Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:38 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Did you open your account from the USA or before you left the UK?
opened it here about a year ago
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

[QUOTE=jasper123;8814633]m

Hello trotty/Avril
HA HA HA ----- Oh yes you are in great form today, now all this is so
Now she also said that the faggots that she buys in the supermarkets over there now are called (Brain Faggots) --- dont know why

' Well Rodney - Slight Error there! They are called ''Brain's Faggots'' Brains, being the company that make them! - They are indeed always superb. But in Wellington Shropshire Market, which is a huge indoor market, held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays - A very good friend of mine, A butcher, sells fresh faggots, encased individually in ''Kell'' (somepart of a Sheep's innards) His name is Chas, and the faggots are created locally.--he also sells everything else you could want - such as homemade Cheese, fresh boiled Hocks, three or more kinds of sausages, Haslet, Boiled Ham, and Roast Ham, off the bone,and of course Tongue. --- Oh! and I almost forgot - Pork Scratchings! dontheturner
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Quote from Cheers...It is interesting to me that you can get your senior discount card when you arrive at Heathrow. How convienent! You may want to confirm this if you plan to do it...

How do you arrange that?
Basically you go to the train ticket window and have your identification with you that will show you are over 60 and de money and your good to go.

Now your going to make look it up.

Go to National Rail Enquiries on the internet and ask Lisa on the chat box.

Here is what I just found out.

At a staffed station ticket office
You can buy your Railcard at a staffed station ticket office or National Rail-licensed Travel Agent. You can do this on the day you are travelling. To save time, it’s a good idea to fill in the application form before you get there.

Download the form
Verifying your identity
If you're applying for the first time you'll need to bring:

Either your birth certificate
Or your passport
Or your driving licence
Other essentials
You'll also need:

£26. Stations and agents accept cash, cheques, debit, credit and charge cards.
If renewing your Railcard, you will need to fill in the application form, and take your exisiting Railcard. This is automatically accepted as proof of your age.

We’re sorry but Railcards can’t usually be bought at stations operated by London Underground but which also service some National Rail routes. The exceptions are: Harrow & Wealdstone, Kenton, South Kenton, North Wembley, Wembley Central, Stonebridge Park, Harlesden, Kensal Green Queens Park, Gunnersbury and Kew Gardens.

Last edited by cheers; Aug 31st 2010 at 3:05 pm. Reason: Additional information became available
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Boodles...Now you did it another book to add to my library. I made a list last night of all the books I bought over the past year and have not had time to read. I am ashamed to say its way too long. But just looking at them gets me excited All the cleaning and work on the house has put me way behind in reading and unlike a few years ago I could get into bed and read for an hour without falling asleep. Now I read one page and I am falling asleep. Another problem is I have a varied selection of books on all subjects so when a new one is released I have to buy it. I really should stop visiting Amazon.

Charleygirl..When are we going to get together.

dontheturner....Alright enough. I was almost out the door and on a plane to visit your butcher. Nothing like that in the US. I loved visiting the markets when I lived in UK. Nothing quite like it. Ham off the bone I have dreamt of that for years. Here we get plastic ham. Faggots they sound like the best. See you've got me drueling again
Speaking of cheese thats another thing they cannot make in the US. My mother one year decided to send me one of those small round cheeses. Unfotunately she did it during the hight of the summer in the US. When it arrived the postman came to my door and handed me a very stained and smelly box. When I opened it there was a rancid cheese. It smelled to high heaven. I almost cried.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Boodles...Now you did it another book to add to my library. I made a list last night of all the books I bought over the past year and have not had time to read. I am ashamed to say its way too long. But just looking at them gets me excited All the cleaning and work on the house has put me way behind in reading and unlike a few years ago I could get into bed and read for an hour without falling asleep. Now I read one page and I am falling asleep. Another problem is I have a varied selection of books on all subjects so when a new one is released I have to buy it. I really should stop visiting Amazon.

Charleygirl..When are we going to get together.

