Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:10 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning Everyone,

First, let me thank everyone who sent such lovely pm's to me in the last few weeks. The thoughts and wishes from everyone on this thread were most appreciated.

The last few weeks have been very difficult, without going into a lot of detail, I was unfairly let go from my position at Craig Tara. For some reason this sent me into a horrible tail spin that seemed to spiral almost out of control. I could not let my husband know as it would cause him a lot of stress and therefore I felt so isolated and almost as if someone in my life had died. I felt that I was grieving, spent many days in tears most of the time and knew that if I did not do something to get myself out of this way of thinking it could become dire. The lonelyness, oh my goodness the lonelyness was overwelming, you know how they say you can feel lonely in a room full of people, well that certainly was true for me.

I was sending out CV's and did write a very long letter to head office of Bourne-leisure, (Craig Tara) and outlined the verbal abuse that I had been exposed to by a certain manager. When I wrote the letter it was more theraputic than than thinking I would get a response, but I did. I had a meeting with the General Manager and the outcome was that he agreed that I had not been treated fairly and that he would try to find a different position within Craig Tara for me. In the mean time I had applied for a position as Head Housekeeper for the largest Hotel in Ayr and was interviewed for the position last week. Yesterday, I not only recieved a call from not only the Hotel offering me the position but also a call from Craig Tara offering me a position and after carefully deliberation I decided to accept the position at the Hotel. So now I am now again gainfully employed.

Please, forgive me for not writing on this thread but I felt that I did not want to seem like a moaner and really I was just not in the right frame of mind to write. Again thank you for all the wonderful thoughts of support, they are very much appreciated and a great tribute to Tottytrue who saw the need to start this thread.

Chris, hope you have a great flight and arrive safely. Barb sorry to hear that things are hard for you in Australia. Anna, seems like you are having a great time in Malta, I have subscribed to a recruitment agency for position in Malta, so you never know. A great big welcome to all the new people on the thread, Con, sorry, I missed your call and also to hear about your mom. If I have missed anyone, please forgive me. Again, thank you
ED I'm so happy to hear things are looking up for you. You are so courageous and you have been through so much to get to where you are now. Don't let anyone steal your joy, hold on to it and remember what you have achieved. If you feel lonely just jump on to the forum, at least one of us will be here tapping away. TT just look at what you have achieved, you have started this thread and we are able to provide gentle support to each other...some people climb Mt Everest while others are just angels in disguise. Take care ED so many people here are thinking of you .
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:16 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Peigi,

We have all missed you so much and it's fantastic you came back to your BE ever growing "family" - I know what it's like to get into that depressing spiral, so please for anybody else out there who is feeling like that, do post on here, vent, whine, cry, whatever, we are all like a little family on here.

Oh Peigi, such WONDERFUL news about the jobs, congratulations.

Once again it's FANTASTIC to have you back.

Let's get the party started to celebrate!

For the ladies -

A beer for the boys

And a nice bit of cake

Barb
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Peigi,

We have all missed you so much and it's fantastic you came back to your BE ever growing "family" - I know what it's like to get into that depressing spiral, so please for anybody else out there who is feeling like that, do post on here, vent, whine, cry, whatever, we are all like a little family on here.

Oh Peigi, such WONDERFUL news about the jobs, congratulations.

Once again it's FANTASTIC to have you back.

Let's get the party started to celebrate!

For the ladies -

A beer for the boys

And a nice bit of cake

Barb
Yes, Peigi, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! When one door closes another opens - see what happened!!!! Shame you had to go through all the anguish and suffering before it did, but now you are back out of the tunnel and it's full steam ahead. As Barb says, do please try and get back on here if you are down, I know it is hard to do, but reading a few kind words from even a complete stranger can make us miraculously feel better!! Lelt me know what happens with the Malta thing!!

Barb, more cake for me please, and I will have a Guinness instead of the wine!!

