Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by martinw01908
"UK Debt Statistics from Credit Action
August 2013
UK Personal Debt
http://www.creditaction.org.uk/helpf...tatistics.html
Outstanding personal debt stood at £1.425 trillion at the end of June 2013.
This is up from £1.421 trillion at the end of June 2012. At the end of June 2013, individuals owed nearly as much as the entire country produced during the whole of 2012.

Outstanding secured (mortgage) lending stood at £1.267 trillion at the end of June 2013. This is up from £1.263 trillion at the end of June 2012.

Outstanding unsecured (consumer credit) lending stood at £157.8 billion at the end of June 2013. This is down from £157.9 billion at the end of June 2012.

Average household debt in the UK (excluding mortgages) was £5,986 in June. This is up from a revised £5,978 in May.

Average household debt in the UK (including mortgages) was £54,067 in June. This is up from a revised £54,034 in May.

The average amount owed per UK adult (including mortgages) was £29,008 in June. This is up from a revised £28,990 in May and was around 117% of average earnings.

Average consumer borrowing (including credit cards, motor and retail finance deals, overdrafts and unsecured loans) per UK adult was £3,211 in June. This is up from a revised £3,207 in May.

The estimated average outstanding mortgage for the 11.3m households that carry mortgage debt stood at £112,548 in June.

Based on June 2013 trends, the UK's total interest repayments on personal debt over a 12 month period would have been £59.9 billion. This is equivalent to £164 million per day. This means that UK households would have paid an average of £2,272 in annual interest repayments.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) predicted in March 2013 that total household debt will reach £1.931 trillion in Q1 2018. This would mean that average household debt would reach £73,284 (assuming that the number of households in the UK remained the same between now and Q1 2018).

Total net lending to individuals by UK Banks and Building Societies rose by £1.5 billion in June 2013. Net secured lending rose by £1.0 billion in the month; net consumer credit lending rose by £0.5 billion.
UK Banks and Building Societies wrote-off £4.1 billion of loans to individuals over the four quarters to Q1 2013. In Q1 2013 itself they wrote-off £932 million (of which £385 million was credit card debt) amounting to a daily write-off of £10.21m"

It will all end in tears. 5% interest rates anyone? (Not that high, only normal)
Im not really sure what this has to do with my quoted comment to be honest? I didnt say people dont have debt.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
What do you find works best?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linotype
Just as Jimmy Goldsmith predicated on the Charlie Rose Show in 1994.
Barn door . . . Horse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQrz...e_gdata_player
Excellent interview. I'm reminded of something that was sent to me a few years back.

I grew up in a generation (I am 67) that used adjectives like First World, Second World, Third World, West and East, North and South, poor, rich, developed, under-developed, developing and more to describe their nations and others. They all have two things in common. First, they are no longer adequate or relevant to describe the world as it is today. Second, they were created by people living in formerly wealthy nations who considered themselves and their ways of life to be superior to others. How did they know they were superior? They knew because they were rich and the others were poor. It was all about money.

Today, many of these "rich" nations are drowning in a sea of debt of their own creation, often dependent on the willingness of the "poor" nations to lend them money so their economies do not collapse, but many still act as if they are superior. They have come up with some new terms. Two popular ones are "emerging economies" (or markets) and "advanced economies" (or markets). These terms will eventually die out too. New categories will be created, but they will be chosen by today's so-called "emerging economies", not just the self-anointed "advanced economies". Perhaps the one thread of continuity with our past will be that the terms chosen will again be all about money. That habit is simply human and knows no national boundaries.

I mention this often in my reports not as an insult to my home nation, the US, or any other formerly "First World" or "Second World" nation. They are all great nations in their own right, but they should no longer consider themselves superior simply on the basis of their past. They also have to come to grips with the present. Many "classes" of humanity understand this shift and have moved globally - the rich in search of comfort or security, the working poor in search of a job, criminals in general, terrorists in general, refugees in general. I think it can be argued that the "criminal class" is the most globalized class on earth as it shows absolutely no respect for national borders and never has.

Re: Debt. Regardless of whether one is debt free, other peoples/organisations debt can have an impact on your quality of life.

