Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 25th 2013, 5:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Interesting observation.. wonder why he chose to omit that part.
Dont worry yourself too much, I would hate to think you are losing sleep
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:00 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
There has been hundreds of people who have committed suicide as they lost benefits and no work to go into and see no hope of survival.

There has been 100o's of genuine disabled with the likes of serious heart conditions lost their benefits forced to go to work and within a week have been found dead!

The Government Labour or Conservative are as bad as each other !

The article you reference seems to say the exact opposite.
The numbers retaining benefit and those being reclassified are roughly the same - 22% and 21% respectively.
BUT 1100 of those whose benefits were reduced died, whilst 5300 of those who did not have their benefits reduced died.
Bear in mind that nobody lives forever. Annual mortality is about 600 people per 100,000 in the UK. There are over 2.1 million people on ESA, so 21 percent is over 440, 000. All other things being equal (which clearly they are not) in an eight month period you would therefore expect there to be 1770 deaths in those reclassified, and 1857 in those who retained benefit. Not surprisingly, given that the latter have serious health problems, the death rate amongst those continuing to receive benefit is far higher than the average across the UK.

What I find utterly astonishing is that it appears from your article that those being reclassified have in fact a far higher chance of survival than the general public.

It would appear therefore that the headline is completely at odds with the text, and that seriously unwell people were left on benefits, whilst substantially healthier people (who were less likely to die than the general population, which one must take as an indication of good health) are being encouraged to find work. (Whilst incidentally still receiving benefit).

Or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

No, you didnt miss anything, I read the same thing.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
But you are happy for someone to say if you are 50 forget about getting a job? It took my wife best part of 2 months to find the job she has, probably the longest ever in her life but hardly disastrous.
Sadly, it seems that in spite of laws in place, your age will quite clearly stand in the way of employment in many cases.

In accountancy, for example, the requirement is mainly for newly and partly qualifieds these days, which usually gets around the age issue for the employer.

It just depends what your search area is, as well as supply and demand in your search area, but I would agree that in general 50 is going to be a barrier unless there is something about your age that actually makes you more suitable a candidate because, for example, you are more likely to put up with the crap that the job entails.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 25th 2013 at 6:11 pm. Reason: as well as supply and demand in your search area
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Sadly, it seems that in spite of laws in place, your age will quite clearly stand in the way of employment in many cases.

In accountancy, for example, the requirement is mainly for newly and partly qualifieds these days, which usually gets around the age issue for the employer.

It just depends what your search area is but I would agree that in general 50 is going to be a barrier unless there is something about your age that actually makes you more suitable a candidate because, for example, you are more likely to put up with the crap that the job entails.
I read recently that many employers actively seek out older employees because they bring experience and maturity to the job.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I read recently that many employers actively seek out older employees because they bring experience and maturity to the job.
Well quite! Most of us would probably agree with that sentiment but the reality seems to be that not enough do:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...reat-employees

'But recent figures released by the Office of National Statistics suggest that while companies with similar age-diverse policies are on the increase they are by no means typical. The number of people aged 65 or over in work went up by 25,000 to 992,000 between March and May of this year. However, the number of over-50s who have been unemployed for more than 12 months rose 11,000 to 191,000. There is also an estimated hidden 3.4m people aged 50 to 64 who are economically inactive but who exist by their own means and have chosen not to register for benefits.'

and from last year admittedly:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...e-to-find-work

'The over-50s are the worst-hit age group when it comes to long-term unemployment. It is a trend that economists warn will cost the economy dear as the population ages.

Because of the stalled economic recovery the problem is getting worse. The number of over-50s out of work for more than a year has doubled since the start of the recession to stand near a 15-year high, according to official statistics.'

As the articles seem to hint, when you have the worst ever unemployment in the younger ranks, it makes it even more likely that the emphasis will be on getting them into work first.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Well quite! Most of us would probably agree with that sentiment but the reality seems to be that not enough do:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...reat-employees

'But recent figures released by the Office of National Statistics suggest that while companies with similar age-diverse policies are on the increase they are by no means typical. The number of people aged 65 or over in work went up by 25,000 to 992,000 between March and May of this year. However, the number of over-50s who have been unemployed for more than 12 months rose 11,000 to 191,000. There is also an estimated hidden 3.4m people aged 50 to 64 who are economically inactive but who exist by their own means and have chosen not to register for benefits.'

and from last year admittedly:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...e-to-find-work

'The over-50s are the worst-hit age group when it comes to long-term unemployment. It is a trend that economists warn will cost the economy dear as the population ages.
2 guardian references there - so your sources cannot be trusted whatsoever.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I knew that the post by cliff1961 would be a defining one!

