Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by chris955
I must wonder how in detail they spend their money, and what they regard as difficult. In Australia as in Britain, being on the breadline appears to be having to keep last year's big flat screen TV, and not upgrade for another year.

I managed to save money from my Australian Centrelink Age Pension, earn a good interest rate on my savings, buy whatever was needed for my house, and every few years travel overseas. However I didn't have the expense of a car to eat into my income, I cycled short distances and used buses and taxis.

In Britain although the cost of living is lower, I am not saving anything. This doesn't make sense. My savings also earn a fraction of the rates in Oz, and unfortunately my Australian pension has depreciated considerably because of the adverse currency exchange rate.

What has surprised me returning to Britain, there are so many German cars everywhere which in Australia would be luxuries. But I wish shopping centres could be more prosperous and that property owners would use their profits for some TLC. Far too many buildings look unkempt and undesirable, repairs and coats of paint would help to attract customers. The same with seaside hotels, though of course many are struggling to stay afloat.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

We had to drive to a village outside Ludlow today and on the way my wife said words to the effect of why would anyone seriously want to live anywhere else in the world and it was pretty hard to disagree. This is such a beautiful country if only more people would open their eyes and take a look.
You're in Salop? That's where I was last stationed, so I settled there. I moved here from Wellington, but Shrewsbury was my stomping ground. Used to love the jazz festival at Ludlow!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Exactly: "More than half of UK adults said they were struggling with their finances"

It's that old perception vs. reality thing again.

Seems that comes up time and again whenever we discuss whether the UK is going to the dogs or whether the UK is better or worse than (insert other country here).

Even an increase in the % of people who perceive things are tough doesn't equate to an increase in reality - it may be that perceptions change because we are just becoming a more whiney, self-absorbed society.
Originally Posted by dunroving

The whole perception vs. reality discussion is lacking insight into the fact that perception is reality for most people.

Indeed it is.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
.......... because they're not walking in the same shoes. Simples.
Fair comment.

The essential tool! The vital necessity to prove the Mother country is on its last legs.
Is this stuff put up to show that, or to validate that coming to Aus was the right decision for the putter upper...?
(Btw: the comments. I have way more interest in reading how people react to these 'facts').

Simply proves no country is exempt from 'poverty'.

Here you go, it's not all doom and gloom. You'll be buzzin' around those pretty country lanes in no time.............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...in-Europe.html
............and yet another. Simply proves the increasing divide between rich and poor. Greed really is good...

Originally Posted by aries
I must wonder how in detail they spend their money, and what they regard as difficult. In Australia as in Britain, being on the breadline appears to be having to keep last year's big flat screen TV, and not upgrade for another year.

I managed to save money from my Australian Centrelink Age Pension, earn a good interest rate on my savings, buy whatever was needed for my house, and every few years travel overseas. However I didn't have the expense of a car to eat into my income, I cycled short distances and used buses and taxis.

In Britain although the cost of living is lower, I am not saving anything. This doesn't make sense. My savings also earn a fraction of the rates in Oz, and unfortunately my Australian pension has depreciated considerably because of the adverse currency exchange rate.

What has surprised me returning to Britain, there are so many German cars everywhere which in Australia would be luxuries. But I wish shopping centres could be more prosperous and that property owners would use their profits for some TLC. Far too many buildings look unkempt and undesirable, repairs and coats of paint would help to attract customers. The same with seaside hotels, though of course many are struggling to stay afloat.
Yup. The 'breadline' is perceptual to what one sees as a necessity. The greatest problem has always been HOW people manage their budget, and what they see as a priority. Those priorities are increasingly absurd, but are perpetually foisted on us by aggressive marketing, which is really a benign form of brain washing.
It is up to us to see it for what it is.

I'm not sure where this perception has grown that we all are returning to the UK because we, erroneously or otherwise,-believe we will be better off financially.

Some will; I won't. I will take a financial hit to return. So if this is the compelling reason for these stupid putdowns of all things UK, then they are invalid.
Some are going to be worse off, some better off. The issue is the desire to return home.
Some will stay, some will return to Aus, for those financial reasons.

But just accept it!!!! Some want to return to Britain even though they might be worse off financially.

Doesn't that tell you something?
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

"Facts" v "Hearsay". Let the reader take on board as much information as they wish in order to help with their decision making. Their choice.

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
No one takes massive decisions without a lot of thought and research.
"The grass is greener" "Rose tinted spectacles." Phrases more common on BE than "research" and "due diligence."

Well, 'research' may be quite common, but it usually amounts to, "I want to hear want I want to hear"

"The mind is like a parachute ........ it works best when opened."
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 9:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Emporer, our financial situation here wasnt a major consideration when we made the decision to move here so yes I agree it does tell you something. It tells me that we are a long time dead and in the grand scheme of things money is not the be all. We are comfortable financially and way more comfortable emotionally.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:00 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

But just accept it!!!! Some want to return to Britain even though they might be worse off financially.
And some don't want to return to Britain though they'd be financially better off (me). I just don't understand either the slagging off UK or how wonderful it is. If one is happy where they are, then that's the best place to be. There are other countries as beautiful (if not more in my opinion) as the UK, and friendly people can be found in all sorts of places. I like the UK for all it's faults, but don't want to live there (because of it's faults). I'm financially worse off here but have a better quality of life. And I do wonder how much 'perceived' homesickness is actually nostalgia - or just not being happy where you are.
Of course, not everyone has the luxury of being able to make that choice. I'm self employed and work online - some people have to find jobs, some are retired.
There are so many variables that no one size fits all.

