British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-60s-moving-back-uk-629454/)

trottytrue Sep 6th 2009 9:21 pm

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

This is the new thread for all us oldies moving back. Those who have moved back and those who do in the near future can leave information that might help the rest of us on our new venture.:)

I am 66 and was supposed to moved back 10years ago but got derailed by one thing and another. Sometimes I think I have left it to late but I will do it.

I have worked in nursing home where many pensioners end up either because they can no longer cope on their own and relatives live to far away to be of help. What I mean by can no longer cope is they could no longer drive some became housebound and fell into depression. Once in a nursing home its almost impossible for them to get out without the help of a relative. I never want to end up like that.

Leaving it too long. I had a friend who wanted to move back home but kept putting it off. When she got into her 70's she felt that the upheavel would just be too much for her. She had no family close and those who she thought would welcome her into their homes did no such thing. Shen ended up in a nurising home and went down hill really quickly.

dunroving Sep 6th 2009 9:27 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 7909561)
This is the new thread for all us oldies moving back. Those who have moved back and those who do in the near future can leave information that might help the rest of us on our new venture.:)

I am 66 and was supposed to moved back 10years ago but got derailed by one thing and another. Sometimes I think I have left it to late but I will do it.

I have worked in nursing home where many pensioners end up either because they can no longer cope on their own and relatives live to far away to be of help. What I mean by can no longer cope is they could no longer drive some became housebound and fell into depression. Once in a nursing home its almost impossible for them to get out without the help of a relative. I never want to end up like that.

Leaving it too long. I had a friend who wanted to move back home but kept putting it off. When she got into her 70's she felt that the upheavel would just be too much for her. She had no family close and those who she thought would welcome her into their homes did no such thing. Shen ended up in a nurising home and went down hill really quickly.

Thanks for starting this thread ... I'm just about to log off (us oldies need our sleep!) but look forward to reading the replies and will post some of my own experiences when I get back from work tomorrow.

aes1 Sep 6th 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7909572)
Thanks for starting this thread ... I'm just about to log off (us oldies need our sleep!) but look forward to reading the replies and will post some of my own experiences when I get back from work tomorrow.

Great!!!! Thanks for starting this!!!! Just posted on the other one before I found out, but not to worry, we middlies and oldies often repeat ourselves:)My father passed away in the UK in 2006, the last time I was over there. He was in a nursing home, it was very depressing, and I too said I didn't want to end up like that. I am only 58 and THINK I have a long time left. Anyway, I don't believe he minded it too much because he already had some dementia, and probably didn't realize everything that was going on. He was alone, friends already dead, or in the same state he was, and yes, it sucks. But unfortunately I think this is a generation thing, it seems to be happening more and more as we all spread out further in the world and lose that sense of family unit that is still so prevalent in Asia. Maybe we should all be thinking about moving to Japan??:) My bottom line is, don't know how long I have left of this life, but I am going to make the most of it. I don't believe in mistakes, just decisions that were right at the time I made them and that I can learn from. If this next one to move back to Europe turns out to be different from what I thought, so be it, I will focus on finding something positive in it and not dwell on the inevitable negative there is in everything that happens. Yin and Yang. As long as I am of sound mind, I will venture forth....to boldly go where no man..........etc etc:D

Mummy in the foothills Sep 6th 2009 10:11 pm

Well I haven't reached 50 yet, but we've been here a long time. I too am a nurse, I have worked in nursing homes in the past. I don't want to end up in one. But if I do I want it to be a UK one where I'll at least get a good cup of tea. The slop they passed for food and the tepid water with a tea bag floating in it were appalling. I'd die very quickly in depression if I ended up there. Bloody scary isn't it.
So can I join?
I've only 3 years to go till 50 and that is supposed to be our year to move. Ds will graduate high school that year.

Bevm Sep 6th 2009 10:17 pm

I agree with the making the most of life. It's one reason we got up and did something. We're in our early sixties, but we'll be in our seventies faster than we think and none of us can tell when we'll slow down, become more nervous, or develop health problems that really get in the way. Now's probably the best time we'll ever have for making changes, having adventures, taking some risks. So we are.

