Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

This is a very interesting debate with lots of well reasoned opinions being put forward. In terms of the economy, I do happen to side with the view that the UK is potentially a basket case economy. Currently we have the coalition government trying to buy/rig the next election by underwriting the housing market with tax payers money. I'm talking about the Help to buy scheme and the funding for lending scheme, both designed to prop up the ponzi scheme which is the UK housing market. It will cause no end of a disaster when it ends and/or interest rates return to normal. The MP's have learnt nothing from 2007 and they are all in it up to their necks with 2 or more houses each. This is not free market tories, this is market manipulation on a Gordon Brown scale. Maggie Thatcher would never have done this.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:32 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
This is a very interesting debate with lots of well reasoned opinions being put forward. In terms of the economy, I do happen to side with the view that the UK is potentially a basket case economy. Currently we have the coalition government trying to buy/rig the next election by underwriting the housing market with tax payers money. I'm talking about the Help to buy scheme and the funding for lending scheme, both designed to prop up the ponzi scheme which is the UK housing market. It will cause no end of a disaster when it ends and/or interest rates return to normal. The MP's have learnt nothing from 2007 and they are all in it up to their necks with 2 or more houses each. This is not free market tories, this is market manipulation on a Gordon Brown scale. Maggie Thatcher would never have done this.
I agree totally with all that but not with your generous speculation abut Thatcher. Remember it was she who deregulated the banks in London and caused the "Big Bang". I don't think she would have any problem in doing what you say she would never do.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana.......After reading through the last dozen pages to catch up I couldnt agree with you more. I almost wanted to pull my hair out

Someone mentioned why read here if you are in the UK. Oh how I wish we someone had given this forum to me to read before I left the UK I would have really been informed on things I had never thought of. You get caught up in all the excitement and forget the longterm consequences of leaving.

The topic is the Uk that bad.....I have many friends and relatives in the UK and they all give me an earful. Good and bad from healthcare to the weather. The biggest problem they have with the NHS is waiting lists for operations sometimes it can take years. Another one people getting money when they dont deserve it while others and this is older people being turned down for help. PC gone mad. Dog poop bad but not as bad as in some places. I can give you an update next week after being on Skype with my relatives.

As for people being worse than years ago I dont know they do seem much more selfish. I saw greed a few days ago. I went to do my local weekly shop. Stop and Shop in the area was closing down. I had heard about it but didnt realize they were closing so soon. The day I went in it was packed no more carts left I was lucky to get mine. People had carts so full of food they could not use in months but still put more in the cart. People stood at the meat dept. and just loaded up with carts of meat not caring that they left none for the next person. I had to laugh all the potato chips were gone. All the bread was gone the wine they were taking in cart loads. Bacon all gone and the lines were 20 deep. The woman in front of me spent over $800 no thought for the poor cashiers who would be out of work in a few days no saying sorry to them just big grins on their faces. The woman behind me in line sent her teenagers back out and told them to pick up anything they thought they could use. She already had two carts full. In fact people who were in line at 7am complained that the workers got to go in first to shop. One of the men collection carts for those fighting over them was waiting for mine , he told me that some of the earliest shoppers were convience store owners spending $2,000 at a time and coming back for more. So I think greed is worldwide. Makes you realize what it would be like in a real disaster. Everybody for yourself and if you think differently you will be sadly mistaken.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I agree totally with all that but not with your generous speculation abut Thatcher. Remember it was she who deregulated the banks in London and caused the "Big Bang". I don't think she would have any problem in doing what you say she would never do.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Pollyana.......After reading through the last dozen pages to catch up I couldnt agree with you more. I almost wanted to pull my hair out

Someone mentioned why read here if you are in the UK. Oh how I wish we someone had given this forum to me to read before I left the UK I would have really been informed on things I had never thought of. You get caught up in all the excitement and forget the longterm consequences of leaving.

The topic is the Uk that bad.....I have many friends and relatives in the UK and they all give me an earful. Good and bad from healthcare to the weather. The biggest problem they have with the NHS is waiting lists for operations sometimes it can take years. Another one people getting money when they dont deserve it while others and this is older people being turned down for help. PC gone mad. Dog poop bad but not as bad as in some places. I can give you an update next week after being on Skype with my relatives.

As for people being worse than years ago I dont know they do seem much more selfish. I saw greed a few days ago. I went to do my local weekly shop. Stop and Shop in the area was closing down. I had heard about it but didnt realize they were closing so soon. The day I went in it was packed no more carts left I was lucky to get mine. People had carts so full of food they could not use in months but still put more in the cart. People stood at the meat dept. and just loaded up with carts of meat not caring that they left none for the next person. I had to laugh all the potato chips were gone. All the bread was gone the wine they were taking in cart loads. Bacon all gone and the lines were 20 deep. The woman in front of me spent over $800 no thought for the poor cashiers who would be out of work in a few days no saying sorry to them just big grins on their faces. The woman behind me in line sent her teenagers back out and told them to pick up anything they thought they could use. She already had two carts full. In fact people who were in line at 7am complained that the workers got to go in first to shop. One of the men collection carts for those fighting over them was waiting for mine , he told me that some of the earliest shoppers were convience store owners spending $2,000 at a time and coming back for more. So I think greed is worldwide. Makes you realize what it would be like in a real disaster. Everybody for yourself and if you think differently you will be sadly mistaken.
Hell's testicles!! The previous 32 pages are a walk in the park compared to this! 'Almost' didn't come into it. I felt it my bounden duty to pull my hair out, strip myself naked and beat myself senseless!

