Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Wikiposts

Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Originally Posted by arnie
Can you tell me where La Lota restaurant is? Also where is Casa Vicente, I may have been there already but I don't think I new its name. My recommendation so for is La Rana excellent fish and excellent tomato salad, also the beach restaurants at El Rompido are very good. Someone once mentioned a very good pizza place somewehere near the beach at Isla Canela can anyone remember its name or exact location? As restaurateurs ourselves we are keen to investigate as many good eateries as possible, so will let you know what we find on our trip this summer. We are looking forward to trying out and also supporting the new club house (if it ever opens!).
Hi arnie,

La Lota is about 50m toward the marina opposite the River end of the covered market in the pedestrianised street 2nd door on left.

Regards,

John.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jul 13th 2007 at 8:03 am.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I think the problem that most people, well me anyway, have with the food in Spain is more to do with the lack of variety, rather than a lack of quality which is generally very good.

I for one am sick of going into restaurants for the first time and not having to read the menu because I already know exactly what is on it. I´ve been to El Choco, Casa Vincente the one opposite the petrol station, etc and yeah the quality is great, but I am sick of bloody fried fish!!

It´s the same wherever you go. There must be at least 200 tapas bars in Jerez and EVERY SINGLE ONE has exactly the same tapas. Ensaladilla rusa, salpicon, albondigas, boquerones. Sounding familiar to anyone?

Hello Keithwalters,
You can also eat, if you like, prime (i do not know if prime is "pata negra") there are all kind of dishes from pork "pluma iberica", "secreto iberico", "presa iberica", the last one is the succulent part of the pork shoulder blade, from the front legs, you can eat, also, "jamon iberico" "lomo iberico".
There is a restaurant in the marina of Punta del Moral, the name is, i think, "chiringuito Antonio V", you can eat all kind of rice ("arroz con gambas", "arroz caldoso", "arroz con cigalas", "arroz con almejas"....). We go there very often.
About tapas, there are, besides the ones you have said, chocos, gambas blancas, coquinas, almejas, cigalas, navajas...
Attached two web pages. I have never been in any restaurant that appear in this list of "guia michelin" but this guia has a very good reputation, you all must know it, mustn't you?

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...r/Restaurantes

http://www.tarso.com/Recomiendo.html

Regards ,
marisol
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem that most people, well me anyway, have with the food in Spain is more to do with the lack of variety, rather than a lack of quality which is generally very good.

I for one am sick of going into restaurants for the first time and not having to read the menu because I already know exactly what is on it. I´ve been to El Choco, Casa Vincente the one opposite the petrol station, etc and yeah the quality is great, but I am sick of bloody fried fish!!

It´s the same wherever you go. There must be at least 200 tapas bars in Jerez and EVERY SINGLE ONE has exactly the same tapas. Ensaladilla rusa, salpicon, albondigas, boquerones. Sounding familiar to anyone?

Hello Keithwalters,
You can also eat, if you like, prime (i do not know if prime is "pata negra") there are all kind of dishes from pork "pluma iberica", "secreto iberico", "presa iberica", the last one is the succulent part of the pork shoulder blade, from the front legs, you can eat, also, "jamon iberico" "lomo iberico".
There is a restaurant in the marina of Punta del Moral, the name is, i think, "chiringuito Antonio V", you can eat all kind of rice ("arroz con gambas", "arroz caldoso", "arroz con cigalas", "arroz con almejas"....). We go there very often.
About tapas, there are, besides the ones you have said, chocos, gambas blancas, coquinas, almejas, cigalas, navajas...
Attached three web pages. I have never been in any restaurant that appear in this list of "guia michelin" but this guia has a very good reputation, you all must know it, mustn't you?

http://www.todohuelva.com/1/restaura...lacristina.htm

Regards ,
marisol
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CSR
Thank you for this list... I love tuna fish and it good to know you can eat the best in the world in Ayamonte. I have always wanted to go to the Atlantic coast near Conil/Nova Santi Petri and watch the tuna/whales arrive. I will try and do that next year. I think they have a festival of some kind but I do not know at what time during the year the tuna migration takes place.

CSR
hello CSR
try this
http://www.fuertehoteles.com/guia/tu...as-locales.htm
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arnie
Can you tell me where La Lota restaurant is? Also where is Casa Vicente, I may have been there already but I don't think I new its name. My recommendation so for is La Rana excellent fish and excellent tomato salad, also the beach restaurants at El Rompido are very good. Someone once mentioned a very good pizza place somewehere near the beach at Isla Canela can anyone remember its name or exact location? As restaurateurs ourselves we are keen to investigate as many good eateries as possible, so will let you know what we find on our trip this summer. We are looking forward to trying out and also supporting the new club house (if it ever opens!).
hello Arnie
in this site, you can find the address of La Lota, in the letter "R" from Restaurants.
http://www.luzpages.com/r2r.html
and Casa Vicente in this one:
http://www.atapear.com/guia-de-bares...uelva/ayamonte
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Paco is a jewel in the roughPaco is a jewel in the roughPaco is a jewel in the roughPaco is a jewel in the rough

Hola Marisol,

of course the name is chiringuito Antonio V and the rice is specially good.

I recommend " Margallo " in the centre of Aymonte. It is an easy and poor restaurant and you can only eat chocos, fritura and tomatoes salad, but hmmm, the best of Ayamonte and very cheap.

Salu2
Paco
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:57 am
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Paco
Hola Marisol,

of course the name is chiringuito Antonio V and the rice is specially good.

