Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is it so bad ? 17 million watched "Strictly Come Dancing" ! Brainwashing, bread and circuses have WORKED !
Old Nov 25th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Jeff Randall talking sense again...........
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...tion-ploy.html
Yes.
I'm surprised to see it in the Telegraph of all places. But yes, he is talking sense. We don't need financial incentives to subsidise buyers. We need incentives to build more homes.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Yes.
I'm surprised to see it in the Telegraph of all places. But yes, he is talking sense. We don't need financial incentives to subsidise buyers. We need incentives to build more homes.
We certainly do not need more incentives - there are plenty in place already. It is all the back door (pardon the pun) taxes and regulations that constrain development.

What we do need is more land.
The population of the UK has grown to 64 million officially 70 million on some estimates, and is forecast to grow a further 10 million (or even 15 million) over the next twenty. The housing stock was planned for a population of no more than 55 million. In the last week, I have seen people renting out (obviously on the black) their lofts, (unconverted), garden sheds - and even a car!

Assuming 3 people per household on average there is probably a shortfall of 2 or 3 million houses, and a future shortfall of similar proportions. But just listen to the furore when Nick Boles suggest building on farmland, or on the green Belt.
But there is no means of building that many houses by infilling peoples gardens, and on old petrol stations. Nearly all the big brownfield sites are gone.
If people would just realise that when they oppose somebody building next door to them, it is somebody else's son or daughter who is then forced to stay at home into their 30s and 40s, sleep on sofas, or in sheds
Old Nov 27th 2013, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I would imagine my interpretation of crap is much the same as anyone elses.
I've no doubt that you are an expert in crap mate

But to try to stay on track.....which Australian highways do you consider to be below your high standards and why ?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 8:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Pot...kettle
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Pot...kettle
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino

But to try to stay on track.....which Australian highways do you consider to be below your high standards and why ?
Don't know about Australia, but the roads are generally awful around here, and after rain big holes appear.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:08 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
We certainly do not need more incentives - there are plenty in place already. It is all the back door (pardon the pun) taxes and regulations that constrain development.

What we do need is more land.
The population of the UK has grown to 64 million officially 70 million on some estimates, and is forecast to grow a further 10 million (or even 15 million) over the next twenty. The housing stock was planned for a population of no more than 55 million. In the last week, I have seen people renting out (obviously on the black) their lofts, (unconverted), garden sheds - and even a car!

Assuming 3 people per household on average there is probably a shortfall of 2 or 3 million houses, and a future shortfall of similar proportions. But just listen to the furore when Nick Boles suggest building on farmland, or on the green Belt.
But there is no means of building that many houses by infilling peoples gardens, and on old petrol stations. Nearly all the big brownfield sites are gone.
If people would just realise that when they oppose somebody building next door to them, it is somebody else's son or daughter who is then forced to stay at home into their 30s and 40s, sleep on sofas, or in sheds
It amazes me how many houses for sale are already empty in the agents photos, sometimes for years, coupled with barn conversions for holiday use only, plus all the people that are facing eviction from mobile home sites that don't have residential use, and the houses with 50-75% shares (who's making money here), and the 'local people only' that don't get sold, and the agricultural restrictions - I've seen some of those for sale for years - an agricultural worker doesn't want it, so lift the restriction! Plus the holiday-only chalets and bungalows that are on the books for months if not years. Let the holiday properties be residential, and let holiday makers pay for B&B, hotels or camping - better for the economy surely? Where will the next Milton Keynes be? Yes I know I'm not moving back, but it still saddens me to see new estates springing up everywhere - one reason I wouldn't move back. Here at least I'll probably be past caring by the time it happens. There's a distinct shortage of one bedroom properties, in these days of smaller families and single people. And barn conversions with communal gardens - does anyone here want a communal garden? Where do you put the dog? Do you think that landlords tie up too many properties?
More money should be spent on parking facilities for existing properties - I've seen a lot of lovely houses that just won't sell as there's nowhere to park - fine if you want to catch the bus everywhere, but not much good if you want to take your dog up into the steadily diminishing hills.
What happens when there is no more space left? The UK already imports a lot of food - I seem to remember a map which showed the capability of a country to be self-sufficient. France is, the UK isn't.
I'm so glad I sold up and left - HS2 is going right through the middle of some stables we put up, about 100yds from the house. NIMBY? You bet! Lets see Chequers converted to flats.

Last edited by Harvester523; Nov 27th 2013 at 7:09 pm. Reason: smelling pistake
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:41 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting back to the original question.."is the uk really that bad"
Now living in Germany for many years, bringing my 4 kids up here,
After travelling around , working, in other countries, being able
to x-ref with other expats....yes the standards, have gone down,
And some places have become worse.
7 questions we put on the table, also with holland and French, Britexpats.
Would you prefer to be in Uk, or still expat ( from 8 people )
1) Need hospital....expat
2) Education...........expat
3) out of work.........expat ( 5 qualified, 3 un/semi qualified people)
4) standard o.liv.....expat
5) feeling safe/crime...expat (this said, we all agreed all big cities carry there fear)
Plus all of us ,men and women come from an assortment of lifestyles
6)Em/immigation, everyone said..'hey we're also foreigners...not a point.'
Though to a man/women, Benifits in all counties should be better managed.
A general question for preference, no matter where people would decide to live
7) should students pay towards uni...here we had a mixed bag split 4/4, but
Again 6/1 against the UK scheme, but a slippery subject.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
We need to start living up to the ECHR and stop doing the things that cause us problems with it. It does not, as many suggest, prevent deporting undesirable non-citizens.
Really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...an-rights.html
Old Nov 28th 2013, 7:40 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't know about Australia, but the roads are generally awful around here, and after rain big holes appear.
We we saw the same thing in Australia, especially up in Queensland where it really rains whole sections of roads and bridges would disappear.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We we saw the same thing in Australia, especially up in Queensland where it really rains whole sections of roads and bridges would disappear.
Newsflash : Roads washed away in storms shock. Australians blame God for sending too much rain.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Newsflash : Roads washed away in storms shock. Australians blame God for sending too much rain.
Does God get the blame for all the potholes as well then?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Does God get the blame for all the potholes as well then?
I'm from East Manchester and you're from Derbyshire. Are you trying to claim that there are no potholes in the roads in that part of the world?
That's not how I remember them and if you're being honest I doubt you remember them like that either. As a refresher....

http://www.potholes.co.uk/
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:44 am
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the situation that bad....yes
I dont compare one country with another.
In 60 yrs the repair, promises have not been realised
English towns and its capital, have fell into ruin.
We stopped building houses
We never invested in small businesses, when needed
We stopped apprenticeships.

The education was sold out by being used as political offel.
The British Entrepreneur has been ignored and not supported
The working class, and lower middle class education is pathetically poor.
The British executives and directors have, been allowed to be selfcentered.

The backbenchers seemed not to have the stabling influence as before.
The richer, have got richer, to the detrement of all basic services..
This should be modern 2010 ad..more like 2010bc.
The social and benifit system is being managed by incompetents.
Imm/emmigration would be ok, but again poorly managed.

Its just we cant organise ' a p#ss up at a brewery'..an ' orgy at a brothel'
We can damn well use them..but organise or manage...!!!

But saying that, I still love my fish N chips....and a bit of pork pie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.