Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Equally, suburban shops are closing down-there are so many that are now boarded up, some with graffiti.
This is NOT point scoring; I suspect this is an international problem caused by the 'greed is good' thing. Smaller businesses are being completely trounced by mega business..
you're probably right there

Most all suburban shopping is done at shopping centres-and many of those smaller businesses within are closing because of high rents...
yup, I've heard that rents are rising every year and people just can't justify it. Surely this has to stop at some stage or there will be no smaller shops left - unless that's the way of the future!

Those decreasing wages I suspect have less to do with market competition then the ethic nowadays that profits must be kept high.
I think keeping profits high has always been the forefront of anyone's business plan (well, most anyway). Lots of companies have struggled in the credit crisis also, thus now green shoots are appearing slowly some can afford to start re-hiring, but at lower wages. I do think some companies use the credit crunch as an excuse to pay lower wages however.

Sorry. I'm tired and bloody fed up!) .
don't apologise, your opinion and feelings are as important as anyone's and you have a right to put that forward whenever you feel.

Hope things are brighter for you. I don't know your story, but take it your fed up with Oz? (don't mean to open can of worms).
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:45 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We see little if any dog poo on the paths around here, like everything it seems to be area related. Same with all the rubbish I keep hearing about all over the streets althoigh we went to Kidderminster yesterday and the place we went was quite dirty and a real shock compared to this area.

We went down to Geelong (where I grew up) before we left to see family and in the actual centre of the city I reckon 25% of the shops were closed. I felt depressed going there to be honest. I have seen similar scenes here so yes it seems to be an international problem.

Very balanced post thanks.

I have to admit that I remember with disgust frequently seeing dog poo on pavements, particularly in parts of London. I hope to hell that's changed, because it is an absolute rarity here.

Equally, suburban shops are closing down-there are so many that are now boarded up, some with graffiti.
This is NOT point scoring; I suspect this is an international problem caused by the 'greed is good' thing. Smaller businesses are being completely trounced by mega business.
Most all suburban shopping is done at shopping centres-and many of those smaller businesses within are closing because of high rents.

Those decreasing wages I suspect have less to do with market competition then the ethic nowadays that profits must be kept high.

The worst not best thing, that ever happened was 'Mum and Dad' shareholders. They could not afford to 'play the market', so these massive companies must keep their returns in the black.
It will be at the cost of their brother/sister/daughter/son' etc job-but hey! they get a good return.
If the shareholders are happy with their return-the Board is rewarded with bonuses.....and so it goes on.

They do not lose. Corporate welfare in Australia is de rigeuer. They can/do threaten a pull out-so they are given millions to ensure jobs.
The bas tards cannot lose.

If things are so bad then how are the rich getting richer? Things are bad everywhere because the powerful and the adroit can do what they want.
After all politicians need corporate jobs are they retire don't they?

(Sorry. I'm tired and bloody fed up!)

Excellent post Still Game.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Empereor You may find things a bit different in the UK since you left

Dog poo of course still exists, but to see it is a rarity in most cities. (Some areas not, but generally it is absent. The penalties are quite high).

Yes small town shops are (and have been for years ) closing or closed. But part of that is the other side of the cheaper food/ goods argument that many on here pursue.

The other half of that is that councils in England are paid by developers under a section 106 to develop housing. (It is of course a business tax in reality, but few see it that way).

Part of that payment is to provide car parking, or some other service - which often is at the out of town supermarket that is involved in one way or another with the development.

Car parking in towns is very restricted - mainly IMO because town councillors have almost no ability to influence anything any more (most is managed under EU directives or regulations), so they constantly manage and micro manage every possible place anyone can park. Which usually means banning it.

The end result is a fifteen minute walk to the shops. So the shops close. Not aided by the fact that community spend in the UK is funded from central taxation and not local.

Interestingly the present Government is trying to introduce a 15 minute free period for parking in restricted areas. I personally doubt the local councils will let that one fly.

So even more local shops will close.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Empereor You may find things a bit different in the UK since you left

Dog poo of course still exists, but to see it is a rarity in most cities. (Some areas not, but generally it is absent. The penalties are quite high).

Yes small town shops are (and have been for years ) closing or closed. But part of that is the other side of the cheaper food/ goods argument that many on here pursue.

The other half of that is that councils in England are paid by developers under a section 106 to develop housing. (It is of course a business tax in reality, but few see it that way).

Part of that payment is to provide car parking, or some other service - which often is at the out of town supermarket that is involved in one way or another with the development.

Car parking in towns is very restricted - mainly IMO because town councillors have almost no ability to influence anything any more (most is managed under EU directives or regulations), so they constantly manage and micro manage every possible place anyone can park. Which usually means banning it.

The end result is a fifteen minute walk to the shops. So the shops close. Not aided by the fact that community spend in the UK is funded from central taxation and not local.

Interestingly the present Government is trying to introduce a 15 minute free period for parking in restricted areas. I personally doubt the local councils will let that one fly.

