Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL
We had a balcony room. We were able to stow 3 of our cases underneath the bed. The other two we stowed behind the curtains at the door that led out to the balcony, and then we put the remaining piece of luggage next to the desk. We still had plenty of room.

Easier to stow standard "soft" luggage than the more bulky, hard luggage - which was what we had.

Hope this helps!
Thanks that is very helpful.

Amanda
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Wow Rodney you did it all in one day!!
I'm really impressed, I'm useless past 90 and hide out in the A/C.
I bet the locals will get wind of the dumpsters full of stuff and it'll get riffled though and lot will be hauled away for use and sale by dumpster divers.
Here if you have something good they put it at the front of the driveway or house and put a sign on "Free" and it's gone in no time.
Hi Mummy,
Thanks, yes I also hate the heat here in Vegas, you never get used to it, I too like to hide in the A/C in the summer months, thank goodness I work inside with A/C
Rodney.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Lara,
You said you surrended your UK license. Where did you surrender it?
I would inquire as to your original UK license be reissued because I think they are good for life? That would avoid a lot of pain. I would say you don't have your license and could they replace it?

Fish and Chips,
I heard the same thing about riding first class on BMI. The person said her daughter was an employee so she was able to ride first class.
It would be interesting to find out which US cities they fly out of if any.
Hello cheers,
Thats very interesting about the UK licence, I have also been told before that the licence is good for life,
Now I passed my driving test when I was a teenager, back in UK, when I emigrated I brought it with me Im sure, but over the years I dont know what happened to it, I dont have the old one anymore, but maybe when I go back I can maybe just say that I lost my licence and could I get it replaced and see what they say, but Im thinking that as its been 36 years since I drove a car in UK probably they will say that I would have to pass another driving test,
What do you think?
Rodney.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
The only time I will have to take the test is if I wish to drive a manual transmission car. Other than that I just went to the office in Glasgow and gave them the picture, my passport, £50 and the filled in paperwork, I received the licence back in the mail 2 weeks later. I don't think I will take the test for the manual will just have to look for a automatic car when I can purchase.
Hi Pegie,
Thanks for the good wishes on my garage accomplisment,
I have a question on the UK licence thing, now you came from Canada so I understand that the UK has an agrement with Canada, so I guess as you say you just had to go to the office give them your pictures and show your passport and filled out your paperwork and you got your new UK driving licence quite quickly and without taking a driving test,

But as I am coming from the USA that special agrement would not apply to me would it?
I lived in Canada though for 3 years before I came to US, and I had a driving licence there, oh I wish I could find my old licence from Canada maybe if I had that even though it would be expired ---- maybe that would help me get a UK licence without passing a driving test,
Rodney.
PS I still have my landed Immigrant card though from Canada I wonder if I could just show them that and my UK passport, ---- hmmm just thought of that, what do you think Pegie,
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
YAY! Now that psychological weight is off your shoulders, you will be truly ready to set off home. Nothing of the past weighing you down - everything is in the future now

I am so impressed that you did all that work in 112 degree-heat. I can't even go for a walk here when it gets over 85 degrees! Kudos to you and I hope you enjoyed those drinks!
Hello sallysimmons,
Yes your right not much stuff from the past weighing me down now, but I still have to sell my furniture though, the young couple from work fell through --- they were going to buy most of it but now dont want it,
I think I will contact this furniture shop here that advertise and they say they buy your furniture, they probably wont give me much for it though, but I dont care, I just want it all out of my apartment, and if I can get it all out in one go that will be great,

Islandwoman, in regards to you trying to sell your car, well fish gave you good advice, as he said carmax is just a car dealer, so you could take it into any dealership and they will buy it from you,
a couple of weeks ago I took my car into carmax and got a quote of $2,500
so at least I now have an Idea what I could get for it if I sell it wholesale,
A Lady at work is very interested in buying my car, I drove her home a few nights ago, and she loves it, --- trouble is she dont have the cash money right now, but said she is willing to buy it for $3,000
In this economy right now and with money very scarce I think it will be hard for us to sell our car privately, I dont like the Idea of craigslist, so I will take fish advice and start going around car dealerships and get a good Idea of how much I can get for it when the time comes for me to let it go, probably Im thinking two weeks before I leave to go back home, but this is the time when we need to get a firm offer from someplace,
Good luck,
Rodney.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, Rodney am proud of you clearing that garage out in that heat like someone else said there's no way I could work in such
fierce heat would just like to share a little story with you all. I wonder if any of you have ever seen Father Ted or The Quiet Man? If you have'nt you may not get this story but here goes. Driving down to Cork on Saturday, we needed petrol, so got off motorway to a little town, but could'nt see the petrol station. We noticed 3 young lads having a pint outside the local pub, so went to ask them where the petrol station was. 1st lad, (with the broad father ted/ barry fitzgersald accent) "well now let me see so..... if you turn round go along that road , round there...2nd lad looking at him as if he had gone mad "no you don't" 1st lad "yes you do so" "no you don't" 1st lad "well you tell them then where do you go" the 2nd lad told us, as as we drove away the two of them were still arguing when we got our petrol, and returned to get on the motorway again, there they were still arguing, but stopped to bend down and wave at us through the car window, before arguing again It was so funny, but you have to imagine the accent, my husband and I laughed so much we nearly went off the road. Priceless
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
we got our petrol, and returned to get on the motorway again, there they were still arguing, but stopped to bend down and wave at us through the car window, before arguing again It was so funny, but you have to imagine the accent, my husband and I laughed so much we nearly went off the road. Priceless
That is almost unbelievable.
Which is worst going off the road or wetting your pants?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello sallysimmons,

