Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Are your grandchildren coming back to the UK with you?

Not a silly question at all. I'm planning on six months in the UK six months in the US. Time frame? now that is a question.

BTW I'm glad you're returning with adequate financial means. That's good for you and your family.A lot of returnees are less fortunate and have to survive under more difficult circumstances and end up in areas that are not as affluent. Wouldn't you agree?
I had adequate financial means before I left.....and, strangely, my family and friends are also pretty well off.....and they all live in the UK.

How do I know if my grandchildren will ever live on the UK? Surely that is up to them or their parents
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Are you aware that in the UK 40% of the population don't have a pot to piss in. I mean really nothing meaningful to fall back on in terms of assets to subsist. ZILCH!................
You really have got it bad haven't you?

Are you even remotely aware of how patronising that is to someone who has returned to the UK/lives there happily, whilst you are in St Lucia?

It IS utterly obsessive.

Domani.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I had adequate financial means before I left.....and, strangely, my family and friends are also pretty well off.....and they all live in the UK.

How do I know if my grandchildren will ever live on the UK? Surely that is up to them or their parents
I didn't ask if you knew, I just wondered if they were returning.

Yes, is much easier to live a better lifestyle when one is affluent. Not having to worry about where you live, how to pay the bills, how to put a meal on the table, how to find employment etc. I can understand now why the links I put up are of little relevance to yourself and your situation and that you find them mildly irritating. My advice is don't click on them, it's not compulsory.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

...and that is from an expat living in the Caribbean
You read my third paragraph? Opportunity is a real issue here but I can safely say that the bar is typically set far higher in high cost/standard of living countries. In the Caribbean, neighbourhoods help each other and there is always a way to put 'bread' on the table if you hustle.

Indeed it's still not necessarily good at all but one can subsist if one has good health. Poor health can bury you.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't ask if you knew, I just wondered if they were returning.

Yes, is much easier to live a better lifestyle when one is affluent. Not having to worry about where you live, how to pay the bills, how to put a meal on the table, how to find employment etc. I can understand now why the links I put up are of little relevance to yourself and your situation and that you find them mildly irritating. My advice is don't click on them, it's not compulsory.
I didn't realise that you were poor....that explains a lot.

Interestingly, my brother who lives in Oregon and used to live in St. Petersburg, is also returning to the Uk as he is worried about growing old in the US....perhaps you should put your energy into getting a better deal for the less well off in America
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
You really have got it bad haven't you?

Are you even remotely aware of how patronising that is to someone who has returned to the UK/lives there happily, whilst you are in St Lucia?

It IS utterly obsessive.

Domani.
What's this with St Lucia?

St Lucia may be a holiday destination but it is a poor country with approx 80% in poverty, way way down the per capita income level, being crunched further now it has no banana industry. Tourists naturally (sensibly) don't venture to the 'real' areas away from Rodney Bay which is not where we live BTW.

Somebody before chastised me for being in St Lucia - a rich Caribbean country Huh??? Give me a break!

We are here EXACTLY because we couldn't afford to live in the UK. Still can't really but we are going to give it a go next year for several years at least helped when my pension kicks in come 2016.

Oh, and just to clarify, the hoteliers are here because the wages are low and benefits lower and hotelier concessions high so the average St Lucian benefits very little.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 10th 2013 at 2:24 pm. Reason: Oh, and just to clarify, the hoteliers......
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise that you were poor....that explains a lot.
I sense you have a character flaw there. My financial situation is private, I've no need to try and impress, never have had.

Interestingly, my brother who lives in Oregon and used to live in St. Petersburg, is also returning to the Uk as he is worried about growing old in the US....perhaps you should put your energy into getting a better deal for the less well off in America
Funny you should say that, I actually work with those less fortunate than myself. Challenging yet rewarding. And yes, I too worry about growing old in the US.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

I sense you have a character flaw there.
is this meant to be ironic
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:17 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

For those considering returning, this site gives information on crimes in an area, and details of police force - http://www.police.uk/
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

What's this with St Lucia?

St Lucia may be a holiday destination but it is a poor country with approx 80% in poverty, way way down the per capita income level, being crunched further now it has no banana industry. Tourists naturally (sensibly) don't venture to the 'real' areas away from Rodney Bay which is not where we live BTW.

Somebody before chastised me for being in St Lucia - a rich Caribbean country Huh??? Give me a break!

