Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:36 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

The only thing the OP needs to know is the answer to the questionis NO.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The only thing the OP needs to know is the answer to the questionis NO.
Or Yes, depending on your opinion.

(Personally, I think the answer is No, it's not as bad as his relatives are painting - which was the original question way, way back)
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Serious question.

Is it better to have 300 people employed earning £12k per annum or 100 people employed earning £36k per annum?
With the choice only between those two options, then in my view the 300 people earning £12k. Although they're probably either underemployed or underpaid (or both), their skills and experience are being kept up to date.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
(Personally, I think the answer is No, it's not as bad as his relatives are painting - which was the original question way, way back)
Difficult to know for sure, as the OP was rather vague.

We don't know how old the kids are, as there was a question about their prospects. Also it's unclear exactly where they would return if they do - some places were mentioned as areas they were "looking at" (Post 6) but nothing specific within those areas (e.g. Scotland is a rather large area). At the moment, his wife is not working (Post 75) so if they go back and neither can find work then that would be a whole load worse - and that is not a pleasant situation to be in.

It would probably be better for the wife to go over on her own (or with the kids) and see if she can find work within a set amount of time - if so then maybe they all return, if not then head back to Australia.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
With the choice only between those two options, then in my view the 300 people earning £12k. Although they're probably either underemployed or underpaid (or both), their skills and experience are being kept up to date.
I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question as there are too many factors to weigh up that challenge each other. i.e. social benefits v. tax revenue.

Thanks for replying.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:06 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP still has the will to live check this site out, its a wonderful site.
http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked and the OP hasn't posted in almost 600 posts on this thread. I think he probably got his answer a long time ago. (Not that his absence should stop us continuing to argue the toss, er, I meant "debate the question", of course).
There are many threads that are still active where the OP hasn't posted in a while or has stopped posting altogether. That's just the way some threads evolve.

The best answer to the original question was given way back. " It depends."

A rather vague answer, but valid nonetheless.

It depends on wants and needs, on circumstances both social and financial and it depends on aspirations and concerns.

Personally, I wouldn't go back if I had children, if I had to find a job and if I had to have a mortgage.

My major concern would be if means testing for certain benefits of living in the UK started being introduced. mainly health care and pensions.

My aspirations would be no more than living, at least part of the year, in a place where I felt I belonged. Oh, and going to live footie games and watching sport that I understand with likeminded people, preferably in a pub with just one TV that switched off after the game.

Not much to ask for.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
If the OP still has the will to live check this site out, its a wonderful site.
http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/
Yet nothing to do with the economic situation of the UK, the topic of this thread.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:19 pm
Banned

Yep.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
There are many threads that are still active where the OP hasn't posted in a while or has stopped posting altogether. That's just the way some threads evolve.

The best answer to the original question was given way back. " It depends."

A rather vague answer, but valid nonetheless.

It depends on wants and needs, on circumstances both social and financial and it depends on aspirations and concerns.

Personally, I wouldn't go back if I had children, if I had to find a job and if I had to have a mortgage.

My major concern would be if means testing for certain benefits of living in the UK started being introduced. mainly health care and pensions.

My aspirations would be no more than living, at least part of the year, in a place where I felt I belonged. Oh, and going to live footie games and watching sport that I understand with likeminded people, preferably in a pub with just one TV that switched off after the game.

Not much to ask for.
Yes, I realised that ... I just thought it was funny (in both senses of the word) that this particular thread has gone on forever, when the OP and his original question have long since faded away.

It seems to be a very emotive topic, with people trying to "prove" their point whereas as you say (and made repeatedly) it is very much an "it depends" type of issue. However, if I recall the original post correctly, the relatives were essentially saying the UK is going to hell in a handbasket. Although for some people (including myself) moving to the UK is economically very challenging, I certainly don't think it's the Hell-hole depicted in the first post ... and there's always the safety net of the Nanny State if things go pear-shaped.

I'd rather be broke in the UK than in the US, put it that way.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I realised that ... I just thought it was funny (in both senses of the word) that this particular thread has gone on forever, when the OP and his original question have long since faded away.
Indeed. But otoh threads on a message board such as this are not only for the benefit of the OP of each thread. I've certainly found some of this thread informative (and some of it downright hilarious).

it seems to be a very emotive topic, with people trying to "prove" their point whereas as you say (and made repeatedly) it is very much an "it depends" type of issue.
I think that's true of the mbttuk forum as a whole. A lot of people have a need to "justify" their decisions and this forum seems to be one outlet for them.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:46 pm
Banned

Yes that is exactly the point of the thread, the idea that the UK was finished, down the toilet, no future blah, blah, blah. The obvious answer bearing that in mind is still clearly NO, it is not even close to being as bad as they made out.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:52 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Indeed. But otoh threads on a message board such as this are not only for the benefit of the OP of each thread. I've certainly found some of this thread informative (and some of it downright hilarious).

I think that's true of the mbttuk forum as a whole. A lot of people have a need to "justify" their decisions and this forum seems to be one outlet for them.
You've been on here for quite some time, like me ... I don't remember it being that way until the relatively recent past (maybe the past couple of years or so).*

Then again, back in 2002 when I first joined, BE was a very different place overall (much "smaller"/less active). I'm probably one of the very few that remembers Patrick (pagan sex god) - if you want to read some truly hilarious posts, dig up some of his old ones .... often very combative but pee your pants hilarious. I think he was threatened with being banned at least once a month!

* No, I am not having a dig at anyone in particular ...
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

He sounds like fun!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:01 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by jemima55
He sounds like fun!
I don't know if these are among his funny ones, but here are a handful of threads he started.

(possibly like old comedies, he may not be as funny as I remember .... )

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366826

("why my thread moved?")

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365310

("When did buying a car become so Horrid? ")

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360445

("I am a millionaire")

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356997

("How gay is your sphincter?")

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183878

("Dress to the left")

He would really p*ss some people off but at least he was usually entertaining ... quite unique.

Last edited by dunroving; Aug 23rd 2013 at 5:05 pm. Reason: Added thread titles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.