Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Did I miss something in regards to Relocateme, I can't remember reading that she had returned to Canada, can anyone confirm this. I know that she returned to UK and was feeling a bit of wondering if she had made the right decision.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Irish Denise, although I am half Irish my dad was from County Meath..... i can beleive it, you probably caused those young men to be having a discussion like that for days involving the whole village, i can hear them now in the pub that night, Hey Seamus, now tell me the nearest............
I have 4 weeks today Sept 22nd till I leave for my 8 week trip...... can not wait.
I also got my citizen interview appointment yesterday, guess when for yes Sept 22nd at 11 a.m so i will be able to go to that ....... then I have to figure out wether to come back home here and grab my stuff or go to the airport from there, if it all over quickly i will come home otherwise if it is the 2 hours it says i will go straight to the airport....... in boston mass.

I hope every one is doing well, we have torrential rain and gale force winds, kind of like I am expecting at home........ aw HOME it will always be home......
Rodney you are the man!!!!!! It will take me 4 weeks to get through my basement, and that is conservative estimate.
Hope all the expats who are home are doing okay. JJ are you okay??
Trotty where are you? Must call you today if i can find the number.
I cant believe your Luck.
Fancy that, taking a Citizenship interview then leaving the country just hours later.

I'm glad the Family aren't being difficult.

I hope it all works out.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Did I miss something in regards to Relocateme, I can't remember reading that she had returned to Canada, can anyone confirm this. I know that she returned to UK and was feeling a bit of wondering if she had made the right decision.
As posted earlier today, yes I know for sure she is back in Canada, it may be a different part, but she is planning on buying a house and I think has a car already.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
As posted earlier today, yes I know for sure she is back in Canada, it may be a different part, but she is planning on buying a house and I think has a car already.
Ahhhhhhhhhh I'm lost for words...
I hope all goes well for her, no matter where she is.

Thanks for the Info Aes, l loved your post yesterday too...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Irish Denise, although I am half Irish my dad was from County Meath..... i can beleive it, you probably caused those young men to be having a discussion like that for days involving the whole village, i can hear them now in the pub that night, Hey Seamus, now tell me the nearest............
I have 4 weeks today Sept 22nd till I leave for my 8 week trip...... can not wait.
I also got my citizen interview appointment yesterday, guess when for yes Sept 22nd at 11 a.m so i will be able to go to that ....... then I have to figure out wether to come back home here and grab my stuff or go to the airport from there, if it all over quickly i will come home otherwise if it is the 2 hours it says i will go straight to the airport....... in boston mass.

I hope every one is doing well, we have torrential rain and gale force winds, kind of like I am expecting at home........ aw HOME it will always be home......
Rodney you are the man!!!!!! It will take me 4 weeks to get through my basement, and that is conservative estimate.
Hope all the expats who are home are doing okay. JJ are you okay??
Trotty where are you? Must call you today if i can find the number.
Charleygirl, thats good that you have your citizenship interview, but WOW the same day as you are leaving to go home for your short trip, it may be a bit hectic for you, but you will be OK,
And it should work out well too for the oath ceremony, mine was a month after my interview and they gave me papers of the date before I left the interview building, but some people say they wrote to them later on to inform them of there oath date,
Rodney.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Charleygirl, thats good that you have your citizenship interview, but WOW the same day as you are leaving to go home for your short trip, it may be a bit hectic for you, but you will be OK,
And it should work out well too for the oath ceremony, mine was a month after my interview and they gave me papers of the date before I left the interview building, but some people say they wrote to them later on to inform them of there oath date,
Rodney.
We postponed my wifes swearing in day a few times so that we could go together, Finally after a few months they said, she better do it or else, so she got swore in and about 18 months later I was swore in.