Anna in windy Malta today!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Peigi touched on the bad feelings of loneliness she has had lately. Although I do believe that, if you are happy within yourself, then you can never be lonely, I must admit to feelings of being alone sometimes. I guess there is a difference. What I mean is I am here in Malta on my own - didn't know a soul when I arrived a month ago. I have met people whom I would now consider to be acquaintances and some of them friends. But what I don't have here of course are the friends who knew me in the USA. I don't have anyone here who knows the 'old me', the baggage I carried, the trauma I went through to get here. Funnily enough, sometimes that makes things difficult. When I am down (rarely but it can happen, like it did Monday), I don't have someone here who can relate to what I am feeling in the context of that past of mine. Phones, emails, even this site, just don't do it. Sometimes we need the face to face contact. Maybe, Peigi, that's what you are missing too.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Everyone,

First, let me thank everyone who sent such lovely pm's to me in the last few weeks. The thoughts and wishes from everyone on this thread were most appreciated.

The last few weeks have been very difficult, without going into a lot of detail, I was unfairly let go from my position at Craig Tara. For some reason this sent me into a horrible tail spin that seemed to spiral almost out of control. I could not let my husband know as it would cause him a lot of stress and therefore I felt so isolated and almost as if someone in my life had died. I felt that I was grieving, spent many days in tears most of the time and knew that if I did not do something to get myself out of this way of thinking it could become dire. The lonelyness, oh my goodness the lonelyness was overwelming, you know how they say you can feel lonely in a room full of people, well that certainly was true for me.

I was sending out CV's and did write a very long letter to head office of Bourne-leisure, (Craig Tara) and outlined the verbal abuse that I had been exposed to by a certain manager. When I wrote the letter it was more theraputic than than thinking I would get a response, but I did. I had a meeting with the General Manager and the outcome was that he agreed that I had not been treated fairly and that he would try to find a different position within Craig Tara for me. In the mean time I had applied for a position as Head Housekeeper for the largest Hotel in Ayr and was interviewed for the position last week. Yesterday, I not only recieved a call from not only the Hotel offering me the position but also a call from Craig Tara offering me a position and after carefully deliberation I decided to accept the position at the Hotel. So now I am now again gainfully employed.

Please, forgive me for not writing on this thread but I felt that I did not want to seem like a moaner and really I was just not in the right frame of mind to write. Again thank you for all the wonderful thoughts of support, they are very much appreciated and a great tribute to Tottytrue who saw the need to start this thread.

Chris, hope you have a great flight and arrive safely. Barb sorry to hear that things are hard for you in Australia. Anna, seems like you are having a great time in Malta, I have subscribed to a recruitment agency for position in Malta, so you never know. A great big welcome to all the new people on the thread, Con, sorry, I missed your call and also to hear about your mom. If I have missed anyone, please forgive me. Again, thank you
I'm just glad to hear you are OK,and congrats on the new job.
You shouldn't feel bad if you need to come here and have a moan, after all isn't that what it's here for? To give support to each other. So moan away and ignore any negative comments in favor of those who want to help.
Any news on the house sale front?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Peigi touched on the bad feelings of loneliness she has had lately. Although I do believe that, if you are happy within yourself, then you can never be lonely, I must admit to feelings of being alone sometimes. I guess there is a difference. What I mean is I am here in Malta on my own - didn't know a soul when I arrived a month ago. I have met people whom I would now consider to be acquaintances and some of them friends. But what I don't have here of course are the friends who knew me in the USA. I don't have anyone here who knows the 'old me', the baggage I carried, the trauma I went through to get here. Funnily enough, sometimes that makes things difficult. When I am down (rarely but it can happen, like it did Monday), I don't have someone here who can relate to what I am feeling in the context of that past of mine. Phones, emails, even this site, just don't do it. Sometimes we need the face to face contact. Maybe, Peigi, that's what you are missing too.
I do believe that you may be right Anna, for me especially it is the missing of my husband, who is also my best friend, we did everything together and always talked over our day at the end of the day. It is also the small things that I miss, the other Sunday I went to the beach and was sitting on the sand, next to me was a couple close to our age. They were getting ready to go and they were helping each other pack up and putting the chairs back in their canvas holders, it brought tears to my eyes, as this is something that we would do as a couple. Silly things like that, make my heart ache. As I said to my friend when she visited on Friday, the flat is great, but it has no soul in it, I never thought I would say but I miss the clutter that having a partner brings to your life.

