Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi Fish and Rodney, thanks so much for your best wishes, and you are both right, as my husband and I talked more and still looking round we have decided we will definately stay home and go to France ans Spain on Holidays I never appreciated how genuinely friendly and helpful the people are still here, so it was worth the loss of my savings if it takes the wunderlust (spl) out of my system and I settle for good, how I envy contented people who are just happy with their lot. Just another little update on the car, I told you the whole palavour with the test centre, but we got our certificate saying it had passed, WELL: got a phone call yesterday from the manager to tell me in fact it had'nt passed, hand break was'nt working, so I would have to bring the cert back, and go through the test again I was in a state of disbelief I just went along with everything, brought the cert back, the guy was lovely and so apologetic, and he is going to try and get both the iva and mot done on the same day at no extra charge never heard of anyone having this trouble, but you know I said to my husband if this had happened in Canada I would have been so stressed out, here I just laughed about it. Also for anyone thinking of bring their car home, make sure you have lived out of the country for 12 months (or you will have to pay duty and tax) also make sure you bring proof you've live out of the country ie utility bill bank details, I had shredded mine and only kept the last few months so it was a nightmare, when I emiled my bank in Canada to see if they would email me a letter to state the date I opened my account, they were VERY nice telling me of course, just a little charge of $15 I told them their charges were stupid and to forget it, to get the machanical hand book for our car (which no longer comes with the casr when you buy it $195) the man at our MOT centre told me no way was he going to let us pay that, and he sorted out the answers we needed for the IVA test, no charge, my bank is sending me out copies of statements as we need new uk driving licences no charge the Chevrolet dealership gave us a letter for customs valuing our car, no charge, I just could not believe it, I am so delighted at the genuiness that I took for granted, so you all have this to look forward to, I have to say I found the Canadian government offices better organised than ours, but everything can't be perfect Yes Fish we lived in England in the 80's , and loved it and met some beautiful people, we loved the english countryside and most of all pubs!!!! the villages, and humour, we were there through some of the worst of the troubles and never found anything only friendliness, as a matter of fact we had an old war veteran as one of our regular customers Albert, had his own tankard kept at the pub, we used to talk all the time, and he told me stories of the war, I loved him, and I still think about him, I know he must of passed now, but their experiences what they lived through sometimes I think our youngones should be sent to a boot camp to live as they had too, and they were such gentlemen compared to today I have only respect for that whole generation, sorry again for the long posts, I love talking to you all Denise

Great post Denise, it seems the people in Ireland are taking care you you, even the car dealer didnt charge you.

The People, the pubs the humor and Villages are things I miss alot.
You mentioned the Customer Albert, so did you have pub?.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi Fish and Rodney, thanks so much for your best wishes, and you are both right, as my husband and I talked more and still looking round we have decided we will definately stay home and go to France ans Spain on Holidays I never appreciated how genuinely friendly and helpful the people are still here, so it was worth the loss of my savings if it takes the wunderlust (spl) out of my system and I settle for good, how I envy contented people who are just happy with their lot. Just another little update on the car, I told you the whole palavour with the test centre, but we got our certificate saying it had passed, WELL: got a phone call yesterday from the manager to tell me in fact it had'nt passed, hand break was'nt working, so I would have to bring the cert back, and go through the test again I was in a state of disbelief I just went along with everything, brought the cert back, the guy was lovely and so apologetic, and he is going to try and get both the iva and mot done on the same day at no extra charge never heard of anyone having this trouble, but you know I said to my husband if this had happened in Canada I would have been so stressed out, here I just laughed about it. Also for anyone thinking of bring their car home, make sure you have lived out of the country for 12 months (or you will have to pay duty and tax) also make sure you bring proof you've live out of the country ie utility bill bank details, I had shredded mine and only kept the last few months so it was a nightmare, when I emiled my bank in Canada to see if they would email me a letter to state the date I opened my account, they were VERY nice telling me of course, just a little charge of $15 I told them their charges were stupid and to forget it, to get the machanical hand book for our car (which no longer comes with the casr when you buy it $195) the man at our MOT centre told me no way was he going to let us pay that, and he sorted out the answers we needed for the IVA test, no charge, my bank is sending me out copies of statements as we need new uk driving licences no charge the Chevrolet dealership gave us a letter for customs valuing our car, no charge, I just could not believe it, I am so delighted at the genuiness that I took for granted, so you all have this to look forward to, I have to say I found the Canadian government offices better organised than ours, but everything can't be perfect Yes Fish we lived in England in the 80's , and loved it and met some beautiful people, we loved the english countryside and most of all pubs!!!! the villages, and humour, we were there through some of the worst of the troubles and never found anything only friendliness, as a matter of fact we had an old war veteran as one of our regular customers Albert, had his own tankard kept at the pub, we used to talk all the time, and he told me stories of the war, I loved him, and I still think about him, I know he must of passed now, but their experiences what they lived through sometimes I think our youngones should be sent to a boot camp to live as they had too, and they were such gentlemen compared to today I have only respect for that whole generation, sorry again for the long posts, I love talking to you all Denise
Hi Denise,
So pleased that you have decided to settle in Ireland, Spain is right on your doorstep and so is France, and whenever we need a nice holiday Spain is a short distance away for us to get a couple of weeks of fun & sun, Im sure I will be taking a nice couple of weeks in Spain every now and again, I have always enjoyed that country, but would not like to live there though,
You said two things in this post that I have always agreed with,
#1 is about Albert and his tankard and war stories, I to have nothing but respect for that generation before us,
And #2 I also have always envied people that are quite contented & happy with there lot in life,
Nice to know that your car finally made it through everything,
Rodney.

