Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wal mart bought Asda many years ago, about 5-6 years ago W/M were trying to screw the employees poorly in some way, job cuts, pay cuts, Benefits cuts etc, I cant remember the exact details, wish I could, but anyway the asda truck drivers threatened to strike right as the world cup finals were on and Walmart backed down, you see they operate with very little back room stock so everything comes to the store fresh, just in time for sale.

They will do anything to nickel and dime a supplier and or employee, they like to control everything.
I may be wrong - but had to reply here - In the UK ALL ASDA staff, enjoy getting shares in the company, don't they???? dontheturner

Last edited by dontheturner; Sep 1st 2010 at 1:29 pm. Reason: addition
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dontheturner
I may be wrong - but had to reply here - In the UK ALL ASDA staff, enjoy getting shares in the company, don't they???? dontheturner
I honestly dont know, I do know most Walmart employees cant support themselves on a wage from walmart.

Many of my in laws shop Asda, but I think id be very British and shop Tesco and Morrisons if I was to return.

Walmart and other companies like them are the downfall of America, Walmart pitched buy American but then filled their stores with items made in china, today its the norm, back they then it wasnt.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Sep 1st 2010 at 3:01 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I honestly dont know, I do know most Walmart employees cant support themselves on a wage from walmart.

Many of my in laws shop Asda, but I think id be very British and shop Tesco and Morrisons if I was to return.

Walmart and other companies like them are the downfall of America, Walmart pitched buy American but then filled their stores with items made in china, today its the norm, back they then it wasnt.
Tesco, is expensive - nearly as much as Sainsburys.( don't forget - Tesco is T.E.S.Cohen - a Jewish family) Asda, however, is very well priced, so it will be a toss-up for me! - Morrisons, is the nicest, and quite near. But, having said all that, Tesco run a free bus every morning, around the Telford area, where we will be! - to get on it, all you show is your Tesco Clubcard.- which I already have! dontheturner
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Not only do Americans not get many holidays, but when you do take a holiday, you feel bad about it and then the work just piles up when you're away so it's even worse when you get back
Isnt that the Truth, been there done that.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Tesco, is expensive - nearly as much as Sainsburys.( don't forget - Tesco is T.E.S.Cohen - a Jewish family) Asda, however, is very well priced, so it will be a toss-up for me! - Morrisons, is the nicest, and quite near. But, having said all that, Tesco run a free bus every morning, around the Telford area, where we will be! - to get on it, all you show is your Tesco Clubcard.- which I already have! dontheturner
"don't forget - Tesco is T.E.S.Cohen - a Jewish family"
meaning what?. What exactly are we not supposed to forget??
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

What is wrong with you? That is just friggin disgusting!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Wawa,
Thanks so much for this link, I read the whole thing and that man and all the peoples comments have it compleatly right about paid vacations in America versus paid vacations in UK & Europe,
I think everyone who is living in US --- American or British or whatever should read this,
Rodney.
Maybe I should mention that, in the USA, if you are an hourly paid worker, not Unionized, you do not get paid for the Federal Holidays - when your company closes, and the salaried employees/wage earners with senority get paid time off, you do not. I have come up against this many times over my 24 years of living here - I have gotten to the point where, if I get paid leave, I am actually surprised - and grateful. So sad that most people in the USA live to work, not work to live (well, before the current recession at any rate). I could hardly believe what my English relatives said about their time off/paid vacations/public holidays. I am looking forward to my UK return and places being closed for Easter, Christmas and New Years'.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aviva
I agree with you 1000%, This forum is No Place for that kind of anti semetic remark or any such kind of racist, ethnic comments. I for one am going to complain to the Moderator. Elizabeth

Last edited by Boodles; Sep 1st 2010 at 5:54 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Disgusting? What is disgusting? They are supposed to be, money worshipping, guys who pay very poor wages, the same as Asda/walmart. - so history tells us ( If you ever read)