Apologies for going off topic a bit.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:10 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

As for the dog poop, carn't think that i have stood in any crap for years...Altho i see lots of very proud pooper scooper owners, armed with plastic bags carefully depositing said poop in the supplied bins....that are then collected by newly job created, for man in van ....They do say were theres sh...t theres money
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Excellent interview. I'm reminded of something that was sent to me a few years back.

I grew up in a generation (I am 67) that used adjectives like First World, Second World, Third World, West and East, North and South, poor, rich, developed, under-developed, developing and more to describe their nations and others. They all have two things in common. First, they are no longer adequate or relevant to describe the world as it is today. Second, they were created by people living in formerly wealthy nations who considered themselves and their ways of life to be superior to others. How did they know they were superior? They knew because they were rich and the others were poor. It was all about money.

Today, many of these "rich" nations are drowning in a sea of debt of their own creation, often dependent on the willingness of the "poor" nations to lend them money so their economies do not collapse, but many still act as if they are superior. They have come up with some new terms. Two popular ones are "emerging economies" (or markets) and "advanced economies" (or markets). These terms will eventually die out too. New categories will be created, but they will be chosen by today's so-called "emerging economies", not just the self-anointed "advanced economies". Perhaps the one thread of continuity with our past will be that the terms chosen will again be all about money. That habit is simply human and knows no national boundaries.

I mention this often in my reports not as an insult to my home nation, the US, or any other formerly "First World" or "Second World" nation. They are all great nations in their own right, but they should no longer consider themselves superior simply on the basis of their past. They also have to come to grips with the present. Many "classes" of humanity understand this shift and have moved globally - the rich in search of comfort or security, the working poor in search of a job, criminals in general, terrorists in general, refugees in general. I think it can be argued that the "criminal class" is the most globalized class on earth as it shows absolutely no respect for national borders and never has.

Re: Debt. Regardless of whether one is debt free, other peoples/organisations debt can have an impact on your quality of life.

Apologies for going off topic a bit.
I very broadly agree with this, however I don't believe for a moment the UK thinks of itself this way. I'm sure 'The Establishment' still has that attitude, but I have always believed a country is its people.

So very many of them just live life, but so many others particularly in the tabloid UK media, and on expat sites do not believe today that their country/country of origin-is 'superior'; rather to the contrary.

Italics: it is a bit dated isn't it? All of us seek comfort/security, even those who use whatever resource they can possibly get to pay unscrupulous people to achieve it for them.
The 'criminal class' are not international travellers in general. They see enough rich pickings in their own areas.
Perhaps you are referring to media tycoons and the like. Then I'd agree....

I understand your point, but I don't think it has the impact that you seem to believe. If it did, then everyone would have flow on debt. They don't.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:48 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I very broadly agree with this, however I don't believe for a moment the UK thinks of itself this way. I'm sure 'The Establishment' still has that attitude, but I have always believed a country is its people.

So very many of them just live life, but so many others particularly in the tabloid UK media, and on expat sites do not believe today that their country/country of origin-is 'superior'; rather to the contrary.

Italics: it is a bit dated isn't it? All of us seek comfort/security, even those who use whatever resource they can possibly get to pay unscrupulous people to achieve it for them.
The 'criminal class' are not international travellers in general. They see enough rich pickings in their own areas.

I understand your point, but I don't think it has the impact that you seem to believe. If it did, then everyone would have flow on debt. They don't.
Yes I agree, it is far more likely the British will consider themselves inferior as opposed to superior. I certainly see no evidence of a sense of superiority from the average man/woman in the street.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:45 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Totally agree and back to the crux of the mattter. From what I can see just like anywhere most people have a good comfortable life, are happy, go on holiday, nice cars blah blah blah. Of course there are those struggling, just like anywhere.
In middle Britain & other places I'm sure life goes on uninterrupted. The papers & other media will continually be telling everyone pointing blame at each successive government for all that is wrong - the debt, the immigrants taking jobs from locals or government waste, its officials caught spending or cheating or eating too many pasties & lets not forget the benefit cheats.

Nowhere it seems do you read things are better. Maybe its all the propaganda of doom & gloom.

From my visits over the past 46 years I have seen leaps & bounds in prosperity compared to the time I left... then again my eyes & ears are not as good as they were 46 years ago or is it simply Britain has become a welfare state.

