Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If the OP is still reading, I am sure that he, like me, has now lost the will to live.........

How true
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is still reading, I am sure that he, like me, has now lost the will to live.........

Yes I said this a few pages ago and it seems even more pertinent now.
Millions, probably the majority are happy with their lives in the UK. Everyone we personally know is doing just fine. If its suits some to want to shoot down anything positive that is their issue not mine.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:33 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
For those considering returning, this site gives information on crimes in an area, and details of police force - http://www.police.uk/
I just checked our village again, it only shows up to June and the grand total for that month is 1 crime, yes 1 for the whole month. I posted a similar stat some time ago and Bud if I recall countered by saying that there were apparently 2 or 3 'dangerous ' streets in our village which is interesting as there is barely 3 streets in the whole village. No evidence of this ghetto was ever forthcoming
Of course it isnt representative of the whole country, there are some places with 1000's a month and others with none.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
For those with a high income, UKANIA is really nice. For those at the bottom of the heap, life is grim.
Far better than for those at the bottom of the heap in the US and many other countries.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Far better than for those at the bottom of the heap in the US and many other countries.
Yes exactly right, I remember way back in '96 when we were in Florida seeing blokes holding signs saying 'Will work for food'. It was a real eye opener.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Not really, it's meant to draw attention to the fact that you see yourself as better than those less fortunate than yourself. Not a good trait IMHO. But, you are what you are.
Where did I say that

How is saying that I am financially OK taken to mean that I see myself as better than anyone else

Don't try twisting my words because you are coming unstuck

Last edited by Grayling; Aug 10th 2013 at 9:14 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:52 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes exactly right, I remember way back in '96 when we were in Florida seeing blokes holding signs saying 'Will work for food'. It was a real eye opener.
Don't most people work for food?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
No. Most people work to live. When someone has to make sheer survival-thus food,-the only priority, then things are utterly desperate. In a rich country that is obscene......as it would be in Canada/UK/Australia etc...

But you knew that didn't you?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

It's a terrible thing when a moderator loses the will to live.

(The OP is resting in seclusion in the psychiatric wing of a nursing home in NZ).
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
No. Most people work to live. When someone has to make sheer survival-thus food,-the only priority, then things are utterly desperate. In a rich country that is obscene......as it would be in Canada/UK/Australia etc...

But you knew that didn't you?
US normality begins to cloud our previous recollections of life over time.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Caruthers
US normality begins to cloud our previous recollections of life over time.
..........so easily done!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
It's a terrible thing when a moderator loses the will to live.
I'm posting as me, not as. Mod if I posted that with my Mods hat on people would be cheering in the streets!!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice

Originally Posted by Linotype
Just as Jimmy Goldsmith predicated on the Charlie Rose Show in 1994.
Barn door . . . Horse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQrz...e_gdata_player
one of the best politics related youtube links I've seen in years, thanks for posting it
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article - UK wages decline among worst in Europe
Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mallory
No, certainly not. Most people work to pay their rent or mortgage, fuel for their car, holidays, groceries, luxuries etc etc. These people were willing to work literally for food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.