(Both Interviewed on same day, finger prints caused me problems)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Rodney, Father Ted was a tongue in cheek comedy about Irish priests, it was very funny, and although the clergy did'nt appreciate it too much, it was a number 1 hit here and in the uk, have to say beware if you come across it as the language can be a bit blue, the movie The Quiet Man was made in Ireland and John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara were the main characters, along with Ward Bond and Barry Fitzgerald, it again was a bit of nonsense about an american returning to his Irish roots, falling for local girl, and the hilarity of small village values, I personally loved it and it was very funny, I suppose it makes us Irish look a bit silly, but we can laugh at ourselves, and enjoy others laughing with us not at us I have tired to see if there are any re-runs but can't see any, will let you know if they come back, but as F&C has said the creator Father Ted himself sadly died suddenly a few years ago, he was not very old and is sadly missed. It has such a cult following, fans flock to the Island it was filmed on every year, by the hundreds, from all over the globe, I hope if you see it you enjoy it as some people don't enjoy it at all and take offence Denise
Hello Denise and Fish,
Thanks for all the info on Father Ted, guess what yesterday I got on Amazon.com and they had all 3 seasons of there show for sale, you can buy all 3 seasons in one package for I think it was $75 or you could purchase the whole season 1 2 or 3 separately, so I purchased the entire season (one) of Father Ted (6 episodes) for $22.47 including shipping, so its on its way to me,
So now I can watch 6 episodes, so if they dont have any re-runs over in UK when I get there I will always have my own, and I bet Mum would enjoy watching them again too,
Father Ted series ran from 1995 to 1998,
And I also checked out the Quiet Man, John Wayne & Maureen O'hara, they have that movie for sale on Amazon too, I didn't buy that one cause when I read the description of the movie I realised that I had seen that movie when I was a kid, I think the movie is that old, and yes it WAS a very funny movie,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Denise and Fish,
Thanks for all the info on Father Ted, guess what yesterday I got on Amazon.com and they had all 3 seasons of there show for sale, you can buy all 3 seasons in one package for I think it was $75 or you could purchase the whole season 1 2 or 3 separately, so I purchased the entire season (one) of Father Ted (6 episodes) for $22.47 including shipping, so its on its way to me,
So now I can watch 6 episodes, so if they dont have any re-runs over in UK when I get there I will always have my own, and I bet Mum would enjoy watching them again too,
Father Ted series ran from 1995 to 1998,
And I also checked out the Quiet Man, John Wayne & Maureen O'hara, they have that movie for sale on Amazon too, I didn't buy that one cause when I read the description of the movie I realised that I had seen that movie when I was a kid, I think the movie is that old, and yes it WAS a very funny movie,
Take care,
Rodney.
Good for you Rod... Enjoy...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
Thank you so much for this update. I am going to try and at least read posts so I don't fall behind again! I hope to get back to sharing in October. Think things will have calmed down by them. I have had more fun and more adventures in the last 3 months here than I had in the last 5 years in the States! Just goes to show what a change of environment and resulting attitude can make!!

BTW How is Barb doing in Australia, anyone know? I did hear that Relocateme (left Canada, back to England, tried Australia) has returned to Canada to live!!! Bought a house and resettled there! Good to know she is finally happy, but what a stressful time to get to that stage. Do we 'pingpongers' ever know what we really want, or does what we want change with time and circumstance? Or is it our nomadic life that just confuses us because it offers so many choices? There is something to be said for being a 'hometown' girl/boy your whole life - must be much simpler!!!

So on to my day here in Malta: Off to Valletta this morning, returning German books/DVDs to the German/Maltese Circle. Trip to my local healthfood store ran by a man from New Zealand, then a cappuccino with a British expat and a local Maltese friend, followed by dinner with some South Africans. All on this small island!!!

Everyone take care, keep dreaming and wishing your dreams come true!
Hi Anna,
Great to hear from you again, nice update,

You said do we "pingpongers" ever no what we really want, or does what we want change with time and circumstance,
Very well said indeed, that says it all,
Take care and keep having fun in Malta, you will no when the time comes whether or not you will ever actually want to live in UK again, until then just keep away from any pressure or stress and just take life as it comes,
Rodney.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I am surprised about relocateme, although I did not know her for long as she went back to UK before I joined I think but only back in July she posted here about driving licenses and stuff but she did say she had mixed feelings,....wow. I hope she is happy now, would be lovely to hear from her why she did what she did....

Rodney lovely posts as always.
Fish thanks for the good wishes and yes so far so good........someone said what is the ceremony is same day, but I think I would have been told that dont you think? They do have a brand new Ceremony room there now too where I am going. But I dont want it same day. I will tell them when i a will be away.

Hope every one is okay, getting a little concerned for JJ as they were leaving as I joined this forum and seemed so excited and ready.......hope all is well.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:22 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I am surprised about relocateme, although I did not know her for long as she went back to UK before I joined I think but only back in July she posted here about driving licenses and stuff but she did say she had mixed feelings,....wow. I hope she is happy now, would be lovely to hear from her why she did what she did....

