Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
According to those figures, for the quarter Apr-Jun 2013, unemployment was down 4,000 making 2,510,000 people still unemployed. I don't think that figure is astonishing in a good way, rather it's really quite a bleak picture. In addition there are 8,990,000 people economically inactive - many of those will be people who have stopped bothering to look for work after being unemployed for so long.
In that quarter, and based on the last few years figures, it is likely that 100 to 150 thousand people net entered the UK. But unemployment, far from rising by 100 to 150 thousand as one would expect, actually went down.

The link I gave you also showed that the number of economically inactive had declined by 10, 000 in that quarter, and by over 100,000 year on year. In calendar year 2012, the total number of economically inactive declined by 320,000.

And you think that is a "bleak picture". Quite astonishing.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
In that quarter, and based on the last few years figures, it is likely that 100 to 150 thousand people net entered the UK. But unemployment, far from rising by 100 to 150 thousand as one would expect, actually went down.

The link I gave you also showed that the number of economically inactive had declined by 10, 000 in that quarter, and by over 100,000 year on year. In calendar year 2012, the total number of economically inactive declined by 320,000.

In the last census (2011), the UK population of 16-64 yr olds was 41,700,000. Accounting for growth in population, yes I do I think 25% of that population (unemployed + economically inactive) not working is a bleak picture. Of course there will be some valid reasons for a certain amount within the inactive figure, however over all this is a very large amount of the so-called "working age" population to be not working.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:47 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes not quite as bleak when you look into it
As I have said not everyone in the country or indeed any country is doing OK, it would be a miracle if it where the case but certainly everyone we know is still doing just fine.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

But in 2007 when everyone was on the happy juice, the ratio of economically inactive was not much lower.

In fact, the Labour Force Survey in 2007 said

"The inactivity rate for all persons remains relatively constant at around 21.2 per cent, with an increase for men (15.3 per cent to 16.5 per cent) and a decrease for women (28.2 per cent to 26.3 per cent), between March 1997 and July 2007.

Since then the population has risen by about two and a half or three million people, about 6 or 7 percent of the age group.

In the economic activity numbers there are about 2.4 million students, and about the same number of "stay at home" parents. Add in three quarters of a million early retirees. Now there might be an argument as to how many of the 2 million odd long term sick are really able to work, but we really are down to discussing angels on the head of a pin.

To create jobs at this rate is an absolutely astonishing performance. It appears to me that you are not even a "glass half empty" type, but a "hole in the bottom of the glass" person.

If that is what floats your boat, go ahead. But the answer to the OPs on the facts is a resounding "No".

Last edited by bigglesworth; Aug 22nd 2013 at 3:59 pm. Reason: Ipad
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes not quite as bleak when you look into it
As I have said not everyone in the country or indeed any country is doing OK, it would be a miracle if it where the case but certainly everyone we know is still doing just fine.
Yes, 'bleak' stood out for me

People I know there are doing fine, even the new graduates have got jobs. Our contemporaries seem to be moving into a comfortable retirement stage. Everyone seems to be on holiday most of the time in fact Our own families are far from rich but live comfortably with the good healthcare provision and benefits like fuel allowance, free bus pass and free TV licence.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:29 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

People I know there are doing fine, even the new graduates have got jobs. .
I think that varies. My nephew from one sister graduated a couple of years back, knew what he wanted to do, what he needed to do to get there, went and did the graft, and is now living exactly the life he planned. Not afraid of a bit of hard work, makes a bit of his own luck, and he's one of those that will always land on his feet.

My 2 nieces from another sister did arty farty airy fairy "degrees" and have ended up as shop assistants because there aren't any degree-required jobs in their chosen fields. "It's not their fault though.....times are tough"...... Well, maybe it's not all their fault.....their parents have to take some blame for not giving them a slap of reality instead of going to uni and running up bills for 4 years while living the life of Reilly and going to 20 minutes of lectures a week. And the Universities have to take some blame for trying to turn flower arranging and window dressing into degrees! Oops sorry, second rant of the day and its not even lunchtime
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:48 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, 'bleak' stood out for me

People I know there are doing fine, even the new graduates have got jobs. Our contemporaries seem to be moving into a comfortable retirement stage. Everyone seems to be on holiday most of the time in fact Our own families are far from rich but live comfortably with the good healthcare provision and benefits like fuel allowance, free bus pass and free TV licence.
This seems appropriate
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I think that varies. My nephew from one sister graduated a couple of years back, knew what he wanted to do, what he needed to do to get there, went and did the graft, and is now living exactly the life he planned. Not afraid of a bit of hard work, makes a bit of his own luck, and he's one of those that will always land on his feet.

My 2 nieces from another sister did arty farty airy fairy "degrees" and have ended up as shop assistants because there aren't any degree-required jobs in their chosen fields. "It's not their fault though.....times are tough"...... Well, maybe it's not all their fault.....their parents have to take some blame for not giving them a slap of reality instead of going to uni and running up bills for 4 years while living the life of Reilly and going to 20 minutes of lectures a week. And the Universities have to take some blame for trying to turn flower arranging and window dressing into degrees! Oops sorry, second rant of the day and its not even lunchtime
Actually, flower arranging and window dressing seem quite useful. Now "media studies" is another thing entirely (apologies to anyone on BE who took media studies).
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

You never know - those skills might come good Seriously, they could get openings through the retail work, so all is not lost.
Originally Posted by chris955
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
Actually, flower arranging and window dressing seem quite useful. Now "media studies" is another thing entirely (apologies to anyone on BE who took media studies).
My daughter is thinking of doing that - although I'm wondering if it's a bit soft myself.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

But in 2007 when everyone was on the happy juice, the ratio of economically inactive was not much lower.
The unemployment rate in this quarter of 2007 was 5.4% - a difference of over 800,000 people compared to now. Reducing unemployment by 4,000 in a month will take a very long time to get people into work.
To create jobs at this rate is an absolutely astonishing performance. It appears to me that you are not even a "glass half empty" type, but a "hole in the bottom of the glass" person.
If you read post 630, you'll see that I think the economy will eventually improve.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is thinking of doing that - although I'm wondering if it's a bit soft myself.
I'd recommend anyone considering going to university to ask their program leader what is the employment record of their graduates and what sort of jobs they go into. The idea of 4 more years of education simply to broaden the mind (or for the social development reasons) is rather tenuous in the current economic climate. Pretty expensive party.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

The idea of 4 more years of education simply to broaden the mind (or for the social development reasons) is rather tenuous in the current economic climate. Pretty expensive party.
So you think the current economic climate will last for at least 4 more years then? It really doesn't look good, does it?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd recommend anyone considering going to university to ask their program leader what is the employment record of their graduates and what sort of jobs they go into. The idea of 4 more years of education simply to broaden the mind (or for the social development reasons) is rather tenuous in the current economic climate. Pretty expensive party.
Yes, especially as we'd be paying overseas rates. Food for thought.

Then again, science is not an easy career path.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:10 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

well there the is police service, CGHQ even MI5 - I kid you not, in the link below MI5 has openings. Earn a degree in flower arranging & you can work for the secret service. If you are multilingual consider MI6

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers/current-jobs.aspx

MI5 offers a range of training, development and career opportunities. Find out more about what it's like to work for MI5, what we do and what we can offer you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.