So even more local shops will close.
I agree with this. I spent several weeks in Belfast last year. Downtown looks the same but the major roads are now traffic free except for buses. The multi story car parks are very expensive. Boots and other major stores were empty except the M&S food halls. In the suburbs..parking at a local M&S was impossible. I read that Brits are much more likely to order goods online.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Jus' popping by for a sec', back later. (And this rush is all related to the journey home! )

In my post about 'burb shops closing I did mean in Australia (which has prob already been picked up...?).

Still:-not happy in Aus. The extent of that is something I won't write about. People have the absolute right to find out for themselves. I have no intention of tarnishing what is 'the dream' for so many. I can write generally, but not specifically, because if I did that I really would get impolite as I've said!
It may be a big success for some, and might not for others. They have the equal right to try, as we did.

Biggles:-I know. I know the UK has changed. How could it not fail to do so? And things WILL have got worse, because Governments/politicians are part of that thing that Groucho? Marx said: "any club that would have me for a member is not a club I would want to join" (Not verbatim!).
Politicians of all persuasions could not organise a biss up in a prewery. Result: things get worserer..an'worserer!

But those bozo's cannot destroy the beauty of the landscape much as they would like to sell vast tracts of it for megabucks to those sterile cretins who would develop it into a concrete jungle in a heartbeat.

THAT is what I am returning to + an affinity that is UK/British.

The poo issue!!:- I wrote about what was so noticable-then. I don't for one moment suggest that Britain is steeped in excrement!

To be blunt, I find it hard to say anything positive about Aus, and this is a bone of contention with so many. I am compelled to say though that Aus was largely sh it free even in 1977.
I am only referring to dog poo btw......

Right. The Great Luggage Search Saga continueth!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Still:-not happy in Aus. The extent of that is something I won't write about. People have the absolute right to find out for themselves. I have no intention of tarnishing what is 'the dream' for so many. I can write generally, but not specifically, because if I did that I really would get impolite as I've said!
It may be a big success for some, and might not for others. They have the equal right to try, as we did.
very balanced and just shows that works for some people doesn't work for others. Glad you're making the big move back here and gave it a try. Life is an adventure (don't care what anyone says!) and to have experiences living in different places around the globe is really something to cherish and look back on in the rocking chair daze. You'll love being back here, that is clear and wish you all the best in your future endeavours! PS if you feel like having a massive rant and to get it off your chest before you leave send me a pm for a giggle!

all the very best!!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Emperor - this is what you clearly need.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prefect-mess.../dp/B00CRHNRFO

Actually, although I spend only part of the year in the UK, I rather fancy there is an element of curmudgeon in my decision - you know "the sun always shone in the school holidays" "Fish and chips tasted better out of newspaper" (although that gave us mouth cancer! etc etc.

I LIKE England, and the English. IMO opinion, it really is the finest country in the world and I have lived and worked in quite a few, and visited loads more.

England is broadly getting better - I think we like to moan. There are fewer in absolute poverty. The slums and tenements of my youth are gone. Services are available in most towns most of the day and night - and at a decent price.
The days of waiting 6 months to get a telephone are a distant memory. We no longer lose electricity one day, gas the next. The trains run every day (although not always on time - in fact RARELY on time)we expect (and generally get) services fixed in 24 hours.
Young people broadly are well mannered, pleasant and industrious.
Open spaces are better cared for again and often decorated with artistic collections of plastic poo bags hanging from the trees (Joke).
And in most towns you can get an Indian, Chinese, kebab, or fish and chips takeaway to have after a pint of proper beer.
And Real Food - pork pies, Cornish pasties, Cheddar and Stilton, Staffordshire oat cakes, kippers, bloaters, - the list goes on.

I can hear your mouth watering. Enjoy!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

OECD better life index.....

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/c.../#/21151515551
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Interesting BtW! I've bookmarked that and will take a squizzy later.

Actually, although I spend only part of the year in the UK, I rather fancy there is an element of curmudgeon in my decision - you know "the sun always shone in the school holidays" "Fish and chips tasted better out of newspaper" (although that gave us mouth cancer! etc etc.

I LIKE England, and the English. IMO opinion, it really is the finest country in the world and I have lived and worked in quite a few, and visited loads more.

England is broadly getting better - I think we like to moan. There are fewer in absolute poverty. The slums and tenements of my youth are gone. Services are available in most towns most of the day and night - and at a decent price.
The days of waiting 6 months to get a telephone are a distant memory. We no longer lose electricity one day, gas the next. The trains run every day (although not always on time - in fact RARELY on time)we expect (and generally get) services fixed in 24 hours.
Open spaces are better cared for again and often decorated with artistic collections of plastic poo bags hanging from the trees (Joke).
And in most towns you can get an Indian, Chinese, kebab, or fish and chips takeaway to have after a pint of proper beer.
And Real Food - pork pies, Cornish pasties, Cheddar and Stilton, Staffordshire oat cakes, kippers, bloaters, - the list goes on.

Awww Gawd! I hope you are right Biggles! I just want to go where I know I fit in. I just simply no longer have any illusions left, that's all!
I've said elsewhere that it's going to be tougher for me financially in Blighty, but I cannot stay here. I cannot.

