Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:54 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I wonder if any of you have ever seen Father Ted or The Quiet Man? If you have'nt you may not get this story but here goes. Driving down to Cork on Saturday, we needed petrol, so got off motorway to a little town, but could'nt see the petrol station. We noticed 3 young lads having a pint outside the local pub, so went to ask them where the petrol station was. 1st lad, (with the broad father ted/ barry fitzgersald accent) "well now let me see so..... if you turn round go along that road , round there...2nd lad looking at him as if he had gone mad "no you don't" 1st lad "yes you do so" "no you don't" 1st lad "well you tell them then where do you go" the 2nd lad told us, as as we drove away the two of them were still arguing when we got our petrol, and returned to get on the motorway again, there they were still arguing, but stopped to bend down and wave at us through the car window, before arguing again It was so funny, but you have to imagine the accent, my husband and I laughed so much we nearly went off the road. Priceless

ha ha ha ha ha That is brilliant! As I was reading it I was doing my best Father Ted accent. ha ha Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh yes Denise that story was really funny, and I can actually picture the whole thing there in Cork with you and hubby and the lads arguing, I havent seen or know about those two TV programs though,
Yes its a great feeling to have my garage all cleared out finally, but it was hard and I was sweating like a wee pig onk onk all day for 10 hours straight,
today though My arms are really aching with all the heavy lifting of all the trips to the dumpster,
Take care,
Rodney.
Rod you've got to check out Father Ted, one of the Best TV shows ever, If you are catholic you may not like it, The Irish really know how to make Brits laugh.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:16 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You can drive for 12months on your US license, Ds is doing that right now while getting ready to take his UK drivers test.
As an American living in the UK, I can drive for 12 months on my US driver's license HOWEVER the insurance is going to be more expensive, so I am going to get a Provisional License as soon as possible. My husband will have to be with me in the car when I drive, but that's not a problem because we go everywhere together anyway. I'm going to do as much driving as I can with my Provisional License and then when I feel ready, I'll go for the full monty.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I booked my flight to go back for a reccy in October! Am seeing my Dad and will be there for 2 weeks to get the low down on everything!!

Hubby was listening to the radio today and this very famous and well respected economist called Thomas Soul was saying that if Obama carries on like he is then he will not only screw up the USA economy but also the global economy!!!

So on that note, I am going to be very un rose tinted glasses in my approach, even though if my heart were to rule my head right now, I would already be in UK.

Is anyone who has gone back already in the IT industry? If so can you please advise if there is a shortage of Systems Engineers?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Sofa bed with matching love seat, 12 years old but like new condition
This is how we know Rodney doesn't have pets!

Almost all my furniture bears the scars of living with 4 cats. I doubt anyone will want it

DDL, I know you're busy and I don't want to pry, but I'm very interested in your impressions, good and bad, now that you've arrived. This must be such a weird and unsettling time for you.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by shelley748
Well I booked my flight to go back for a reccy in October! Am seeing my Dad and will be there for 2 weeks to get the low down on everything!!

Is anyone who has gone back already in the IT industry? If so can you please advise if there is a shortage of Systems Engineers?
There are vacancies on the NHS JOBS web sites for IT engineers. also NHS Jobs Scotland, too ( That is the health service) regards dontheturner
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:23 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby was listening to the radio today and this very famous and well respected economist called Thomas Soul was saying that if Obama carries on like he is then he will not only screw up the USA economy but also the global economy!!!
For what it's worth, I looked up Thomas Sowell. He's a well-known right-winger who was a big supporter of the former administration's economic policies. He writes for GOPUSA, a conservative newsletter and website, and for conservative newspapers and magazines. He definitely has a point of view.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

So on that note, I am going to be very un rose tinted glasses in my approach, even though if my heart were to rule my head right now, I would already be in UK.

Hi Shelley748, lucky you going back for a look-see!! I came across this website and I thought it might help you and anyone else curious about the job situation. I saw a good few IT positions listed, so take a look as there are other useful links and articles.

http://www.careersandjobsuk.com/?c=scjx

and anyone interested in Secretarial/Administrative this is my favourite

http://www.secsinthecity.co.uk/

Last edited by Wawa; Aug 25th 2010 at 2:49 am.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:40 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

yeah Im thinking of going back too , now I hit 50 I wonder what its like there for employment for Systems Engineers/analysts etc

although I prob only need part time but can work full time ...

plus whats the homes for rent market like ??
not sure I would want to get into a mortgage again at this time of life.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rod you've got to check out Father Ted, one of the Best TV shows ever, If you are catholic you may not like it, The Irish really know how to make Brits laugh.
Thanks Fish,
Father Ted is that avalible to watch in America? I do get BBC America, no I am not catholic, the program sounds very funny, and whats the other one that was just mentioned?
Rodney.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This is how we know Rodney doesn't have pets!

Almost all my furniture bears the scars of living with 4 cats. I doubt anyone will want it

DDL, I know you're busy and I don't want to pry, but I'm very interested in your impressions, good and bad, now that you've arrived. This must be such a weird and unsettling time for you.
Hello sallysimmons,
Yes you are right, I do not have pets, never have all the time I have lived over here, but I do like cats & dogs, I had a cat when I was a kid, and later in England as an adult I had a german shepered, or as we call them in UK Alsations,
Rodney.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt problems in the USA will affect the world around us, but that will happen no matter which party is in power.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Fish,
Father Ted is that avalible to watch in America? I do get BBC America, no I am not catholic, the program sounds very funny, and whats the other one that was just mentioned?
Rodney.
Rod, it was on BBC America years ago, not today, its available in the UK, and it realy is funny, the other one mentioned was a movie I think.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rod, it was on BBC America years ago, not today, its available in the UK, and it realy is funny, the other one mentioned was a movie I think.
Thanks Fish,
I went back a couple of pages and the other one was the Quiet Man, was that a movie or TV show?
So Father Ted ---- is that still playing on British TV? Re - runs or not I would love to see it when I get back to England,
Rodney.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Fish,
I went back a couple of pages and the other one was the Quiet Man, was that a movie or TV show?
So Father Ted ---- is that still playing on British TV? Re - runs or not I would love to see it when I get back to England,
Rodney.
Rod...
Not sure if Ted is still on in UK but Id bet its on reruns somewhere, it was a Channel 4 show over in UK, easy to find on DVD, Go to you tube and look at bits of it there.
Only lasted a few seasons, Ted passed away in real life.

The Quiet Man is a John Wayne, Maureen O Hara Film, you can see that here every once in a while, Its a Good Old Irish Film.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.