Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Vacation/Holidays in the US.

If I went to work tomorrow for the US government I would qualify for 4 holidays in the first year. Obviously if I were enlisted in the armed forces the same would be true.

Someone mentioned on another forum that if you worked in the service industries in 90% of the cases you receive no annual holidays ever. Why is that? Are they still classified as slaves? They have the "you are lucky to have a job" attitude.

It must really grind the US corporations when they buy companies in Europe and see the annual holidays they have to give their employees. Like a spoilt child they wont do it so they will close down the company. British employees should be aware of this when they find out they are being bought by the Americans.

I would like to find out how many US companies have closed down their operations in Europe in the last 5 years because it would be interesting.

I hear all the time in the US on the news about helping small business out because they are what drive the economy so you aren't going to change the attitude towards treating the US worker as appreciated people any time soon. Work them until they drop is the attitude.

Maybe that is why Europe wants to be strong so as they can become distance from the US.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
Slight change of subject, I stole this off another forum - it seemed too interesting not to share, although some of you have undoubtedly seen it.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11139960
Very interesting - it's true - Americans are a nation of workaholics and now with the recession here and high unemployment, everyone is terrified to lose their jobs. I get a whooping 3 weeks vacation a year and I have been with the same company for 11 years - had to wait 10 years to get the extra week!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
And on a completely different subject ....

Ladies, I will soon be in need of a haircut and color (oops, I better start spelling that "colour") so today I stopped at a few local salons to get some prices.

Basically, the shampoo/haircut/blowdry quotes ran from a low of
£27.90 (Supercuts) to £39-£62 (Rush). At Rush, you pay more for an experienced hairdresser and less for a less experienced hairdresser.

Colour quotes ran from a low of
£39 (Supercuts) to £89 (Rush).

The salon closest to me would charge
£75 for a colour with foil highlights/haircut/blow-dry.

Supercuts would charge
£67 for the same.

Also, it's a law here that 24-48 hours before any colour treatment, you have to have a skin test done to make sure you're not allergic to their colour products.

Just fyi, girls!!
Looks like you got your font blow-dried and styled, too.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Very interesting - it's true - Americans are a nation of workaholics and now with the recession here and high unemployment, everyone is terrified to lose their jobs. I get a whooping 3 weeks vacation a year and I have been with the same company for 11 years - had to wait 10 years to get the extra week!!
I'm not sure if they are really workaholics. I dare say if you offered American workers 4 extra week's paid holiday, most of them would take it.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm not sure if they are really workaholics. I dare say if you offered American workers 4 extra week's paid holiday, most of them would take it.
I'm not sure about that. My youngest daughter told me that her husband never went on vacation as a child -his dad used to take the money from his firm in lieu of vacation time - he preferred it that way. They weren't poor either - he had a well paid job. I don't understand that - life is too short to work all the time. My son-in-law has gone on more vacations since he married my daughter than he ever did when he was younger!!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
[F Antiqua]Just another quick nd it cost me[/FONT][F Antiqua] £7.30.

My husband Tony takes quite a bit of regular medication (he has diabetes and high blood pressure). In the states (again, we had Blue Cross) he would have paid $163.00 for a 3-month supply. The doc yesterday gave him a 3-month supply of all his medication and - because he has diabetes and qualifies for the Medical Exemption Certificate - ALL of his meds were FREE.

Amazing to walk out of the chemist's with all that medicine and all it cost us, in toto, was
[/FONT][F Antiqua]£7.30.[/FONT]
Ask Tony what medications he takes? I take about 14 tablets each day and I also have Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
I pay $55 a month for RX insurance through AARP. I also pay $4 for a months supply of each medication. I could get it cheaper through the mail but it is worse than worse to go that route. My most expensive medication is discounted to $42 per month. So in the end I pay about $127 amonth (I know that the math does check out)

Sounds like you had a great day out. Good on ya!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:17 am
Ping-ponger

