Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by chris955
I think the point Grayling is making is that Bud seemingly has no intention of returning to the UK so his constant criticism can only be viewed as trolling. If he does have plans to return then his constant negative posts could be seen as some sort of 'revenge' for others posting positive things, either way not a good look.
What Buds intentions are I could not say - some people take a long time preparing for such a big move. Some people know instantly what is right for them and don't take as long. Family, Friends and Finances also play a large part in when and how we make decisions. Some people need lots of reassurance that things are not as bad as they are reading, and some people provide alternative information to hopefully arrive at what is the best outcome for them and their families. I think it is far more valid to have a negative piece of news posted that is about the UK, than to say 'it's just as bad as xyz'. Of course, for every negative post, discussions about peoples experiences in the UK would be better, but some people will always see the good in everything and some people are always cautious and see negatives that's just the way we all are
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
What Buds intentions are I could not say - some people take a long time preparing for such a big move. Some people know instantly what is right for them and don't take as long. Family, Friends and Finances also play a large part in when and how we make decisions. Some people need lots of reassurance that things are not as bad as they are reading, and some people provide alternative information to hopefully arrive at what is the best outcome for them and their families. I think it is far more valid to have a negative piece of news posted that is about the UK, than to say 'it's just as bad as xyz'. Of course, for every negative post, discussions about peoples experiences in the UK would be better, but some people will always see the good in everything and some people are always cautious and see negatives that's just the way we all are
Are you going to correct what you said in post 1739?.....you know I was talking about Australia or are you simply trying to point score?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I am talking about Australia...where I live.....and you know it.

In fact I edited my post to reflect that before you replied

You really are showing your true colours here
I didn't see your edit whilst replying but I suspected that you were talking about Australia - there is an Aus forum for the discussion of all things Australian, but if you wish to compare your experiences with the NHS and Medicare that is also fine as long as it is clear. The answer I gave though is still valid - if you find yourself in an area where NHS lists are longer for the treatment you are seeking, you can seek treatment in another NHS area. Of course, that doesn't help with trying to see a GP - and most NHS or private medical insurance will still require you to get a referral from your GP first.

Of course, if you are happy with the NHS none of the above will worry you
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:01 am

Are you going to correct what you said in post 1739?.....you know I was talking about Australia or are you simply trying to point score?
I assume that was the post I was just replying to - give a girl a chance!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see your edit whilst replying but I suspected that you were talking about Australia - there is an Aus forum for the discussion of all things Australian, but if you wish to compare your experiences with the NHS and Medicare that is also fine as long as it is clear. The answer I gave though is still valid - if you find yourself in an area where NHS lists are longer for the treatment you are seeking, you can seek treatment in another NHS area. Of course, that doesn't help with trying to see a GP - and most NHS or private medical insurance will still require you to get a referral from your GP first.

Of course, if you are happy with the NHS none of the above will worry you
So, if you knew I was talking about Australia why did you post the smartarse reply?
.....and if I post about my experiences in Australia you will step in to protect me from all the flak I will get?

No one has ever done so yet
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:05 am
Bitter and twisted

I assume that was the post I was just replying to - give a girl a chance!
As I said ....you are showing your true colours here.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:11 am

So, if you knew I was talking about Australia why did you post the smartarse reply?
.....and if I post about my experiences in Australia you will step in to protect meforgom all the flak I will get?

No one has ever done so yet
I think if you posted your experience in the Aus forum, a large majority will agree, some will disagree and give you examples of how they have received excellent treatment and some will sit back and watch. If the same poster said 'tell us about the NHS' that's also fine. If the person repeated the question, they might get advised that you had them on ignore. If they asked again they might get asked why the NHS is relevant to how health services work in Australia.

Of course - it may get missed - I was already subscribed to this thread so noticed your second post and advised you that Bud may have you on ignore.