dontheturner....Alright enough. I was almost out the door and on a plane to visit your butcher. Nothing like that in the US. I loved visiting the markets when I lived in UK. Nothing quite like it. Ham off the bone I have dreamt of that for years. Here we get plastic ham. Faggots they sound like the best. See you've got me drueling again
Speaking of cheese thats another thing they cannot make in the US. My mother one year decided to send me one of those small round cheeses. Unfotunately she did it during the hight of the summer in the US. When it arrived the postman came to my door and handed me a very stained and smelly box. When I opened it there was a rancid cheese. It smelled to high heaven. I almost cried.
Costco sell a fab mature white Irish Cheddar...can't remember the name but it's in a black wrapper. It's not the rubbery Cheddar...it's quite crumbly like Cheshire cheese and very tangy.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney thats the difference between men and women.. It would take us hours and hours to decide what to keep and what to donate. We also go by sizes. What fits now what might fit in a couple of months whats to small and so on. Then there's the shoes.
Hi trotty,
Yes your definitely right there with what you say ------ thats the difference between Men & Women, So I just had a thought --- this is what you need to do, If she is married then ask the hubby to do it and give him full permission to just chuck everything away regarding your clothes that (HE) dont like you wearing
Or if she is single she could ask her Brother or best male friend to do it, and just give him the details of your (now) sizes of your shoes,pants,jeans and everything else, and then he can go through everything and just keep everything that is in your size ----- (AND) only the stuff (HE) likes
The end result may not be perfect but at least it will be done at (WARP star ship enterprise speed,
But seriously about the sizes of our clothes when we go through them, this is to me the biggest problem, like yesterday when I was clearing out my closet I probably had close to as many clothes to go through as most Women ---- except for shoes though, I think Women have a whole lot more of shoes then us Guys do, so as I was going through all my slacks & jeans I found that I had a multitude of them in waist sizes that I havent been at for many many years --- they were so old but most were in still pretty good nick,
But hey I found that a lot were 32 inch waist, some were even 30 inch waist, and others 34 inch waist,
I only fit comfortably in 36 inch waist now and I only had three pair of jeans and five pair of slacks that were my (NOW) size, and so I thought like a lot of (women) think --- and I said to myself Hmmmm do I think I will ever get into these jeans again and if so I wonder how long it will be before that (MAY) happen, then I said NO WAY !!!! TOSS EM OUT,
I can always buy more when I get home --- later --- much later if and when I get to look like I was when I was in my 20,s 30,s & 40,s (NOT)
Hey good luck to all of us Men or Women who are trying to sort through all our clothes and everything else,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dontheturner;8815978]
Originally Posted by jasper123
m

Hello trotty/Avril
HA HA HA ----- Oh yes you are in great form today, now all this is so
Now she also said that the faggots that she buys in the supermarkets over there now are called (Brain Faggots) --- dont know why

' Well Rodney - Slight Error there! They are called ''Brain's Faggots'' Brains, being the company that make them! - They are indeed always superb. But in Wellington Shropshire Market, which is a huge indoor market, held on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays - A very good friend of mine, A butcher, sells fresh faggots, encased individually in ''Kell'' (somepart of a Sheep's innards) His name is Chas, and the faggots are created locally.--he also sells everything else you could want - such as homemade Cheese, fresh boiled Hocks, three or more kinds of sausages, Haslet, Boiled Ham, and Roast Ham, off the bone,and of course Tongue. --- Oh! and I almost forgot - Pork Scratchings! dontheturner
Thanks Don for clearing that up about the Faggots, so now I can enjoy them the same way as I did when I bought them at the faggot shops years & years ago, (now I know there not made of brains
Now this indoor market sounds great, especially your Butcher friend, wish we had a butcher like that in Portsmouth, we may have though but dont know,
My Mum always goes to her favorite butcher shop and they do make there own homemade big plump sausages at there store, Hmmmm lovely, cant wait to dig into some sausages & mash, --- love it !!!!
Rodney.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Basically you go to the train ticket window and have your identification with you that will show you are over 60 and de money and your good to go.

Now your going to make look it up.

Go to National Rail Enquiries on the internet and ask Lisa on the chat box.

Here is what I just found out.

At a staffed station ticket office
You can buy your Railcard at a staffed station ticket office or National Rail-licensed Travel Agent. You can do this on the day you are travelling. To save time, it’s a good idea to fill in the application form before you get there.

Download the form
Verifying your identity
If you're applying for the first time you'll need to bring:

Either your birth certificate
Or your passport
Or your driving licence
Other essentials
You'll also need:

£26. Stations and agents accept cash, cheques, debit, credit and charge cards.
If renewing your Railcard, you will need to fill in the application form, and take your exisiting Railcard. This is automatically accepted as proof of your age.

We’re sorry but Railcards can’t usually be bought at stations operated by London Underground but which also service some National Rail routes. The exceptions are: Harrow & Wealdstone, Kenton, South Kenton, North Wembley, Wembley Central, Stonebridge Park, Harlesden, Kensal Green Queens Park, Gunnersbury and Kew Gardens.
Is that at 60, or 65? Bus passes are 60, I think(?)
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

Thanks Don for clearing that up about the Faggots, so now I can enjoy them the same way as I did when I bought them at the faggot shops years & years ago, (now I know there not made of brains
Some of these posts need a warning for people like me: vegetarians don't read here without a bucket nearby!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is that at 60, or 65? Bus passes are 60, I think(?)
60. see here:

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/

Last edited by cheers; Aug 31st 2010 at 7:35 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:53 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Costco sell a fab mature white Irish Cheddar...can't remember the name but it's in a black wrapper. It's not the rubbery Cheddar...it's quite crumbly like Cheshire cheese and very tangy.
Are you referring to Balderson cheese (distributed in USA and Canada). The 2-year old is my favourite. It is available at our local supermarkets but is far cheaper to buy at Costco

http://www.cheese.ca/en/cheddar.asp?cate=Premium Aged
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Trader Joes has Dubliner cheddar cheese good a sharp.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Thanky you Cheers for the information. But now I am a little confused, I thought that senior citizens could get some kind of card which allowed them to travel on the public transport for free. Is this not the case now? Elizabeth
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Thanky you Cheers for the information. But now I am a little confused, I thought that senior citizens could get some kind of card which allowed them to travel on the public transport for free. Is this not the case now? Elizabeth
Free for bus, discount on train, if I'm understanding correctly.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
opened it here about a year ago
Are you able to use it in the UK? Which bank? Sorry, I don't haveva clue howvto start :0(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.