The minute I knew I could return (it was the Auspension thing), it was an absolute no brainer. I knew within 4-5 years that I was in the wrong place here.

I managed a holiday for 3 months in 1987. When I left, I knew I was leaving home, not coming home.

......I want that bag!!! It is so...well, me.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Still Game
very balanced and just shows that works for some people doesn't work for others. Glad you're making the big move back here and gave it a try. Life is an adventure (don't care what anyone says!) and to have experiences living in different places around the globe is really something to cherish and look back on in the rocking chair daze. You'll love being back here, that is clear and wish you all the best in your future endeavours! PS if you feel like having a massive rant and to get it off your chest before you leave send me a pm for a giggle!

all the very best!!
...........tha' never knows, I might just do that....

I actually have some whopping ranty stuff in my Docs, that was sent to someone who asked for really frank opinions.
A person who came with some financial ease; stayed 6 months, and tbh was horrified,-and returned to the UK in March this year.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting BtW! I've bookmarked that and will take a squizzy later.

Awww Gawd! I hope you are right Biggles! I just want to go where I know I fit in. I just simply no longer have any illusions left, that's all!
I've said elsewhere that it's going to be tougher for me financially in Blighty, but I cannot stay here. I cannot.

The minute I knew I could return (it was the Auspension thing), it was an absolute no brainer. I knew within 4-5 years that I was in the wrong place here.

I managed a holiday for 3 months in 1987. When I left, I knew I was leaving home, not coming home.

......I want that bag!!! It is so...well, me.
Emperor, I love to read your posts.

I think you are doing the right thing in going home. I, too, have tried to "fake" a life in another country (for me, the USA) for 30+ years. There has been an emptiness inside all that time and, for some reason, it has become larger as I have got older (now 60).

Of course, high earnings helped to soothe the wound of being away from home for a few years but times are different in this country now. Over the last almost 10 years I have been a victim of unemployment for long spells at a time, no health insurance, etc. and it all ate away at the savings. It will take everything I have left to make the move back, get settled and get my business going in Europe BUT my soul will be at peace and I know in the long run that if my soul is not at peace, all the money in the world cannot buy that.

I am a creative person but that creativity has been stifled because I am not very happy here. I think that will change when I get back.

In other words, I know you are doing the right thing, even if things will be a little tighter for you. In any case, values are different in the UK and, while we need money to buy necessities, I don't think there is as much tendency to feel we have to keep up with the Joneses over there - another thing I like about the UK.

When I read your posts, I feel your deep, heartfelt desire to go home - very similar to my own. Don't hesitate - do it. Your health will be much better because you are at peace and when you have your health, the rest is gravy.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

What a very good post and spot on. Almost everyone now is better off overall than they were say 10 years ago. For us life here is WAY better than it was in Australia, not because we earn more money because we dont or that the sun shines more because it doesnt. The benefits are largely intangible but almost every day I find myself smiling about silly things.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

I realise that this is not really the subject of this thread but this is so true. It drives me freaking mad that people can't recognise that choosing to buy something online or at a giant Tesco extra for the sake of saving a few pennies or because they prefer the convenience of having it home delivered is killing the high street. Yes, there are other things contributing to this; parking is a big one.

The thought of a day when I can only buy something from Tesco or Amazon gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong
Emperor, I love to read your posts.

I think you are doing the right thing in going home. I, too, have tried to "fake" a life in another country (for me, the USA) for 30+ years. There has been an emptiness inside all that time and, for some reason, it has become larger as I have got older (now 60).

Of course, high earnings helped to soothe the wound of being away from home for a few years but times are different in this country now. Over the last almost 10 years I have been a victim of unemployment for long spells at a time, no health insurance, etc. and it all ate away at the savings. It will take everything I have left to make the move back, get settled and get my business going in Europe BUT my soul will be at peace and I know in the long run that if my soul is not at peace, all the money in the world cannot buy that.

I am a creative person but that creativity has been stifled because I am not very happy here. I think that will change when I get back.

In other words, I know you are doing the right thing, even if things will be a little tighter for you. In any case, values are different in the UK and, while we need money to buy necessities, I don't think there is as much tendency to feel we have to keep up with the Joneses over there - another thing I like about the UK.

When I read your posts, I feel your deep, heartfelt desire to go home - very similar to my own. Don't hesitate - do it. Your health will be much better because you are at peace and when you have your health, the rest is gravy.
Ahhh thank-you my dear! I know to that you will make it, and of course I know why!

It was/is abundantly clear that you are not 'blinded by the light'.... and have your head firmly screwed on!
I got to the stage where I knew your ball was in your own court, as it were, so backed quietly away. You know how many beans make five !

(I'm off to me' telly! It's nighttime here. TTFN!)
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I actually have some whopping ranty stuff in my Docs, that was sent to someone who asked for really frank opinions
I would be genuinely interested to read this, if you didn't mind that was. I really struggle with the choice I need to make. I just cannot figure out what to do and it's annoying the hell out of me taking up pretty much all space in a pea sized brain as it is!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.