Are the basic needs & necessities of today about greed (give me more, I want more) other than just having a roof over your head & three square meals a day. I suppose that's why those of us that emigrated 20+ years ago driven to believing we could get a better life rather than staying in the UK. Harold Wilson was a lovely little man as was Thatcher, Blair, Brown, the conlibs ......
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sans
As for the dog poop, carn't think that i have stood in any crap for years...Altho i see lots of very proud pooper scooper owners, armed with plastic bags carefully depositing said poop in the supplied bins....that are then collected by newly job created, for man in van ....They do say were theres sh...t theres money
You have just shattered my dreams! I was hoping to see some poopy trees on my return (Anglaiterii Caniae Excreterii)
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by not2old
In middle Britain & other places I'm sure life goes on uninterrupted. The papers & other media will continually be telling everyone pointing blame at each successive government for all that is wrong - the debt, the immigrants taking jobs from locals or government waste, its officials caught spending or cheating or eating too many pasties & lets not forget the benefit cheats.

Nowhere it seems do you read things are better. Maybe its all the propaganda of doom & gloom.

From my visits over the past 46 years I have seen leaps & bounds in prosperity compared to the time I left... then again my eyes & ears are not as good as they were 46 years ago or is it simply Britain has become a welfare state.

Are the basic needs & necessities of today about greed (give me more, I want more) other than just having a roof over your head & three square meals a day. I suppose that's why those of us that emigrated 20+ years ago driven to believing we could get a better life rather than staying in the UK. Harold Wilson was a lovely little man as was Thatcher, Blair, Brown, the conlibs......
Well put! Except....arrrrgggghhh!

(Red for Labour. Blue for Conservatives. I knows me' politicks!).
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:57 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Well put! Except....arrrrgggghhh!

(Red for Labour. Blue for Conservatives. I knows me' politicks!).
and I wont ask if you are red, white or blue . neutral is me
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

and I wont ask if you are red, white or blue . neutral is me
General philosophy-Left. Law and order-far Right.

(I think we have 'wandering mind syndrome'...we have gone off topic!)

Tucker time.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:35 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by martinw01908
"UK Debt Statistics from Credit Action
August 2013
UK Personal Debt
http://www.creditaction.org.uk/helpf...tatistics.html
Outstanding personal debt stood at £1.425 trillion at the end of June 2013.
This is up from £1.421 trillion at the end of June 2012. At the end of June 2013, individuals owed nearly as much as the entire country produced during the whole of 2012.
makes you wonder what it will be 10, 20, 30 years from now.

Could it be time to abandon the UK ship cos you cant blame the British public for all the problems - we/they just keep voting in the wrong government to ruin all that is British. Maybe folks can emigrate to America since they are already bankrupt or some other place away from doom & gloom Britain to make room for those of us ex-pats to come back home

Well something along those lines as the old saying goes 'Im alright jack'

Tough it out, stand proud & be like the British bull dog

Last edited by not2old; Aug 14th 2013 at 11:39 am.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:57 am
Banned

makes you wonder what it will be 10, 20, 30 years from now.

Could it be time to abandon the UK ship cos you cant blame the British public for all the problems - we/they just keep voting in the wrong government to ruin all that is British. Maybe folks can emigrate to America since they are already bankrupt or some other place away from doom & gloom Britain to make room for those of us ex-pats to come back home

Well something along those lines as the old saying goes 'Im alright jack'

Tough it out, stand proud & be like the British bull dog
The problem is personal debt is even worse in Australia so dont go there, America would be last on my list, NZ is very nice but all the same problems. Im happy for all the moaners to jump ship its just the list of desirable destinations is getting shorter and decidedly more foreign
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

The wealth and commercial gap between the established 'first world' countries and other countries is shrinking with standards of living falling in the west and rising in places like the BRIC's etc. The times they are a changing.

RE: Crime. We're not talking petty crime here. Think along the lines of the drug trade, sex slave trade, Yardies, Eastern Bloc criminal gangs, etc.

RE: Debt. Every debt caused by either bankruptcies, private & commercial, every non payment of tax, local or national, every interest payment paid by governments is imbedded into every thing you buy. From a loaf of bread to a four bedroom detached house.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Harold Wilson was a lovely little man as was Thatcher, Blair, Brown, the conlibs ......
what about John Major?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.