Mine Gott! We're all doomed, D-O-O-O-M-M-M-M-E-D-D-D I tell yer'.

I must plan ahead: a Kevlar vest/crash helmet/incontinence knickers/metal mesh gloves/5 iron/numb chuckers

................and that's just to get the milk and bread........................
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:31 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Agreed.

Hell's testicles!! The previous 32 pages are a walk in the park compared to this! 'Almost' didn't come into it. I felt it my bounden duty to pull my hair out, strip myself naked and beat myself senseless!

Mine Gott! We're all doomed, D-O-O-O-M-M-M-M-E-D-D-D I tell yer'.

I must plan ahead: a Kevlar vest/crash helmet/incontinence knickers/metal mesh gloves/5 iron/numb chuckers

................and that's just to get the milk and bread........................
What is the relevance of this to the post of mine you have quoted?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, Emporer agreed with what you said and then went on to the next post.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Nothing, Emporer agreed with what you said and then went on to the next post.
That's how I read it as well.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:41 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
Yes, exactly what they did/are doing in Australia. Successive Governments pushing up house prices and giving hand outs to enable people to then buy the over inflated properties thus keeping the prices high. This is why we are seeing ownership rates dropping and renting on the rise, people just cant afford to buy. We were lucky that we got in almost literally the day before house prices started going sky high and I dont mind saying we made a killing but the thought of trying to get on the first rung of the ladder nowadays is scary.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

What is the relevance of this to the post of mine you have quoted?
..............................you are the font of all knowledge (you think, anyway), and you do not understand something as elementary as the multiquote system?

I agreed with you. Look again.
Then have the good grace to apologise.

EDIT: Yes I thought so. You've sussed it haven't you?

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Aug 12th 2013 at 8:11 am. Reason: Dealing with density.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
..............................you are the font of all knowledge (you think, anyway), and you do not understand something as elementary as the multiquote system?

I agreed with you. Look again.
Then have the good grace to apologise.

EDIT: Yes I thought so. You've sussed it haven't you?
If you expect good grace from others, you should learn to express it yourself. It wasn't the multiquote system that confused me, but the bizarre, random points you made in your usual unintelligible style. Keep it up.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

If you expect good grace from others, you should learn to express it yourself. It wasn't the multiquote system that confused me, but the bizarre, random points you made in your usual unintelligible style. Keep it up.
Unintelligible? (a euphemism I've no doubt!), not to a couple of others, but I'll grant they can cope with 'unintelligible' where as you have a bit of a struggle.
I tell you what Zender, you do get worked up over this 'confusion' you suffer from, don't you?

(......But of course you weren't confused at all. You went off half cocked and made a simple error. You are you, not your avatar you need to remember that. You can be a wally just like the rest of us, and you do it so well..)
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can we please keep the personal insults OUT of the thread,

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:38 pm
Banned

To be fair it was totally understandable, the OP replied to 2 seperate posts and they were clearly replied to seperately. I am at a loss to see why you couldnt see it yourself.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can we please keep the personal insults OUT of the thread,

Thanks
I put up a post. I used the multiquote system. This was fully understood by two other posters; as it should have been, because it was quite simple to understand. Another poster then refers to my posts as unintelligible, which is absurd. If that were the case I would get no responses negative or positive from anyone, because the/my post would be indecipherable.

This of course has little to do with unintelligible, it has everything to do with not agreeing with this poster, or him with me. The irony being that I copped this nonsense when I was agreeing with him in this instance!

It was a simple error on his part which was sidestepped with a silly insult. I will respond in the same way if this occurs again. It is up to you as moderators what action you then take.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yozzernz
My family back in the UK often say how the economic situation over there is awful and there are no jobs, is the situation over there really that bleak? They also say how there's lots of unrest due to the immigration policy of this government. We really want to go home but would hate to take our kids back to a place where their prospects are poor to non existent and there's lots of unrest. My dad's a real doom and gloom merchant and I wonder if he's making things out to be worse than they really are

Any thoughts?
I think your Dad is looking at the worst of it. We can all do that no matter where we live. My family always like to moan when I speak to them but they seem to have a pretty good life in fact its a very good life. They constantly go on holidays abroad and then when home make visits to London and to either the museums or theatre. They know how to find cheap weekend tickets. Do your own research and then go for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.