I recommend " Margallo " in the centre of Aymonte. It is an easy and poor restaurant and you can only eat chocos, fritura and tomatoes salad, but hmmm, the best of Ayamonte and very cheap.

Salu2
Paco
Marisol and Paco

Thank you so much for sharing your recommendations ... what I would love most of all is to go to a Spanish restaurant with a Spanish friend to help me choose what is the best to eat - however, my question this evening is: what is/are chocos?

Sharon
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tednsharon
Marisol and Paco

Thank you so much for sharing your recommendations ... what I would love most of all is to go to a Spanish restaurant with a Spanish friend to help me choose what is the best to eat - however, my question this evening is: what is/are chocos?

Sharon
Hello Sharon
Chocos, according to the dictionary, are cuttlefishes and they are very typical there, you can eat grilled and fried. In some restaurants, in "El choco" for instance, you can it them grilled with onions. I love chocos and i never get tired of eating them, even though i always ask for them. Just thinking about this makes my mouth water .
Regards,
marisol
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:40 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
Hello Keithwalters,
Attached three web pages. I have never been in any restaurant that appear in this list of "guia michelin" but this guia has a very good reputation, you all must know it, mustn't you?

http://www.todohuelva.com/1/restaura...lacristina.htm

Regards ,
marisol
Thanks Marisol, but there´s nothing new or different in your recommendations. Is there a restaurant around the CDL that doesn´t offer coquinas? or choco? or gambas? or jamon? etc etc.

This is my point - it doesn´t really matter which Spanish restaurant you go to - the menu is always the same. Spanish food is usually good quality and fresh, but the elaboration and variety is very poor.

Eating out quickly becomes very boring if you only have Spanish restaurants at your disposal.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by encodeme
Some of the Spanish food leaves a lot to be desired. Haven't the restaurants seen the beautiful veg in the market. We once asked for veg and got peas and carrots out of a jar. The last time I saw that in England was 70's .
I think the big cities in Spain must have good restaurants.
The nearest we got to decent food in Ayamonte is the Noosh, and that Lebanese food.
What we do is ask for a salad with our meal. Have to say that we look forward to lovely fresh fish, so we find most of the restaurants to our taste. If you want modern international food try the club house at Castro Marim. It also has stunning views.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hello Encodeme
I am sorry but i do not agree with you, not at all. I am not saying that because i am spanish but because i really think in Spain you can eat marvellously, wherever you are. I reconignize the are a lot of things that should change in Spain and another ones that are ok, i do not want you to think i am talking under the influence of any kind of patriotism, not at all, i feel as if i were from the world, as everybody. Sorry if i have bored you all to death with my post, but i think i had to say that as i am from Spain.

getting to the point, there are a ot of good restaurants in Ayamonte, it depends on what you are looking for. For instance, i like "El Choco", you can eat very good, there is another one that i like and its name is "Casa Luciano". "Casa Vicente" is a place in where you can eat the best "atun" (tuna fish). The tuna fish of Ayamonte is one of the best in the world. You can eat there but only in Ayamonte, because almost all is used for exportation to Japan. There are many of good restaurants in Portugal, but, as i told you before, it depends on what you like, of course.

I hope i have not offended anybody with my post
regards
marisol
Hi Marisol El Choco is an excellent restaurant and we always try to eat there at least once each time we come out to CE. We also like La Casona.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:46 pm
CSR
Forum Regular

CSR will become famous soon enoughCSR will become famous soon enough

Thank you so much...this is exactly the information I needed. I have seen the tuna migration on the television and it looks amazing as the whales (killer whales I think) wait for the tuna to arrive and feast on the passing fish.

I would also love to see the horse racing on the beach at Sanlucar but I think I will miss it this year as I think it takes place too early in August for my visit.

We are so lucky having discovered such an interesting part of the world with so many amazing events in and around the region. I am lucky living in Gloucestershire also as we have cheese rolling, the highest gravity fountain in the world (several hundred feet high) and celebrity weddings (yuk!).

Although, I think I prefer eating chocos and queueing up at the 'esperanza' next to the indoor market for my churros for breakfast and dunking it in my coffee in the cafe opposite...my favourite too!!!!!!
CSR
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ayamonte - Costa Esuri - Part IV

Hello Sharon
Chocos, according to the dictionary, are cuttlefishes and they are very typical there, you can eat grilled and fried. In some restaurants, in "El choco" for instance, you can it them grilled with onions. I love chocos and i never get tired of eating them, even though i always ask for them. Just thinking about this makes my mouth water .
Regards,
marisol
Morning Marisol,

Nothing about food or Restaurants just to congratulate you on your English, it gets better with every post. I think we should appoint you this threads "Honorary English Lady".

Regards,

John.
</IMG>
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:45 pm
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

Hello Sharon
Regards,
marisol
Thank you, Marisol. Now I know what they are I shall make sure I try them!
Sharon
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish food is usually good quality and fresh, but the elaboration and variety is very poor.
It's ironic really that while people were debating the variety (or lack of it) of Spanish food, we were watching Market Kitchen on UKTV Food which all week has featured dishes prepared by restauranteurs and brothers Sam and Eddie Hart who run both Fino and Barrafina the celebrated Spanish restaurants in London.

I would say over the week the recipes were very varied. Maybe it isn't Spanish cuisine that is limited but rather a lack of demand from the locals or a reluctance amongst the Ayamonte restaurants to prepare and offer more diverse menus.

If you get too fed up with fried fish, you can always do what we often do. Sit on the balcony with a shed load of Langoustines, a pot of Aiolli, fresh crusty bread and several bottles of Crianza listening to James Morrison - Lovely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.