Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Not heard a word from Anna...
Actually, she made a very short message a couple of weeks ago, only a two liner, I think she is very busy with the ESL, volunteering etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Make sure you apply for a provisional licence and pass you test before the 12 months is up otherwise you will have to comply with UK regs to driving with a qualified passanger (you don't need to do this in the 12 month period).
The only time I will have to take the test is if I wish to drive a manual transmission car. Other than that I just went to the office in Glasgow and gave them the picture, my passport, £50 and the filled in paperwork, I received the licence back in the mail 2 weeks later. I don't think I will take the test for the manual will just have to look for a automatic car when I can purchase.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:45 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
The only time I will have to take the test is if I wish to drive a manual transmission car. Other than that I just went to the office in Glasgow and gave them the picture, my passport, £50 and the filled in paperwork, I received the licence back in the mail 2 weeks later. I don't think I will take the test for the manual will just have to look for a automatic car when I can purchase.
Think you picked up the wrong sender!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Think you picked up the wrong sender!
Sorry, I must have misunderstood, thought you were saying that she would have to take a test before getting her licence even if it was within the 12 month period.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Lara,
You said you surrended your UK license. Where did you surrender it?
I would inquire as to your original UK license be reissued because I think they are good for life? That would avoid a lot of pain. I would say you don't have your license and could they replace it?

Fish and Chips,
I heard the same thing about riding first class on BMI. The person said her daughter was an employee so she was able to ride first class.
It would be interesting to find out which US cities they fly out of if any.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered about the license I have always had mine and it is valid till 2021. Had it forever........
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I certainly have thought about moving further down south but at the moment financially it would be very difficult. I think the job situation is similiar to Ontario/Praries in Canada, always seems like there is more work in the East. Sometimes I find myself waking up in the middle of the night in an absolute panic that my husband and I will never be together again. I have thought about returning but then all that we have endured not only now but before would seem pointless. I do think though that when you are taken as a young child to another country you will always feel that you don't really belong anywhere
I have never been a quiter, so I have to believe that I will get to my goal this year. I do have to thank all of you for your thoughts and encouragement, you have become like family to me.
Hello ED, Whatever you do - don't quit! _ I know you won't because it would make your past months efforts, all so pointless. Now we have more UK problems! - Lloyds/TSB have rung my daughter, saying their Fraud Department, have blocked one of my payments, to ''kiddiecare.com'' (I cannot find such a company on the browser - so what the hell?) Then (2) As my Thai Visa expires in Feb, daughter Christine, cannot locate my P60, to be able to prove to Thai Immigration, that my income is 'legal' Then (3) Daughter also wants me to give the tenants SIX months notice, when we don't even, as yet know how much we will have saved, to buy furniture when we do go! Oh Dear - one thing after another! Take Care dontheturner x x
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Return of the lurker. Sorry if that sounds like a breed of dog, but here goes.
Thank you all very much for such a warm welcome, but on reflection, not being very computer literate, i did jump into the deep end. This I put down to having a drop to much of my home made Rose Petal Wine. I live in the West MIdlands, about 11 miles south of Birmingham. The countryside is a 5 minute
or so drive. I was born just a mile away from where I now live, and despite holidays in Europe have never felt the urge to move anywhere else. I suppose you would descibe me as a simple, stick in the mud yokel. I still work
now and again in order to enjoy the pleasures of life. In fact I worked eight and a half hours per day without a break over the last fortnight, so that is
85 hours in total. Trotty asked about the housing market,in some parts of the country prices have increased, in others they have dropped a wee bit. Around
where I live there has been quite a lot of new houses built .A couple of old hospitals have been demolished and are now housing estates. My son, having three teenage kids, wanted a bit more space, so sold his house and moved into a 5 bedroom , three storey house. I dread to think what the mortgage is.
How you would get on for car insurance I dont know, but would be expensive
if starting from scratch. I drive a 3 litre automatic and the comp ins is £250,
but that is with no claim discount. My 1.6 litre van is £156, so it does drop
down if you are not accident prone. There are plenty of benefits for old folk,
I myself could have had a bus and train pass at sixty years of age but prefer to travel under my own steam.The free swims were stopped at the start of this month, but it is still only a couple of quid.There are plenty of activities
going on in built up communities, but if anyone yearns for old world charm
I dont think it would be a problem.A question for Rod. Were you old enough
to be called up for NS before you emigrated? I think I have spoken enough
tonight. My next challenge is deciding what sort of wine to open,or pop to the
local pub. It is a hard life, innit. Best of luck to all you folks wherever you may be.That is the best I can do as I am not religous.
Hello Bluenose, I'm very curious to know what type and age your vehicles are, The prices look great to me, over here (USA) we pay a lot for car/van insurance, but a lot of it is Medical coverage incase someone gets injured.