Rodney lovely posts as always.
Fish thanks for the good wishes and yes so far so good........someone said what is the ceremony is same day, but I think I would have been told that dont you think? They do have a brand new Ceremony room there now too where I am going. But I dont want it same day. I will tell them when i a will be away.

Hope every one is okay, getting a little concerned for JJ as they were leaving as I joined this forum and seemed so excited and ready.......hope all is well.
Here the ceremony was a month later.
But I've heard of places where it's the same day, but then mine was a year after 9/11 and they needed a huge theatre for the swearing in, no relatives allowed to watch as there was no room.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:49 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, this is just a short update but I promise that soon I will write a post about my impressions on being back here after 6 years in the U.S., but you must remember that unlike most of you, I am American, not British. I'm just lucky enough to be married to a Brit, but I did live here with him once before (for 18 months) but as I said, that was 6 years ago. Not a LOT has changed in those 6 years, but several things have so as soon as things settle down a bit, I'll get back with you on that ...

On Wednesday, I took the "Life in the UK" test which I had to pass in order to be able to apply for Permanent Residency. I had been studying for the exam (it's not an easy exam!) for several months, taking the online practice tests and I'm happy to report that I passed.

The test was 24 questions (multiple choice or true/false) and you had to get at least 18 of them correct. It cost 34 quid and the test proctor was Chinese and the man who registered me was Indian - so welcome to the United Kingdom!

So, now I can apply for Permanent Residency - which will cost me £840. Once I am approved (which can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6+ months), I will have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK - and in 3 years, I can apply for British Citizenship (which will, of course, cost MORE money.)

Last week we registered with a local GP, and had our first appointment today which was nothing more than meeting with a Nurse Practitioner and giving her our medical history, she took our blood pressure and weighed us and that was about it. Next week, we have an appointment to actually meet with the doctor and at that time we will be getting our prescriptions for the medications we regularly take. Before we left America, I printed out a list of our medications, dosages, etc., to give to the doctor when we meet with her.

Tomorrow we have to look for a Notary Public which should be interesting. We have some paperwork from the U.S. that needs to be notarized and from what I understand, it's going to cost us to have them notarized! Certainly not like in America where there's a Notary on every corner. (I should know - I was one of them!!)

Also on our To Do list tomorrow is to purchase Oyster Cards for each of us. Everyone uses an Oyster Card these days to ride the tube, bus, etc.

Bank holiday week-end coming up - not sure exactly what, if anything, we'll be doing - other than staying as far away as possible from London (Notting Hill Carnival will be going on).

My mum-in-law is off to Italy in a week or so. It's lovely staying here with her but I must admit that Tony and I are looking forward to having the house to ourselves for a fortnight.

Nothing yet on the job front. He did have an interview for a job he's not particularly enthused about, but there's another one on the horizon that he's extremely interested in and hoping to be called in for an interview on, so .

We still haven't received our letter from the Job Centre saying how much his Job Seeker's Allowance will be, but we were told that the first 9 weeks (I think that's what they said) will be contributions-based, and after that, it will be income-based. (I cannot draw any kind of public benefits until I have Permanent Residency.)

Did I say that this would be a "short" update???????

Take care, my friends!

Last edited by DDL; Aug 26th 2010 at 11:53 am.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi everyone, this is just a short update but I promise that soon I will write a post about my impressions on being back here after 6 years in the U.S., but you must remember that unlike most of you, I am American, not British. I'm just lucky enough to be married to a Brit, but I did live here with him once before (for 18 months) but as I said, that was 6 years ago. Not a LOT has changed in those 6 years, but several things have so as soon as things settle down a bit, I'll get back with you on that ...

Bank holiday week-end coming up - not sure exactly what, if anything, we'll be doing - other than staying as far away as possible from London (Notting Hill Carnival will be going on).

Did I say that this would be a "short" update???????

Take care, my friends!
I read every word with great interest. Thank you!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
There are vacancies on the NHS JOBS web sites for IT engineers. also NHS Jobs Scotland, too ( That is the health service) regards dontheturner
thanks Don
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi Shelley748, lucky you going back for a look-see!! I came across this website and I thought it might help you and anyone else curious about the job situation. I saw a good few IT positions listed, so take a look as there are other useful links and articles.

http://www.careersandjobsuk.com/?c=scjx

and anyone interested in Secretarial/Administrative this is my favourite

http://www.secsinthecity.co.uk/
Thanks Wawa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.