Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Unemployment was over 10% 20 years ago... now it's 7.8%.

Ageism is a real problem in the labour market, but in terms of unemployment, it's the under 25's that are faring worst.
OK, I was 14 in 1993, so I was making an uneducated guess on unemplyment growing.

The ageism was apparent to my dad, though.

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Try and get that through to Chris 955 he gets the impression you can just walk from one job to another no problem, do not know what planet he is living on?

looking for work today

1: Age is against you!
2: Over Qualified is against you!

My friend went to University and had to go to an interview by JCP there and then, they gave him the job at 48 years of age and asked him to bring in his CV the following day, he brought it in and they stated Hmmmm .....

he asked what was the matter?
They replied if we saw your CV first of all you would not have got the job!
he replied why?
They replied he was over qualified !
I suppose it depends when and where you have applied because (like the job I am in now, albeit in the USA) being in the right place at the right time can negate all the factors stacked against you.

It took a fair few ignored applications and 'thanks but no thanks' interviews before I got this one though. I doubt the job market is brilliant anywhere in the world right now, not just the US/UK.

That being said, one of the many reasons I have decided to put my dream of returning 'home' on hold for now is that, even at 34, I don't relish the prospect of starting from scratch in the UK job market, now that the civil service has cut positions and it's not likely I'd be reinstated at my old grade, let alone get in at Admin Assistant and start all over.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

London and the Home Counties ? A different planet ! Come to my patch and you can buy a place to live for £20.000 !
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
London and the Home Counties ? A different planet ! Come to my patch and you can buy a place to live for £20.000 !
Are you still trying to sell that shed in your back garden? Have you tried Gumtree?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

What does your £20K get you? My sister bought a small 2 bedroom end terrace recently back home in NI (greater Belfast area) an it cost her almost £80K!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

That is the price for a modernised studio apartment with seaviews.. £80,000 here on Bute would get you a big place. But Bute is a backwater with no employment - and no riots.

Last edited by scot47; Aug 29th 2013 at 4:55 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

London and Home counties you will be paying a minimum of £300,000.00
2 bedroom flat in central London in multi story building 15 floors high is £350,000.00 no front or back garden.

I remember being there when my Grand parents lived there 40 years ago
and found flats in that buiding up for sale 5 months ago at that price.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:53 pm
I have a comma problem

That is the price for a modernised studio apartment with seviews.. £80,000 here on Bute would get you a big place. But Bute is a backwater with no employment - and no riots.
No riots is always nice. No employment is not so nice, though.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
What does your £20K get you? My sister bought a small 2 bedroom end terrace recently back home in NI (greater Belfast area) an it cost her almost £80K!
In some parts of the UK, you could get a fixer-upper terraced or flat in a slightly dodgy area for less than £30k. If you can access UK television programs, try to catch "Homes Under the Hammer", as they sometimes feature properties like that. They usually require a fair bit of work, often structural not just cosmetic. But it's possible. Some of the Scottish islands really need people to move in because the pattern of movement is generally in the opposite direction. Not sure if Bute is one, but it is a nice place, within striking distance of Glasgow (ferry, train).

Check out this, for £20k.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 4:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dunroving
In some parts of the UK, you could get a fixer-upper terraced or flat in a slightly dodgy area for less than £30k. If you can access UK television programs, try to catch "Homes Under the Hammer", as they sometimes feature properties like that. They usually require a fair bit of work, often structural not just cosmetic. But it's possible. Some of the Scottish islands really need people to move in because the pattern of movement is generally in the opposite direction. Not sure if Bute is one, but it is a nice place, within striking distance of Glasgow (ferry, train).

Check out this, for £20k.
Doesn't look too bad that, actually.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

as is this one

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-40064584.html
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am not sure that I would want to live in an apartment block in Birkenhead !
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Try and get that through to Chris 955 he gets the impression you can just walk from one job to another no problem, do not know what planet he is living on?

looking for work today

1: Age is against you!
2: Over Qualified is against you!

My friend went to University and had to go to an interview by JCP there and then, they gave him the job at 48 years of age and asked him to bring in his CV the following day, he brought it in and they stated Hmmmm .....

he asked what was the matter?
They replied if we saw your CV first of all you would not have got the job!
he replied why?
They replied he was over qualified !
Can you show where I ever said anything remotely like you state in the first line of your post?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Its 6-7 times the average salary locally to by the average local house... so no houses are not affordable

Prices need to fall by 50% to be affordable in relation to the normal 3 times salary. Only then will the UK recover.

"Average price of a home is now £250,000… that’s NINE times the typical salary

Homebuyers must earn at least £62,000 to afford the typical asking price
Average asking price is nine times the average UK salary of £26,500
New figures from Rightmove show 2.1 per cent month-on-month rise
Strongest start to the year since 2004 in terms of asking prices
The north saw the strongest monthly increase pushing prices to £152,689
London prices past £500k - more than twice price of homes outside capital
Yorkshire and Humberside and East Midlands only regions where prices were lower this month compared with a year ago

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2dU4ncYQf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"

Originally Posted by davros1984
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you.

Whilst it is somewhat subjective, 150K GBP is not unaffordable, that is ridiculously low for a house in this day and age. I also accept that we live in a day that not everyone can afford to buy a house - although the general majority should be able to.

You just have to go on to rightmove and there are so many towns and cities in the UK where you can easily buy property within a short commute that are 150K GBP or less (and yes - you even have public transport options!!).

Yes, 150K wouldnt happen in London, but the average salary in London is higher than the rest of the UK. In my field of work, the average job is at least 20K GBP per year better paid. Based on that, I make the figure 250K (5 times the salary, with the extra 20K added in) for London. Again you can go onto right move and there are 3-bed houses in the city that I can buy for that amount.

If necesssary I can post a whole serious of links for 150K houses in and around: Bristol, Leeds, Birmingham, Exeter, Swindon, Bath, Southampton, Staffordshire. Notthngham, Derby - I could go on.

The same applies for 200-250K in the South East pocket of the UK. Fleet, Basingstoke, Other pockets in Hampshire all have good housing with good commuter links into London. No doubt there are cheaper properties north, east and south of London also.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=martinw01908;10878418]Its 6-7 times the average salary locally to by the average local house... so no houses are not affordable

Prices need to fall by 50% to be affordable in relation to the normal 3 times salary. Only then will the UK recover.

"Average price of a home is now £250,000… that’s NINE times the typical salary

What Is the Average Mortgage in the UK?
Answer

The average UK mortgage is £112,000 for a new house purchase with the average income of new mortgage holders being £40,000 per annum. The average deposit paid on a new house is 25% of the mortgage value of the house and this is £37,000 and one incurs a 14.6% average interest payment as the proportion of income.

Looking at the maths the average new UK mortgage is 2.8 times the mortgage holders income.

When my wife and I brought our first home in the late 1980's we had to put down a 25% deposit, so to me 25 years later there has been no change.

I live in a house valued a 25% higher than the noted UK average a now have a mortgage to income ratio of 1:1. At 21 years I made UK average wage, but would not every consider a £250K house in today's money. We actually purchased our first home( 2 bed flat) which today would cost us £70-80K where we currently live. Not everyone in the UK has to buy their first home for £250K!

Hudd
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
As I've pointed out before on this thread, this isn't a particularly useful way of looking at it because it doesn't take account of mortgage interest rates. I was paying over 15% in the early '80's; now rates are under 3% or so. A better measure is house prices to rents, because (i) you can't take out a mortgage to pay your rent, and (ii) everyone has to live somewhere. I don't doubt that UK property is overvalued, but I think you're looking at the wrong measure to judge by how much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.