I'm paying $750 for each of my vehicles, one is a 1991 Toyota 4 runner SUV (Surf) 3 litre auto and the other is my 02 Chevy Astro work van, 4.3 litre auto, (the smallest van Chevy make), that's with no claims and no tickets.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello ED, Whatever you do - don't quit! _ I know you won't because it would make your past months efforts, all so pointless. Now we have more UK problems! - Lloyds/TSB have rung my daughter, saying their Fraud Department, have blocked one of my payments, to ''kiddiecare.com'' (I cannot find such a company on the browser - so what the hell?) Then (2) As my Thai Visa expires in Feb, daughter Christine, cannot locate my P60, to be able to prove to Thai Immigration, that my income is 'legal' Then (3) Daughter also wants me to give the tenants SIX months notice, when we don't even, as yet know how much we will have saved, to buy furniture when we do go! Oh Dear - one thing after another! Take Care dontheturner x x
Don, I wouldn't worry to much about the furniture, other than a new bed most things can be purchased used and in excellent condition, I figured it out you could furnish a house in very nice furniture, including a new bed, bedding etc for less that £1500.00. I guess it would depend on your needs and wants though. Can you get another or a copy of your P60? I would be calling Lloyds and finding out what is going on, somethings not right there, especially if you have never authorized a payment to this company, better to speak to them in person.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Return of the lurker. Sorry if that sounds like a breed of dog, but here goes.
Thank you all very much for such a warm welcome, but on reflection, not being very computer literate, i did jump into the deep end. This I put down to having a drop to much of my home made Rose Petal Wine. I live in the West MIdlands, about 11 miles south of Birmingham. The countryside is a 5 minute
or so drive. I was born just a mile away from where I now live, and despite holidays in Europe have never felt the urge to move anywhere else. I suppose you would descibe me as a simple, stick in the mud yokel. I still work
now and again in order to enjoy the pleasures of life. In fact I worked eight and a half hours per day without a break over the last fortnight, so that is
85 hours in total. Trotty asked about the housing market,in some parts of the country prices have increased, in others they have dropped a wee bit. Around
where I live there has been quite a lot of new houses built .A couple of old hospitals have been demolished and are now housing estates. My son, having three teenage kids, wanted a bit more space, so sold his house and moved into a 5 bedroom , three storey house. I dread to think what the mortgage is.
How you would get on for car insurance I dont know, but would be expensive
if starting from scratch. I drive a 3 litre automatic and the comp ins is £250,
but that is with no claim discount. My 1.6 litre van is £156, so it does drop
down if you are not accident prone. There are plenty of benefits for old folk,
I myself could have had a bus and train pass at sixty years of age but prefer to travel under my own steam.The free swims were stopped at the start of this month, but it is still only a couple of quid.There are plenty of activities
going on in built up communities, but if anyone yearns for old world charm
I dont think it would be a problem.A question for Rod. Were you old enough
to be called up for NS before you emigrated? I think I have spoken enough
tonight. My next challenge is deciding what sort of wine to open,or pop to the
local pub. It is a hard life, innit. Best of luck to all you folks wherever you may be.That is the best I can do as I am not religous.
Hello bluenose,
Regarding your car insurance that you are paying in the UK, IT SOUNDS SO VERY CHEAP, those rates that you are quoting are they for the whole year or for 6 months????
In Las Vegas the car insurance polices are for just 6 months at a time, so you renew every 6 months, --- probably cause no one can afford to pay for a whole year at a time,
I have just a very small Hyundai accent six years old, and I can only afford to pay by the month, and my premiums for full comp is $140 per month, so it would work out to $1,680 per year, so that is over 1,000 pounds per year UK money, and I have a perfect driving record, no accidents or claims for 14 years, so I even get a no claims bonus, and I still have to pay these rediculous high rates,
I think Vegas is one of the most expensive citys in the US for car insurance though cause there are so many accidents here,
Rodney.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

I can't remember if some one has already posted this on the mammoth thread that this one is but....

I use www.freecycle.org. You have be a member of yahoo groups tho.

Choose your area/village/city in the uk you are moving to or in. Then apply to join it. http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK/

I also am a member of the one in the city I am leaving (it is worldwide) helps me pass on stuff I am not selling and find moving stuff :-) just click on the other countries link.

The larger cities can generate alot of email in your in box - be warned!

Reeni
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:53 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello bluenose,
Regarding your car insurance that you are paying in the UK, IT SOUNDS SO VERY CHEAP, those rates that you are quoting are they for the whole year or for 6 months????
When I was researching UK cost of living, I was stunned at how cheap things like car insurance are. We pay $1,500 per year for our insurance for one small car with no accidents or tickets.

Also property taxes are low in the UK compared to the $12,000 a year I have to pay here. Finally, my friends' utility bills are laughably small compared to my $1,000+ per month. Of course, NY is not a cheap place to live, and I have an old house, but still ... people in the UK have no idea how good they have it!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Rodney and Charleygirl, yes it was so funny, I think the little man who did my test has been put on rest leave, poor thing, but as long as it goes
through at last, yes Rodney I have always envied people who are content in life, but I am determined to become content, and so far so good, when I look at other countries now, I say the grass is not always greener, and I have come to accept we are not spring chickens any more, and its nice feeling we belong, and no one is asking me to repeat myself as they don't understand my accent (although some of the Cork accents are a nightmare to understand and I'm from the same country so what chance have you lot babysitting my grandkids at the moment and enjoying it, the weather has been really good for the uk, so that has been a bonus, Rodney get to the garage post haste or you will get lynched Denise
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I use freecycle to list and get items. Got the most wonderful rocking chair with footstool for free and in excellent condition. I use it to list stuff if dont' want tax writeoff for donating to charity...
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Lara,
You said you surrended your UK license. Where did you surrender it?
I would inquire as to your original UK license be reissued because I think they are good for life? That would avoid a lot of pain. I would say you don't have your license and could they replace it?

Fish and Chips,
I heard the same thing about riding first class on BMI. The person said her daughter was an employee so she was able to ride first class.
It would be interesting to find out which US cities they fly out of if any.
I think they are valid until your 70th birthday (mine is), after which you have to be retested. If you have lost yours, you should be able to get a replacement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.