I think also the worry of not knowing how I would be able to survive financially without employment added pressure to the situation. We have had a couple of showings on the house but nothing else as of yet. My plans are that I need to save as much as I can to get my husband and dogs over as soon as I can and the house be hanged. The losing of the job at Craig Tara, set me back, not only plan wise for my husbands visa application but also financially. As I have been told that I must be employed and financially independent of all government help for at least 6 months, therefore these plans have now been set back three months again. Again thanks everyone.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe that you may be right Anna, for me especially it is the missing of my husband, who is also my best friend, we did everything together and always talked over our day at the end of the day. It is also the small things that I miss, the other Sunday I went to the beach and was sitting on the sand, next to me was a couple close to our age. They were getting ready to go and they were helping each other pack up and putting the chairs back in their canvas holders, it brought tears to my eyes, as this is something that we would do as a couple. Silly things like that, make my heart ache. As I said to my friend when she visited on Friday, the flat is great, but it has no soul in it, I never thought I would say but I miss the clutter that having a partner brings to your life.

I think also the worry of not knowing how I would be able to survive financially without employment added pressure to the situation. We have had a couple of showings on the house but nothing else as of yet. My plans are that I need to save as much as I can to get my husband and dogs over as soon as I can and the house be hanged. The losing of the job at Craig Tara, set me back, not only plan wise for my husbands visa application but also financially. As I have been told that I must be employed and financially independent of all government help for at least 6 months, therefore these plans have now been set back three months again. Again thanks everyone.
Just wanted to send my best wishes to you ED. You are a very strong lady, and can overcome this period in time. Hopefully the 6 months will fly by for you and your husband will be with you before you know it
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

That's awful, that your plans are put back 3 months. Is that because hubby is not a UK citizen??? That doesn't seem fair, surely as your spouse he should be able to come over without any restrictions...am I living in a fantasy world?? (Well, yes I am, but even so...).

Of course you miss him, and it is always the little things that trigger our emotions and memories, I feel for you.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

EasternDawn, I was happy to see you on the board again. So glad you took the job at hotel in Ayr - really wish you well.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Huge CONGRATULATIONS on your new job Peigi. It was good you got the apology and offer of a new job from your previous employment but I think you chose very wisely moving on to something new. I hope you will be really happy there and that this is the start of something great.
Cheers,
David
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

ED.. Sooo Happy to see you back it must have been so difficult but you are now back on track. If I were you I would keep any correspondence from Tora Tora (good name for them) so that if anyone in the future questions why you left that position you have evidence of what happened. There are some very nasty people in this world and you had to meet one of them.

Aces 1...Your comment about sharing your inner most feelling with someone you can trust and who understands what you are going through is so right. Without being able to share I find things get all bottled up and can make you ill but with that special person to share with it seems to take the worries off your shoulders. loneliness and isolation can be bad for your health and bring on depressions. True friends are to be treasured.

By the way I have said this before and I forget who it was but someone did suggest we make a special forum for us older folks I was just the one that did it and all of you contributing keeps it going and even if people leave and move on thats alright they have managed to get to where they want to. Its still good to hear from those who make the move like ED and Aces and others it gives us an idea as to what we can expect when we finally make the move or why some of us choose not to or return. All is helpful.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

I am just doing some more work on the Settlement Visa application and am wondering if anyone might know what documentation is acceptable for an Accommodation Statement in support of the applicant.

Could this be as simple as a utility bill or do they require something more official regarding home ownership.

17 boxes packed to date and loads have gone to charity. Planning another Yard Sale for June.

It's so good to continually read on this thread that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks so much,
David
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to "meet" all of you! There is so much going on in this thread it is hard to keep up.