For 49? pages the discussion has largely fallen into the: 'UK is bad/UK is good' camps.
Someone then posts about the disparity of Government payments.

I knew that would sort the chaff from the wheat!
Now all three sides are in general agreement:

The spongers are not a minority, they are getting cars because they are fat? (the Daily Angleterra Planet says that millions of fat people are clogging the roads in their new cars), so it must be true.

....and those on the rrrr's end of benefits?; they too have a go at those who get benefits when they don't.

I notice that there has been negligible discussion about those who squander or amass countless millions of pounds at our expense.

(God they must laugh at the peasants squabbling amongst themselves!)
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
The spongers are not a minority, they are getting cars because they are fat? (the Daily Angleterra Planet says that millions of fat people are clogging the roads in their new cars), so it must be true.
Watch the first episode of Benefits Britain 1949 and you'll see - Form your own opinion of course.

Mine is that its any excuse not to work and receive benefits money from the state. Totally disgusting, that money should be diverted to those who are genuinely in need of it, i.e. wounded soldiers, people with severe disabilities and those who have temporary fallen on hard times.

When I was a student, several of the people I worked with (in retail) had been given new Mondeo's etc because one of their parents wasn't mobile, so they were given the car to drive them around. I just find that shocking.

There was a post in the last few pages about the need to combat extreme greed and wealth and to somehow get people to focus on doing "good" as opposed to being rewarded for screwing the general majority over.

Sorry to distract from the main OP question and discussion.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Watch the first episode of Benefits Britain 1949 and you'll see - Form your own opinion of course.

Mine is that its any excuse not to work and receive benefits money from the state. Totally disgusting, that money should be diverted to those who are genuinely in need of it, i.e. wounded soldiers, people with severe disabilities and those who have temporary fallen on hard times.

When I was a student, several of the people I worked with (in retail) had been given new Mondeo's etc because one of their parents wasn't mobile, so they were given the car to drive them around. I just find that shocking.

There was a post in the last few pages about the need to combat extreme greed and wealth and to somehow get people to focus on doing "good" as opposed to being rewarded for screwing the general majority over.

Sorry to distract from the main OP question and discussion.
Your point is entirely taken. I mean it. What I will continue to argue is that this is not rampant. Because of the frustration at the unfairness of this,- everyone will 'know someone' or their friend 'knows someone' who is getting an unfair advantage!

It is exactly the same as some of the posts here on the state of the UK! Some would have it that the thing is a dysfunctional sewer by the way they post! They could argue that others see it as a paradise.

NEITHER is true. That's all I'm saying. AND I will continue to say that the the worst wastage of money is coming from the bloody top!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry yourself too much, I would hate to think you are losing sleep
I can report back that my sleeping patterns have not changed recently, so fear not.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:53 pm
Banned

Thank goodness for that.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

But you are happy for someone to say if you are 50 forget about getting a job? It took my wife best part of 2 months to find the job she has, probably the longest ever in her life but hardly disastrous.

Who said if your 50 years old forget about getting a Job ???
I did not!

I said your chances of getting or being offered a job is very unlikely !
Your wife may have got a job and is very very Fortunate out of 1000's of people!

These are FACTS !
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Who said if your 50 years old forget about getting a Job ???
I did not!

I said your chances of getting or being offered a job is very unlikely !
Your wife may have got a job and is very very Fortunate out of 1000's of people!

These are FACTS !
That's nothing new though, even back in 1993 when my dad was made redundant at 50, it took him many months to find a new job. He was effectively told (but not explicitly) a few times that they'd love to hire him but he was too old. He found one eventually but it took a while.

I'm sure it's only got worse now, as the population has grown and unemployment has risen in the 20 years since.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's nothing new though, even back in 1993 when my dad was made redundant at 50, it took him many months to find a new job. He was effectively told (but not explicitly) a few times that they'd love to hire him but he was too old. He found one eventually but it took a while.

I'm sure it's only got worse now, as the population has grown and unemployment has risen in the 20 years since.
Unemployment was over 10% 20 years ago... now it's 7.8%.

Ageism is a real problem in the labour market, but in terms of unemployment, it's the under 25's that are faring worst.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Try and get that through to Chris 955 he gets the impression you can just walk from one job to another no problem, do not know what planet he is living on?

looking for work today

1: Age is against you!
2: Over Qualified is against you!

My friend went to University and had to go to an interview by JCP there and then, they gave him the job at 48 years of age and asked him to bring in his CV the following day, he brought it in and they stated Hmmmm .....

he asked what was the matter?
They replied if we saw your CV first of all you would not have got the job!
he replied why?
They replied he was over qualified !

Last edited by cliff1961; Aug 29th 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.