Last edited by Harvester523; Aug 3rd 2013 at 5:02 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 5:22 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
And some don't want to return to Britain though they'd be financially better off (me). I just don't understand either the slagging off UK or how wonderful it is. If one is happy where they are, then that's the best place to be. There are other countries as beautiful (if not more in my opinion) as the UK, and friendly people can be found in all sorts of places. I like the UK for all it's faults, but don't want to live there (because of it's faults). I'm financially worse off here but have a better quality of life. And I do wonder how much 'perceived' homesickness is actually nostalgia - or just not being happy where you are.
Of course, not everyone has the luxury of being able to make that choice. I'm self employed and work online - some people have to find jobs, some are retired.
The thing is though noone is really saying their arent countries as beautiful as the UK or people as friendly as here. Noone is saying the UK is perfect by any means. We dont want to live in Australia (partly because of its faults) but that doesnt mean it isnt a nice place to live for others.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 7:14 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing is though noone is really saying their arent countries as beautiful as the UK or people as friendly as here. Noone is saying the UK is perfect by any means. We dont want to live in Australia (partly because of its faults) but that doesnt mean it isnt a nice place to live for others.
Well that's alright then
But, regarding perception of crime, I've had since late teens a perception that it's high, but not changed much. I've met one or two perverts, had obscene phone calls, and even lived next door to a peeping tom, had a window shot with an air rifle, had a shared office burgled, and also know several people who've been burgled (all in a rural area).
One thing I noticed since being here (where we're lulled into a false sense of security and barely lock doors) is having a couple of people from the UK coming to stay, and they were quite paranoid of any noises or lights outside at night - as I was when I first arrived but now feel totally relaxed. I think that is one of the major factors why this is my place to be. Of course, that's only until something happens here
As I said somewhere previously, your own experiences colour your perceptions, though I do agree the media has a lot to answer for, putting doubts in your mind even before any event.
Mind you, if crime's been decreasing for a decade, maybe it's something to do with me leaving!

Last edited by Harvester523; Aug 3rd 2013 at 7:24 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Absolutely fine.

The contentious issue for me in this part of BE is that this is the 'Returning to the UK' section.
All my comments are based on that.

In this section, unless making defamatory remarks or breaching forum rules, returnees should be able to express themselves freely; about return/reasons for return/problems encountered etc.

It doesn't have the title: 'Discussion about whether Australia is better than Britain for returnees'!
.......................................in other words it's not a competition whereby anyone returning to the UK and expressing why must be immediately countered with (and this IS an 'Aussie' thing!), with a strident or even subtle but snide defence of Australia.

There is a section 'upstairs' for all things Australian, and I think that's great; it's the way it should be on an expat site!

This is Returning To The UK.
There shouldn't be a problem should there? But there always is.

Bluntly: I TG that this is a US based site. If it were Australian (and trust me on this point..), returnees would not be able to express themselves without incessant attacks-and if they then respond to that and defend themselves...?
Guess who is in the poo?

That is bog standard on Ozsites.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely fine.

The contentious issue for me in this part of BE is that this is the 'Returning to the UK' section.
All my comments are based on that.

In this section, unless making defamatory remarks or breaching forum rules, returnees should be able to express themselves freely; about return/reasons for return/problems encountered etc.

It doesn't have the title: 'Discussion about whether Australia is better than Britain for returnees'!
.......................................in other words it's not a competition whereby anyone returning to the UK and expressing why must be immediately countered with (and this IS an 'Aussie' thing!), with a strident or even subtle but snide defence of Australia.

There is a section 'upstairs' for all things Australian, and I think that's great; it's the way it should be on an expat site!

Bluntly: I TG that this is a US based site. If it were Australian (and trust me on this point..), returnees would not be able to express themselves without incessant attacks-and if they then respond to that and defend themselves...?
Guess who is in the poo?

That is bog standard on Ozsites.
Well said :-)
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

...... or Australia is worse than Britain for returnees.

Well said.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

...... or Australia is worse than Britain for returnees......
Ahhh! Bud! Worralad! If returning to the UK from Australia, it would stand to reason at that time that 'Australia is worse'.

It is a given. See what I mean about this incessant competitiveness?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahhh! Bud! Worralad! If returning to the UK from Australia, it would stand to reason at that time that 'Australia is worse'.

It is a given. See what I mean about this incessant competitiveness?
Doesn't stand to reason at all. I'm sure there's a large percentage who return because they feel it's the right thing to do for them at the time, regardless of whether they thought one country was better than the other.

Just debating via civil discourse.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Doesn't stand to reason at all. I'm sure there's a large percentage who return because they feel it's the right thing to do for them at the time, regardless of whether they thought one country was better than the other.

Just debating via civil discourse.
Now we get to the minutiae! If they feel that it's the right thing for them to do at the time-it does stand to logical reason that at that time the UK is preferable; ergo: better than Australia.
I know that this is something Auspats choke on, but they must accept it. Each to his own!

- Absolutely true, noticeable and appreciated.

But you are in the camp (yes, regrettably there are 'sides' on this issue) that incessantly puts up defence of Australia.
Me? I am posting in 'Returnees'-and continue to believe that folks should not have to repeatedly defend their decisions in this section.

And they DO have to!

US/Canadian/European expats seem to have much more confidence in all decisions: stay or go. I wish Australians/Auspats would learn from this.

(It's almost as if someone is trying to get through a door, and they're picked at and pulled back, and when that doesn't work, they get a boot in the backside, are ridiculed, and the door slammed on them!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.