Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by zansuffolk
The media have had a field day on our current economic situation - things are not bad, in fact there has been a significant turnaround in the property market and the retailers have had a bumper summer due to the great weather. I have not noticed any difference - just people are being a little more careful with their money.... Living in Suffolk - things are just the same as they have been for decades!!
That's a wicked lie!!

I have it on good authority that the UK is so fouled up that poo even grows on trees.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't get all the doom and gloom in this thread. sure there are some pretty stupid policies in the UK, I.e cutting the defence budget, enormous welfare spending, too much EU interference and too much immigration.

but.... The UK is an amazing country. It has a pleathor of affordable housing, it has so many job opportunities if you're willing to apply yourself, things are pretty damn cheap and there is so much choice.

In comparison, the picture in New Zealand is bleak, where only the super rich have any chance of living a relatively normal life.

Stop the whining and look at global affordability indexes and you'll see the UK ain't that bad.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
I really don't get all the doom and gloom in this thread. sure there are some pretty stupid policies in the UK, I.e cutting the defence budget, enormous welfare spending, too much EU interference and too much immigration.

but.... The UK is an amazing country. It has a pleathor of affordable housing, it has so many job opportunities if you're willing to apply yourself, things are pretty damn cheap and there is so much choice.

In comparison, the picture in New Zealand is bleak, where only the super rich have any chance of living a relatively normal life.

Stop the whining and look at global affordability indexes and you'll see the UK ain't that bad.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I did.

Quote from attached link.

Housing affordability has also been severely unaffordable in United Kingdom major markets over the period covered.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...ability-survey
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I did.

Quote from attached link.

Housing affordability has also been severely unaffordable in United Kingdom major markets over the period covered.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...ability-survey
that article shows that the UK is bang in the middle. houses that are only 4-5 times the average salary seems like a dream compared to NZ. So as I said it really isn't that bad.

People in the UK do not have enough self discipline. they spend too much if their income on pointless crap, I.e changing their car every 3 years, regularly redecorating their houses. regular clothes/accessories shopping. All of those are extreme luxuries to somewhere like NZ where people only change their car because they have to, hence lots of old bangers on the road.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

that article shows that the UK is bang in the middle. houses that are only 4-5 times the average salary seems like a dream compared to NZ. So as I said it really isn't that bad.

People in the UK do not have enough self discipline. they spend too much if their income on pointless crap, I.e changing their car every 3 years, regularly redecorating their houses. regular clothes/accessories shopping. All of those are extreme luxuries to somewhere like NZ where people only change their car because they have to, hence lots of old bangers on the road.
Yes, but the question is about the UK. Not NZ, or OZ or the USA. Therefore the quote still stands.

and your quote that there is a plethora of affordable housing in the UK is wrong.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Yes, but the question is about the UK. Not NZ, or OZ or the USA. Therefore the quote still stands.

and your quote that there is a plethora of affordable housing in the UK is wrong.
Does anyone walk ahead of you tolling a bell by any chance?

(Maybe not, downsizing being what it is, there is probably not the manpower to walk ahead of three of you....)

Your post is 666. How appropriate.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:25 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, same in Australia where housing costs are totally out of control. House prices in lots of areas here seem really quite affordable and as you say right in the middle according to that article.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Davros, my house gets decorated every twenty years, whether it needs it or not!
My first car lasted 14 years. And I am about to revive an old handbag since they are now rare vintage items on eBay.
Sincerely,
The bag lady
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:38 pm
Banned

The house we bought here, according to the previous owners family, hadnt been decorated since just after the war
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
Absolutely, same in Australia where housing costs are totally out of control. House prices in lots of areas here seem really quite affordable and as you say right in the middle according to that article.
Thanks for reading the link. However, being 'right in the middle' is subjective and does not mean that UK housing is affordable when looked at in an overall context for those wishing to buy in the UK. Earnings have not matched house price rises, housing supply has not matched demand and the average age of the first time buyer has increased.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:01 pm
Banned

All that applies to Australia and no doubt most other markets. I didnt read the article I was just quoting what Davros1984 had said.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
All that applies to Australia and no doubt most other markets. I didnt read the article I was just quoting what Davros1984 had said.
And therein lies the problem of many who post on this thread and elsewhere. They just hear what they want to hear. No research. Taking what people say for granted because they don't want their dream bubble to burst. Applauding posts on mere hearsay without checking if what is written is true. Sometimes it's like a miniature version of those awfully emigration programmes only in reverse.

BTW. The USA housing market has had a serious correction. Not that that should concern anyone who's interest is in returning to the UK and what the housing market is like in the UK. I mention it only in response to your first sentence.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked and the OP hasn't posted in almost 600 posts on this thread. I think he probably got his answer a long time ago. (Not that his absence should stop us continuing to argue the toss, er, I meant "debate the question", of course).
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is what drives the economy of much of the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.