We're not looking for family to care for us -- what family we have in the UK is mostly older! Just enjoying life as best we can.

Bev

aes1 Sep 6th 2009 10:30 pm

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 7909670)
I agree with the making the most of life. It's one reason we got up and did something. We're in our early sixties, but we'll be in our seventies faster than we think and none of us can tell when we'll slow down, become more nervous, or develop health problems that really get in the way. Now's probably the best time we'll ever have for making changes, having adventures, taking some risks. So we are.

We're not looking for family to care for us -- what family we have in the UK is mostly older! Just enjoying life as best we can.

Bev

Here's to enjoying life as much as we can for as long as we can!!! :thumbsup::thumbup::D:lol::beer::drinkwine::cake:

aes1 Sep 6th 2009 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7909658)
Well I haven't reached 50 yet, but we've been here a long time. I too am a nurse, I have worked in nursing homes in the past. I don't want to end up in one. But if I do I want it to be a UK one where I'll at least get a good cup of tea. The slop they passed for food and the tepid water with a tea bag floating in it were appalling. I'd die very quickly in depression if I ended up there. Bloody scary isn't it.
So can I join?
I've only 3 years to go till 50 and that is supposed to be our year to move. Ds will graduate high school that year.

Come on in, you deserve it!!! :D

magistrate Sep 6th 2009 11:03 pm

Hi again .I researched a lot of holiday rentals in the uk and looked at their availablity charts for rentals in winter ,then called them to try and negotiate a deal that included utility costs etc .I eventually got a one bedroom apartment next to a farmhouse in devon and as I am a country girl looking forward to it .
My biggest problem over here in the States are my 2 rescue cats ,all the animal services refuse to take them as they are overloaded with animals being dumped by people leaving their foreclosed homes .I cannot afford to fly them to the UK and am out of time now for shots etc ,I am breaking my heart over whats to become of them as they are so loving and dependent on me ,I am showing their photos all over the estate where i live in the vain hope someone will fall in love with them ,Many people have mentioned on this site about the sacrifices you have to make when returning back to the UK:(:(

trottytrue Sep 7th 2009 3:44 am

Magistrate have you tried looking further afield for a rescue shelter. I know the shelter where I live takes in animals from other states. Perhaps you could get on line and research it. I wish you the best I know how hard it is.

Aces1. I agree with you over decisions we make over the years. When I made the decision to move to the US I thought it was the best thing to do. I can only say to those contemplating a move don't do it for others in you life do it because you want to. Thats where I went wrong. Plus I had had a hysterectomy 6months previous it was only years later that I was told by another doctor you should not make any big decision for at least 2years after such an operation.:frown: My original doctor never told me that.

On to the future. When we return to the UK we are going to rent for the first year till we decide where we want to live. We are going to take a few holidays and look around.
I think if you take a look at some of the BBC page they do have news for each region you will learn quite a bit about crime and weather. Another thing to look at is are the Government going to start building lot of houses in the area you are thinking of moving to. Just keep your eye on the news and note down areas that you may not want to live. Sometimes we forget about it later also some areas have problems with flooding thats another area where you can keep notes. Even after you have moved back to the UK you can still make yourself aware of bad areas to live. Health care is better is certain areas of the country. I have a favourites folder on my computer that I keep all relavant information.

