as much as I dislike MoN I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by manc1976
Pub Quiz.

1. Which team were the last to win a FA Cup game at the Victoria Ground in Stoke on Trent. (you'll all guess the team.........) who scored the goals.

4. Why did Plymouth Argyle away strip go from white to orange 2/3 season ago, and now this season become white again?

answers on a postcard?
3) No, they are worse than that.

Reckon Worcester is one of the biggest to have never had a league team.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:44 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Berwick?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Berwick?
no, the team name ends in City.

Is Berwick a town or a city anyways? dunno........
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:49 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

On the Mo Johnston saga...Souness said he was actually determined to sign a catholic for Rangers after listening to the tripe from board members/share holders and general arseholes talking sectarian crap throught the club. He later signed for Hearts and received similar hostility...not because he was catholic, but because he was just shite.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 5:51 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

no, the team name ends in City.

Is Berwick a town or a city anyways? dunno........
Good question...town I think.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:59 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Pub Quiz.

answers on a postcard?
1. Stockport - Carlton Palmer. (I don't honestly know or really give a snit)

2. Bath is a league team... ? No. Colchester...? No... Bristol !

3. There is a concensus going around that the phrase should now be changed to: "Do bears shit in the Elland Road ?"

4. Sponsorship ? Were they sponsored by Orange (the moble phone company) Or was it Outspan...?

Some footie news:
Jimmy Floyd has gone from Chelski to Boro.
Gazza is in talks with Boston United.
El Tel is going back to Oz.
Peter Taylor is going back to run the E U21's, but staying at Hull (and back) at the same time.
Hoddle is NOT in the running for the France job.

Take The Very British Name Generator
my name is: Terrance Watson.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:08 pm
@matthewb76

1. Stockport - Carlton Palmer. (I don't honestly know or really give a snit)

Alun Armstrong and Luis Cavaco

2. Bath is a league team... ? No. Colchester...? No... Bristol !

Brechin

3. There is a concensus going around that the phrase should now be changed to: "Do bears shit in the Elland Road ?"

indeed

4. Sponsorship ? Were they sponsored by Orange (the moble phone company) Or was it Outspan...?

My mate reliably informs me it's cos Paul Sturrock is a Dundee United lad, but when he left for Southampton, out went the Orange shirts.

Take The Very British Name Generator

regards
Humphrey Garside
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:20 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Originally posted by Webbie
Take The Very British Name Generator[/URL]
Tony Carlisle's the name...pleased to meet you Terry.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:22 pm
100% Pure

Tony Carlisle's the name...pleased to meet you Terry.
Hey, maybe we're related... I'm Damian Carlisle.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:28 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Originally posted by DaveC
Hey, maybe we're related... I'm Damian Carlisle.
Could be. Still laughing at Terrence Watson lol
Wonder how many of those at Eton?
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:07 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Could be. Still laughing at Terrence Watson lol
Wonder how many of those at Eton?
Hello my name is Rupert Gladstone, your prospective Tory MP from Higher Wedgie, Berks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.