Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by scot47
For those with a high income, UKANIA is really nice. For those at the bottom of the heap, life is grim.
Or there are the tens of millions in the middle of course of which I am one who find the UK really nice. As has been pointed out already what you say describes literally anywhere in the world.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:22 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I just can't see how this in any way has a bearing on the assessment of good or bad for the average punter on here; that JK Rowling or Paul McCartney or whomever with truckloads lives in the UK or better still Edinburgh.

One of the biggest drawbacks for many on here is the sheer - high - cost of living in the UK.

JK Rowling's husband is a GP in Edinburgh. Should he have jacked it in to live off her capital overseas? True love, ambition and personal pride!

Paul McCartney is in the acute minority as the bulk of showbizz lives elsewhere if only to save whatever taxes they possibly can and maybe to also be where the 'action' is such as in LA.

Mr Tetrapak (Rausing) lives in Wadhurst Sussex as a non-dom (claiming Sweden as his domicile) for tax reasons. The UK functions nicely as a tax haven for the likes of him. Can WE look at the UK in the same light?

Let's at least weigh the UK as it appears for the average potential returnee BE punter and not for somebody for whom the UK just happens to offer a particular extraneous attraction, for all we know.

We might as well wax lyrical about the merits of Marbella or Monte Carlo too - oh you don't speak fluent Spanish or have a spare million or five, well!!

Even Premiership footballers and BBC top-pay personalities have tax avoidance vehicles to allow them to have their cake and eat it so that they don't have to commute from Amsterdam or wherever, which many probably would in some fashion if they didn't have them.
It doesnt have any bearing at all on the lives of the average punter, that wasnt my point. I was pointing out that 'famous' people from all over the world flock to the UK, people that could live anywhere. I dont mean people from the UK I mean furreners.
One of the biggest drawcards for us was that the cost of living here isnt actually that high anymore, we are finding it very affordable, not something we would have said 10 or 15 years ago especially in relation to Australia.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Perhaps we need to change the title of the thread.

Is the situation in the UK really that bad and please don’t provide me with links where I have to use critical thinking or self determination as to whether they will be useful or not. No factual information please, gossip, hearsay and tittle tattle will suffice.

So with that in mind……….

No it’s not that bad. Most places are just like Greendale, you know, the village where Postman Pat lives and where Mrs Goggins has everything you could ever need right there in her little store. The most serious crime is a bit of apple scrumping by the Just William type children living at #56, but that’s more impish devilment than malicious. Even so PC Selby is on top of it and will quickly nip any wrong doing in the bud with a stern, “ Hello, hello hello. What’s going on here then?” You’ll like PC Selby, he’s no Jack Reagan, he’s not even a Dixon of Dock Green, no, he’s more of a Constable Constable, you know, from the carry on films. The only time I’ve seen him angry, well not really angry, just a tad vexed, was when he lost his bicycle clips and his trousers got caught in the chain. Oh how we laughed. A bit naughty of us really.
No need to worry about dog poo either. All the dogs are fluffy and battery operated. The only time we’ve had a problem was when one over charged puppy chased the Duracell bunny across Granny Drydens allotment.

Just outside the village the village you’ll see sheep frolocking in the fields. NO WAIT. They have sheep in Australia don’t they? Scrub that last bit. Don’t want to put you off saying Australia has something Greendale has. Heaven forbid.

So there you have it, but don’t just take it from me, have a listen to that great poet laureate and philosopher of modern time Frank Gallagher…..

>
>
>
>
Disclaimer: I believe Postman Pat, despite his celebrity, status still lives in the UK and in no way am I infering that he is a tax exile in LA.

Have a nice day and remember. “Musn’t grumble.”
Now all you had to say is:

"When I can't impress everyone that I know better than they do, I shall spit my dummy and resort to childish sarcasm, so there!"

It would have saved a bit of time , and the side benefit is that you wouldn't need to go searching for a link!!!

The stupidity would have been as self evident as it is here without resorting to all the verbal diarrhea.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Now all you had to say is:

"When I can't impress everyone that I know better than they do, I shall spit my dummy and resort to childish sarcasm, so there!"

It would have saved a bit of time , and the side benefit is that you wouldn't need to go searching for a link!!!

