Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Places like that exist all over the Uk but the doomsayers prefer to focus on the problems in inner cities.....problems which exist in cities worldwide.

I'll take a 'Heartbeat' remote British village with less than 500 people, two pubs, a church & without a postman, petrol station or mechanic - a place where everyone minds their own business.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

I'll take a 'Heartbeat' remote British village with less than 500 people, two pubs, a church & without a postman, petrol station or mechanic - a place where everyone minds their own business.
Sounds like Royston Vasey.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
as the sign says 'you'll never leave!'
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Heartbeat? Royston Vasey? Not a patch on Midsomer. Over 222 murders, a lot of S&M and not an ethnic minority in sight.

Safer in the inner cities.................. unless you like it kinky.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Heartbeat? Royston Vasey? Not a patch on Midsomer. Over 222 murders, a lot of S&M and not an ethnic minority in sight.

Safer in the inner cities.................. unless you like it kinky.
What's the crime like in Florida Bud?

......and the public Heath service?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
If all of us lived in villages, they would become towns and cities. But not everyone wants to live in villages no matter how rural and tranquil they are. All I am saying is that village life doesn't reflect what most people experience.
If people don't want to live in villages through choice, then they have to accept where they live and whatever circumstances are incorporated within their chosen place of residence. If, on the other hand, they cannot afford to live in villages, or need to live somewhere closer to work, if their work is in a town/city, then yes village life doesn't reflect on their day to day life.

I suspect there are more of the later than the former. That doesn't make Chris's comments invalid, it's just that they don't apply to the majority.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
If people don't want to live in villages through choice, then they have to accept where they live and whatever circumstances are incorporated within their chosen place of residence. If, on the other hand, they cannot afford to live in villages, or need to live somewhere closer to work, if their work is in a town/city, then yes village life doesn't reflect on their day to day life.

I suspect there are more of the later than the former. That doesn't make Chris's comments invalid, it's just that they don't apply to the majority.
Come on Bud....don't be shy. Tell us what things are like where you are from.

Or do you simply prefer to troll?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you are on his ignore list.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Perhaps you are on his ignore list.
Don't think so

Bud is only interested in posting negative stuff about the UK....he pretends he wants to move back but gets all shy whenever anyone asks him about it
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that most posts may appear negative - or reality for some people.

Some people wanting to return to the UK may not be able to for whatever reason - spouses, family, employment, etc - but they can plan for when that changes - or they may know when they are returning and choose not to publicise it.

When are you returning to UK?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:46 am
Bitter and twisted

I spend my time between the two countries. I work for a few months of the year here and did think about it long term but it is not really practical.

I will move back to the Uk when I completely retire....maybe this year maybe the next.

Difficult when you have grandchildren in both countries and another one on the way

I know the village I will be moving back to
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Grayling
I spend my time between the two countries. I work for a few months of the year here and did think about it long term but it is not really practical.

I will move back to the Uk when I completely retire....maybe this year maybe the next.

Difficult when you have grandchildren in both countries and another one on the way

I know the village I will be moving back to
I can see how that would be difficult

As you say, easier once you retire to live where you're happier and visit the other country

Congrats on the soon to be newest addition to the family
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:12 am
Bitter and twisted

I can see how that would be difficult

As you say, easier once you retire to live where you're happier and visit the other country

Congrats on the soon to be newest addition to the family
Thank you.

Indeed it is difficult....my wife just returned for 10 days for a function and it has taken her just as long to recover from the trip

It was OK when younger but gets more difficult as time goes on
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Don't you live in a Herefordshire village where there is no grafitti, little or no crime, and the big bad world (which most of us experience) has passed you by?
Yes.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:57 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that most posts may appear negative - or reality for some people.

Some people wanting to return to the UK may not be able to for whatever reason - spouses, family, employment, etc - but they can plan for when that changes - or they may know when they are returning and choose not to publicise it.

Thats the interesting thing, Bud will constantly comment on how my situation doesnt apply to the majority but constantly post negative stories about the UK that equally dont apply to the majority, weird isnt it People arent silly though, I think most see him for what he is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.