We are here EXACTLY because we couldn't afford to live in the UK. Still can't really but we are going to give it a go next year for several years at least helped when my pension kicks in come 2016.
For this I'm back.

'What's this with St Lucia'? OK I'll spell it out: (irrespective of the fact that you have given your location)

Don't talk down to another poster who actually lives happily in the UK, about what he or she 'should be aware of' when you are not even personally experiencing it!!

Is that clear enough? It amazes me that you can take offence, but be utterly oblivious about causing it!

........and it saddens me that reading other threads in this section shows happiness about returning-whilst this nonsense goes on here.

(I've no illusions; some regret the decision, but others don't. OK?)

.........domani.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

is this meant to be ironic
Not really, it's meant to draw attention to the fact that you see yourself as better than those less fortunate than yourself. Not a good trait IMHO. But, you are what you are.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be really happy back in the UK and that's the main thing. I wish you well in the future as I do all returnees, no matter their circumstances. It can be a truly great place to live when all the boxes are ticked.

Have a good day.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

For this I'm back.

Don't talk down to another poster who actually lives happily in the UK, about what he or she 'should be aware of' when you are not even personally experiencing it!!
When I respond to a poster who is happily living in the UK in truth I'm not actually responding to him at all but to the forum at large and the thrust of the OP's question - isn't that only sense?

In the continuing debate ref Is the situation in the UK really that bad?
I'm really stating that in spite of what he has to say regarding the millions that are also having a good time in the UK there are a much bigger multitude who are not.

If we have not by now gleaned that chris is having a good time in the UK, much better than in Australia, we must have something wrong with us.

That fact is really irrelevant because we know his reasons, by now, why it works for him, reasons that will probably not apply to at least 95%, probably more, of onlookers.

Catching a currency at a high, house prices at a high, buying a quasi fixer-upper low twice, finding a good business opportunity in a low crime rural prosperous area. Yep that's John Q Public!

It's not representative so what's the point in talking to it because it's not helpful as it's misguiding as to how positive and careful one should be in general going in. Isn't that the WHOLE point of every single non-specific info requirement non-chitchat thread on MBTTUK?

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 10th 2013 at 3:19 pm. Reason: Isn't that the WHOLE point of every single non-specific
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awwwww Gawd!!!

When I respond to a poster who is happily living in the UK in truth I'm not actually responding to him at all but to the forum at large and the thrust of the OP's question - isn't that only sense?

Absurd! You quote him, you respond to a quote! saying 'are you aware' and now come out with this disingenuous nonsense!

In the continuing debate ref Is the situation in the UK really that bad?
I'm really stating that in spite of what he has to say regarding the millions that are also having a good time in the UK there are a much bigger multitude who are not.

Have you personally canvassed this 'multitude'?

If we have not by now gleaned that chris is having a good time in the UK, much better than in Australia, we must have something wrong with us.

See what I mean about patronising?

That fact is really irrelevant because we know his reasons, by now, why it works for him, reasons that will probably not apply to at least 95%, probably more, of onlookers.

'At least 95% probably more'! What's the matter pp? How unhappy are you? It doesn't ease does it?

Catching a currency at a high, house prices at a high, buying a quasi fixer-upper low twice, finding a good business opportunity in a low crime rural prosperous area. Yep that's John Q Public!

It's not representative so what's the point in talking to it because it's not helpful as it's misguiding upon how positive and careful one should be in general going in. Isn't that the WHOLE point.
The WHOLE point, is YOUR point. Which is an elongated diatribe on anything UK positive.

In truth this obsessive analyzing/wishful thinking should put me to sleep. It's doing the opposite!
How sad you people are! Your own bitterness shows amply,-and you (pp-so no get out clause), would have to be the most virulent of all.

I'm sorry you can't return to the UK (pp). Try to diminish some of your frustration at the people who can.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Awwwww Gawd!!!

The WHOLE point, is YOUR point. Which is an elongated diatribe on anything UK positive.

In truth this obsessive analyzing/wishful thinking should put me to sleep. It's doing the opposite!
How sad you people are! Your own bitterness shows amply,-and you (pp-so no get out clause), would have to be the most virulent of all.

I'm sorry you can't return to the UK (pp). Try to diminish some of your frustration at the people who can.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is still reading, I am sure that he, like me, has now lost the will to live.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.