Last edited by jasper123; Aug 21st 2010 at 8:54 am. Reason: mispeled word
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Congrats on your license ED
Rodney are you in the garage yet? It's early and still cool outside, get out of bed and sort boxes
Hi Mummy and charleygirl,
The reason that I cant tackle the garage until Monday is that is my next day off from work, I work over the weekend,
But thanks for the nagging, I sure do need that,
On Monday the temps are going to be the same as every day this time of year like about 110 ---- and it will be soooo hot and I will be sweating the whole day like a wee pig onk onk but I will definitely start first thing in the morning and devote the entire day to sorting and chucking all the piles of boxes in the garage,
And then when its all over with I will have a nice cold beer and maybe a shot or two of my bacardi gold rum
Rodney.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Oh well, thats enough excitment for one day, never mind at least I have my licence.
Congrats also from me on your licence pegie, well now you are forced to buy an automatic car, you will be much happier with that anyway, I know I would be, and you should be able to find one if you look around good when the time comes, auctions seem to be a great way of getting a good deal,
Rodney,
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I read your post and you got me curious about it. You could have gone back on QM2 Cunard with the unlimited baggage allowance? Lets see if those boxes cost you more than $1500 for the 11 boxes (10+1), plus the one way air fare, but the boat fare would have only been $899. The only thing is they say all your luggage has to fit in your stateroom, unlike before when it went down in the hold, but then again I think the stateroom/cabin are a lot bigger than when I came over in 1955 so maybe it could be done. I also wondered if the liners carry cars like they use to. Maybe a savings there. I think this could be a good tip for anyone going back to the UK permanently. Consider going back by ship to save money. The best fare is $899 and could be a lot lower. Ad to this as someone mentioned the border officials are lot more accommodating at Southampton than Heathrow. Maybe this could be a way for the future, go by ship like in the old days. I know being in a plane for 7 hours gets to me sometimes together with the bad service and charges for baggage. It use to be the other way around.
Cheers
Yes cheers you are right about ship travel from the past could be a great way to return home for the future, lots of savings and advantages,
I too hate flying, not only does it scare me, but the whole long trip home, and for me it takes 11 hours non stop from Vegas to Gatwick, the last time I was home for a 3 week holiday was five years ago ---- airlines were much more accommodating then, good service and everything,
Not sure what to expect these days with all the extra charges & cut backs,
I am flying with Virgin so I hope they have not changed too much, I will just be takeing one free suitcase plus one extra suitcase and a carry on, the extra suitcase will cost me $45 which is not bad I suppose,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS November 30th is so quickly approaching
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:45 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, I last flew on Virgin 2 years ago and I thought they were great. When we go back on our short break next month, we have to go to Manchester, so we're going on American Airlines. I'm not looking forward to it at all - it will be cramped, packed solid and an overnight flight also - ugh.

Good for you with the garage plans! You know that now you've told us, you HAVE to do it. If not there will be a whole army of people shouting at you
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Rodney, I last flew on Virgin 2 years ago and I thought they were great. When we go back on our short break next month, we have to go to Manchester, so we're going on American Airlines. I'm not looking forward to it at all - it will be cramped, packed solid and an overnight flight also - ugh.