The stupidity would have been as self evident as it is here without resorting to all the verbal diarrhea.
Lighten up.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Lighten up.
Still trolling
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Still trolling
Still in Australia?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
For those with a high income, UKANIA is really nice. For those at the bottom of the heap, life is grim.
'UKANIA'. A dead giveaway! Wrong of course. It presupposes two social strata only. There are multiple layers of people/income/content/discontent. It's called life.

............and one of my traced siblings has cut me dead 'for going to Australia'. Funny ol world innit?

I confess I'm a great analyser.

The thrust of my argument is that if you have choices and have shown yourself capable of successfully exercising choice, then things can be very different for you, because you have more things to weigh and compare often ad nauseum. If you are boxed in by circumstances, objectively assessed as either positive or negative, you can still ultimately feel more at ease.

Like NIKE says, if you know of nothing else, you simply have to get on and JUST DO IT or live it.
NO!!! If you are 'boxed in by circumstances' you can never feel 'more at ease' even ultimately. It is impossible to con the psyche. There have been some eloquent and quite poignant posts right here on BE on that very thing. It has caused enduring unhappiness for a good few people.

And pp; if you have shown yourself capable of successfully exercising choice/more things to weigh and compare..........I think it fair to say that those who return to the UK have done just that.
For anyone to think that they have not is a bloody insult.

Some will return to Aus (no problem with them..), but some will stay permanently in the UK. Oooooooo!! BIG problem there!
(Yet others never had any intention of staying permanently in either place).

It's bizarre! That is the crux of this discussion for now 30 pages.

....................and I detest marketing logo's being used as a model for life....

"Returning To The UK". HOW VERY VERY DARE YOU!!!

New post:

Coming from you......(you know the rest). Childish sarcasm might well be a last resort retort, but it is still much of the same.

I have to admit Bud, it's a bit of a giggle to have you give lessons on lightening up!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Still in Australia?
Yes....are you still trolling?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes....are you still trolling?
No mate, just wondering why you're still there. Serious question.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

No mate, just wondering why you're still there. Serious question.
Because I quite like it here and earn a lot of money for an easy job

When I return I will be even wealthier and not have to live in the sort of places that you seem to worry so much about
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Because I quite like it here and earn a lot of money for an easy job

When I return I will be even wealthier and not have to live in the sort of places that you seem to worry so much about
So it's not all bad then.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

So it's not all bad then.
It's where my grandchildren are.....it's not a patch on Britain though.

So when are you planning to return?....or is that a silly question?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Or there are the tens of millions in the middle of course of which I am one who find the UK really nice. As has been pointed out already what you say describes literally anywhere in the world.
Are you aware that in the UK 40% of the population don't have a pot to piss in. I mean really nothing meaningful to fall back on in terms of assets to subsist. ZILCH!

This may indeed be the case in general across this planet but elsewhere there are a multitude of places where there simply isn't the pressure to earn to just keep a roof over your head and eat.

This let alone to survive in old age because the relative cost of living is not as high and there are others around to help in terms of remittances and general support and those others do indeed respond as they don't in the UK because there they too mostly don't have a pot to piss in.

In the UK these hard-done-by folks mostly live on some sort of benefits to subsist, benefits which are unsustainable and are being paid contrary to the interests of the overall electorate and will be subject to further and steady cuts.

If I look at threads on here talking of UK social decline which is a major turn-off, the consensus seems to always be that it is deprivation due to the above that is the cause and the effect is anti-social or worse behaviour. We are looking to return aren't we and we are weighing issues that are likely to affect us personally if we aren't able to live in the sticks.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 10th 2013 at 1:51 pm. Reason: If I look at threads on here talking of UK social decline..
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Are you aware that in the UK 40% of the population don't have a pot to piss in. I mean really nothing meaningful to fall back on in terms of assets to subsist. ZILCH!
...and that is from an expat living in the Caribbean
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's where my grandchildren are.....it's not a patch on Britain though.

So when are you planning to return?....or is that a silly question?
Are your grandchildren coming back to the UK with you?

Not a silly question at all. I'm planning on six months in the UK six months in the US. Time frame? now that is a question.

BTW I'm glad you're returning with adequate financial means. That's good for you and your family.A lot of returnees are less fortunate and have to survive under more difficult circumstances and end up in areas that are not as affluent. Wouldn't you agree?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.