Islandwoman, in regards to you trying to sell your car, well fish gave you good advice, as he said carmax is just a car dealer, so you could take it i
In this economy right now and with money very scarce I think it will be hard for us to sell our car privately, so I will take fish advice and start going around car dealerships and get a good Idea of how much I can get for it when the time comes for me to let it go, probably Im thinking two weeks before I leave to go back home, but this is the time when we need to get a firm offer from someplace,
Good luck,
Rodney.
We need on here a section called "classified"
I know people in Las Vegas and if you could describe your car and also the furniture I could pas the word along
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pegie,
I have a question on the UK licence thing, now you came from Canada so I understand that the UK has an agrement with Canada, so I guess as you say you just had to go to the office give them your pictures and show your passport and filled out your paperwork and you got your new UK driving licence quite quickly and without taking a driving test,

But as I am coming from the USA that special agrement would not apply to me would it?
I lived in Canada though for 3 years before I came to US, and I had a driving licence there, oh I wish I could find my old licence from Canada maybe if I had that even though it would be expired ---- maybe that would help me get a UK licence without passing a driving test,
Rodney.
PS I still have my landed Immigrant card though from Canada I wonder if I could just show them that and my UK passport, ---- hmmm just thought of that, what do you think Pegie,
Not sure if there is an agreement with US or not. If you go on th government site it will tell what countries have that agreement with. You might be able to get the one back that you had in the uK though, there is a part on the form that asks if you had a UK licence before.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
DDL, Denise 2, glad to hear that everything is still going well, especially well done on the car!
Bluenose thanks for your input...... I dont think i will be able to ever afford a car when I get back there to live but there is a great bus service in my home city.......and after living in the middle of no where for 13 years where there are no buses, no taxis then even a bad service will be fine with me.....

Aw islandwoman, rodney knows we are just having fun with him although........only that garage sale for new tenants is looking a possibilty...
Hi Charleygirl, what date is it you go home? I know it is coming up soon, so have a great time and let us all know how you get on, as someone else on here said, I think it was Rodney, we are all in this together, good and bad, it was reading all your posts, that really helped me too, and sometimes family are too close to the situation to be objective, and thats what I found the most helpfull here, without anyone patronising me, or making me feel stupid or foolish, I was given advise, of just food for thought, and I thank you all for that, because I believe you saved my sanity and thats not being melodramatic, I really thought I had lost it Thanks to all of you you made me look at what really was important to me), so charleygirl we are here for you and whatever decisions you make I really am hoping things work out for you regardless of what your final decision is, we are rooting for you Trottytrue, how are you? we have'nt heard from you in a while, hope all is going well for you, it was a great thread you started here, so I hope you are keeping ok, let us know how you are (irish Denise) would it be easier if we signed something like this so people know who we are?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Or going off the road because you wet your pants
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

you took the words right out of my mouth, but i was trying to be polite but I swear I nearly did pee my pants its time like these I would love a camcorder, and send it into candid camera as they say "only in Ireland" I love it
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:10 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pegie,

Rodney.
You can drive for 12months on your US license, Ds is doing that right now while getting ready to take his UK drivers test. Theres no agreement to trade in his US one for UK one.
Your old license should still be valid till you are 70, so you probably only have to send off for a new picture one at your Moms address. I'll be doing that. Mine has my Moms present address on already.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi everyone, Rodney am proud of you clearing that garage out in that heat like someone else said there's no way I could work in such
fierce heat would just like to share a little story with you all. I wonder if any of you have ever seen Father Ted or The Quiet Man? If you have'nt you may not get this story but here goes. Driving down to Cork on Saturday, we needed petrol, so got off motorway to a little town, but could'nt see the petrol station. We noticed 3 young lads having a pint outside the local pub, so went to ask them where the petrol station was. 1st lad, (with the broad father ted/ barry fitzgersald accent) "well now let me see so..... if you turn round go along that road , round there...2nd lad looking at him as if he had gone mad "no you don't" 1st lad "yes you do so" "no you don't" 1st lad "well you tell them then where do you go" the 2nd lad told us, as as we drove away the two of them were still arguing when we got our petrol, and returned to get on the motorway again, there they were still arguing, but stopped to bend down and wave at us through the car window, before arguing again It was so funny, but you have to imagine the accent, my husband and I laughed so much we nearly went off the road. Priceless
Oh yes Denise that story was really funny, and I can actually picture the whole thing there in Cork with you and hubby and the lads arguing, I havent seen or know about those two TV programs though,
Yes its a great feeling to have my garage all cleared out finally, but it was hard and I was sweating like a wee pig onk onk all day for 10 hours straight,
today though My arms are really aching with all the heavy lifting of all the trips to the dumpster,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

We need on here a section called "classified"
I know people in Las Vegas and if you could describe your car and also the furniture I could pas the word along
Hello cheers,
Well thats nice of you to offer to pass my info on to people that you know in Vegas, thanks,
Well the car is a Hyandi accent, 2004, automatic, four door sedan, 42k miles, very well looked after by me the only owner, power everything, --- windows,door locks,
mirrors, ---- great working A/C & heater, am/fm plus cd player, 6 good sounding speakers, upholstery good, and bodywork good, light blue, very good on gas,
queen size Sofa bed with matching love seat, 12 years old but like new condition,
Kitchen table & four chairs, good condition,
Well thats about it, other stuff I will just probably give away,
Take care,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Aug 24th 2010 at 11:41 am. Reason: misspell word

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.