callé Sep 7th 2009 7:39 am

ok, some of you been on here for a while may remember me a s I posted so much when I returned in 2005. This site hped me so much.
I am 55 in Nov (Saggitarius-full of adventure):D I left with my parents when I was only five, at the end of 1959. So that makes over forty years in the US. I lived in Florida so I had to relearn cooler temps too. I, like many of you always knew I would come home. I could write a book really, but you all know, life happens. Marriages, children the whole lot. I was really scared too, but more scared not to. My mum and sisters are still in Florida, and one son, which makes it hard...but three of my children and my husband are with me. Its really hard and scary at first, but it does all sort itself out. I was very comfortable, a manager of a small firm, home half paid for, husband earned well...I gave it all up and even had to start through a temp work agency. I worked hard and showed them I was worthy and I am now working my way back up. Its not what I had and we watch our earnings but its getting better and it can be done. I also brought my pets with me so we had the problems of renting with pets. Harder, but it can be done. Just on determination, we have made it work. We have now found a home we are trying to buy. I am originally from Plymouth but came to the midlands as I have cousins here. I would still rather be back in Devon, but that will happen yet.
I just want to say that you can do it and you are all really brave. I love it here and know for me it was the best decision. Yes all places have their bad bits and yes its cooler here, much more so than Florida. But believe me its gorgeous and its home and its special. I find the people here so much more friendly in a real way.
I think we should all have a meet up when more of you arrive! I would be happy to offer any advice or even just a friendly, sympathetic ear.
calle

aes1 Sep 7th 2009 11:12 am

Everyone has such good advice, sound positive and is very encouraging. Thanks for that! I think we always come up with enough doubts and concerns of our own before we make any major decision (at our older and wiser age!! :)), so it is really helpful when others can point out lots of good reasons and points rather than those which cause us to worry even more!! Otherwise we go up and down like yo yos!!!! I had never heard about the 2 year rule, always thought it was one year before doing anything major - that explains why I have messed up so much in my life - I didn't wait long enough:D Wish we could all meet up somewhere, wouldn't that be fun!!!

aes1 Sep 7th 2009 11:35 am

Mummy in the foothills - thanks for the link to questions for naturalization test. Glad you said it was easy, I looked at it and came out in hives!!!!:eek::). Rodney - go for it, your memory will be less sharp the longer you leave it, so do it now! Anishq - I admire you for moving at age 71, makes me feel like a wimp at hesitating at age 58!! You can show us all!!! :thumbsup:I too am planning on moving South West, with no family, no friends, all on my own, but for all the right reasons (I think), and am looking to rent long term, not buy. My recent bad experience of buying here in the US has definitely turned me off doing that again any time in the future. Most of all because I don't like the idea of being trapped, losing my freedom, being tied down - or so it has seemed, with buying the house right before the market dropped and now set to lose beaucoup de bucks to sell it. Who knows, I may want to move again - after England, perhaps Italy....:)somewhere else when I am 71........(now dreaming of meeting my knight in shining armour and living on a private tropical island:):rofl:

dunroving Sep 7th 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 7910977)
Mummy in the foothills - thanks for the link to questions for naturalization test. Glad you said it was easy, I looked at it and came out in hives!!!!:eek::). Rodney - go for it, your memory will be less sharp the longer you leave it, so do it now! Anishq - I admire you for moving at age 71, makes me feel like a wimp at hesitating at age 58!! You can show us all!!! :thumbsup:I too am planning on moving South West, with no family, no friends, all on my own, but for all the right reasons (I think), and am looking to rent long term, not buy. My recent bad experience of buying here in the US has definitely turned me off doing that again any time in the future. Most of all because I don't like the idea of being trapped, losing my freedom, being tied down - or so it has seemed, with buying the house right before the market dropped and now set to lose beaucoup de bucks to sell it. Who knows, I may want to move again - after England, perhaps Italy....:)somewhere else when I am 71........(now dreaming of meeting my knight in shining armour and living on a private tropical island:):rofl:

Maybe you should double-post this in the Caribbean Forum. :rofl:

aes1 Sep 7th 2009 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 7911022)
Maybe you should double-post this in the Caribbean Forum. :rofl:

What a great idea!! :lightbulb: Hey, I'm not picky, I'll post it across the board!!! Throw out a net, see what lands in it!!!:rofl::thumbup::rofl:;):rofl:

magistrate Sep 7th 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Again,
hit a snag re us returning to the UK in 2 weeks .We need to hire a car a couple of days after we arrive but when I look at the car rental companies in the town we are staying in the uk they need a credit card ,we do not have one in the USA as we gave it up a year ago and although we have a bank account in the UK we do not have a debit or credit card and it would probably take too long to get a card processed before we need the vehicle .Any ideas please .