Wake up, Aviva, and stop being so over the top, about an innocuous comment. Sorry - perhaps you have never worked for pittance wages! been there, done that, and got the tee-shirt. dontheturner
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Disgusting? What is disgusting? They are supposed to be, money worshipping, guys who pay very poor wages, the same as Asda/walmart. - so history tells us ( If you ever read)

Wake up, Aviva, and stop being so over the top, about an innocuous comment. Sorry - perhaps you have never worked for pittance wages! been there, done that, and got the tee-shirt. dontheturner
I think you do not understand the reason for this forum thread. It was started by a woman who wanted a place for the over 50's to be able to talk about their desire to go home, and, all the attendant difficulties acheiving that dream...a place where we could share ideas, support and encouragement. The kind of anti Jewish comments, just posted by you, are not welcome here and neither are any other kind of racist comments Elizabeth
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Ask Tony what medications he takes? I take about 14 tablets each day and I also have Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
I pay $55 a month for RX insurance through AARP. I also pay $4 for a months supply of each medication. I could get it cheaper through the mail but it is worse than worse to go that route. My most expensive medication is discounted to $42 per month. So in the end I pay about $127 amonth (I know that the math does check out)

Sounds like you had a great day out. Good on ya!
Here at Boots, Scotland, for £10.00 you can get any and all prescriptions filled for 4 months, not sure if they have the same down South. It certainly has been a life saviour for me, as I take the meds for high blood pressure, arthritris and acid reflux. Without any type of insurance in Canada they cost me over $300.00 per month.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

For many people in Canada they use the money that they accumulate sort of like a money saving fund that they collect around Christmas or if they have a money emergency. When I was a single mom with the four kids, I would use my vacation money so that I could give my kids a good Christmas, for summers we just went on picnics or to the beach on my days off.

The only time we were able to take a proper holiday was when we owned our own company, after saying that I still was in communication with my office daily.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Sep 1st 2010 at 8:16 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

"don't forget - Tesco is T.E.S.Cohen - a Jewish family"
meaning what?. What exactly are we not supposed to forget??
Aviva, perhaps Don meant that it was a company that is not owned 100% owned by a British/UK family. I am not educated on who is who in Uk so not sure if the Cohen family live in UK or not, just a thought. not that I think that where an owner lives or there ancestory is how he/she will run their company. I have run into people who although British do not care a bean about their employees, all they care about how big the profit will be at year end. Please lets not have this thread breakdown, it has and is a great place to get ideas and inspiration from.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Sep 1st 2010 at 8:25 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Aviva, perhaps Don meant that it was a company that is not owned 100% owned by a British/UK family. I am not educated on who is who in Uk so not sure if the Cohen family live in UK or not, just a thought. not that I think that where an owner lives or there ancestory is how he/she will run their company. I have run into people who although British do not care a bean about their employees, all they care about how big the profit will be at year end. Please lets not have this thread breakdown, it has and is a great place to get ideas and inspiration from.
Hello ED, My comment is, and never was intended to be taken the way these two posters have taken it - you are correct, it was meant to illustrate that, in the same way that ASDA is now wholly owned by Walmart, then Tesco, is not truly British, but unfortunately, the regular thread, was misunderstood. - I'll bet YOU realise, that Tesco, have bought out many local shops in areas outside their normal large out of town shopping areas, --Four in the case of Telford, that I know of. There are many here in Thailand too, but here, they are 50% owned by Lotus, a Thai Company. Thanks ED, for coming in to my defence - you know me, by now, and at 80, why should we be at loggerheads?. dontheturner.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:37 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to make the same defense of you as ED did, but then you said the above.

History doesn't tell us any such thing and if you don't want to upset other people, it might be best not to paint entire races of people - many of whom will be reading your words and participating in this discussion - with one insulting brush. What history does teach us is that capitalists want to make lots of money, be they pink, brown, green or white, and that lots of them (but not all) will rip off their employees to do it. Race has nothing to do with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.