Me: Quoll (female, no names, Canberra is a very small place and say two things about someone and someone else is bound to know you and I would rather not have that happen)
Age 61 Married almost 37 years to an Aussie I met on holiday as a student
Born in Cambridge, uni in London then lived 2+ years in PNG when first married, 3 years in Bristol before coming here 31 years 2 months and 6 days ago (who's counting?)
2 kids one in UK (what was that about a gap "year" - almost 8 years and couting) and one in Aus with 1 and a bit grandkids (second one due November)
Have always known that Australia was good for a holiday but not where I wanted to spend my retirement, unfortunately have a died in the wool Aussie husband who thinks he would die if he had to live in UK (just a question of who dies first then really, isnt it?)
Survive by going home at least once a year and am planning the next trip - looks like Oct/Nov after all even with new grandbub on the way (they dont need me for a new baby, I am NOT the maternal kind) so if I arrive a couple of weeks late I wont have missed much and neither will s/he.

Am full of admiration for those of you who do make it back and make a go of it despite some pretty monster challenges. I think you are all an inspiration and it is amazing that this thread has been such a star thread with a real community feel to it. I often miss some of your stories but I wish you all the very best.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:44 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HighTide
17 boxes packed to date and loads have gone to charity. Planning another Yard Sale for June.

It's so good to continually read on this thread that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks so much,
David
David, you are doing the right thing by getting everything done early.
The 6 weeks since we got a contract on our house has been a whirlwind. Busy busy busy. We kept the house fully furnished to show it for sale. Th emonths up to that had been busy re-decorating so all our 'disposal' period has been in the past 6 weeks, doable but busy if well organized, has been harder to do while working a job at same time.
Have been selling all our stuff on GraigsList (very successful) and a couple yard sales (not so productive).
DH's 10 year convertible sold today, and same guy offered to buy my 16 yr old sedan which we are holding on to until a few days before we leave then we getting a rental car with airmiles to tide us over.
Getting close to our date now, very little left in the house, we are renting it back from the new owner for 10 days in exchange for some furniture.
Our sea shipping boxes get picked up next week, has ended up being not the full two pallets we had quoted so a bit of saving there.
Cat goes for vet exam next Mon and then we take docs to USDA (fortunately they have office nearby) for verification.
A trip or two more to the dump to clear the decks then we ready to move out a week this Friday. We are using airmiles for hotel for the last 5 days so they have saved us quite a bit, took a long time to collect but has now been worthwhile.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:41 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
Lovely to "meet" all of you! There is so much going on in this thread it is hard to keep up.

Me: Quoll (female, no names, Canberra is a very small place and say two things about someone and someone else is bound to know you and I would rather not have that happen)
Age 61 Married almost 37 years to an Aussie I met on holiday as a student
Born in Cambridge, uni in London then lived 2+ years in PNG when first married, 3 years in Bristol before coming here 31 years 2 months and 6 days ago (who's counting?)
2 kids one in UK (what was that about a gap "year" - almost 8 years and couting) and one in Aus with 1 and a bit grandkids (second one due November)
Have always known that Australia was good for a holiday but not where I wanted to spend my retirement, unfortunately have a died in the wool Aussie husband who thinks he would die if he had to live in UK (just a question of who dies first then really, isnt it?)
Survive by going home at least once a year and am planning the next trip - looks like Oct/Nov after all even with new grandbub on the way (they dont need me for a new baby, I am NOT the maternal kind) so if I arrive a couple of weeks late I wont have missed much and neither will s/he.

Am full of admiration for those of you who do make it back and make a go of it despite some pretty monster challenges. I think you are all an inspiration and it is amazing that this thread has been such a star thread with a real community feel to it. I often miss some of your stories but I wish you all the very best.
We really have to get this coffee thing sorted out Quoll. We might be in England at the same time - small world. You are so right about Canberra. My son and daughter are both Directors in the Public Service so you can imagine how the jungle telegraph works Our new grandchild in due in Jan and I can tell you I am certainly not needed - other family and all that. Ah well, another day in beautiful Canberra, the oak trees and bluebells and the smell of all the green grass - there I go again - dreaming. Have a lovely day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.