Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 25th 2013, 12:31 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Do you have their contacts? We have four dogs and I am convinced they invite their pals around for poo-parties.

I will even supply my own bin!
I could go freelance on this.

Whenever I see a dog by the road it is always pooing. It's become a family joke that when I am with them and we pass a dog it is pooing. You have no idea how disturbing this is.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Almo, thanks so much for the update.

I'm only just catching up on this thread because I wrongly assumed it wouldn't be very helpful/interesting and instead I've found loads of interesting posts!
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I could go freelance on this.

Whenever I see a dog by the road it is always pooing. It's become a family joke that when I am with them and we pass a dog it is pooing. You have no idea how disturbing this is.
Not as disturbing as this:

"She was initially refused service while in the saddle in the drive-through lane of the branch in Whitefield, Greater Manchester. She then led the animal inside, where it defecated on the floor" - that's enough to put you off McDonald's forever!

- Mind you, as much as the locals get worked up about dog poo on the paths, the fact that the local stables leave HUGE piles of horse poo everywhere doesn't seem to bother them. As for the cat poo all over my garden, don't get me started.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

......or worse...........

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1451957.html
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Oh goodness!!!! I know it's not really funny, but the Christmas tree made me laugh.

In Todmorden, West Yorkshire, British Waterways decorated a tree with dozens of bags of poo-filled plastic bags, to highlight the problem of owners picking the waste up - only to fling it into the foliage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22853270

>
>
>
> Cue link to kangaroo poop down under..
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Wow, that was going to be my next possible "adventure" (mini-
Go! Paris is a brilliant city and I have never experienced the negatives described. Have visited several times, but the last time was 2007, so maybe it has gone to the "dogs" since then. I hope not.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Go! Paris is a brilliant city and I have never experienced the negatives described. Have visited several times, but the last time was 2007, so maybe it has gone to the "dogs" since then. I hope not.
Paris is a wonderful city and definitely worth visiting. But it's true that there, (and in other places too, though I think it does vary by area), the French are very very bad about cleaning up after their dogs.

There's also a strong whiff of human pee in many a corner, that's true too.

But...Paris is still Paris.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Oh goodness!!!! I know it's not really funny, but the Christmas tree made me laugh.

In Todmorden, West Yorkshire, British Waterways decorated a tree with dozens of bags of poo-filled plastic bags, to highlight the problem of owners picking the waste up - only to fling it into the foliage.
D
I was amazed to see this everywhere in England on my recent holiday .. dogshit bags hung up in trees. I asked my sister about it (she's a dog owner.). She claims that folks walking their dogs will often hang the bag up in a tree so they will remember to retrieve it on the way back home, rather than having to carry it the whole way. Then they sometimes forget to pick it up. Seems a little far fetched, since I saw it so many times..

My thought is, isn't this bagging up and disposal of dogshit causing even more of an environmental problem than before, what with all the plastic bags and the collection procedure? Why can't owners carry a trowel, and place the turd right under a hedge or something similar, where there's no danger of someone stepping in it? This addresses more the rural than the town or suburban aspect..
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Isn't there dog waste bins
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:49 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Most of them are too high...the dogs can't reach them.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Attached Thumbnails Is the situation in the UK really that bad?-securedownload.jpg  
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Gold !
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to mention this for those in Australia who are having major problems with opening a UK bank account:

I noticed a recommendation on the Flyertalk website for:

www.1stcontact.com.au

They arrange bank account/NI number/and provide a non contracted Sim card for you on arrival.

This is called a Kickstart Package and costs $85AUD.

I did some research and could find nothing negative on them. I've had a couple of contacts with them ready to notify them shortly before departure of an address (have to wait until one month before departure-budgets!)

It will cost me less than that standard package because I have my NI no.
Because of their contacts with 5 major UK banks, they can expedite matters.

Adding that I have no personal knowledge of them, they appear to have a good reputation.

It will mean that I have a Sim waiting, and an up and running bank account-they transfer funds over at the clients request.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I was amazed to see this everywhere in England on my recent holiday .. dogshit bags hung up in trees. I asked my sister about it (she's a dog owner.). She claims that folks walking their dogs will often hang the bag up in a tree so they will remember to retrieve it on the way back home, rather than having to carry it the whole way. Then they sometimes forget to pick it up. Seems a little far fetched, since I saw it so many times..

My thought is, isn't this bagging up and disposal of dogshit causing even more of an environmental problem than before, what with all the plastic bags and the collection procedure? Why can't owners carry a trowel, and place the turd right under a hedge or something similar, where there's no danger of someone stepping in it? This addresses more the rural than the town or suburban aspect..
Because part of the reason for removing the poo is to stop kids picking it up/playing with it - and they will still find it under hedges etc, you know what little kids are like!

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes, in most parks, and litter bins at bus stops, along main streets etc.
Have to admit I've never come across the bags hanging from trees thing, and I spend a lot of time back home. My niece, who lives back home, has just got herself a dog, and she's never heard of it either.
Love it, shamelessly pinched!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.