Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Aug 16th 2013, 6:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by not2old
I was in Australia for a period back in the 80's & here I was thinking Canada was the big wide open spaces. What amazes me about OZ is the fact that its so big with relatively low population the cost of running the infrastructure must be huge cost per person compared to the UK. Also the distribution of wealth by state must also be wide & varied. From family that live in OZ since 1970 they tell me life is grand, way better than living in the UK. The fact that the minimum wage is over $15/hr, some things are more expensive than the UK but their money I'm told goes further. The OZ GDP is approx $67k (42k GBP) which seems a decent amount. Then again the bank rate is high as is the mortgage rates. The OZ old age pension as well as support supplements also appear to be better than those in the UK?

I understand the grass is not always greener in other places (through rose tint glasses) - that people live their lives the way they want, may at times complain &/or compare to others & other places - but in the end its whats best for the individual. After all there are (and I don't know this for sure) more ex-pats still out there than have returned back to blighty in the past 25 years.

Don't know who came up with the phrase 'whinging pom', it seems to me it has a stigma about it
It always amuses me when I hear stories like this, if the family have been in Australia for 40 odd years how can they possbly know their life is 'way better than in the UK' . We are actually here and our life is easily as good as it was in Australia and in most important ways it is better. It must be remembered that for all sorts of reasons many expats wouldnt be able to return even if they wanted to. My own mother would sooner be here.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
It might take you awhile to settle back in, expecially if you have been away along time.
But if this is where you want to be,all you need is a big smile and a sense of humour.........
That is not a problem. It is now frozen on my face. Being where I didn't want to be resulted in the glassy smile! And for a number of reasons I have really needed a sense of humour!

New post: Yes Chris. I know how that view is probably going to be judged on this particular thread , but in fact it is a very simple logic,-how would they know?

.......letters from Aunty Ethel I suppose..

I wuz thinking about the bored and the sleepy.....you don't need to post do you? You could just do some knitting or something, perhaps warm milk for a good ni ni's?
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:16 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
It always amuses me when I hear stories like this, if the family have been in Australia for 40 odd years how can they possbly know their life is 'way better than in the UK' . We are actually here and our life is easily as good as it was in Australia and in most important ways it is better. It must be remembered that for all sorts of reasons many expats wouldn't be able to return even if they wanted to. My own mother would sooner be here.
it was a bit of pun that last post of mine, sort of a reality check. Different strokes for different folks, life goes on - just do whats best for you & your situation.

To add about that the family left the UK in the 70's for (at the time) seeking a better life of prospects, climate & wealth. A few years ago the said family returned (now retired) back to the UK after 30 uninterrupted years away (not even a holiday back) for two separate 6 month stays 2-years apart to see if they could settle. The result was they couldn't & returned 'home' to Australia.

Some folks on the threads are posting 'did they make the right decision to return back after 1, 2, 3 or within 10 year or how unsettled they are.To those 'you made the choice to leave, then return' - give it time, its not easy for everyone - some settle, some don't, some will ying-yang all their lives and moan how good, bad or indifferent each place is

In the old days we called it the $1000 dollar cure - God only knows how much it cost these days.

Now I must go & make a cuppa, put on the old gramophone (or whatever its called these days that people listen to music on) and blast Roger Whittaker singing the 'Last Farewell'. After that a brisk walk humming 'land of hope & glory'

Last edited by not2old; Aug 16th 2013 at 9:50 am.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

You cant have it both ways, you either save with lower mortgages or through higher interest rates for your savings. I think most people that are paying off a house would vote for lower mortgage rates.
Well of course they would. But those who didn't buy into the overpriced housing ponzi scheme are bailing out the borrowers - by the cut in interest on their savings!.. to the tune of billions
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Love love love Roger Whittaker..
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Love love love Roger Whittaker..
tomorrow for old England we sail........

how many of us can sing THAT without a lump in the throat?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

it really is the ex-pat song
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:26 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinw01908
Well of course they would. But those who didn't buy into the overpriced housing ponzi scheme are bailing out the borrowers - by the cut in interest on their savings!.. to the tune of billions
That Ponzi scheme is going to be kept alive for decades. Perhaps you should buy into it after all?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zen10
That Ponzi scheme is going to be kept alive for decades. Perhaps you should buy into it after all?
I wouldn't think decades, maybe they can prop it up until a rate rise is forced on them. When that will be is anyone's guess. They are creating the mother of all bubbles and the mother of all crashes with no money left to bail it out this time.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by martinw01908
I would agree that these countries all have high debt. Not every country looks like a basketcase and could in time, pay it back. Eire possibly by exit from the euro and re-issuing of punts and devaluation. I don't know what will save the UK after the housing bubble has been blown up again. Is there any money left for yet another bail out?
When do you think that bubble might burst? hope it is within the next 2 years! That would be perfect timing. Housing prices climbing here in the US and going down in the UK would be a perfect storm!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:27 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
When do you think that bubble might burst? hope it is within the next 2 years! That would be perfect timing. Housing prices climbing here in the US and going down in the UK would be a perfect storm!
Ditto Aus, with about up to a five year time-frame.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:07 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
For a long time I was a house price crash doomster, but now I have changed my opinion. Houses have been allowed to inflate to current levels to enrich the baby boomers via equity release schemes and BTL. This is because the governments cannot meet their pensions responsibility to them. If there is a crash, it will bring a catastrophe without precedent because of the levels of debt involved. If you don't think they can keep IRs suppressed for a long time then I would direct you to Japan where they've been running a ZIRP for nearly 20 years. British rates went down to near ZIRP in 2009, and Australia presumably will join it in the next year or so. If they follow Japan's model rates will be 0.5% until at least 2030.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP some good news coming out of the UK recently, unemployment trending down, GDP to rise, return of confidence in the manufacturing sector.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP some good news coming out of the UK recently, unemployment trending down, GDP to rise, return of confidence in the manufacturing sector.
I have to admit, it's this kind of news on which I will hang my hat, Chris!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I have to admit, it's this kind of news on which I will hang my hat, Chris!
Well its something tangible, that is what people want to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.