As to why I responded to your post about bad healthcare the way I did - I could assume you meant Australia, but when I read your post you didn't say so and I would rather this forum focussed on UK issues and not constant comparisons to other countries.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:12 am

As I said ....you are showing your true colours here.
My true colours would be red, white and green - is that what you mean?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:14 am
Bitter and twisted

My true colours would be red, white and green - is that what you mean?
No....you have a definite pro Australia..anti UK bias....and it is pretty obvious
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:18 am

No....you have a definite pro Australia..anti UK bias....and it is pretty obvious
Wales offers free prescriptions for all. They also offer free public transport for pensioners. There is an issue with NHS dentists, but housing costs are reasonable, space is better and if you don't need to work is a great area to retire to

All said before but incase you missed it.

Slough on the other hand
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Wales offers free prescriptions for all. They also offer free public transport for pensioners. There is an issue with NHS dentists, but housing costs are reasonable, space is better and if you don't need to work is a great area to retire to

All said before but incase you missed it.

Slough on the other hand
What has that got to do with my point about your bias?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:34 am

What has that got to do with my point about your bias?
Right now Australia is a new country to me, with new experiences - some good, some not so good. The only experience I have of Oz healthcare is good since I could buy an inhaler over the counter without going near a GP.

On the other hand, I have many years of experience with the UK - some good, some not so good. Experiences with the GP service in Slough is not good as already explained. Experiences with the GP service in Wales was better, but it's been a number of years since I was there. My mum uses the same GP though and has had difficulties getting appointments in recent years, but generally better than Slough

I have very limited experience with health services in Florida - only one but it was positive in that it was quick, helpful and dealt with the emergency. It was though quite expensive although reimbursed by travel insurance.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:44 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, a UK thread turns into an Aus vs. UK squabble.

I believe MBTTUK is for people thinking of or planning to return to the UK - but that doesn't mean you have to fall into this category to post, it means the posts are for the benefit of such people. There are people who post on here who live outside the UK, some inside, some claim to be coming back, some claim to want to come back but can't, some claim to live here half the year, so what, as long as a post is relevant and helpful to people who are returning?

People claim all sorts of things on the internet and unless we are going to create some sort of passport to prove who is really living here, returning here, whatever, all this second-guessing about who is doing what seems pointless and petty. What will be next - only those with a return plane ticket are allowed to post? Give me a break.

I returned in 2006 but that doesn't make me ineligible to post, for example. I post negative and positive things about the UK. I have experienced the NHS postcode lottery, it isn't a figment of anyone's imagination or a fake tabloid headline, and people returning have a need to know about it so they can plan accordingly. I'm lucky to be able to get a doctor's appointment same day if I want (with a wait of maybe 5 minutes if the doctor is running over), but the last place I lived the local practice was a pit. And as pointed out, at least it is "free" (to those who don't pay UK taxes), or "free at point of service" (for those who do pay UK taxes).

Yes, Bud posts negative things about the UK, but usually with links and evidence. He also posts positive things (not as frequently, but so what?). I don't agree with everything he says but unless I think there is something factually incorrect or misleading, I just ignore those bits.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

The GP surgery we left in the UK would only let you make an appt on the day you were calling. To get an appt on the day involved ringing repeatedly once the phone lines opened at 08.15. If by the time you got through there were no appts left that day, you still couldn't book an appt for the following day - just try again at 0815 the following morning. Rinse and repeat until either you got lucky and got through in time, or you got better - or you got so sick you ended up in hospital
This is the same with my surgery. I just keep dialling, sometimes 50 times or more, otherwise as you say there are no appointments left. Not a system I was used to before I returned. Fortunately I am given forward appointments for my frequent INR blood tests.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by aries
This is the same with my surgery. I just keep dialling, sometimes 50 times or more, otherwise as you say there are no appointments left. Not a system I was used to before I returned. Fortunately I am given forward appointments for my frequent INR blood tests.
That is fortunate as not all GP surgeries will do blood tests anymore, but the vampire ladies at the hospital are usually pretty quick, and you just turn up and take a ticket and wait your turn - that's the same in Slough and where my mum lives in Wales

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.