I'm not sure about that. My youngest daughter told me that her husband never went on vacation as a child -his dad used to take the money from his firm in lieu of vacation time - he preferred it that way. They weren't poor either - he had a well paid job. I don't understand that - life is too short to work all the time. My son-in-law has gone on more vacations since he married my daughter than he ever did when he was younger!!!
Is your son-in-law American? He doesn't seem very workaholic.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Is your son-in-law American? He doesn't seem very workaholic.
Yes - he is a first generation American - parents were born in Poland and Germany. He works hard, but like my daughter, likes to travel. They don't have any children yet, so they might as well see a little bit of the world before they start a family.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:26 am
Ping-ponger

Yes - he is a first generation American - parents were born in Poland and Germany. He works hard, but like my daughter, likes to travel. They don't have any children yet, so they might as well see a little bit of the world before they start a family.
I imagine his parents' "workaholic" tendencies may be more to do with being immigrants from eastern Europe than being American, then.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:26 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think many would, but many are afraid that the boss wouldn't miss them and their job would be first to go when they got back.
Dh has never worked in UK and spends his vacation days catching up on household repairs, he gets 2 weeks a year now and three starting next year (after 6 years of service)
The most vacation I can get Dh on is a long weekend, so we've never really been too far. We went to UK one Christmas but he had to take one unpaid week so we could stay for 2.5 weeks. Crazy!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I imagine his parents' "workaholic" tendencies may be more to do with being immigrants from eastern Europe than being American, then.
Could be - I never really thought of that before now.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about that. My youngest daughter told me that her husband never went on vacation as a child -his dad used to take the money from his firm in lieu of vacation time - he preferred it that way. They weren't poor either - he had a well paid job. I don't understand that - life is too short to work all the time.
I think the US is simply a more materialistic society. Many would rather have the extra $$$ to spend on consumer goods than time off to travel. I've seen this many times with quite well off co-workers.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Vacation/Holidays in the US.

If I went to work tomorrow for the US government I would qualify for 4 holidays in the first year. Obviously if I were enlisted in the armed forces the same would be true.

Someone mentioned on another forum that if you worked in the service industries in 90% of the cases you receive no annual holidays ever. Why is that? Are they still classified as slaves? They have the "you are lucky to have a job" attitude.

It must really grind the US corporations when they buy companies in Europe and see the annual holidays they have to give their employees. Like a spoilt child they wont do it so they will close down the company. British employees should be aware of this when they find out they are being bought by the Americans.

I would like to find out how many US companies have closed down their operations in Europe in the last 5 years because it would be interesting.

I hear all the time in the US on the news about helping small business out because they are what drive the economy so you aren't going to change the attitude towards treating the US worker as appreciated people any time soon. Work them until they drop is the attitude.

Maybe that is why Europe wants to be strong so as they can become distance from the US.
Wal mart bought Asda many years ago, about 5-6 years ago W/M were trying to screw the employees poorly in some way, job cuts, pay cuts, Benefits cuts etc, I cant remember the exact details, wish I could, but anyway the asda truck drivers threatened to strike right as the world cup finals were on and Walmart backed down, you see they operate with very little back room stock so everything comes to the store fresh, just in time for sale.

They will do anything to nickel and dime a supplier and or employee, they like to control everything.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with you dunroving, its a bad situation, no wonder workers get burned out and go postal.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
And on a completely different subject ....

Ladies, I will soon be in need of a haircut and color (oops, I better start spelling that "colour") so today I stopped at a few local salons to get some prices.

Basically, the shampoo/haircut/blowdry quotes ran from a low of
£27.90 (Supercuts) to £39-£62 (Rush). At Rush, you pay more for an experienced hairdresser and less for a less experienced hairdresser.

Colour quotes ran from a low of
£39 (Supercuts) to £89 (Rush).

The salon closest to me would charge
£75 for a colour with foil highlights/haircut/blow-dry.

Supercuts would charge
£67 for the same.

Also, it's a law here that 24-48 hours before any colour treatment, you have to have a skin test done to make sure you're not allergic to their colour products.

Just fyi, girls!!
Seems quite expensive, but then you are in London. I'm sure other areas of the UK are a little cheaper. A lot of salons here charge according to the stylist/colorist's experience. I've never heard of the skin test before - that's a new one, but then I haven't had my hair colored in the UK for over 20 years - I had a lot less grey then!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.