Good for you with the garage plans! You know that now you've told us, you HAVE to do it. If not there will be a whole army of people shouting at you
Thanks sallysimmons,
I think that Virgin is one of the airlines that have not cut back on there service too much,
Enjoy your short break home next month,
Yes I know now that I have told everyone that Monday is my big garage sorting day that now I have to actually go through with it,
(thats why I told everyone) I never break a promise, so it will be done --- thanks to you and everyone else
Rodney.
Well got to get ready for work now, my shift is 4pm till 12 midnight 5 days a week, oh boy I am shore looking forward to my well earned retirement in England, me and Mum a couple of old age pensioners,
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a few years since we flew Atlantic Virgin LAS to GAT I think, anyway I can't get DW back with them because the seats were so cramped. You no when you drop something on the floor everyone on the row has to stand up and go in the isle so you can pick it up. Another thing was when we came back and the plane was loading we found a family had taken our seats. The attendant booted them out and my DW feels the family deliberately smeared soft chocolate all over the seat so in turn we got it all over our clothes.
I think British Midland got bought by KLM so they don't serve Las Vegas anymore, so that leaves us with British Airways and I bet they only go into Heathrow which is our last choice. Other than that a good airline.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Well things have certainly been busy since we arrived back in the UK in May. After temping since June I finally started my full-time job on Friday - money isn't great but it's a start. I've also managed to get myself a little car - second hand - but an absolute bargain at £400 with 12 month's MOT, 4 mnths tax.

Now on to the question of driving licence ... I have my Georgia licence (I surrendered my UK licence when I had my US one) It's going to be a pain getting to work tihs week without a car - one train, two buses in each direction so thought what I'd do is drive on my US licence - from what I see I can use that for up to a year?) - this way I won't have to wait for my UK licence to come back. Can anyone see any problems with that?

I still have to get insurance sorted as well ...anyone have any recommendations?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Lara45
Well things have certainly been busy since we arrived back in the UK in May. After temping since June I finally started my full-time job on Friday - money isn't great but it's a start. I've also managed to get myself a little car - second hand - but an absolute bargain at £400 with 12 month's MOT, 4 mnths tax.

direction so thought what I'd do is drive on my US licence - from what I see I can use that for up to a year?) - this way I won't have to wait for my UK licence to come back. Can anyone see any problems with that?

I still have to get insurance sorted as well ...anyone have any recommendations?
Hello Lara, We are at present in Thailand, and as my Wife will be able to drive in the UK, on her license when we go back, for up to a year, I should imagine the same applies from the States. Now, for insurance - easiest is online ( Use Paypal?) try Direct Line, Swintons, Frizzels ( Liverpool Victoria) or Saga, and get several quotes, go for ''Third party Fire and theft'', if you wish to keep it cheap and cheerful. regards Dontheturner
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:19 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45

Now on to the question of driving licence ... I have my Georgia licence (I surrendered my UK licence when I had my US one) It's going to be a pain getting to work tihs week without a car - one train, two buses in each direction so thought what I'd do is drive on my US licence - from what I see I can use that for up to a year?) - this way I won't have to wait for my UK licence to come back. Can anyone see any problems with that?

Make sure you apply for a provisional licence and pass you test before the 12 months is up otherwise you will have to comply with UK regs to driving with a qualified passanger (you don't need to do this in the 12 month period).
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Hallo Lara, If you complete your insurance on line you usualy save around 10% of the premium. coparethe market is quite good, as well as the companies that Don suggested. I myself have always had pretty good deals with Aviva,(formaly Norwich Union), and if your car is only worth a few hundred pounds,by all means get a third party quote. Sometimes the difference in TP and comprehensive is not as big as you might have thought.
Do as Don says and get as many quotes as you can, as it will save you money in the long run. Best of luck.
Ray.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

anyone heard from the lady who moved to Malta lately? Unless I missed a post of hers!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Its been a few years since we flew Atlantic Virgin LAS to GAT I think, anyway I can't get DW back with them because the seats were so cramped. You no when you drop something on the floor everyone on the row has to stand up and go in the isle so you can pick it up. Another thing was when we came back and the plane was loading we found a family had taken our seats. The attendant booted them out and my DW feels the family deliberately smeared soft chocolate all over the seat so in turn we got it all over our clothes.
I think British Midland got bought by KLM so they don't serve Las Vegas anymore, so that leaves us with British Airways and I bet they only go into Heathrow which is our last choice. Other than that a good airline.
My In-laws took the Birmingham to Las Vegas flight on BMI first class, they were so impressed they reccomended we use B.M.I. the next time we came home.

In my 34 years of flying my Best flight was with British Midland Intl, Chicago to Birmingham (coach), Id traveled from Portland to Chicago and had to get wheelchair assistance to the BMI gate for my father, a guy picked us up as we arrived and took us directly to the BMI gate, the longest airport walk ever, we would usually stop and have a bite along the way, They started boarding as soon as we arrived at the gate and we'd had the nothing to eat, In essence we were caught off guard, We got on board and the stewardess took care of all our needs, Maltesers, Walnut whips, Chocolate digestives, Walkers crisps and other numerous British snacks, anything we wanted was no trouble for this lady and that lasted the whole trip, plus her attitude was Excellent, as I say Best Ever...
Soon after that they were bought out by KLM...
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748
anyone heard from the lady who moved to Malta lately? Unless I missed a post of hers!
Not heard a word from Anna...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.